Xbox Series S

First Previous
  • Psiloc 10 Sep 2020 11:39:03 5,839 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pretty sure I'm first to the party?

£249 on 10th November 2020.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-08-xbox-series-s-finally-revealed-priced-usd299

At time of writing Sony haven't revealed the pricing or release date of the PS5 disc or discless versions, but it's a safe bet that the Series S is a unique proposition. Good second console?

EDIT:
    Thought I'd put my predictions here so I can find them easily and laugh at how wrong I was.

Optimistic
    I'd previously predicted a meagre £50 price difference between the disc/discless configurations of the PS5. I think thanks to MS we may instead see a £100 difference to get the price to £299 (which I guess makes my PS5 prediction £399). So at the low end the cheaper-still Series S competes with the discless, but otherwise fully specced PS5 at a £50 price difference

Pessimistic
    My fear is that the disc version will be stupidly priced, with the discless version competing with the Series X, and nothing to compare to the Series S

I plan to flip flop between these two depending on my mood

Edited by Psiloc at 13:49:22 10-09-2020
  • bighairybear65 10 Sep 2020 11:53:58 338 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds great to me, having no 4K tv for foreseeable etc.
    Gamepass and EA play will do fine thanks, maybe ps5 and 4K tv at later date..
  • Phattso 10 Sep 2020 11:57:55 26,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Without getting fanboy-ish, when the One X was kicking the PS4 Pro's arse up and down the street with fully native 4K the (entirely accurate) argument that a high quality upscale was plenty good enough was made. I think that same argument applies for the Series S, with the caveat that they'd have to do at least as good a job of it as the checker-boarding on PS4 Pro.

But that's only in the 4K context, there's a whole bunch of HDTV owners, or 1440p PC gamers, that might look at this and think... yep. That'll do. Never hurts to have the cheapest option. :)
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Sep 2020 12:02:11 16,333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Series S price has essentially moved me from completely indifference to a genuine interest.

PS5 is still likely to be my preferred console but at £250 I might as well get one of these too.
  • ZuluHero 10 Sep 2020 12:20:45 9,576 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think its because we've mostly been talking about it in the Series X thread.

I'm genuinely interested. I've always seemed to get all the consoles in a generation (all the exclusives), but with the talk of inflated prices leading up to the reveals I was thinking I might have to settle on one this time around. And as I mostly game on PS4 i thought the PS5 was going to win out (especially with the Demons remake)

The price of the S, has really thrown the cat amongst the pigeons. I reckon there are some tough discussions going on at Sony behind closed doors.
  • Switch-v85 10 Sep 2020 12:29:03 4,219 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    The Series S price has essentially moved me from completely indifference to a genuine interest.

PS5 is still likely to be my preferred console but at £250 I might as well get one of these too.
    Yep thatís where I am with it. Itís worth it for the backwards compatibility and game pass.
  • JamboWayOh 10 Sep 2020 12:31:32 21,665 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Switch-v85 wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:

Yep thatís where I am with it. Itís worth it for the backwards compatibility and game pass.
    I imagine backwards compatibility can only work through either buying the games on the store and potentially having the games on a hard drive.
  • davidfowles 10 Sep 2020 12:41:07 260 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    So is there information about expanding the memory? Because itís only a half terabyte drive in there from what Iíve read. Iím curious about whether the SSDs will bring game sizes down due to not having to duplicate data, or whether the next gen graphics will make game sizes explode. At any rate, Half a terabyte seems... low...
  • General_Martok 10 Sep 2020 12:46:35 1,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    davidfowles wrote:
    So is there information about expanding the memory? Because itís only a half terabyte drive in there from what Iíve read. Iím curious about whether the SSDs will bring game sizes down due to not having to duplicate data, or whether the next gen graphics will make game sizes explode. At any rate, Half a terabyte seems... low...
    It supports the seagate expandable SSD cards that they use for the X series and it supports USB HDD.
  • Phattso 10 Sep 2020 12:50:07 26,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    davidfowles wrote:
    At any rate, Half a terabyte seems... low...
    With less than 800GB usable on the PS5... get used to that. :)
  • Malek86 10 Sep 2020 12:52:55 11,272 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    512GB SSD, but I wonder how many of those will be reserved to the system. Remember the 500GB Xbox One actually has 360GB of free space.

Anyway, color me interested. Even without a disc drive, it's also true that most of the BC games I'm interested in are digital anyway. And I don't feel like spending a lot of money on a Series X.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:54:08 10-09-2020
  • ZuluHero 10 Sep 2020 12:56:03 9,576 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    As long as they can support external dives, it'll be fine.
  • richardiox 10 Sep 2020 12:59:32 9,176 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    All 4 next gen consoles support USB3 external drives. You can play back compatible current games straight from the drive. Next gen games or patched/enhanced last gen games would need to be on the SSD. You can save space by "parking" next gen games on your USB drive then copy over to SSD to play.
  • Malek86 10 Sep 2020 13:03:13 11,272 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    On a side note, we still don't know what kind of ports will be available on the Series S, right?

So we don't know how many USB ports it's going to have, or if there's gonna be an optical out...
  • Phattso 10 Sep 2020 13:05:43 26,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Optical is off the table, isn't it? Not sure why they'd support it for one and not the other.
  • dfunked09 10 Sep 2020 13:07:40 1,028 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I dread to think how little space will be available on the internal drive after the OS etc reservation is taken away.
    Something like COD will literally take up half the drive!

