Working from home - the new normal? Page 6

• nickthegun 8 Sep 2020 09:22:11 83,331 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    God, I cant imagine how much more horrific that place will be now.
  • smoothpete 8 Sep 2020 09:29:48 37,203 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    There was a bbc article about a girl boasting of saving 250 quid thanks to the eat out scheme, she made a pointed effort to take advantage every single day of the scheme, sometimes twice. Reminded me of an old friends mum who would come back from TK Maxx with a car full of shit no one wanted, claiming to have ďsavedĒ 3 or 4 grand
    It was double funny as there was a Daily Mash article taking the piss out of this specific bullshit concept weeks before the BBC published their actual article
  • Dirt3 8 Sep 2020 10:47:49 1,177 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    I mean, that's kind of the point though? Yes you can sustain on cheap ham and bread from aldi, but it's much nicer to have lovely different food every lunchtime.

I certainly don't begrudge spending a bit of money on something decent for one of my 3 main meals a day, and to make miserable life a bit more tolerable.

I really hope there is some semblance of that left when we eventually venture out of our hobbit holes.
    Sarreno hame is not cheap ham. That would be the 50 wafer thin slices in a pack stuff.
  • Kay 8 Sep 2020 11:20:31 20,781 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    There was a bbc article about a girl boasting of saving 250 quid thanks to the eat out scheme, she made a pointed effort to take advantage every single day of the scheme, sometimes twice. Reminded me of an old friends mum who would come back from TK Maxx with a car full of shit no one wanted, claiming to have ďsavedĒ 3 or 4 grand
    It was double funny as there was a Daily Mash article taking the piss out of this specific bullshit concept weeks before the BBC published their actual article
    It's easy to poke fun at that article (and concept), but you're looking at it the wrong way - it's not so much about the money she saved on food, more that she got to eat nicer food for a month as a luxury for much less than it would have normally cost. As someone mentioned earlier, it's nice to, er, have nice food sometimes, so in that sense the TK Maxx analogy doesn't really apply. Iirc she did mention at the end that as a result she would be sticking to simple home meals for the next few months, to balance it out in a way.
  • Dirt3 8 Sep 2020 11:24:41 1,177 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    It's easy to poke fun at that article (and concept), but you're looking at it the wrong way - it's not so much about the money she saved on food, more that she got to eat nicer food for a month as a luxury for much less than it would have normally cost. As someone mentioned earlier, it's nice to, er, have nice food sometimes, so in that sense the TK Maxx analogy doesn't really apply. Iirc she did mention at the end that as a result she would be sticking to simple home meals for the next few months, to balance it out in a way.
    You'd probably need to stick to home meals for a few months to lose the 6st in weight you'd gain and fight off heart failure.
  • TheSaint 8 Sep 2020 11:28:05 19,944 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They'll need to stick to low-fat food like Aldi ham.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Sep 2020 11:51:32 14,876 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There are no positives to working from home says ... Netflix?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54063648
  • JamboWayOh 8 Sep 2020 11:55:05 21,096 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "Iíve been super-impressed at peopleís sacrifices.Ē

Errr, ok.
  • brokenkey 8 Sep 2020 12:32:09 10,605 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    "Homeworking sucks: I haven't been able to abuse my postion to sexually abuse the interns, because they are all at their homes, and I have to talk to my wife": Rodger FilmIndustry
  • dfunked09 8 Sep 2020 12:34:43 517 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    All I know is that I want some Serrano ham now after seeing it mentioned 50 times... Gonna have to pop into the local deli at lunch!
  • andytheadequate 8 Sep 2020 21:07:11 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:

You get this all the time from higher up managers. I think the reason is that their jobs are more difficult when working remotely, and I imagine roles like Project Managers are too. You also get the middle management tier shitting themselves that someone will think they're not really needed any more.

They seem oblivious (or don't care) that working from home is an effective way of working for a lot of types of job, and the benefits from not commuting can be huge for some people.
  • Not-a-reviewer 8 Sep 2020 21:28:39 6,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Companies offering permanent home working is going to become one of those low cost/cost saving things which tempts employees from one company to another.

I really canít think of much that really benefits from face to face meetings except where people are really bad at email/phone/video or using sharing tools.
  • Not-a-reviewer 8 Sep 2020 21:30:44 6,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:

You get this all the time from higher up managers. I think the reason is that their jobs are more difficult when working remotely, and I imagine roles like Project Managers are too. You also get the middle management tier shitting themselves that someone will think they're not really needed any more.

They seem oblivious (or don't care) that working from home is an effective way of working for a lot of types of job, and the benefits from not commuting can be huge for some people.
    Itís harder to influence others remotely in the same way. Aggressive and direct methods donít work so well which is how most people at the top have got there. Gossip and control are other areas that can suffer.

