Working from home - the new normal?

First Previous
  • rice_sandwich 6 Sep 2020 15:33:47 6,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It looks like the cat's out of the bag and working from home a few days a week is my new normal. Despite government pleas to go back I'm reluctant to give up a better quality of life and saving a few grand a year on travel and sundries. Work performance hasn't suffered and I've basically proved the vast majority of my role is doable at home.

On the other hand it can be isolating and work has nudged its way into the home environment. I'd estimate 90% of my colleagues are loathe to go back. Only those who are single and have small flats have said they want to go back at least some of the time.

How's it been for you?
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Sep 2020 15:35:46 10,892 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm exhausted from all the wanking
  • rice_sandwich 6 Sep 2020 15:37:14 6,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Guess you gotta get those tips from your fans!
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Sep 2020 15:37:46 10,892 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They make me do things I'm not happy about
  • richardiox 6 Sep 2020 15:39:09 8,994 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Getting paid to shag the wife, what's not to like?
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2020 15:50:15 31,182 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    👍
    Will write more on Monday
  • disusedgenius 6 Sep 2020 15:51:02 10,579 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's generally been fine for me, though I'd like to go back into the office once in a while to see people etc. We're being encouraged to go in one day a week but in all honesty, more than any virus fears, the problem is picking a day to be less productive on.
  • smoothpete 6 Sep 2020 15:55:06 37,203 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iíve adjusted ok. I miss feeling like Iím part of a bigger enterprise. I feel somewhat isolated, it will harm my network (this matters in the job I do). Iím less motivated. Honestly would rather be back in the office, but I canít see it happening and I canít complain with the current situation.
  • mad_caddy 6 Sep 2020 16:24:38 3,746 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My place has screwed it up, we're software dev / support.

We've been working all fine from home.
    All on target and doing what we need to do but management want us back in.

So we've had loads of stuff done to the office, one way systems, hand sanitizer stations, no shared office spaces etc. All the shit to make it covid safe.

So now we will be doing one week in and one week working from home, on rotation.
    None of the staff are happy, no one understand why we need to be in the office. Apparently one manager has said software support staff can't do some of their job remotely.

It's quite obvious the company I work for is out of touch. We still wear full suits to the office. Yet we don't see any of our customers.
  • nickthegun 6 Sep 2020 16:43:00 83,331 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That kind of relates to how I feel about WFH. The things Iíve found toughest have been the general lockdown stuff of having a house full of people on top of each other, not being able to just nip out when I want, it being hot as fuck some days...

But Iím digging WFH to the point that Iím settling in for the long haul. Iím selling my car and, most notably, Iíve usually got one eye on the next job but Iím loathe to upset the status quo. Iím happy doing what Iím doing, the company donít want us back and I donít really want to be looking elsewhere as they may do something twatty like the above.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Sep 2020 16:48:42 21,096 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mad_caddy wrote:
    My place has screwed it up, we're software dev / support.

We've been working all fine from home.
    All on target and doing what we need to do but management want us back in.

So we've had loads of stuff done to the office, one way systems, hand sanitizer stations, no shared office spaces etc. All the shit to make it covid safe.

So now we will be doing one week in and one week working from home, on rotation.
    None of the staff are happy, no one understand why we need to be in the office. Apparently one manager has said software support staff can't do some of their job remotely.

It's quite obvious the company I work for is out of touch. We still wear full suits to the office. Yet we don't see any of our customers.
    That's some next level horseshit. That manager seems particularly unknowledgeable about people's roles.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 16:51:40 06-09-2020
  • Your-Mother 6 Sep 2020 16:51:09 4,970 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We have it as optional if we decide to work in person, as long as we obey physical distance (we have in/out tracking so people know whether itís okay to go in), wear face masks etc. I personally donít see the point as it means you have to wear a face mask during Teams meetings, and thatís about 80% of my work life currently. Also, the guy who sits in the cube opposite me (meaning I shouldnít go in at the same time as him) goes into the office literally every day, so even if I wanted to go in Iíd have to negotiate with him for seating.
  • CalamityJames 6 Sep 2020 16:51:45 273 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I live on my own, so working from home is pretty bleak. I'm also a bit put out that I have to dedicate part of my already-paltry living space to work, without any additional compensation (basically, we should get some of the money our employers are going to save on office space in the "new normal", but we won't).

