Forum turning to shit Page 2

• EMarkM 2 Oct 2020 10:37:32 5,064 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:

You could just dress up in some frilly underwear and pretend to be his gf for a night. Fall on that pork sword so to speak.
    You raise a good point.

PUN FULLY INTENDED, OH YES.
  • MrWonderstuff 7 Oct 2020 12:20:26 3,369 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bump.
  • myk 8 Oct 2020 08:14:12 732 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    surely they could do something like block any post that has more than four numbers in it's title? might hit a couple of innocent threads but it's got to be better than this spam.
  • KRadiation 8 Oct 2020 08:22:50 1,591 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Its a simple block on new users only being able to post 1 thread per day for the first day they've registered.

They could extend that to posts made if the spam then fell into threads and the bots flooded them instead.
  • Murbs 8 Oct 2020 08:23:14 24,849 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What about new threads needing moderator approval first? Or more mods in general. Hell, I'd happily clear up the crap in the mornings
  • MrWonderstuff 8 Oct 2020 08:31:19 3,369 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oohh lovely wall of spam. Is there a way giving more Egers Mod status just to admin the spam?
  • TechnoHippy 8 Oct 2020 08:33:51 17,842 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Morning spam is great for breakfast :-(
  • KnuttinAtoll 8 Oct 2020 08:41:56 8,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the situation where people here keep making sensible and seemingly easy to implement suggestions day in day out, even volunteering to RodgerReed Inc. to help combat the daily spam avalanche, when all that happens is... absolutely nothing. For what feels like months now.

I'm not a web designer so don't know how much effort is involved in making some of these changes, but at this stage I'm convinced that EG is in fact determined to become the world #1 advertiser in the tech support scamming industry.
  • askew 8 Oct 2020 08:43:25 21,965 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hail mods for this thankless task
  • RyanDS 8 Oct 2020 08:51:50 13,364 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Really surprised no one at eg has commented on this. Surely a "we are working on it" at least. It must be a pain banning all the accounts on their side.
  • Gl3n Moderator 8 Oct 2020 08:54:13 6,826 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's been raised more than a few times. With EGX Digital recently and with the state of things it hasn't been a priority - if that wasn't obvious.

Basically, expect spam filled pages between the hours of midnight and 8am for the foreseeable.
  • dominalien 8 Oct 2020 08:55:28 9,936 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Really surprised no one at eg has commented on this. Surely a "we are working on it" at least. It must be a pain banning all the accounts on their side.
    The unpaid mods are doing that.
  • RyanDS 8 Oct 2020 09:13:53 13,364 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gl3n wrote:
    It's been raised more than a few times. With EGX Digital recently and with the state of things it hasn't been a priority - if that wasn't obvious.

Basically, expect spam filled pages between the hours of midnight and 8am for the foreseeable.
    Fair enough, apologies yours is the first response I have seen.

I do think it would make sense to give a few users mod privileges to help out and give you guys a break though.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 8 Oct 2020 09:23:42 20,990 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gl3n wrote:

Donít think being snarky is very helpful. Respect goes both ways and while people should be empathetic to the staff who clearly have more pressing issues, a bit of clear communication back to a engaged, active and loyal community would go a long way.

This is actually the first direct message from a mod or admin Iíve seen personally. Lots of hearsay and bits repeated from Discord but if there was an Ďofficialí explanation is must be buried in a thread somewhere.

Canít understand why there isnít just a sticky message at the top of the forum or something. Itís just basic communication and transparency.
  • KnuttinAtoll 8 Oct 2020 09:25:44 8,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gl3n wrote:

I don't mean any offense saying this now, but don't you feel a bit like a mug for still doing this work when there's zero support coming from the site owner?
  • JamboWayOh 8 Oct 2020 09:27:03 21,096 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wouldn't say Gl3n was being snarky at all, he's just letting you know how things are.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 8 Oct 2020 09:27:43 20,990 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ĎIf that wasnít Ďobviousí.
  • MrWonderstuff 8 Oct 2020 09:28:50 3,369 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    We all here want the best for the forum - making more mods (unpaid) seems the way to go (especially those are around at weekends/small hours). Clearly choosing mods is difficult but surely it's reasonable.
  • KnuttinAtoll 8 Oct 2020 09:30:50 8,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Gl3n wrote:

Donít think being snarky is very helpful. Respect goes both ways and while people should be empathetic to the staff who clearly have more pressing issues, a bit of clear communication back to a engaged, active and loyal community would go a long way.

This is actually the first direct message from a mod or admin Iíve seen personally. Lots of hearsay and bits repeated from Discord but if there was an Ďofficialí explanation is must be buried in a thread somewhere.

Canít understand why there isnít just a sticky message at the top of the forum or something. Itís just basic communication and transparency.
    I think the problem is that the forum community shares very little with that of the front page, and as such isn't deemed worth putting any effort into retaining.

In some way, I'd almost prefer them to shut down the forum instead of letting it die a slow death to spam (which is I'm sure causing some poor gullible person somewhere on this planet some real grief if they fall for the scamming). I don't want to but the end result will be the same if things don't improve, I will just not visit the site any longer if all I ever see is pages upon pages of shit.
  • SnackPlissken 8 Oct 2020 09:40:53 2,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Surely it'll just get to a point where the mods can't be bothered anymore. I mean unpaid and all that.. why bother.
  • prodge Moderator 8 Oct 2020 09:44:49 422 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Surely it'll just get to a point where the mods can't be bothered anymore. I mean unpaid and all that.. why bother.
    I don't mind publicly admitting I'm getting close to that stage.
  • neilka 8 Oct 2020 09:45:14 23,592 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can see how EGX Digital is taking up all their time, it only finished three weeks ago.
  • Technoishmatt 8 Oct 2020 09:50:10 4,624 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I am grateful for the moderators efforts. We should have a national moderator thank you day. I am not even joking.
  • Rum_Monkey 8 Oct 2020 09:51:42 1,457 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Until it starts affecting the front page they won't bother.
  • fontgeeksogood 8 Oct 2020 09:53:44 10,892 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    I am grateful for the moderators efforts. We should have a national moderator thank you day. I am not even joking.
    #notallmods
  • Technoishmatt 8 Oct 2020 09:55:57 4,624 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Havent you types done enough? Not like they can be defunded any further.
  • JamboWayOh 8 Oct 2020 09:57:27 21,096 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    #notallmods
    Do you mean the wrestling loving kind?
  • Derblington 8 Oct 2020 10:01:10 34,075 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    We can clap for them for a few minutes in the morning, after they've cleared up the shit from the night before.
  • Load_2.0 8 Oct 2020 10:42:19 32,182 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Its absurd that a website that gets huge volumes of traffic has zero interest in addressing the problem.

Just copy the fricken Reddit model, new users can't post until they have liked a few articles, posts etc.
  • creepiest-lizard 8 Oct 2020 10:52:00 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why not pay people in a few free bits and pieces, games and whatnot, for moderating and/or very easily fixing the problems?
    I'm sure loads would do it for some freebies.
    Probably even for nothing, just to help out.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.