The "let's hide somewhere from the spam" thread Page 6

• jrmat 16 Sep 2020 06:59:46 214 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Listened to the first of the Bane trilogy star wars books. Was ok, but not quite as good as I was hoping. Also bought some shares in Zoom yesterday.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Sep 2020 07:02:49 8,202 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The state of this site.

If you want spam, come to EG.
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Sep 2020 07:25:08 29,027 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What the hell is going on?
    How are they suddenly getting around the security?
  • Nazo 16 Sep 2020 07:29:08 1,445 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What security?
  • superdelphinus 16 Sep 2020 07:48:40 10,404 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This is what Internet forums will look like, post-apocalypse
  • dominalien 16 Sep 2020 07:54:46 9,812 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Only the spam will be written with a stick in radioactive sand.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Sep 2020 07:59:34 8,202 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I only frequent one other forum and the experience, from signing up to initial posting restrictions and overall excellent functionality plus the complete lack of a single spam thread casts a very poor light on this forum.

What I don't like about the other place is their overzealous profanity filter and ban on certain topics (mainly politics) but I can understand why that is in place.

Seeing this place wither away from a technological, user base and now spam policy viewpoint does make me wonder if it's not time to nip this account in the bud, but I've spent so much time here and still like most of the community it's kind of hard to let go.

Though EGs unwillingness to do something about this spammer crap (who seem to be actively mocking us) does really put me off not just posting but also reading the site so what's the point.
  • superdelphinus 16 Sep 2020 08:03:31 10,404 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I agree. Does make it feel pretty pointless popping in here - if the owners have given up on it then why would anyone else want to stay?

Edited by superdelphinus at 08:03:53 16-09-2020
  • rice_sandwich 16 Sep 2020 08:05:16 6,516 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll

You can't like, subscribe, follow, share or tell your friends via a forum so I doubt it's a big moneymaker or generator of social media buzz for Reedpop. As you say other sites do have forums but they are heavily moderated. Half the topics on here would be immediately locked and bans would be flying about like confetti if it was any other forum. This place is a relic from a bygone age. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 08:05:54 16-09-2020
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Sep 2020 08:30:33 8,202 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @KnuttinAtoll

You can't like, subscribe, follow, share or tell your friends via a forum so I doubt it's a big moneymaker or generator of social media buzz for Reedpop. As you say other sites do have forums but they are heavily moderated. Half the topics on here would be immediately locked and bans would be flying about like confetti if it was any other forum. This place is a relic from a bygone age. Enjoy it while it lasts.
    Oh I get that the forum isn't beneficial to EG at this stage, which is why I don't understand how they don't just nuke it instead of letting it become a playground for spammers. I just don't think it's a good look to have as a professional site.

I agree with your last point, for sure - it is the main draw that still gets me to visit the site daily, and the "other" forum's strict posting policies have the side effect of overly underhanded, passive aggressive posts/arguments which I personally find more loathesome than simply getting told to fuck off, but I just don't follow EG's strategy when it comes to this place.

Even the front page comments sections aren't exactly state of the art tech-wise - I find browsing the comments a right pain since the selection criteria doesn't stick, the layout is awful and functionality bare bones - plus the general poster quality isn't my cup of tea and I'd rather abandon the site entirely than moving to the front page.

The sheer volume of spam though is really off-putting, what's the point of having a forum when you have to go through literally dozens of pages to find the first normal thread - and I wonder how the mods feel performing this thankless task of playing whack-a-mole on a daily basis since EG seems to provide zero support to make their "job" easier, which is the least they could do since they're volunteers.

Just think it's really poor form of EG.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 08:32:23 16-09-2020
  • TheSaint 16 Sep 2020 08:38:20 19,883 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I wouldn't criticise the front page (AKA MrTom's dominion), that's the kind of thing that gets your account banned.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Sep 2020 08:40:30 8,202 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ha, yeah that's another thing that's grinding my gears. Banning members for no reason other than personal vendettas. How the Mighty have fallen, and I always thought pretty highly of him, as a mod at least.

Sanctioned by EG, or rather staff don't know because the forum is a no-go area for them these days. It does have a certain asylum vibe I have to say!

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 08:43:26 16-09-2020
  • Mola_Ram 16 Sep 2020 08:53:24 24,398 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The modding policy stuff doesn't really bother me that much (though personally I think it's a bit too hands-off around here).

But yeah, no community is going to survive for the long-term without people to maintain it. Sucks that it seems to be happening here, but I don't really know what you can do about it now. It doesn't seem like there are many new users coming in, aside from the spammers.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Sep 2020 09:09:02 8,202 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Maybe 'grinding my gears' worded it a bit too strongly, 'massive eye roll' probably describes it better (that's for Tom's behaviour here).

I do like the light touch approach of mods otherwise - though can certainly see how this puts off new posters.

And since there's no new influx of new accounts, apart from spammers and re-regs, may as well get rid of the sign-up page entirely:p That'd fix a lot of the problems. Last person to switch off the lights.
  • dominalien 16 Sep 2020 09:11:43 9,812 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well, I donít come here for the owners of the forum, I come here for the people and conversations. The one other forum I got to (gaming, too) is very very serious with serious people and serious topics and I like it, but itís nothing like the fun I have here.

