Working from home - the new normal? Page 8

• AceGrace 10 Sep 2020 12:59:49 3,311 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    AceGrace wrote:
    I'm a bit excited with a dash of imposter syndrome beginning to creep in.
    Nobody can see you googling shit if you're working from home!

Congrats - I'm tempted to start looking, but need to sort out moving first and don't want to rock the boat too much.
    Pretty sure imposter syndrome is quite normal when you first start a new job and you need a while to find your groove.

I certainly didn't lie at all in my interview so they should know what they are getting.

Still better money, more holiday and health care too.

This will be my first pay rise in 12 years.
  • challenge_hanukkah 10 Sep 2020 13:01:55 13,166 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's a girl in my team who is an imposter.
  • Dirt3 10 Sep 2020 13:05:44 1,177 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    There's a girl in my team who is an imposter.
    Let me guess, you found out because she outperforms you all by a factor of 3 ?
  • quadfather 10 Sep 2020 13:10:55 37,031 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm going with the size of her cock.
  • challenge_hanukkah 10 Sep 2020 13:18:18 13,166 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dirt3

Pretty much.
  • drhickman1983 10 Sep 2020 13:22:51 7,120 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have had imposter syndrome in pretty much every job I've had, even after months and years of being in that position.
  • brokenkey 10 Sep 2020 13:25:26 10,605 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:

After that I still had other offers and interviews but they were all remote and I started to realize I was totally shit at them. I found the video and the lack of physical presence very distracting and was far too focused on whether I was coming across the way I wanted to rather than what I was talking about.
    I also had very little feel of the people I was talking to, not just who they were and whether they seemed like good potential future colleagues but also what it was they most wanted to hear from me (considering my 20+ years of experience that can be a great many things and focusing on the wrong ones can leave someone with a completely wrong impression)
    The fact that video calls were something I almost exclusively had with customers in the past - a kind of call where you have to adopt quite a different attitude and tone compared to an interview - really doesn't help either.
    I've done a couple ofinterviews since lockdown, and my advice is to ensure that you have gallery mode switched on if there's more than one person interviewing you, so you can see all of their reactions at one. If you can hide or minimse your own face, you'll be more natural when you talk.
  • brokenkey 10 Sep 2020 13:27:25 10,605 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Dirt3 wrote:
    Pret coffee subscription looks like a good deal if you consume coffee.

Up to 5 coffees a day for 20 per month.

I admire their attempt to try and change their business model to adapt to the new conditions, rather than doing the same old stuff.

However, if I did drink 5 cups of coffee a day I would be absolutely fucking wired.
    you can get smoothies on it too, so you can mix it up.
  • Dirt3 10 Sep 2020 13:41:45 1,177 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think if I hit my body with the saturated fat in the smoothie after firing myself up on caffine that would be a short route to an early grave.
  • nickthegun 10 Sep 2020 14:03:57 83,331 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dirt3 wrote:
    I admire their attempt to try and change their business model to adapt to the new conditions, rather than doing the same old stuff.
    Im looking forward to their charge into the suburbs to follow the workers back to their homes.

Taken out of the context of a city, it will be interesting to watch them utterly fail to convince people 8 quid for a sandwich and a drink is good value.
  • sport 10 Sep 2020 14:10:38 16,342 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I'm going with the size of her cock.
    Bichii?
  • rice_sandwich 14 Sep 2020 09:02:27 6,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm waiting for an update from management as to whether we will be going back to the office this year. It seems extremely unlikely but it would be good to know one way or the other. I might spend a bit to improve my home office if it's going to be a long term or permanent arrangement.

I imagine my team will most likely have a blended working approach in the future, some days at home and some days in the office. I'd be pretty happy with that as 80% of my work can be done at home. Some face to face meetings are still required for larger projects.

None of us are sure that we will have an actual desk to go back to once things are back to relative normality. I can see having to book a hotdesk if I want to go into the office.
  • dfunked09 14 Sep 2020 09:10:40 517 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    As far as I'm aware my company are still poised to start bringing everybody back in, but split so not all members of a team are ever in the same place.

Considering there's currently one other guy on my team in the UK, that makes me going back into the office at all a bit pointless.

Plus let's just ignore the looming second wave and do what the government says...
  • mad_caddy 25 Sep 2020 15:49:19 3,746 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So after having 3 weeks of people in the office, my work have decided to ignore the advice and for us to carry on as we are.
    Mostly because the office is considered covid safe.
    However they have sent all the "vulnerable' people home to work.

I guess as an IT company we can't do our jobs from home any more like we did for the entirety of lockdown.
  • Tonka 25 Sep 2020 16:24:31 31,182 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I talked to an owner of an IT consultancy firm, small one, and he was shitting his pants because he was so worried that people would work when they were at home.

