Super Mario 3D All-Stars Page 6

  • monkman76 20 Sep 2020 15:47:54 16,816 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You don't think the darkest side of the moon is a challenge?
  • Kay 20 Sep 2020 15:49:53 20,781 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That's just one level though. Sunshine had load of really tough challenges (and not always in a good way).
  • Deleted user 20 September 2020 16:07:46
    Mario Galaxy looks great on my oled. I love it. Muggins here would easily pay £45 just for Galaxy.
  • Malek86 20 Sep 2020 16:08:27 10,767 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Darkest Side of the Moon isn't that hard. It's harder than the final evel in 3D Land, but not even that much.

    Now, the final level in Mario 3D World, that one can go die in a ditch. I never finished it.
  • Gregolution 20 Sep 2020 16:20:42 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    God I love it. Mario 64. Brings back some serious memories.

    I'd just moved out of my family home, in my first rental shit hole , game blew my fucking mind and brought me so much joy. First 3d platformer, first time using analogue sticks, first rumble. Ended up being my first 100% completed game .

    Camera is a lot clunkier than I remember! But controls are perfect. I'm going to love this.
  • mikew1985 20 Sep 2020 17:09:33 14,934 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have to say I was really dreading trying 64 as I thought it might be a bit of a disappointment based on all the comments so far.

    Still controls great imo. It's visually days but it's clean and it's got charm thanks to Nintendos art aging so well. I hate the look of the 2d sprites (always have, hate the look of mario Kart 64) but even they've been touched up a bit.
  • macmurphy 20 Sep 2020 17:18:59 4,335 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    God I love it. Mario 64. Brings back some serious memories.

    I'd just moved out of my family home, in my first rental shit hole , game blew my fucking mind and brought me so much joy. First 3d platformer, first time using analogue sticks, first rumble. Ended up being my first 100% completed game .

    Camera is a lot clunkier than I remember! But controls are perfect. I'm going to love this.
    Mario 64 didnít have rumble.

    I know this because the first game to use it was Lylat Wars and I remember buying it when it came out with the rumble pack and it was so expensive it made my eyeballs bleed. I want to say 100 quid? But it was new and shiny so I folded like a pissheadís bicycle.

    Google says that the special Japanese rerelease that this is based on had rumble. But not the PAL version.

    The rumble was indeed amazing though. Loved Lylat wars.
  • the_milkybar_kid 20 Sep 2020 20:10:04 8,318 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Im sure the camera controls are different than the original 64. Sure they were inverted.

    Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 20:10:13 20-09-2020
  • Malek86 20 Sep 2020 20:14:04 10,767 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, because the point of the camera system was that you were controlling the cameraman Lakitu behind Mario.

    It's probably better this way though. A bit more modern.
  • ukaskew37 20 Sep 2020 22:15:56 266 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Galaxy really is gorgeous, Nintendo have an art style which is pretty much timeless, a 13 year old game should not look that good.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 21 Sep 2020 08:17:24 20,990 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Galaxy really is extraordinary. I almost feel like itís underrated. Itís like the tapas of video. Just hundreds of tiny little delicious dishes in one meal. Such a unique game.

    BTW my prediction for the next piece of Nintendo cuntery will be separate releases of all the 3D Mario games next year, with Galaxy 1 and 2 only available as a double pack.
  • souvlaki 21 Sep 2020 09:03:18 1,069 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've assumed they can't be arsed fixing the controls for Galaxy 2 but maybe they just needed more time - in which case, you will be right no doubt.

    Edited by souvlaki at 09:03:35 21-09-2020
  • mikew1985 21 Sep 2020 09:20:18 14,934 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Galaxy really is extraordinary. I almost feel like itís underrated. Itís like the tapas of video. Just hundreds of tiny little delicious dishes in one meal. Such a unique game.

    BTW my prediction for the next piece of Nintendo cuntery will be separate releases of all the 3D Mario games next year, with Galaxy 1 and 2 only available as a double pack.
    That would be about right. I'm also really enjoying Galaxy though, I really enjoyed it at the time but I don't think I ever fully finished it back in 2007 or so becasue I was also playing (checks 2007 games) COD4, AC (what a waste of time that was), the orange box (incl Portal), Halo 3 and others!

    Bit of a bumper year that. I also didn't mention Uncharted (I think I didn't pick it up until 2008)
  • RyanDS 21 Sep 2020 09:21:29 13,364 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mario 64... fuck me I just can't play it. I loved it on the ds but here it is just awful.

    Sunshine. Loving it and then fucking want to throw the switch out the window. Looks glorious, great fun but then some of the fucking areas are rage inducing. Just got the rocket jump and had to stop playing as everytime I fell I hD to work the way back to the top, only to slip.

    Galaxy... I was wary as I sold my switch and just kept the lite. But it plays great and the swiping touchscreen actually works great.
  • Zerobob 21 Sep 2020 09:32:42 2,560 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    God I love it. Mario 64. Brings back some serious memories.

    I'd just moved out of my family home, in my first rental shit hole , game blew my fucking mind and brought me so much joy. First 3d platformer, first time using analogue sticks, first rumble. Ended up being my first 100% completed game .

    Camera is a lot clunkier than I remember! But controls are perfect. I'm going to love this.
    Mario 64 didnít have rumble.