There are definitely upsides though. I feel that in the long run, if this leads to a revitalisation of the neighbourhoods and towns people traditionally commute from, it'll be an improvement for everyone (except maybe commercial landlords, but fuck them).
  • Darth_Flibble 6 Sep 2020 16:54:30 4,500 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The company I work for is doing optional rota and did 1 day last week, very quiet in the office. at the start of WFH, there was tech issues as it was lot of people wfh, which is understandable. But when a member of staff has a problem will still have to use the outsourced IT dept and they can be fucking useless at times. 40 minutes to get them to finally decided to install the dell hub driver for the in office USB hub to use the double monitor set up at work. 2 fucking days to get access to database and its still not working correctly

Apart from some tech issues, I like WFH, hope it continues as long I can continue to do 1 or 2 days a week in the office
  • mad_caddy 6 Sep 2020 16:58:05 3,746 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh.... And when we're in the office we will do all meetings via teams at our desks.

So I'm commuting for 30 minutes.....do do exactly the same as I do at home but at a desk surrounded by plastic screens.

Well done management.
  • Dougs 6 Sep 2020 17:03:36 95,992 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've been WFH 3 days a week for the last 12 years, so another 2 days shouldn't be an issue. At the moment, it's fine and there's no suggestion of going back (despite the Big Push). A few of my team are back in few days a week because of their living situation being less than ideal. I've always felt like I needed to be in and show face a bit, so I think I will feel the pull shortly. It is isolating and if seniors are in, then I feel like I would be disadvantaged by not going in occasionally.

The challenge I have is that to go in for my usual 2 days, I'd need to get 9 different types of public transport and stay at my family's, exposing them too. Which I can't see happening.
  • Dougs 6 Sep 2020 17:04:22 95,992 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    mad_caddy wrote:
    Oh.... And when we're in the office we will do all meetings via teams at our desks.

So I'm commuting for 30 minutes.....do do exactly the same as I do at home but at a desk surrounded by plastic screens.

Well done management.
    This is a concern. If I can't sit with my team or have face to face meetings, what's the point?
  • Phattso 6 Sep 2020 17:05:44 25,939 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    We're < 20 people, and a startup that's less than two years old, so super easy for us to all just WFH but, as said above, the younger staffers in a house share or whatever are going absolutely fucking nuts and are desperate to get back to the office.

I'd echo what someone said above about my own situation: having to set up a 3 screen corner in my living space is a massive imposition (two monitors plus laptop: yes, it's ridiculous, but yes I do need that many) which I'm starting to resent more and more.

Rumblings are we'll be doing a timeshare on a reduced office space with a couple of other semi-related startups come the end of the year, so at least a day or two a week we can choose to go and do in whatever mode of face-to-face is legal by that point. Not sure how that solves my "I've lost a room of my home" issue mind yo.

I don't miss my 50 minutes each way bus-tube-tube commute and I'm in no rush to get back to that world. So you win some, you lose some, it seems.
  • rice_sandwich 6 Sep 2020 17:10:29 6,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've gained 2 hours a day from not commuting and feel far less tired at the end of the day. The main thing that bothers me about wfh is that I have to make a dedicated effort to get exercise and not sit down for 8 hours a day. At least with officing/commuting I was forced to walk 2 or 3 miles a day.

The biggest difference is having much more money in my pocket. I'm probably £400 per month up due to wfh.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 17:10:55 06-09-2020
  • ZuluHero 6 Sep 2020 17:10:43 9,252 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dunno, I liked it to begin with but my productivity has tanked.

Doesn't help that, while my internet is OK, it's not cut out for lots of data transfers and remote access so everything is just a ball ache. Low frame rates on remote desktop give me headaches and I'm probably more stressed trying to hit deadlines, hamstrung by jobs that take twice as long.

Also has made me hate pc gaming, as my PC is in the same room as my work one, so after spending 9 or so hours in there I resent spending more time playing games.

