Mafia: Definitive Edition Page 3

• 8bitMofo 25 Sep 2020 20:17:06 798 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Did they make any adjustments to the race Misson?
    I hopped on Twitch, and streamer thumbnails all contain the racing segment of the game.
    Its been entertaining to watch other people struggle :)

Edited by 8bitMofo at 20:24:22 25-09-2020
  • spookyxelectric 25 Sep 2020 20:36:15 197 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I heard that you could skip the race though? I don't have it yet myself.
  • DUFFMAN5 25 Sep 2020 22:21:49 26,216 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @spookyxelectric

Just done the race, first time first place. After you can talk to the mechanic who states that 20 old years ago most drivers couldn't complete :)

I don't remember that line in the original, made me chuckle anyway.

I thought the times run to get the car sorted before the race was more tricky.

First two hours with the game, love it.
  • Syrette 25 Sep 2020 22:43:57 50,862 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah it's brilliant.
  • whatthefu 25 Sep 2020 22:51:00 1,334 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Glad to hear the positive things.
    I really wanted the original back in the day but couldn't get it, so I'm looking forward to the remake and giving it a go at last.
  • Derblington 25 Sep 2020 23:29:21 34,074 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iíve just finished the 3rd mission. Bit clunky in places - Tommyís movement mainly, but car handling isnít smooth either - but thatís not entirely unexpected. Nice looking game though, technical issues aside.

Looking forward to getting stuck into the story properly on Sunday.
  • Your-Mother 26 Sep 2020 02:41:09 4,970 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not a fan of the changes to the driving. The original had pretty strict adherence to traffic laws, stopping at red lights etc. theyíve removed all that (literally, no traffic lights at all) and left basically just ďdonít speed (ps optional)Ē. Which is fine but it feels like they shouldnít have even bothered. Also no free aim when shooting for a vehicle, so itís ďpress shoot until they stopĒ rather than tactically taking out tyres or going for a lucky shot at the passengers or drivers.

Edited by Your-Mother at 02:41:32 26-09-2020
  • Syrette 26 Sep 2020 08:25:12 50,862 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Your-Mother

Can't you toggle all that on or off via the pause menu?
  • Derblington 26 Sep 2020 08:46:54 34,074 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The driving thing is all there. Iím playing on Classic difficulty and the police come at you for everything. Iíve also been sat at red lights waiting for traffic to move.

I didnít play the original so I donít know if it was even more strict there but thereís definitely the elements of it here from what Iíve played briefly.
  • DUFFMAN5 26 Sep 2020 09:48:31 26,216 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not a fan of Paulie V/O. And the Gunsmith guy reminds me of Vic Reeves "Kinky John" from The Club ;)
    Otherwise really enjoying, also what Derbs said re traffic.
  • SnackPlissken 26 Sep 2020 10:16:08 2,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The shooting seems way off on this. Having recently played Mafia 3 which had excellent gunplay it seems like theyíve reverted back to Mafia 2 mechanics.
    Problem Iíve always had with Mafia is that is pretty shoddy but the story and setting make up for it. This is pretty much exactly that.
  • Your-Mother 26 Sep 2020 10:41:02 4,970 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can you guys screenshot a traffic light? I swear Iíve driven all over the city and never seen any at all, and a quick Google suggests Iím not alone. I even double checked specific junctions against the original (like the first one before the main bridge out of Little Italy). Cars treat every junction like a four way stop for me, and thereís zero penalty for just swerving around them right in front of a cop.

Playing on PC on Classic difficulty, not that that should make a difference.
  • Ultrasoundwave 26 Sep 2020 10:45:18 6,127 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still havenít got into this yet because I want to finish Ghost of Tsushima first.

From what I can gather, itís modern graphics/presentation pasted over almost 20-year old gameplay???

As long as the story is intact Iíll be happy.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 26 Sep 2020 10:46:47 33,272 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, I cant say I've seen a single traffic light. It's a bit weird.
  • Your-Mother 26 Sep 2020 10:53:19 4,970 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I mean, itís not a big deal but something I loved about the original was that it genuinely felt like a real world, and that you couldnít just GTA through to the next checkpoint. Even at the time that felt unique. Aside from speeding and collisions, that seems to be missing here. Also noticed thereís no phone booths for foot cops. In the original you could run into them to stop the foot cops from calling in any violations or sightings. Now itís ďcop in sight = starĒ.

