Working from home - the new normal? Page 7

• Nexus_6 10 Sep 2020 07:52:04 5,348 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Since we’re both working from home - me 5 days and she 3 days with 2 looking after child 2 - we have started doing ‘fancy’ lunches.

In reality it’s not that fancy but a small change having big impact. We stop just after 12 to prepare. Often includes fish always has fresh veg usually avocado which I hate and eggs boiled or scrambled. Meat is from Aldi and is delicious.
    Variation comes from the weekly veg delivery. We’ve cut out bread by not doing sandwiches and notice the difference.

They can be like those boxes from Pret that sell at about £6.50 or something ridiculous and cost us about £2 at most. It’s great to mix things up a bit and we look forward to lunch like a pair of smug gits

Edited by Nexus_6 at 07:52:41 10-09-2020
  • drhickman1983 10 Sep 2020 08:44:45 7,120 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Kay wrote:

It's easy to poke fun at that article (and concept), but you're looking at it the wrong way - it's not so much about the money she saved on food, more that she got to eat nicer food for a month as a luxury for much less than it would have normally cost.
    In what way is food at a restaurant automatically “nicer”

Speaking as somebody who loathes cooking, any meal that is half decent that I've not had to make myself automatically seems nicer.

I've not eaten out since lockdown began, and I've been making my own meals, but I still find preparation of food a massive chore.
  • sport 10 Sep 2020 08:51:49 16,342 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Kay wrote:

It's easy to poke fun at that article (and concept), but you're looking at it the wrong way - it's not so much about the money she saved on food, more that she got to eat nicer food for a month as a luxury for much less than it would have normally cost.

Speaking as somebody who loathes cooking, any meal that is half decent that I've not had to make myself automatically seems nicer.

I've not eaten out since lockdown began, and I've been making my own meals, but I still find preparation of food a massive chore.
    What you need to do is hang out at the back of airports. You'll find a ton of ready made airplane meals which haven't been used due to travel restrictions.
  • drhickman1983 10 Sep 2020 09:01:03 7,120 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not a bad plan. Also cuts down on food waste!
  • nickthegun 10 Sep 2020 09:01:48 83,331 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Im a pretty good, if I do say so myself, but very lazy cook so being trapped in the house and removing 2hrs of commuting has been a godsend in that respect. I havent made [something from the freezer] and chips for six months and my game has upped considerably.
  • anephric 10 Sep 2020 09:04:59 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mmm, my missus has got very used to me making decent food for us. If I leave it to her it's Bachelor's pasta mix or beans on toast.
  • Tomo 10 Sep 2020 09:06:34 18,261 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Similar. Much easier to cook something interesting when you haven't stumbled off the tube at 8pm and there is bugger all in the fridge. I'll often go for a wander to the shops at lunchtime to get out the house, then pick up stuff to cook for the evening. It's just great, compared to picking up street market food for lunch at work and shoving a Dr Oetker in the oven for dinner.
  • drhickman1983 10 Sep 2020 09:07:12 7,120 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My employers are starting to phase in return to the office. 2 days a week in seems to be the ask.

I'm honestly not convinced there's any real benefit, especially for those of us on the floor. It's purely middle management wanting to swing their dicks to feel important.

Fortunately I'm on placement elsewhere until the end of the year so I can dodge it for a few more months.
  • ZuluHero 10 Sep 2020 09:11:29 9,252 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Kay wrote:

I thought I was the only one who felt like this. It can apply to anything, if my partner or friends make food, then I love it.

If i do, I just don't enjoy it. If it takes me longer to make than eat, then it doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

I still don't do much prep - if I can bung it in the over, set a timer and leave it for 30 minutes, that's about the extent of my culinary skills.
  • Dougs 10 Sep 2020 09:13:23 95,995 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Im a pretty good, if I do say so myself, but very lazy cook so being trapped in the house and removing 2hrs of commuting has been a godsend in that respect. I havent made [something from the freezer] and chips for six months and my game has upped considerably.
    I am ultimately very lazy, and whilst I can cook, I don't really like it unless I have a good amount of time. Have taken to cooking Saturday and Sunday so I can take it easy, have a beer/glass of wine, listen to some music. Even started taking over the staples that my wife makes with her eyes closed and now starting to get the bug a bit.
  • sport 10 Sep 2020 09:17:03 16,342 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Dougs How's the Duck à l'orange coming along?
  • nickthegun 10 Sep 2020 09:23:31 83,331 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Im finding it quite therapeutic and good for decompressing. Knock off work, wander into the kitchen, stick the radio on and get to cooking something.
  • Decks 10 Sep 2020 09:25:39 26,870 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I enjoy cooking a lot.
  • Dougs 10 Sep 2020 09:26:00 95,995 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @sport

Too Orangey for crows (wait, can I still say that?)