Hr simply didn't trust his employees. I found it rather old fashioned. He's basically renting out humans to occupy seats at other companies.

Of that company can't see the human, they some he is lying about them doing any work.

Wouldn't they notice of things get done or not? Oh well, thank fuck I'm at an agency.
  • Gruff 25 Sep 2020 16:32:13 3,686 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Work for a bigish IT company, still at home with no hint of returning back to the office.

No point going back as far as I am concerned, all the work is getting covered,
  • ibenam 25 Sep 2020 17:54:03 3,321 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Been working from home since March. Absolutely loving it. Office has said done bother coming back into the office as they save 10k a year on me not taking a desk.
  • andytheadequate 25 Sep 2020 18:18:03 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ibenam wrote:
    Been working from home since March. Absolutely loving it. Office has said done bother coming back into the office as they save 10k a year on me not taking a desk.
    10k a year? How much electricity do you use?! Or is that for the whole office?
  • ibenam 25 Sep 2020 18:25:09 3,321 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    ibenam wrote:
    Per person, we are slap bang City centre.
  • SolidSCB 25 Sep 2020 18:25:34 13,379 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been working from home just fine when needed but of course they are doing a 'risk assesment' for a return to the office the second the furlough period is over. Which obviously they are well within their rights to do but is just going to be a costly gamble they don't really need to take from my point of view.

I'm also a little bit concerned they are going to take the absolute piss with the new scheme coming in after October, use it to try and have me in pretty much full time and try and fiddle the system with it. I've only skim read it so far but my initial assumption is that employees could easily be shafted by it.
  • andytheadequate 25 Sep 2020 18:43:57 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ibenam wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    ibenam wrote:
    Per person, we are slap bang City centre.
    That's a ridiculous amount. I wonder if the "water cooler ideas" that twats on the news keep talking about is worth the cost.

There's no chance we'll go remote full time as my employer are in the middle of building a fancy new office but we won't be going back in full time, and not until the pandemic is over.
  • mikew1985 25 Sep 2020 23:45:18 14,934 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He's saying per year, it could easily be that after rent, rates and infrastructure, coffee, fruit, cleaning etc.

12 person office rent of 10k per month, hardly unbelievable. city centre rents are huge.

Edited by mikew1985 at 23:45:39 25-09-2020

Edited by mikew1985 at 23:46:11 25-09-2020
  • Humperfunk 25 Sep 2020 23:52:28 8,315 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My work have been phenomenal through this. I have a brand new laptop, two brand new screens, a brand new office chair and assuming I move flat in a month if we aren't all locked down, they will sort me out a brand new desk. They're kitting us out to work from home for the long term, new chat is they won't expect anyone back until maybe June next year. January is the very earliest now but looking more and more likely it will be later. And I am all for it!

Big thing is that productivity has gone up since March when we were locked down. Superb.
  • andytheadequate 26 Sep 2020 15:48:16 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    He's saying per year, it could easily be that after rent, rates and infrastructure, coffee, fruit, cleaning etc.

12 person office rent of 10k per month, hardly unbelievable. city centre rents are huge.

Edited by mikew1985 at 23:45:39 25-09-2020
    Oh, I wasn't doubting it, more that it's an awful lot of money when you think about it.
  • reddevil93 26 Sep 2020 15:56:43 15,682 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Going to be even more expensive to have people in the office now if there are social distancing rules etc. Move to remote work is going to accelerate so much. Already seeing lots of remote only jobs going up on places like Angellist.

Edited by reddevil93 at 15:56:56 26-09-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Sep 2020 16:25:40 14,876 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Looks like my fantastic position of being promoted into a role which requires no physical presence on campus is coming to an end as a former team is increasingly stretched and short staffed meaning anyone who can work for them is being volunteered to do so. On site.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Sep 2020 16:26:35 14,876 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just as the single biggest risk factor involved - the students - are arriving in their thousands.
  • hedben2013 26 Sep 2020 18:48:30 1,730 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You'll be fine, if today's Twitter is anything to go by all the students will be doing virtual lectures and confined to their rooms within a week
  • Dougs 28 Sep 2020 19:17:34 95,995 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm sure there was a separate thread somewhere, but here will do. Any recommendations for a good ergonomic office chair? My current one is a mesh back thing but is dying after 6 years. Kind of need one now with what I gather is called a seat slide. Budget of 150-200.
  • Nexus_6 28 Sep 2020 20:19:32 5,348 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I use this

https://fashionbombdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/dasha-zhukova-black-woman-chair-miroslava-duma-buro-247-interview.jpg

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.