Following Marvel's Avengers

First Previous
  • Switch-v85 5 Aug 2020 13:31:41 4,097 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Couldn't find a thread for this. It's out next month.

Linked some new footage they showed last week.

Looks bang average to my eyes.
  • JamboWayOh 5 Aug 2020 13:37:48 21,097 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's my feelings, the PlayStation exclusive features such as Spider-Man being a PS exclusive character also sour it too.
  • Decks 5 Aug 2020 13:44:43 26,870 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Think that's more to do with Sony holding the rights to Spiderman then anything else.
  • JamboWayOh 5 Aug 2020 13:47:39 21,097 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This was something I'm not actually sure about, I'm aware they hold the movie rights but wasn't sure if that also extends to game rights too.

Edit: no, just checked the internets and Sony do not own the video game rights, they've just paid to make the character exclusive for their version of the game. I'm definitely not of a fan of this practice tbh.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 13:51:52 05-08-2020
  • Switch-v85 5 Aug 2020 13:53:26 4,097 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There could be more to it. It woudln't surprise me if there's something in the deal that they made with Marvel when they renegotiated to have Spidey in the MCU.
  • Derblington 5 Aug 2020 13:54:01 34,075 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I donít think they do hold the game rights, itís just some savvy business considering they just smashed out a huge Spider-man title with another on the way at Xmas. If thereís a character to shoot for itís the one that people already associate with your console.

Iím really torn on he game itself. For the most part is looks average but Iíve seen a few things more recently that gave me a bit of hope. Realistically Iím too much of a Marvel fanboy to pass it up regardless.
  • sport 5 Aug 2020 13:54:17 16,342 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm gonna be Black Widow.
  • Derblington 5 Aug 2020 13:55:44 34,075 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    There could be more to it. It woudln't surprise me if there's something in the deal that they made with Marvel when they renegotiated to have Spidey in the MCU.
    Marvel have been trying to get some decent games out, hence shopping them around. They went to Sony asking to make a game - Insomniac had free reign and chose Spider-man. Itís not connected to the MCU deal.
  • DFawkes 5 Aug 2020 14:02:25 32,649 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've been really hyped about this for a while but didn't create a thread because I didn't think the lovely EG crowd were that fussy. It doesn't look like it does anything original but I'm honestly fine with that. Heck, some of the gameplay videos aren't all that far removed from Disney Infinity 2.0s combat, but I loved that.

I already have the beta downloaded so really looking forward to this weekend :D I don't expect any surprises though.
  • Switch-v85 5 Aug 2020 14:04:41 4,097 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm just speculating about this game, the MCU deal was renegotiated last year so who knows what other stuff Sony tried to get out of Marvel.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Aug 2020 14:06:07 33,272 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The PS exclusive Spiderman is some grade A games industry bullshit.
  • Switch-v85 5 Aug 2020 14:06:38 4,097 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DFawkes I'm interested, it could be a lot of fun but it just looks very unimaginative. I'm also really not keen on games as service, spent far too much of this gen playing Destiny.
  • Steve-Perry 5 Aug 2020 14:08:22 2,040 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Switch024 wrote:

Yikes at all the cringe reaction folk near the start of that. My cheeks fully retracted into my anus watching that.

THAT'S 100% MODOK! OH IT'S MODOK
  • JamboWayOh 5 Aug 2020 14:12:55 21,097 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    The PS exclusive Spiderman is some grade A games industry bullshit.
    Yeah, I could tolerate it if it were a timed exclusive but now you're just a gimped version if you're not on PlayStation.
  • robthehermit 5 Aug 2020 14:19:32 7,985 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The exclusivity doesn't stop at Spidey though:

PlayStation owners will also get 30-days exclusive access to a Legendary Outfit, Legendary Emote, Epic Takedown, and nameplate for every new hero upon their release. This includes all six launch day heroes.

Crystal Dynamics has confirmed it's prepping a series of Community Challenges that will only be available to PlayStation players.

