Spelunky 2 Page 3

Next Last
  • Steifybobbins 30 Sep 2020 16:40:04 726 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I never understood the unbelievable praise the first game got. It never felt that fun to play and the lack of any reward for your efforts made it feel frustrating rather than fun. Something like Hades which rewards you with various loot for upgrades to soften the faliure makes a lot more sense to me.
  • christourlord 30 Sep 2020 16:42:47 2,854 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The reward for each run is the knowledge and skill you gain by playing and experimenting. The payoff when that knowledge and skill propels you further through the game is very different to a new animation being unlocked when you mash the X button on the controller.
  • Rhaegyr 30 Sep 2020 16:49:24 5,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd side with the original Spelunky to Hades at the moment.

Whilst Hades is great it's not really challenging your skill/knowledge, it seems to go for a different route which is "play this enough and eventually your upgrades will help you get through it" which is a different tack to BoI, Spelunky, Dead Cells and the like.

I hit the first boss on Hades a few times and was gradually learning her patterns and attacks; I think got an upgrade to 'double dash' which made learning the patterns redundant as the double dash is a get out of jail free card you can use constantly.
  • Fixxxer 30 Sep 2020 23:48:51 1,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've beaten hell on the first game numerous times but...

... fuck me this game is hard. There are so many fucking spike traps for a start.
  • elhozzo 12 Oct 2020 12:41:04 455 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    guessing this thread is dead because everyone is heads down playing the game ... its wonderful, packed full of surprises... its getting easier too, its just going to be a matter of time and practice ...
  • Lotos8ter 12 Oct 2020 13:59:44 3,027 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iíve spent longer watching YouTube videos of people playing it well than playing it myself. The learning curve for a new Spelinky player like me is like El Capitan and Iím not getting any urge to plough hours into it tbh. Sorry.
  • Tomo 12 Oct 2020 14:02:14 18,450 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I refunded it ;_;

Felt very guilty doing so as I was hyped for it but I need something gentler atm. Will grab on Switch when it inevitably releases.
  • Fixxxer 12 Oct 2020 14:09:46 1,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I absolutely can't stop playing it but my word have I punched some pillows and shouted some curses.

The moles can rot in hell with the shopkeepers.
  • Fixxxer 12 Oct 2020 17:35:29 1,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Oh and poison and curse can fuck right off too.
  • elhozzo 12 Oct 2020 18:26:49 455 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    played it a lot with my son (10 ) and daughter (8) - they getting far on their own now ...
  • Roddy100 12 Oct 2020 19:29:05 1,064 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm yet to beat the final boss but I am at least reaching it quite consistently now.

The last world has a high rate of unpredictability making it hard to survive. All you need is a dark level and you're basically screwed.

Still loving it though. Great game!

Edit: Finally beat the final boss! But only from a shortcut. Time to try and do it from the beginning. :)

Edited by Roddy100 at 05:27:24 18-10-2020
  • elhozzo 20 Oct 2020 09:19:48 455 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    congrats Roddy100 !! My furthest is still 6.1
  • Fixxxer 20 Oct 2020 10:29:44 1,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've beaten the final boss in a full run now. Sure was easy with a shotgun compared to the time I arrived with just three bombs.

Now trying to do the thing with the key and chest in Dwelling (and beyond) that Spelunky 1 veterans will be familiar with. Struggling.
  • INSOMANiAC 21 Oct 2020 19:12:46 4,715 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had unbelievable hype for this game that is was never going to live up to. The first one is to perfect of a game. The sequel I just find really underwhelming so far although admittedly I haven't got that far because the urge to continue and get better just isn't there this time.

Straight from the off I was saying the first level was too hard, Spelunky players aren't afraid of a challenge but there's a line between difficulty and frustration that they unfortunately crossed. Now they've 'fixed it' and the first level is boring... it feels too constrained. It' hard to explain exactly what's wrong with it because I'm not really sure. It is in all likelihood as open as level one of Spelunky 1 yet it seems as if you're always going to have to waste a lot of bombs to get almost nothing if you want to explore the level properly and that's because there's basically no crates. Getting the turkeys to the bloke feels pointless because the reward is shit and there's a trivial and needless boss that's just there to occasionally fuck you. It just goes to show how masterful level 1 of the original is.

I can't really comment on the other levels as yet as I've not spent enough time in them, nor have I discovered any of the secrets the game has. The two level 2 variants both seem decent enough and level three is ok, but as I say, the urge to push on and discover everything just isn't there.
  • Fixxxer 21 Oct 2020 23:10:30 1,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've just unlocked the seeded levels and that seems like where a lot of the shallow fun lies. The first seed I tried at random had a plasma cannon on 1-2 so I just keep replaying that and gunning down shop keepers in the most cathartic way.

It seems a shame to me that it's so difficult to unlock seeded runs in the first place.
  • elhozzo 17 Nov 2020 09:37:14 455 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC - still feel the same?

I've put a lot of hours in ... and I'm still not entirely sure of my opinion... (I've definitely had value for money, and I have learnt some of the secrets) ... at times its maybe too close to the original but then I can think of some 'new' levels that are really fun

its probably all I could have asked for and dreamed of in a sequel ... but I guess the original (HD version) was one of the first rogue-lite's I had played, and maybe the 'freshness' isn't there anymore

I've got to the end boss ('easy' /first boss) on 6-4 (I think) and definitely the motivation is reducing a lot (I was really addicted first month or so )
  • INSOMANiAC 17 Nov 2020 21:57:18 4,715 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @elhozzo I have put about 22 hours in since launch which is really nothing. Most of that would have been the first three days. I just don't have the love for it that I did with the original. First there was the performance issues on PC that ruined the initial experience. Then the first level was clearly too hard, and I was one of the first people to say it on Reddit so I definitely wanted it changing, but now it's been lowered in difficulty its just boring. I think I've said before but level one somehow just feels really linear There is very very rarely more than one way to get to the bottom without using bombs, and there's no incentive to really use them, there's just no crates in the game. No joy of finding a snake pit, or a level with four crates in it. in fact through every run I've had in the game I've noticed I just don't use the bombs any more.

I don't have the urge to push on and 'git gud' because the game doesn't have the same allure or mystery to it that the original has in my eyes. I've been to level four a few times but I'm not instantly jumping back in wanting to get further or uncover any secrets. I don't really know why because the first is in my top three or four games of all time. I don't think it's an inherently bad game but while it thankfully doesn't veer too far from the original formula, it feels like a poor copy of the original. I keep going back to the first level but it's an ideal example of how a few changes to the way levels are generated can change an entire feel of a game.

Edit- Just reread my previous comment and realised I've basically just repeated myself. Oh well.

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 21:59:27 17-11-2020
  • INSOMANiAC 17 Nov 2020 22:03:22 4,715 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Steifybobbins wrote:
    I never understood the unbelievable praise the first game got. It never felt that fun to play and the lack of any reward for your efforts made it feel frustrating rather than fun. Something like Hades which rewards you with various loot for upgrades to soften the faliure makes a lot more sense to me.
    I've bought Hades and played it a few time and I don't really see where this massive hype it has gained is coming from, it's a well made and decent enough game but it's no Spelunky, it's no master of randomly generated level design, its the same thing over and over which ends up getting to the point where you're almost button bashing your way through hoards of enemies. The levelling up system etc are ok but it feels like a game that doesn't really require that much skill. I would put it as strictly average and I think it's got so much praise because of it presentation and the way it has a continuing story despite being a rogue-lite, which is admittedly good. When it comes to actual gameplay though it's just so basic that it doesn't warrant it's massive praise IMO
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.