Following Marvel's Avengers Page 3

• Derblington 6 Aug 2020 11:17:58 34,075 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nobody here is up in arms, no, but any ďIím now boycotting this titleĒ is more than is needed. If you like the look of the game, buy it and enjoy it.
    Iím in agreement that exclusivity in 3rd party is generally unnecessary. Timed exclusivity i donít mind so much, depending on time frame - 3 months is an ideal maximum, imo.

But if a company pays development costs for specific features/content to be produced for their platform/service I canít say I mind that much. Itís a slightly different thing, essentially 2nd party content.

By the same token, if MS want to fund a Wolverine content pack, fill yer boots. Would I like access ideally, sure, would I care enough to forfeit the game or complain, no.

Edited by Derblington at 11:18:29 06-08-2020
  • Ultrasoundwave 6 Aug 2020 11:22:47 6,127 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Been listening to the previews and the general consensus seems to be that itís ď7/10 combat in 5/10 environments with 9/10 story and 5/10 side missionsĒ

Oh, and Microtransactions.

I should be a reviewer....
    And letís not forgot, they (Sony/Disney/Square/CD) are fucking over Xbox and pc players by excluding a pretty significant character from the avengers line up!
    I donít see how anyone can see this Spider-Man exclusivity as a good thing (unless youíre a Sony fanboy).

Spider-Man isnít ďexclusiveĒ to Playstation.....heís ďexcludedĒ from Xbox & PC, which is a really shitty move.

You could offer Xbox someone like Black Panther and PC could get Doctor Strange or something, but again, itís all about excluding these beloved characters from others.
  • Rhaegyr 6 Aug 2020 12:08:52 5,236 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    Literally the post before mine says it's bullshit.
    It says it twice actually.
    Well yeah but he didn't seem furious about it. There's a difference between enititlement and demanding developers doing thing in a certain way (which is definitely still a thing in games) compared to voicing concerns about practises that seem shitty.
  • Ultrasoundwave 7 Aug 2020 10:37:32 6,127 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Beta is downloading.

Iím going on with appropriate expectations : if this is a ďAAA Ultimate AllianceĒ with Destiny-style infrastructure that will be regularly updated with new (free) content, Iíll be very happy.
  • DjFlex52 7 Aug 2020 10:56:22 333 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Nobody here is up in arms, no, but any ďIím now boycotting this titleĒ is more than is needed. If you like the look of the game, buy it and enjoy it.
    Iím in agreement that exclusivity in 3rd party is generally unnecessary. Timed exclusivity i donít mind so much, depending on time frame - 3 months is an ideal maximum, imo.

But if a company pays development costs for specific features/content to be produced for their platform/service I canít say I mind that much. Itís a slightly different thing, essentially 2nd party content.

By the same token, if MS want to fund a Wolverine content pack, fill yer boots. Would I like access ideally, sure, would I care enough to forfeit the game or complain, no.
    All I know is if it was MS doing it not Sony you'd be whinging...no doubt in my mind.
  • Derblington 7 Aug 2020 12:00:42 34,075 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, but you're an idiot so... *shrug*
  • StarchildHypocrethes 7 Aug 2020 12:06:10 33,272 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Middle-aged console warriors get me all hot and sweaty.
  • Dazimus 7 Aug 2020 12:51:01 1,419 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well thatís embarrassing to read.

Edited by Dazimus at 12:51:16 07-08-2020
  • JamboWayOh 7 Aug 2020 12:52:43 21,097 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DjFlex52 wrote:
    Derblington wrote:

All I know is if it was MS doing it not Sony you'd be whinging...no doubt in my mind.
    Christ, how old are you?
  • Derblington 7 Aug 2020 13:19:32 34,075 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave Apparently Beta opens at 9pm local time.
  • Ultrasoundwave 7 Aug 2020 13:26:17 6,127 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Derblington

Iím playing it right now.
  • Derblington 7 Aug 2020 13:30:44 34,075 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    WUT.
  • Ultrasoundwave 7 Aug 2020 13:40:52 6,127 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I downloaded it, I opened it, iím playing it.

Itís good.

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 13:41:06 07-08-2020
  • Derblington 7 Aug 2020 13:47:14 34,075 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, Iíve booted it up now. I read it started at 9!
  • Ultrasoundwave 7 Aug 2020 14:09:50 6,127 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    9am maybe?, Iíve been on for about 90 mins now.

Fascinating game this.

Firstly, It looks excellent. You can tell this is the team that made the first two Tomb Raider reboot games, it has a very similar aesthetic which is no bad thing because both of those games were also lookers.

Gameplay-wise itís interesting. You get the Golden Gate Bridge demo where you sample each of the main heroes. The combat looks excellent, really top-tier animations and the impact of the combat is satisfying.