In short, all the terrible things about working in offices are harder to do.
  • eleven63 8 Sep 2020 21:41:38 2,776 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:

Itís harder to influence others remotely in the same way. Aggressive and direct methods donít work so well which is how most people at the top have got there. Gossip and control are other areas that can suffer.

In short, all the terrible things about working in offices are harder to do.
    This. Basically willy waving has had to stop, and the willy wavers don't like it!

Good. Fuck the fucking lot of them.
  • ZuluHero 8 Sep 2020 23:06:47 9,252 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    eleven63 wrote:
    This. Basically willy waving has had to stop, and the willy wavers don't like it!
    I always wondered why I get booted from zoom meetings...

Edited by ZuluHero at 23:07:11 08-09-2020
  • DeadDeadpool 9 Sep 2020 09:46:51 83 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    'work' and 'normal' should never appear in the same sentence.
  • dfunked09 9 Sep 2020 16:26:51 517 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    So my home office chair has finally given up the ghost...

Work are humming and hawing about replacing it for me because I don't have any specific DSE requirements, but I'm fucked if I'm spending a few hundred quid on a chair that'll be getting 90% more use than it normally would because of WFH.

I loved my old chair and it's lasted me 6+ years and probably could've gone on for as long again with my old usage patterns.
  • Dougs 9 Sep 2020 16:43:22 95,993 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Surely everyone has DSE requirements....
  • drhickman1983 9 Sep 2020 18:21:04 7,120 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    Companies offering permanent home working is going to become one of those low cost/cost saving things which tempts employees from one company to another.

I really canít think of much that really benefits from face to face meetings except where people are really bad at email/phone/video or using sharing tools.
    On the whole most meetings work just fine remotely, but if we're having a one or two day planning session I find it much better to be meeting all face to face.

I just find longer meetings start to drag after a couple of hours and my engagement plummets.

But those meetings are the exceptions. The day to day stuff is barely impacted
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 Sep 2020 18:34:42 13,166 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Had an hour and half call today about how we're all feeling.

"...and that went in my gratitude diary and added to my truth"

Was actually said. Unironically.
  • JoeBlade 9 Sep 2020 18:39:10 5,318 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hah.

Was it one of them manager types perchance? Seems like typical 'sounding ominous without relaying any actual information' manager speak.
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 Sep 2020 18:42:07 13,166 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It was actually a life coach we'd roped in.
  • brokenkey 9 Sep 2020 20:55:07 10,605 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    So my home office chair has finally given up the ghost...

Work are humming and hawing about replacing it for me because I don't have any specific DSE requirements, but I'm fucked if I'm spending a few hundred quid on a chair that'll be getting 90% more use than it normally would because of WFH.

I loved my old chair and it's lasted me 6+ years and probably could've gone on for as long again with my old usage patterns.
    I know you don't want to spend your own money, but there's lots of second hand office furniture shops out there which sell really good chairs for rock bottom prices. Hit up Google..
  • Dougs 9 Sep 2020 22:06:29 95,993 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Sadly I can't find a Herman Miller Aeron for less than £350... any other recommendations?!
  • nudistpete 9 Sep 2020 22:12:46 1,257 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I went into my office and brought my chair home. If mine broke I'd just go in and swap it for some other sucker's seat. Is that an option dfunked09?
  • Not-a-reviewer 9 Sep 2020 22:27:52 6,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:

On the whole most meetings work just fine remotely, but if we're having a one or two day planning session I find it much better to be meeting all face to face.

I just find longer meetings start to drag after a couple of hours and my engagement plummets.

But those meetings are the exceptions. The day to day stuff is barely impacted
    Iíve always found planning meetings either involve half the people sitting there saying nothing or a bunch of people desperate to look like theyíre contributing. The other ones like that end up with half the people not having done any prep so that wastes the other peopleís time.

Iím sure some companies have more people that can do them properly but Iíve not worked at any.
  • dfunked09 9 Sep 2020 23:02:54 517 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @nudistpete
    A load of people just helped themselves to random shit from the offices at the start (even taking screens off their mounting arms!), but they've clamped down on it now and I can't be bothered with the drama.

Just going to order a nice chair with a decent warranty. At least I'll be able to separate work from life a bit that way rather than seeing a depressing office chair every time I want to play a game on my PC.
  • elstoof 10 Sep 2020 07:40:50 26,089 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Kay wrote:

It's easy to poke fun at that article (and concept), but you're looking at it the wrong way - it's not so much about the money she saved on food, more that she got to eat nicer food for a month as a luxury for much less than it would have normally cost.
    In what way is food at a restaurant automatically ďnicerĒ
  • Decks 10 Sep 2020 07:43:34 26,870 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Because everything has half a stick of butter and/or double cream in it? And shit loads of salt.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.