Super Mario 3D All-Stars Page 8

• Steifybobbins 25 Sep 2020 00:02:54 710 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    On the plus side I did the daredevil run for bouldergeist on my third try. I remember struggling with that with the stupid waggle spin. Button press is so much better.
    I tried and failed at this today, any tips?
  • el_pollo_diablo 25 Sep 2020 09:05:29 3,042 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mario Galaxy is brilliant. I really love the structure being these small, abstracted levels. Hoping whatever comes next for Mario is more along these lines than what we got with Odyssey.
  • monkman76 25 Sep 2020 09:50:49 16,816 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You're in luck, it is! 3D World remaster
  • ukaskew37 25 Sep 2020 10:46:09 266 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Sunshine is fun but so buggy and loose compared to almost every other mario title.

It's great to have a solid, 16:9 HD version as there are certainly some good moments in it. I've only picked up about 25ish shines but some of the challenges are so of a time (and bad). The eel teeth cleaning shine is so monotonous that you think, there is no way someone designed it this way on purpose but then you remember loads of games had crap, artificially long + frustrating challenges back in the early to mid 2000s.
    My plan was to play this first, having never played it before.

Half an hour in and I popped over to Galaxy and haven't looked back so far. It really doesn't feel like a Mario game, a couple of times now I've fallen from great height (which never happens to me in Galaxy) and I'm stunned at how much effort is required to get back to where I was.

It just feels like hard work, and not in a fun way. A shame as it's a very cool concept, I feel like it's the one game that could have actually done with a full remaster, rather than visual tweaks. A few quality of life improvements would go a long way.
  • mikew1985 25 Sep 2020 11:01:41 14,934 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Steifybobbins wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    On the plus side I did the daredevil run for bouldergeist on my third try. I remember struggling with that with the stupid waggle spin. Button press is so much better.
    I tried and failed at this today, any tips?
    Get good

/sunglasses

Honestly second phase try to go directly for his face with the boo bombs, take him down in three hits. The most dangerous attack really is when he raises the earth, keep an eye out for that
  • el_pollo_diablo 25 Sep 2020 12:10:02 3,042 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bee Mario > Cat Mario
  • mikew1985 25 Sep 2020 18:51:49 14,934 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They're both shite
  • Steifybobbins 25 Sep 2020 20:01:01 710 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    They're both shite
    I agree! Damn bee floats away from walls and the cat wasn't as fun as it looked!
  • jonathanlealand 25 Sep 2020 21:46:29 95 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Galaxy is just incredible and still feels so fresh 13 years later. Amazing!

This despite the really annoying camera, gimmicky motion-based levels, and unskippable, agonisingly slow dialogue.
  • mikew1985 25 Sep 2020 23:39:49 14,934 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My god the motion ball balancing level is possibly worse than the surfing.

I'm talking about the green star ones.

Truly awful.

Bubble blast is the only mildly acceptable one. Just let me control it with an analogue stick you cunts.
  • the_milkybar_kid 26 Sep 2020 05:14:16 8,318 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm doing them 1 by 1, up to 50 stars on 64 now. Despite playing it on the pi and emulation over the years, the camera does let it down. Other than that it holds up and is still a really good game.

/hot take.
  • RobAnybody 26 Sep 2020 10:33:08 2,330 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:
    Mario Galaxy is brilliant. I really love the structure being these small, abstracted levels. Hoping whatever comes next for Mario is more along these lines than what we got with Odyssey.
    Easily the best Mario game IMO, and that's not taking away anything from other Mario classics such as Super Mario World, Mario 64 and Mario Bros 3.

Odyssey is possibly one of the worst Mario games.
  • RobAnybody 26 Sep 2020 10:34:34 2,330 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    You're in luck, it is! 3D World remaster
    3D World is still pretty weak when compared to Galaxy.
  • Zerobob 26 Sep 2020 11:21:30 2,560 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:
    Easily the best Mario game IMO, and that's not taking away anything from other Mario classics such as Super Mario World, Mario 64 and Mario Bros 3.

Odyssey is possibly one of the worst Mario games.
    Yep, didn't get on with Odyssey at all. I completed it, explored the bonus stage, got a few more moons, then sold it. Didn't lose any money thankfully.

Something just felt off about the game (other than it featuring real full-size people) and I didn't feel compelled to keep playing it.

People on here told me how great the game was and I simply wasn't playing it right, and I should revisit old levels and collect more moons. I argued I didn't feel compelled to do so, I didn't find many of the levels that fun, and the game was poorly designed in that regard.

I'm glad some people like yourself see Odyssey for what it is; A vapid, by-the-numbers Mario experience.
  • Youthist 26 Sep 2020 11:23:19 14,359 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Odyssey was and remains incredible you heathens.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 26 Sep 2020 11:29:17 20,990 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Something can both be one of the worst Mario games, and an excellent game. Which imo is the case.
  • Your-Mother 26 Sep 2020 11:42:39 4,970 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I loved Odyssey to be honest, and felt it was a proper successor to Mario 64. Yeah, the city and its quasi-realistic humans was a little weird, but its levels felt far more like a playground while still keeping those precise platforming sections for specific moons. Galaxy was terrific but also very linear in that regard, there’s generally just one pathway through the level for each star.
  • Kay 26 Sep 2020 11:55:27 20,781 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Got my copy of this yesterday, and got about 30 stars into Mario 64. It looks so nice and clean now, especially in handheld. And Mario is still a joy to control - his turning circle can be a bit large if you're not careful with the movement, and context-sensitive prompts can be a bit finicky, but other than that this aspect of the game has not aged at all, and is the no. 1 reason why it's been so celebrated over the years.