Edited by Dougs at 09:26:33 10-09-2020
  • drhickman1983 10 Sep 2020 09:26:46 7,120 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's very racist, Dougs. I'm afraid you'll have to be cancelled.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 09:27:02 10-09-2020
  • Dougs 10 Sep 2020 09:27:26 95,995 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Im finding it quite therapeutic and good for decompressing. Knock off work, wander into the kitchen, stick the radio on and get to cooking something.
    My kids are fussy eaters and invariably we end up cooking 3 meals. It's ridiculous. Plus, bugger eating at 5/5.30pm when they eat
  • RyanDS 10 Sep 2020 09:29:38 13,364 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Eeurgh. 4 weeks into my new role and it is hard. It is a mixture of running 3 teams, doing a systems audit and taking over some projects.

Usually I just sit with a team for a few days, listening to the interactions, watching what people do etc. Now I have to actively nag people "can you share your screen for the next 5 hours and talk me through your process for doing x" which is so much more intrusive that sitting next to someone who you chat to and every ten minutes goes "then I do this."

It is a nightmare. And usually I would be at project recommendation stage by now, but I am still just trying to piece together the whole puzzle.

BAU is fine working from home, but sometimes like now it really sucks.
  • nickthegun 10 Sep 2020 09:35:26 83,331 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    My kids are fussy eaters and invariably we end up cooking 3 meals. It's ridiculous. Plus, bugger eating at 5/5.30pm when they eat
    Yeah, the girl is a veggie so I more often than not have two pans of something on the go but learning to cook decent vegetarian food has actually been pretty satisfying.
  • quadfather 10 Sep 2020 09:39:48 37,031 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I am ultimately very lazy, and whilst I can cook, I don't really like it unless I have a good amount of time. Have taken to cooking Saturday and Sunday so I can take it easy, have a beer/glass of wine, listen to some music. Even started taking over the staples that my wife makes with her eyes closed and now starting to get the bug a bit.
    That's exactly what I do - Now that I have more time in the day, I can prep basic things for the week, and at the weekend, I'll take my time over something which *normally* comes out good - the double edged sword with this new amount of time, is that I'm trying new things I've not done before, which is great, but also new and complicated :)
  • RGeefe 10 Sep 2020 09:40:12 1,371 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've learned to cook a few more different things. The butternut squash recipes can go fuck themselves, though. 20 minutes just to cut and peel the damn thing.

I've become a 3 day a week vegetarian, too. Not on purpose, but I'm having meals with less meat because it's cheaper. I figured a tin of beans, tomatoes, pack of mushrooms, rice, onion, peppers and spices makes a pretty decent chilli and I've got it down to about 50p a meal, if I'm savvy with my portions.

To think I used to spend £3+ on some shit sandwich or canteen meal.
  • Nexus_6 10 Sep 2020 09:41:45 5,348 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Loving the veg dishes we are doing here too. Bean chile is no loss from it's meaty cousin. Veg lasagne likewise is delicious and lighter.
    I'm eating healthier now than ever.
    I was top purchaser in my local Sainsbury's of one type of instant noodle and second top of another type of instant noodle according to the Nectar App last year so wouldn't be hard right enough.
  • drhickman1983 10 Sep 2020 09:48:21 7,120 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    I've learned to cook a few more different things. The butternut squash recipes can go fuck themselves, though. 20 minutes just to cut and peel the damn thing.

I've become a 3 day a week vegetarian, too. Not on purpose, but I'm having meals with less meat because it's cheaper. I figured a tin of beans, tomatoes, pack of mushrooms, rice, onion, peppers and spices makes a pretty decent chilli and I've got it down to about 50p a meal, if I'm savvy with my portions.

