Spelunky 2 Page 2

Next Last
  • Tuffty 16 Sep 2020 13:54:47 4,620 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The default auto run is weird to me too, I also turned it off. I can only assume the devs have seen enough from players over the years to determine that running all the time is what players do anyway, particularly speed runners. Seems like the choice is made with those in mind.

Had fun playing last night. I do wonder how someone would manage playing 2 and not 1. I think the majority of the discussion on the game will be how it differs from the first game and in addition it seems more punishing even on world 1 alone that I can see first time players having some difficulty with.
  • Lotos8ter 16 Sep 2020 14:34:53 3,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    . I do wonder how someone would manage playing 2 and not 1.
    In my case, I havenít got a bloody clue and Iím just getting twatted around the screen before a hilarious death...
  • matrim83 17 Sep 2020 10:54:07 5,712 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I dont know if my Spelunky muscle memory has atrophied or if this one is genuinely harder but it is really kicking my ass. I dont even notice the Jungle traps half the time.

Thankfully, I have the shortcut open so its time to grind that for practice.
  • KRadiation 17 Sep 2020 23:48:43 1,548 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So I think I finally completed the first section. Then some woman said something about a short cut... i then started a new level and died instantly and it sent me back to the beginning.

How do I get this shortcut then?
  • BeebleB 18 Sep 2020 00:03:27 1,333 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think you have to give her 3 items before the shortcut is completed and it'll be over in the left area of the starting hub thing.

Yea I'm dying a lot to the moles and stupid deaths but am having a great time.
    It does feel a bit harder than the first game but that could just be my mindset is stuck making the descions I would have made in teh first game.
  • Roddy100 18 Sep 2020 03:57:29 1,058 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm loving it so far. Feels like a natural evolution of the first game. Managed to beat 2-4 and then wasn't at all prepared for the next stage and died promptly.

Hoping to get even further next time, but wow... it's tough!
  • beep 18 Sep 2020 05:45:48 519 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Hoo. So many more things to watch out for in Spelunky 2! Have managed to get to Olmec stage a few times and only passed it once...and then there was more levels (in which I died).

This game is gonna take a while!
  • Roddy100 18 Sep 2020 06:01:01 1,058 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @beep I just got past that part you mentioned! Level 4-1! Really loving the feeling of discovery! :)
  • christourlord 18 Sep 2020 09:26:32 2,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Has anyone watched the GiantBomb quick look for this? Is it safe to watch for people trying to avoid "spoilers" (if there is such a thing for a Spelunky)? I'm waiting for the PC version and am trying to avoid seeing anything past the first couple of areas.
  • Tuffty 18 Sep 2020 10:11:44 4,620 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @KRadiation As someone mentioned earlier you have to give her a few items first before the shortcut opens in the starting area when you start the game. It perhaps isn't as beneficial as you think because to get a successful run you really do need the opportunities given to you in earlier levels to get those additional items or health etc. Think for many shortcuts act as something of a practice area where you can quickly get to later worlds and figure out what to expect for your proper run
  • Roddy100 23 Sep 2020 11:50:37 1,058 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Attempting to unlock the final shortcut is doing my head in. The first demand is pretty easy but to say that the next is an exercise in frustration is a huge understatement!

I don't know how long I can persevere without losing my mind!

Edit: finally did it! Such a relief!

Edited by Roddy100 at 12:00:26 24-09-2020
  • christourlord 23 Sep 2020 11:55:06 2,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    How have you found the rest of the game, difficulty-wise? It definitely looks harder from small amount of video coverage I've allowed myself to watch.

Also, have they fixed the netcode issues? It looked completely unplayable from some of the GiantBomb stuff I've watched.
  • Roddy100 23 Sep 2020 20:28:11 1,058 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @christourlord It's definitely a lot tougher than the first one, at least at first. As with the original, the more you play, the more you learn, the better you get.

It has only been the aforementioned third shortcut requirements that have caused me any major trouble.

Still definitely worth buying for Spelunky fans. It's absolutely stuffed with items and secrets and plays just as well as the previous game.

I haven't tried online play, so can't comment on that, but single player and local co-op is a very smooth and hitch-free experience.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.