Monster Hunter Rise Page 2

• Pipedream 10 Jan 2021 16:56:06 630 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can turn off the arrow marker in the options and the basic move set for each weapon is in the hunter notes.

They really should add a basic weapon tutorial for each weapon and how to use items. I've played MH for years and I still don't know how all the weapons work.
  • mrharvest 10 Jan 2021 18:05:25 5,712 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    They really should.
  • Alastair 10 Jan 2021 18:11:01 24,702 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    People like Arekkz will make weapons tutorial videos.. if they haven't already.
    Has it got to the point where games devs don't need to create tutorials because the YouTubers do it for them?
  • Malek86 10 Jan 2021 18:12:04 11,915 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Maybe I'm stupid, but it seemed to me that trying to lock onto the monsters was a fool's errand.
  • mrharvest 10 Jan 2021 18:39:17 5,712 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Alastair I wish gamers could just try weapons and figure it out. But I don't think we're there quite yet,

Maybe developers should make you watch some youtube vids to learn the game?
  • Tuffty 10 Jan 2021 18:56:38 4,824 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Had a good time with the Hunting Horn, even got Mitzusune with it. Never touched it in World, looking for another weapon to main in Rise so thought I may as well try now. Didn't have a great time with the Insect Glaive prob not a weapon for me.

I thought Worlds tutorials were OK at learning the basics but there was so many weapons and systems in play that some of it was lacking. Think you will need to resort to YouTube videos but the very nature of the game requires repeat attempts at monsters to get their materials, so you can eventually experiment and memorise monsters behaviours better. Hopefully the full game is better at introducing newcomers. I know that fans of the series have said the demos aren't a good way at introducing the game to newcomers, it is the main game itself that will hook players.

Edited by Tuffty at 19:00:18 10-01-2021
  • dawve30 10 Jan 2021 21:13:53 117 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Having never played MHW or iceborne. What lock on? Hasn't it always been click to lock then click another button to centre on the monster? That works with press on right stick to lock and then press on left stick to centre on the monster, in the demo.
  • mrharvest 10 Jan 2021 22:40:40 5,712 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Lock on feels so weird to me. It was never a feature in the games. The combat system is built on being methodical and not button smashing. A single hit in a vulnerable spot should be worth 3 in the body.

Edited by mrharvest at 22:41:27 10-01-2021
  • Rewsan 10 Jan 2021 22:41:15 293 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I pressed the right stick a number of times it never seemed to lock on to anything.

I don't mind working out the finer points of each weapon but would have appreciated the option to learn what button did what.
  • mrharvest 10 Jan 2021 23:06:17 5,712 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Rewsan My experience of MH combat is this: you've got mostly 4 different attacks. On the Switch:

X - quick attack
    A - medium attack
    A + X - heavy attack
    Rt - sweep / block

The weapons that can block will have other attacks when blocking

But like for example the insect glaive? Description says you can kick monsters and attack them from the air but I have no idea how to do that. This is after hundreds of hours with the earlier games in the series.
  • dawve30 11 Jan 2021 06:27:32 117 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It never works like I think of lock on in other games. Youíve never been able to use the lock on to kite around enemies, I donít think that would actually work with the game. If youíve locked on with the right stick a border should appear around the monster symbol in the top right corner, then a press of left stick centres. Thatís it.
  • dawve30 11 Jan 2021 06:33:24 117 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As for buttons, the hunters notes have a lot of information. Especially on the weapons, combos etc. Not as good as being shown in a tutorial but the info is there and pretty sure the basic tutorial recommends reading the hunters notes.
  • Pipedream 11 Jan 2021 08:35:50 630 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you're getting a bit lost in the demo try the sword and shield.

The basics are
    X X X for a fast combo
    A A A medium combo
    These can be combined so X X X A A A
    ZR to block and B to dodge
    R to run and sheave your weapon

Also get used to selecting and using health potions when needed.

When you've got the hang of that and can easily dodge attacks, try another weapon. The hammer has similar button combos except you hold ZR to charge up a big attack. Same with the switch axe except ZR changes your axe into a sword etc

I recommend staying away from the charge blade, gunlance and insect glaive for now.

I think the main thing to get used to is dodging and taking potions. At first treat it like a turn based rpg. Let the monster attack then you go in, monster attack, you attack.

I have a bizarre amount of passion for this game!

Edited by Pipedream at 08:36:14 11-01-2021
  • Flying_Pig 11 Jan 2021 19:01:50 16,889 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So I've never played Monster Hunter and after seeing the excitement about Rise coming to the Switch I checked out a video (GameSpot I think).

And maybe I'm missing something, but the video essentially comprised the player fighting a single monster for 20 minutes before it eventually died. I mean - is that it..?

I'll give the demo a bash, but from what I've seen of the game, it's not for me...
  • Duffking 11 Jan 2021 19:05:58 16,844 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I tried a short go on this but was utterly baffled and clueless :(
    MH demos are usually intended for people already familiar with the series to see some cool new stuff, the MHGU demo was similarly baffling.

Flying_Pig wrote:
    So I've never played Monster Hunter and after seeing the excitement about Rise coming to the Switch I checked out a video (GameSpot I think).