To think I used to spend £3+ on some shit sandwich or canteen meal.
    I was spending more like five quid on a decent sandwich or decent canteen meal.

Frankly nothing I make has been more enjoyable than what I could buy. And I'm loathe to spend the extra time and effort to make it much better.

It works out cheaper but in many ways I was happy to pay for the convenience.
  • Rodney 10 Sep 2020 10:36:29 4,663 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I find cooking quite relaxing. With music and alcohol even more so
  • andytheadequate 10 Sep 2020 11:43:34 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Eeurgh. 4 weeks into my new role and it is hard....BAU is fine working from home, but sometimes like now it really sucks.
    Completely understand this, I imagine changing jobs when everyone is working from home is really tough. I also imagine the interview process is tricky, both for the employer and employee, especially as so much of the decision based on gut instinct.
  • JoeBlade 10 Sep 2020 12:26:18 5,318 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Eeurgh. 4 weeks into my new role and it is hard....BAU is fine working from home, but sometimes like now it really sucks.
    Completely understand this, I imagine changing jobs when everyone is working from home is really tough. I also imagine the interview process is tricky, both for the employer and employee, especially as so much of the decision based on gut instinct.
    I can very much confirm this, unfortunately. I've been on the dole since just before the pandemic started. Back then I had a fucktonne of leads and several interviews, often really good ones.
    But people were reluctant to hire once the pandemic and lockdown started so it didn't lead to anything concrete.

After that I still had other offers and interviews but they were all remote and I started to realize I was totally shit at them. I found the video and the lack of physical presence very distracting and was far too focused on whether I was coming across the way I wanted to rather than what I was talking about.
    I also had very little feel of the people I was talking to, not just who they were and whether they seemed like good potential future colleagues but also what it was they most wanted to hear from me (considering my 20+ years of experience that can be a great many things and focusing on the wrong ones can leave someone with a completely wrong impression)
    The fact that video calls were something I almost exclusively had with customers in the past - a kind of call where you have to adopt quite a different attitude and tone compared to an interview - really doesn't help either.

Due to this I've been feeling increasingly demotivated in my job hunt the past 3-4 months. I was hoping things would go back to normal in July but then the corona figures got worse again :(
  • AceGrace 10 Sep 2020 12:38:35 3,311 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck me. All of you are a combination of

and

I'm lucky if my food doesn't come out of a frozen packet with chips.

Edited by AceGrace at 12:39:06 10-09-2020
  • AceGrace 10 Sep 2020 12:41:22 3,311 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    I've just landed a new job with 2 phone interviews and no technical test. Everyone at my place was furloughed except me then I got an opportunity and it landed!

Working out my notice now, then start the new job at the end of the month. Will be starting being based at home.

I'm a bit excited with a dash of imposter syndrome beginning to creep in.

Still I do know I've been very lucky.

Edited by AceGrace at 12:44:47 10-09-2020
  • dfunked09 10 Sep 2020 12:46:15 517 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I was good at the start of lockdown due to necessity, but as more and more places have opened up I've gone from making my own lunch every day to probably only 2 in 5 now.

New sandwich place opened up that does lovely freshly cut ham in a huge chunk of a french stick for £3, and a new deli opened up recently too which I haven't even tried yet.
    Kind of hard to resist when you're already forcing yourself to go outside at lunch to keep a work/life balance.
  • dfunked09 10 Sep 2020 12:49:17 517 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    AceGrace wrote:
    I'm a bit excited with a dash of imposter syndrome beginning to creep in.
    Nobody can see you googling shit if you're working from home!

Congrats - I'm tempted to start looking, but need to sort out moving first and don't want to rock the boat too much.

Edited by dfunked09 at 12:49:32 10-09-2020
  • Dirt3 10 Sep 2020 12:57:04 1,178 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pret coffee subscription looks like a good deal if you consume coffee.

Up to 5 coffees a day for £20 per month.

I admire their attempt to try and change their business model to adapt to the new conditions, rather than doing the same old stuff.

However, if I did drink 5 cups of coffee a day I would be absolutely fucking wired.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.