I really feel for some of the guys that house share or live in studio apartments.

Tldr, enjoyed the novelty at first but probably pretty depressed by it all now.

I'd like to go back but on the flip side, it's going to take a long time to regulate my farts again.

Edited by ZuluHero at 17:12:10 06-09-2020
  • JamboWayOh 6 Sep 2020 17:11:03 21,096 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    mad_caddy wrote:

Well done management.
    This is a concern. If I can't sit with my team or have face to face meetings, what's the point?
    Because honestly some people, especially people in higher management are probably failing to justify their presence if their workers are getting on with it with no one physically micromanaging them. Other people I assume are just of the mindset of 'that's how it's always been'.
  • smoothpete 6 Sep 2020 17:33:52 37,203 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iím senior-ish management but Iím still 100% a ďdo-erĒ, front line actually doing the job my team do. Iíd die otherwise, Iíd have nothing to occupy my time
  • JamboWayOh 6 Sep 2020 17:38:10 21,096 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wish I had someone like you during my time in the civil service, user Smoothpete.
  • hedben2013 6 Sep 2020 17:39:30 1,730 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm officially WFH until at least the end of the year. Unofficially everyone's saying there's no way we'll be going back to 5 days ever. Some are saying they want to try having, say, one day a week in the office with their teams for (distanced) face to face stuff.

But the thing is, teams change so often, and most teams are "agile" and made up of people from across the business- marketing, tech, QE, etc. So if you want people having a day with their agile team and a day with their actual team it doesn't work because the days don't overlap.

I reckon we'll be given the option of going in next year but it will just a virtual office at work and still mainly zoom and emails for everything
  • Derblington 6 Sep 2020 17:51:21 34,074 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    mad_caddy wrote:

Well done management.
    This is issue I can see becoming more and more commonplace.

I want to go back to the office as I miss the interaction, and communication and productivity suffers to some degree when everyone is isolated. Not to mention most people arenít set up with home-office space living in the city, and families and distractions are everywhere in shared living spaces. Work have been and continue to be great in helping to mitigate any issues wherever possible but thereís a lot of things they just canít solve.

However it will continue to be impacted on a part-time or rotation basis too - there will always be people missing on any given day - so thereís no point in going back unless everyone does. You may as well just be at home with all of those issues rather than travel into the office with them all present anyway.
  • anephric 6 Sep 2020 17:53:50 4,412 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I did a lot of stuff from home previously but now I have really no reason to be at the depot if I can avoid it, other than to replenish things.

That said, I've come to hate seeing some people's faces appear "in" my home during Teams meetings and that has tainted my man cave/home office. Tainted it forever.
  • Not-a-reviewer 6 Sep 2020 18:17:14 6,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iíd imagine those people that do house share etc would, in the main, look at a different property if they knew WFH was permanent. The uncertainty or lack of willingness to make that decision fourís leaves a lot of people in limbo.

Any business that has keep going with no noticeable impact on the output should be giving the employees clearer feedback by now that they can keep doing it if they .

If I was single and was told I could WFH permanently Iíd be looking for somewhere nice by the sea with an extra room to use as an office.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Sep 2020 18:19:13 14,876 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Iím still full time from home for the foreseeable.

I really like all my colleagues but I canít say Iím missing them in particular. Iím so acclimatised and institutionalised in my village-Teams-laptop routine I sort of canít remember how the old way felt. Going back into the city feels so alien at the moment.
  • smoothpete 6 Sep 2020 18:24:21 37,203 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    One of the issues for me has been that Iíve always had a very strong work / home separation, reinforced by a 45 minute walk each way. Now itís just my house, which is ok but Iíve struggled with any kind of separation.

I set up a desk in the room that is usually our games / movies room, and after 9 hours working in there I just really donít want anything to do with it anymore so Iím not really playing many games.

Iím aware this is a first world problem. Still though, itís disruptive
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Sep 2020 18:33:26 14,876 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah the blurring between work/life is a hard one but weíre unspokenly expected to be available to email 24/7 already

Iím trying to be strict with myself
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.