    I know this because the first game to use it was Lylat Wars and I remember buying it when it came out with the rumble pack and it was so expensive it made my eyeballs bleed. I want to say 100 quid? But it was new and shiny so I folded like a pissheadís bicycle.

    Google says that the special Japanese rerelease that this is based on had rumble. But not the PAL version.

    The rumble was indeed amazing though. Loved Lylat wars.
    I remember getting the Lylat Wars + Rumble Pack bundle for Xmas, so good.

    The rumble is really starting to annoy me in Mario 64 though, but there's no option to turn it off. In fact, there are no options whatsoever!

    Please Nintendo, I beg you, release a patch offering some basic options.
  • ukaskew37 21 Sep 2020 09:55:10 266 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong (or indeed right) but I'm just using the standard joycon grip for Galaxy and it works beautifully. The game seems to suggest detaching the joy cons and playing as per Odyssey was recommended, but it works perfectly well as a full controller with it pointed vaguely at the screen.

    It feels at least as responsive as Wii remotes, in fact after a few hours of Galaxy I'm a little confused as to why lightgun games have gone away, pressing R to reset the pointer is instant so it never feels like things are getting away from you.

    Galaxy seemed to be a major concern in terms of controls, but I find it far more intuitive than both 64 (which feels quite sluggish) and Sunshine, which I appear to have developed a skill of falling off of everything.

    My (then 5 year old) son 100% Odyssey without too much drama, there is no way on earth he is getting through Sunshine.

    Edited by ukaskew37 at 09:57:20 21-09-2020
  • atothewest 21 Sep 2020 10:17:48 1,114 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    The rumble is really starting to annoy me in Mario 64 though, but there's no option to turn it off. In fact, there are no options whatsoever!

    Please Nintendo, I beg you, release a patch offering some basic options.
    You can always turn rumble off in Switch settings, FWIW.
  • cowell 21 Sep 2020 10:46:11 2,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Maybe its just my imagination, but playing Mario 64 with the Pro Pad, felt heaps better than with the joycons.
  • macmurphy 21 Sep 2020 10:58:41 4,335 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ukaskew37

    The reviews I read were complaining about having screen in your hands - either attached to joycons or a switch lite.

    Then you had to use touch screen for star bits and it was a faff. Reviewer said joy cons alone or pro pad worked like a dream.

    I agree about the joy cons though. I think it was resident evil revelations I played and you could use joycons as a pointer and it was lovely.

    Sadly since the release of the lite I doubt anyone will really want to push stuff like that.
  • spurslol 21 Sep 2020 15:39:40 493 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Mario 64... fuck me I just can't play it. I loved it on the ds but here it is just awful.
    the DS controls were awful
  • Kay 21 Sep 2020 15:53:06 20,781 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, that port was definitely a compromise, and not in a good way. I wasn't a fan of the extra playable characters too. As excited as I was about the idea of portable Mario 64, I quickly sold that version and went back to the original for future playthroughs.
  • RyanDS 21 Sep 2020 16:10:45 13,364 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    spurslol wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Mario 64... fuck me I just can't play it. I loved it on the ds but here it is just awful.
    the DS controls were awful
    Oh I am sure. But to have it was a different world when I had less time to distract me.
  • Duffking 21 Sep 2020 17:17:27 16,656 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mario 64 controls nicely when you have some open spaces to do platforming in and the camera is behaving but it controls like absolute ass when you need to do any kind of fine movement.

    Read a sign? Fuck you run ten laps around it.
  • Gregolution 21 Sep 2020 17:53:37 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    Mario 64 controls nicely when you have some open spaces to do platforming in and the camera is behaving but it controls like absolute ass when you need to do any kind of fine movement.

    Read a sign? Fuck you run ten laps around it.
    It really just demands good use of analogue control and it's fine. You have to move the stick very slightly to talk up to a sign etc.

    I remember spending days just learning to control Mario on n64, because I was so blown away by analogue sticks!
  • Your-Mother 21 Sep 2020 18:13:53 4,970 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Zero problems with Mario 64 here. The main issue I have is that the timing for identical moves through all three games is different, so trying to, say, long jump in Sunshine or Galaxy feels off when all three games are played in such close proximity.
  • minky-kong 21 Sep 2020 19:55:17 14,634 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just got all 120 stars on 64. Like others say, it just requires fine movement of the analogue stick that newer games have ironed out to some degree.

    Any stars that require the flying cap are a pain in the arse though, and Rainbow Ride is a hateful level.
  • Gregolution 21 Sep 2020 20:19:19 10,194 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    120 already bloody hell.

    I've just made the mistake of having a peak at mario galaxy. Wow that is lush
  • Deleted user 21 September 2020 20:38:55
    Mario galaxy. I could just continually post about how great it is every 5 minutes.

    But i wont.
  • Jubilee64 21 Sep 2020 20:42:33 16 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought I'd give each of the three a brief go, but ended up playing Galaxy for hours. Bout 35 stars in. I think it's going to be hard to care about the other two on the collection cause Galaxy is still so bloody good. I'd forgotten how tight the design is throughout. Looks fantastic in HD too.
  • mikew1985 21 Sep 2020 22:27:14 14,934 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just hit 50 stars on it myself, it's so bloody good.
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.