PlayStation Plus subscribers will receive a free bundle containing a Rare Outfit, nameplate, and 100 Credits with the arrival of each new post-launch hero, starting with Hawkeye. They'll also receive a special Ms. Marvel bundle on launch day.

This game is shaping up to be a PS exclusive in all but name.
  • Derblington 5 Aug 2020 14:20:08 34,075 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I mean it's shit, and it shouldn't be a thing, but it's not so bad to forfeit 99% of the product because you aren't getting 1% of it some time next year.
  • Dazimus 5 Aug 2020 14:22:06 1,419 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Derblington I feel like the people saying theyíll boycott it weíre never likely to buy it to begin with to be honest.
  • beastmaster 5 Aug 2020 14:23:26 21,395 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Looks like early impressions are poor for people who have played it. No surprises there.
  • Derblington 5 Aug 2020 14:24:29 34,075 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The first Beta is running this weekend for pre-orders. Should hear a lot about it next week.
  • robthehermit 5 Aug 2020 14:25:53 7,985 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'll definitely be playing it at some point because Marvel, it still sucks though.
  • Decks 5 Aug 2020 14:26:28 26,870 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is it multiplayer focused or something? Something always looks off with it whenever I've watched the videos.
  • robthehermit 5 Aug 2020 14:27:18 7,985 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    The first Beta is running this weekend for pre-orders. Should hear a lot about it next week.
    PS preorders anyway. Xbox and PC povvos have to wait until next week.
  • DFawkes 5 Aug 2020 14:31:12 32,649 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Is it multiplayer focused or something? Something always looks off with it whenever I've watched the videos.
    Yeah, it's designed for multiplayer. The story will run fine without human buddies, the AI just runs the rest of your team. I think only the raid-style content is multiplayer only, because they're designed to be more of a team-based challenge that requires more co-ordination (like using your support skills to help each other).
  • Derblington 5 Aug 2020 14:47:17 34,075 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    PS preorders anyway. Xbox and PC povvos have to wait until next week.
    Yeah, and the 3rd weekend is open to everyone.
    Still, plenty of info will be forthcoming so if it's not worth bothering with we'll find out before launch.
  • JamboWayOh 5 Aug 2020 14:48:36 21,097 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    https://www.ign.com/articles/marvels-avengers-beta-the-final-preview

Hmmmm.
  • beastmaster 5 Aug 2020 14:51:11 21,395 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Forgot how much I hate IGN and their website design. Lasted about 4 seconds before c losing.
  • JamboWayOh 5 Aug 2020 14:54:07 21,097 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Essentially it says it seems ok, but there's a worry that there will be multiplayer style basic missions in the campaign, the mp has some glaring issues regarding character choice and levelling and apparently there's no way to communicate in mp without voice comms, so no ping or that shit just a bunch of people running around and will there be enough content to keep you interested. I dunno I just don't see a reason why this had to be a GaaS.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 15:20:08 05-08-2020
  • DFawkes 5 Aug 2020 15:05:14 32,649 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    As much as I'm hyped for it, it really doesn't feel like a natural fit for GaaS. At first I can see it being busy enough as players fire through the main story, then maybe a bit of the War Table, but past that will it have legs? For most players, I'm not really sure.

Adding characters is nice but in a game where it doesn't allow duplicate heroes, is it really wise releasing 1 at a time so everyone is fighting to pick them?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Aug 2020 15:05:38 33,272 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I mean it's shit, and it shouldn't be a thing, but it's not so bad to forfeit 99% of the product because you aren't getting 1% of it some time next year.
    I'd say Spiderman counts as somewhat more than 1% of an Avengers game.
  • JamboWayOh 5 Aug 2020 15:21:37 21,097 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    As much as I'm hyped for it, it really doesn't feel like a natural fit for GaaS. At first I can see it being busy enough as players fire through the main story, then maybe a bit of the War Table, but past that will it have legs? For most players, I'm not really sure.

Adding characters is nice but in a game where it doesn't allow duplicate heroes, is it really wise releasing 1 at a time so everyone is fighting to pick them?
    Yeah it's not well thought out, especially as most people will main one character like most mp games.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.