And maybe I'm missing something, but the video essentially comprised the player fighting a single monster for 20 minutes before it eventually died. I mean - is that it..?

I'll give the demo a bash, but from what I've seen of the game, it's not for me...
    Well, that's kinda it, yeah. Each monster is basically a boss, so you prepare in town before hand, select your gear, then you go out and hunt (preparing more on the way), fighting the monster. Then you carve it up and you can use the bits of it to make new armour and weapons and fight bigger and more dangerous monsters, which can then be used to make new armour and weapons that let you fight bigger and more dangerous monsters...

There's missions to gather stuff and the like too, but hunting the big ones is the main thing. Shouldn't be taking 20 minutes though unless it's super late game stuff.

Edited by Duffking at 19:08:30 11-01-2021
  • Flying_Pig 11 Jan 2021 23:09:38 16,889 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Duffking - maybe you're right, but the player just repeatedly hammered the beast with a massive sword, seemingly doing tiny amounts of damage. Then getting hit himself and backing off to heal.

Rinse and repeat for 20 minutes...

Edit: this video

https://youtu.be/4PhFh3i3Hi4

Edited by Flying_Pig at 23:12:25 11-01-2021
  • Duffking 12 Jan 2021 14:44:51 16,844 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Flying_Pig Hmm yeah they're not doing too bad a job there though they're sticking to mostly basic moves. The demos though as I mentioned before tend to be targeting long-time players to show them what's new. I'm pretty sure for even the beginner hunt in the demo you're using gear that's outmatched by what you're fighting, the damage output the monsters do is noticeably higher than in the games I've played. For mizutsune as well that's probably translating to a longer kill time so that returning players have longer to play around.
  • mrharvest 12 Jan 2021 15:37:50 5,712 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    For mizutsune as well that's probably translating to a longer kill time so that returning players have longer to play around.
    I've had a couple of goes at Mizutsune and I'm so rusty that I literally can't kill it. I had a half hour try where I used up every healing item playing fairly aggressively with dual swords and somehow my damage wasn't enough. I'm sincerely hoping that it's due to the demo balancing and not me being terrible :D
  • Pipedream 12 Jan 2021 16:16:01 630 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've noticed you have to be more accurate with your attacks (aim for the head and tail) as the monsters armoured bits seem very resilient to damage especially when you compare it to world.

A good hit in the face can do 40 damage and the same attack might do 10 or less on their armoured bits.
  • Duffking 12 Jan 2021 19:07:43 16,844 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You're only at green sharpness with the demo weapons as well, in the full game you'll almost certainly have better stuff imo.
  • dawve30 12 Jan 2021 19:41:21 117 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Took me 27 mins to beat Mizutsune first time and I carted once after pushing my luck a little too far. So looking forward to release day.
  • mrharvest 12 Jan 2021 21:16:14 5,712 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @dawve30 I finally got it down with a GS. 35 minutes. I'm a noob again!
  • mrharvest 12 Jan 2021 21:17:11 5,712 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Alastair 27 Jan 2021 11:18:37 24,702 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Rise themed Switch confirmed for UK
    https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1354383713426165763?s=20

Thanks to user brokenkey for the heads-up
  • brokenkey 27 Jan 2021 13:27:19 10,895 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Hmm. Cancel collectors edition and get this instead? Doesn't include the amiibo, but has the rest of the collectors edition stuff.
  • Alastair 27 Jan 2021 16:59:29 24,702 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    If the scalpers clear out the Argos stock before I can get this free with my Nectar points I will cry.
    A lot.

This means I will need to try to resurrect my NNID and reconnect to that account.
  • Devilligan 27 Jan 2021 17:20:23 662 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:

There's definitely a lot more to the games than this.

Firstly, you have fourteen different weapons with their own skills to master, as well as the different skills your palico and palamute will bring to the game.

Beyond that there's a wide variety of resources to collect and items to craft that will help you on your hunts.

Then there's the crafting of a huge variety of weapons and armour sets that can wildly alter your stats.

You'll also need to learn each hunting zone's map and the many different short cuts and exploits that can help you in your hunt.

Finally there are the monsters themselves. Each game usually has a wide selection of them, with several nastier variants. Fighting them and learning their attacks can be hugely intimidating at first, but the more you fight them, the better you get at defending and countering them.

All this packed into what will be a lengthy story mode with lots of different quests and hunts to take. It can at times be a bit grindy, but get into hunting with your mates - all of you using different combat styles - and it can be one of the most satisfying gaming experiences going.

Is that it...? Pffft.
  • Alastair 27 Jan 2021 17:25:39 24,702 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Devilligan wrote:
    get into hunting with your mates - all of you using different combat styles - and it can be one of the most satisfying gaming experiences going.

1020hrs on MH:W is testament to it being awesome!
  • chrisno21 6 Mar 2021 10:50:01 2,437 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Less than 3 weeks now - I'm pretty excited to get into this!

I believe there are split campaigns SP+MP and I'm not exactly sure how it'll work until we get our hands on it but I expect to be on a fair bit.
  • Alastair 6 Mar 2021 11:23:49 24,702 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Woo!
    I have my pre-order for the Rise themed Switch and Pro controller all ready..
    Expect some friend code requests...
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.