Minor things, but I still miss them.
  • Your-Mother 26 Sep 2020 11:14:40 4,970 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ALSO while Iím on a soapbox, I donít like the changes to Tommyís character motivations. In the original for the most part he was swept up into a life he didnít really want to be a part of, and there was a heavy reluctance driving the character. Theyíve tweaked him here where heís not only a willing participant, but also antagonistic. Like in this itís his suggestion to go get even on the guys who destroyed his cab (effectively volunteering to join Salieriís crew), whereas in the original itís explicitly Salieriís decision and Tommy has no choice or say in the matter.
  • DUFFMAN5 26 Sep 2020 11:28:21 26,216 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Yeah, I cant say I've seen a single traffic light. It's a bit weird.
    I was referring to the Police re traffic violations, I will check later re traffic signals. Apparently they are there just a great deal less than in the original game.
  • Syrette 26 Sep 2020 12:14:54 50,862 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    almost 20-year old gameplay???
    That's a bit of an exaggeration, yes it's not best of class, but in my opinion it's no worse (or better) than most modern third person shooters when it comes to gameplay. It's definitely a step up from what I recall of similar games two decades ago!

Again there's plenty of options and things to toggle (and I mean more than just the difficulty level and movement sensitivity), so I'm sure that most can tailor the game to be more to their liking if first impressions encourage them to.

Personally I've just left everything as default more or less, and on medium difficulty (which again can be changed). Might change the vehicle handling (which I like as is) to simulation to give it a a go as I never bothered to in Mafia 3,though.
  • Steagz2020 26 Sep 2020 15:09:32 11 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Anybody got a sudden urge to play the 2002 version yet?
  • DUFFMAN5 26 Sep 2020 15:24:04 26,216 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Steagz2020
    Funny enough I was thinking about it, mainly for those Django Reinhardt tunes, I love those. Not heard so many on this version.

About 4 hours in and really enjoying it... Just found what Ronald Mcdonald does now. Oh how he has fallen 😁
  • StarchildHypocrethes 27 Sep 2020 14:51:39 33,272 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh god, I forgot how awful the bit just before the dreaded race is.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Sep 2020 14:54:48 26,216 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes
    The race is easy after that 👍🏎️ Have to admit to getting a little pissed off with the chase missions be it by driving a car or motorbike, both handle like shite. One area that it is very good with is the checkpoint system, it is great when a game gets that right.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Sep 2020 18:47:05 26,216 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Completed, really enjoyed. Not perfect and I was not a fan of the following/driving missions but otherwise the story, world and atmosphere were all very immersive and fun.

Some stats for ya!
    Time: 14h
    Skill: Medium, most settings on default.
    Detective books 80%
    Black Mask:5%
    Science: 25%
    Terror: 25%
    Gangster: 25%
    Ciggie cards: 68%
    Post Cards
    Fox: 3

I'm happy enough about those, the game was all about the story and not trying to find bits and bobs, in saying that I do the nods to all 3 games with some of the cards.

8/10

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 07:36:28 28-09-2020
  • Syrette 27 Sep 2020 18:53:53 50,862 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    9/10 for me thus far, absolutely (re-) love the atmosphere and the story. Helps that I've had a fascination with the American Mafia for most of my life and the franchise has always nailed the (supposed) 'feel'.

I know it's partly a throwback to its origins but I love how linear this is too. I'm really tired of open world games now and I struggled through Ghost of Tshusima a bit because of this despite that game's quality.
  • oldschoolsoviet 27 Sep 2020 18:56:54 6,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Oh god, I forgot how awful the bit just before the dreaded race is.
    I wouldn't even bother with the secret cars in free roam then. ANY damage equals instant fail !

Like Duff, finished this morning, and kinda surprised at how short it was. Seems value enough as part of the trilogy, but I wouldn't be looking at the standalone until it was sub-£15.

Straight into Mafia 2, and by god, it's good to be back.
  • up_the_ante 27 Sep 2020 19:26:57 1,414 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Also no free aim when shooting for a vehicle, so itís ďpress shoot until they stopĒ rather than tactically taking out tyres or going for a lucky shot at the passengers or drivers.
    That's a game breaker for me. Well not quite, but I absolutely loved shooting out the tyres or getting a hit on the driver and seeing the car swerve off the road behind me.
  • Syrette 27 Sep 2020 19:35:00 50,862 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hang on, you can turn aim assist off.
  • Baihu1983 27 Sep 2020 19:38:27 12,850 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    8bitMofo wrote:
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Did they make any adjustments to the race Misson?
    I hopped on Twitch, and streamer thumbnails all contain the racing segment of the game.
    Its been entertaining to watch other people struggle :)

It ended the game for me 20 years ago
  • SnackPlissken 27 Sep 2020 22:09:00 2,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I remember completing the race with a keyboard. I have no idea how I managed that.
  • Humperfunk 2 Oct 2020 22:29:04 8,315 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just one mission to go which I will finish off tomorrow morning. Must say, I have enjoyed this hugely. I love the structure of its story driven missions in an open world, really has kept the momentum up throughout.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.