The camera, however, is pretty bad. Tbh it was always like that, but playing the game again made me realise how I had gotten so used to compensating for it. There were some sections (like the first Bowser level) where my muscle memory kicked in and I was automatically adjusting the camera to line up jumps in certain sections. In cramped sections though, it can be a nightmare and constantly seems to get too close to Mario or just get stuck.

This made me realise how the game must seem like such a frustrating and unenjoyable experience for anyone new to it. The only reason I could bear with it is because I've played it countless times and can remember how to get most of the stars. Having said that, I planned to only play for a bit and ended up getting 30 stars in one session, so it still has that incredibly addictive quality.

It's also made me appreciate Odyssey a bit more - that, more than any previous Mario game, is the true successor to 64 and whilst it's not perfect, the core experience is fantastic and polished with an incredibly amount of variety, and shows just how far 3D platformers have come.

Edited by Kay at 11:56:43 26-09-2020
  • SiroccoJetProp 27 Sep 2020 19:36:21 306 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What kind of disgusting money grabbing tactic is this from Nintendo? Only available until March physically and digitally? Absolutely disgusting. They should not be allowed to get away with this
  • mikew1985 27 Sep 2020 19:47:37 14,934 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Um OK.

It's a weird move I'll grant you but I'm not sure that level of ire is warranted.
  • spurslol 27 Sep 2020 19:49:23 493 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    in march the proper remasters will come out for the new console with the 45ghz trinary processor
  • challenge_hanukkah 27 Sep 2020 19:54:26 13,166 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SiroccoJetProp wrote:
    Nintendo murdered my family
    Have you reported them to trading standards?
  • RyanDS 27 Sep 2020 19:55:47 13,364 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SiroccoJetProp wrote:
    What kind of disgusting money grabbing tactic is this from Nintendo? Only available until March physically and digitally? Absolutely disgusting. They should not be allowed to get away with this
    Oh come on. They have done far worse and always have been the company that shows the most contempt for their user base.

Hell they released a console without a fucking power cable once, and a proprietary cable at that.
  • Frogofdoom 27 Sep 2020 20:03:48 16,955 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think galaxy may be my favourite mario game, that or super Mario world on the snes.
  • the_milkybar_kid 27 Sep 2020 21:58:23 8,318 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'll jump on board with the Odeasy bashing. Like MGSV, it was the best playing in the series, but there was so much missing from it to make it a classic.

- No nemorable music (save from the mIn theme)
    - No consistent art direction
    - Them rabbit things can fuck off
    - More levels than not that I never wanted to go back to.
    - No real direction in the levels outside the initial 'story' of each level.

It played great but I fell off Odessy hard. Suppose you can't always get it right.
  • mikew1985 27 Sep 2020 22:40:25 14,934 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    I'll jump on board with the Odeasy bashing. Like MGSV, it was the best playing in the series, but there was so much missing from it to make it a classic.

- No nemorable music (save from the mIn theme)
    - No consistent art direction
    - Them rabbit things can fuck off
    - More levels than not that I never wanted to go back to.
    - No real direction in the levels outside the initial 'story' of each level.

It played great but I fell off Odessy hard. Suppose you can't always get it right.
    I'm not on board with the odyssey bashing, i thought it was brilliant.

The music is nearly all fantastic. The surf guitar theme in the steam gardens is possibly one of the greatest mario compositions to date.

I can see where you're coming from on the art but it hit for me. New donk city is a great level imo.

See above, most of the levels hit for me.

I liked the freedom of looking for challenges and moons.

The broodles were kind of crap though I'll give you that.
  • PierrePressure 27 Sep 2020 22:45:39 1,184 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The runaway ferris wheel from Mario Sunshine can get in the fucking bin. That bloody camera.
  • minky-kong 28 Sep 2020 09:41:12 14,634 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think Odyssey is one of the weaker Mario's too, but to say it doesn't have any memorable music when the Steam Gardens theme exists is plain crazy.
  • TitanWarlord93 28 Sep 2020 10:01:45 467 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finally got my copy of this. Should be able to pick it up from Argos tomorrow.
  • Kay 28 Sep 2020 15:26:20 20,781 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    70 stars into Mario 64, and it feels like such a frustrating mess in some levels with the camera refusing to line up and show what you need it to show. But then it also has amazing pure platforming gauntlets like Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Ride, the likes of which you don't really see much in Mario games nowadays.

There's something about Mario's movement in this that makes him feel so satisfying to control as well, maybe a better sense of momentum or something... or maybe it's just me. Anyway, when the camera cooperates the game is still as fun as ever.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.