There is definitely an argument for button mashing (especially with characters like Thor and Hulk) but Cap and Black Widow are both a bit more technical, which I enjoyed.

The story/acting is spot on (if you can get over each character looking and sounding like an MCU impersonator) and it seems like thereís a half decent story here.

Youíre also introduced to the loot/gear/upgrade systems and Iíll be very curious to see how they turn out in the main game.

Itís the standard sort of thing - you upgrade your melee, ranged, defence and and heroic gear by finding higher-numbered gear in loot stashes.....fairly standard, but the gear at least changes the appearance of your character too, which I like.

You can absolutely see how Square Enix could microtransaction the shit out of this though....and I really hope their not too invasive.

It very much feels like a ď7/10, big budget, simple yet satisfying combatĒ type of game which could get elevated to an 8 depending on the quality of the story.

Thatís the initial impression anyway.
  • Decks 7 Aug 2020 14:13:31 26,870 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is Spider-Man in it?
  • JamboWayOh 7 Aug 2020 14:15:38 21,097 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Is Spider-Man in it?
    He is but only for the Sega Game Gear.
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Aug 2020 15:40:59 10,586 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    Is Spider-Man in it?
    He is but only for the Sega Game Gear.
    He is also just a palette swap of Captain Marvel with her stretchy arms replacing his web.
  • Decks 7 Aug 2020 15:42:37 26,870 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ms Marvel. Shit like that is why you don't deserve Spider-Man.
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Aug 2020 16:08:37 10,586 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I wrote Ms. Marvel... but then i googled it to be sure and it said captain Marvel :(.

I knew her name was Kamela Khan which counts for points right?
  • Decks 7 Aug 2020 16:20:56 26,870 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I didn't even know there was a Ms Marvel until yesterday to be fair.
  • richarddavies 7 Aug 2020 16:24:09 7,943 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Racist.
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Aug 2020 16:24:28 10,586 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    Racist.
    ???
  • ChiefGB 7 Aug 2020 17:17:56 12,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    🤣🤣
  • DjFlex52 7 Aug 2020 17:25:48 333 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Yeah, but you're an idiot so... *shrug*
    Name-calling now? Did I upset you? Truth hurts :|
  • robthehermit 7 Aug 2020 17:25:57 7,985 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    🤣🤣
    To be fair to Grax, there have been 4 Ms Marvels over the years, and given that Captain Marvel used to be called Ms. Marvel and the current Ms. Marvel took her name from the Ms. Marvel who went on to be Captain Marvel, I can see where that shit could get confusing.
  • DjFlex52 7 Aug 2020 17:28:10 333 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    DjFlex52 wrote:
    Derblington wrote:

Christ, how old are you?
    15 yo...I was a baby genius lol

Edited by DjFlex52 at 17:28:47 07-08-2020
  • [maven] 7 Aug 2020 17:39:27 5,701 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just doing the intro mission

The story/acting is spot on (if you can get over each character looking and sounding like an MCU impersonator) and it seems like thereís a half decent story here.
    ...that is my biggest "I don't know" factor...
  • Ultrasoundwave 7 Aug 2020 17:55:24 6,127 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @[maven]

Iíve spent pretty much the whole afternoon with this beta and the ďMCU impersonatorĒ aspect doesnít bother me as much.

The bottom line is that all the characters are well acted and well written, which is the most important thing I guess.

Iíve actually deleted the beta now because I got to the War Table and you get given a LOT of stuff to do - I think I counted at least 10 missions that are available and that doesnít include what youíve already done (Golden Gate Bridge demo, Hulk/Ms Marvel mission, etc).

Iíve deleted it because it seemed like a significant portion of gameplay, which I would personally rather save for the final product.

Ultimately, Iíve been impressed. As I said earlier, this will not be a ď10/10 masterpieceĒ and it will not be in the GOTY discussions at the end of the year.....but itís highly enjoyable with satisfying gameplay, an interesting story and itís looks the part.

Very happy with my pre-order, looking forward to release day!
  • DFawkes 7 Aug 2020 18:14:09 32,649 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm glad they opened it today, I was looking forward to this so much I probably wouldn't have slept :p They certainly haven't been shy with content in the beta.

It's a little less button bashy than I had thought it might be. Bashing buttons will mostly work but the basic enemy types seem to mix it up enough that you're regularly switching attack types. The heroes all feel unique and powerful in their own way.

I'd echo Ultrasoundwave's thoughts, satisfying to play and look the part. They're not trying to win awards for originality but it feels like they did what the set out to do.

Edited by DFawkes at 18:14:22 07-08-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.