Itís pretty obvious reedpop doesnít care and once someone notices what goes on here (and I donít mean the spam) itíll be turned off immediately.

I will then be sad.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Sep 2020 09:18:36 8,202 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Surely those 'up there' in EG Ivory Towers know very well what's going on here?

Unless the forum is blacklisted in their browsers. Which wouldn't surprise me either.
  • Mola_Ram 16 Sep 2020 09:25:24 24,398 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Maybe 'grinding my gears' worded it a bit too strongly, 'massive eye roll' probably describes it better (that's for Tom's behaviour here).

I do like the light touch approach of mods otherwise - though can certainly see how this puts off new posters.
    Yeah, I definitely think that MrTom done wrong in this case (though some of the attacks I saw against him in response were really, really out of line)

But the fact is that, generally speaking, there's a lot of stuff that happens here that would never, ever fly in most other moderated forums. Personal attacks, casual sexism, abusive language, etc. And while I don't think that's the only reason why people are driven away, I think it's *a* reason why that happens.

If people like it that way, fine. But I don't think I'd ever seriously want to be a mod here, because I'd probably be more heavy-handed than most EGers would like.

/swings imaginary banhammer at this guy
  • dominalien 16 Sep 2020 09:29:07 9,812 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ah, Mola. We all hate that guy, but do you have to be so direct about it? We're few enough as it is.

Edited by dominalien at 09:29:19 16-09-2020
  • sport 16 Sep 2020 09:31:51 16,290 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The last remaining boomer chads. Get your oakleys on guys.
  • dominalien 16 Sep 2020 09:34:38 9,812 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Surely those 'up there' in EG Ivory Towers know very well what's going on here?
    I don't think there's a single corporation in the great US of A that would let the stuff that's written here remain on their website for more than 5 seconds.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Sep 2020 09:35:52 8,202 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not falling for that (again) lol.

To be fair, I wouldn't want to be a mod here either, but I do like the Wild West (or rather, Fallout?) vibe all the same.

On this other forum they're on the extreme opposite end of things - even "BS" isn't getting through the profanity filter, and mods are all over you if your posts even hint at personally attacking another poster, or is not in line with the other strict forum rules.

The ideal for me therefore would be somewhere inbetween, but EG won't bother their arse to improve things, and the 'other' forum (it's Frontier Development's one if you must know) is too heavy handed but understandably so given their target audience and need to keep their corporate image intact.

Not really sure where to go if EG were to close though, as I would certainly like to keep in touch with the people here, otoh I probably would just claw back the time I waste here to do slightly more productive things instead (yeah right), similar to when I nuked my Facebook account years ago.

Edit @Mola

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 09:38:00 16-09-2020
  • Mola_Ram 16 Sep 2020 09:36:09 24,398 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My first act as mod will be to ban the other mods, then ban everyone else, then finally ban myself. It will be a supreme work of art, an elaborate mandala of banning.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 10:00:18 16-09-2020
  • Tonka 16 Sep 2020 09:37:13 31,114 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The EG Forum has been a great ride. I've gotten so many good recommendations and laughs out of it. But as others have said, that don't put money into the company that needs to pay the bill.

It will die the heat death of toxic shit flinging and spammers. I'll miss parts of it but I'm not surprised it's a low priority thing.

I've tried other forums but they don't do it for me. Maybe it's just the hassle of getting to know who's an idiot and who's not that's too much for me.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Sep 2020 09:44:50 8,202 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I've tried other forums but they don't do it for me. Maybe it's just the hassle of getting to know who's an idiot and who's not that's too much for me.
    Ha, yes that could well be a factor for me also. I'm also kind of relieved that Frontier put a politics topic ban on their forums, knowing there's quite a high gammon presence (both UK & US based) I would most likely get into trouble with quite a few of them due to my liberal viewpoints. So 100% sticking to game related talk, which can be a bit dull at times though.
  • Nazo 16 Sep 2020 09:55:20 1,445 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I donít think the neglect is exclusive to the forums, the rest of the site isnít in much better shape.
    Reedpop are an events company and probably donít give a shit about the stuff they bought that isnít EGX related.

Maybe Rauper is hard at work on a new Europegamer site behind the scenes and will soon launch to reclaim Former glories...
  • sport 16 Sep 2020 09:56:42 16,290 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    I donít think the neglect is exclusive to the forums, the rest of the site isnít in much better shape.
    Reedpop are an events company and probably donít give a shit about the stuff they bought that isnít EGX related.

Maybe Rauper is hard at work on a new Europegamer site behind the scenes and will soon launch to reclaim Former glories...
    Portable view?
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Sep 2020 09:59:50 8,202 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Nazo wrote:

Portable view?
    Good point.

Did you know that Portable view exists for the main page, but not the forum? I didn't realise this until recently so no idea when it was added back (in part - i.e. not where it matters for me at least).
  • Nazo 16 Sep 2020 10:25:04 1,445 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it was added back in the last redesign of the site, when the forum got shunted into this community sub domain.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Sep 2020 10:31:39 8,202 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah you might be right, I vaguely remember something along those lines.
  • dominalien 16 Sep 2020 10:33:32 9,812 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, craigy came here and announced the return of Portable view and then it returned to the main site only and not here. The cheek.

I'm sure he was acting in good faith and then got the order to stop working on it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.