I guarantee they're aiming to claw back a decent amount of revenue with the official external drive.

richardiox wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:
    All 4 next gen consoles support USB3 external drives. You can play back compatible current games straight from the drive. Next gen games or patched/enhanced last gen games would need to be on the SSD. You can save space by "parking" next gen games on your USB drive then copy over to SSD to play.
    Have they actually confirmed that you can move stuff to disks that won't support running it? Seems like a handy middle ground if so.

Edited by dfunked09 at 13:09:43 10-09-2020
  • Switch-v85 10 Sep 2020 13:12:16 4,219 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @JamboWayOh Yeah, no disc drive hurts that a little. Fortunately the majority of my BC games are digital, I sold my 360 stuff ages ago and picked up a few games again when they went on sale.

Edited by Switch-v85 at 13:12:28 10-09-2020
  • KD 10 Sep 2020 13:19:23 3,085 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @dfunked09 Thats whats been said, transfer next gen games from external usb to internal drive when needed. Hopefully its a quick and easy process.
  • richardiox 10 Sep 2020 14:14:07 9,176 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    KD wrote:
    @dfunked09 Thats whats been said, transfer next gen games from external usb to internal drive when needed. Hopefully its a quick and easy process.
    I imagine it will be semi automatic eg click to launch a game then get a "transferring to SSD" message before it boots.
  • Derblington 10 Sep 2020 17:22:42 34,293 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    On a side note, we still don't know what kind of ports will be available on the Series S, right?

So we don't know how many USB ports it's going to have, or if there's gonna be an optical out...
    The rear is ethernet, 2x USB, HDMI, power, iirc.
  • Malek86 10 Sep 2020 17:36:16 11,272 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    No optical out hurts. I don't wanna use the optical out from my TV, it's laggy.

The only other option is conecting directly to the receiver, but it's old and only supports HDMI 1.4. It would support 1440p60, but not 4K60. Even if the S only goes up to 1440p, it will be upscaled to 4K, so...

Unless there's a way to output at true 1440p. But I doubt that. It's not a common TV resolution. Also, with 1.4, HDR is out of the question too. This is annoying. A new receiver would be more expensive than a Series X.

I think it's also been confirmed that the PS5 won't have optical out either, so I'm just out of luck...

Edited by Malek86 at 17:39:24 10-09-2020
  • Psiloc 10 Sep 2020 17:42:12 5,839 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just wish ARC worked as advertised
  • Malek86 10 Sep 2020 17:46:00 11,272 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ARC is supported, but very difficult to actually set up. And it's still as laggy as optical out anyway.

How comes I can't just do an optical pass-through anyway, I don't wanna have my TV process the signal in any way, it just needs to send that freaking Dolby Digital 5.1 as is. And weirdly enough, DTS 5.1 is actually less laggy.

I can only hope some later firmware updates have fixed this issue (haven't tried again since January), but it's a long shot.
  • Malek86 10 Sep 2020 20:29:23 11,272 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In the DF video, they are speculating that, since the S doesn't have enough memory to match the Xbox One X, the backward compatibility games might not support X enhanced mode.

It's just speculation, but it would be good to hear something from Microsoft on the matter.

Edited by Malek86 at 20:35:08 10-09-2020
  • Derblington 10 Sep 2020 21:03:51 34,293 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iím seeing more and more industry people unhappy about having to support this console from a development POV, and what it means going forward into the generation.

I thought the whole point was that it wasnít more/different work.
  • DakeyrasUK 10 Sep 2020 21:11:56 4,676 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    No optical out hurts. I don't wanna use the optical out from my TV, it's laggy.

The only other option is conecting directly to the receiver, but it's old and only supports HDMI 1.4. It would support 1440p60, but not 4K60. Even if the S only goes up to 1440p, it will be upscaled to 4K, so...

Unless there's a way to output at true 1440p. But I doubt that. It's not a common TV resolution. Also, with 1.4, HDR is out of the question too. This is annoying. A new receiver would be more expensive than a Series X.

I think it's also been confirmed that the PS5 won't have optical out either, so I'm just out of luck...
    This is my dilemma. I use optical out from my tv and have the lipsync sorted by use of the receiver audio/pic delay. Not enough for all sources.

Really need a couple of years of no new consoles so i can get a new receiver with 4k60 and hdr pass through!

Edited by DakeyrasUK at 21:48:59 10-09-2020
  • Your-Mother 10 Sep 2020 21:30:45 5,442 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No one should be using ARC or optical anymore. Legacy, hamstrung (in both bandwidth and old DRM limitations) connections. I appreciate upgrading receivers isnít in everyoneís budget and itís a big annoyance when compatibility stops, but they really are things that should be phased out and abandoned.
  • JamboWayOh 10 Sep 2020 21:39:51 21,665 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Iím seeing more and more industry people unhappy about having to support this console from a development POV, and what it means going forward into the generation.

I thought the whole point was that it wasnít more/different work.
    Oh really? Where's this?
  • Malek86 10 Sep 2020 21:39:51 11,272 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    For smaller home surround systems there's no real reeason to move into uncompressed audio territory, the difference with regular DTS is minimal unless you have big speakers.

ARC was kinda pointless in the first place, but optical out still seems important enough to go for another generation.
  • Derblington 10 Sep 2020 21:55:54 34,293 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @JamboWayOh
    Facebook. General chatter in threads.

Hopefully itís just misplaced speculation but it wasnít something I expected to see at all, let alone from multiple sources all sharing the same frustrations.
  • First Previous
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.