Forum turning to shit Page 3

• Phattso 8 Oct 2020 11:14:13 25,936 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    ‘If that wasn’t ‘obvious’.
    I read that as exasperation more than snark?! Gl3n isn't defending the state of play, he's telling it as it is: they have clearly decided that (insert almost anything) is more important than addressing spam in the forum. (insert almost anything) is even more important than making an "official" statement to 400 whinging bastards.

Let's not glorify ourselves with the word "community" given the scale we're at - and I say that having been here the better part of two decades and loving you guys more than my illegitimate children. :)
  • You-can-call-me-kal 8 Oct 2020 11:17:58 20,990 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Believe me I feel for the mods. They’re in the middle of this doing all the work and taking the brunt of the frustration. For their sake as well as the community (or whatever we are), some meaningful communication from the overlords would be helpful.
  • Dougs 8 Oct 2020 11:23:27 95,992 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Phattso 400, ha! If there's a 10th of that many active users I'd be surprised!
  • Deleted user 8 October 2020 11:27:47
    I would generally classify this as misanthropy rather than a community.
  • creepiest-lizard 8 Oct 2020 11:29:17 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was thinking some fucked up form of therapy.

Edited by creepiest-lizard at 11:29:34 08-10-2020
  • DJCopa 8 Oct 2020 11:30:48 2,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It would be a shame to see this place go.

I'm not a massive poster but read it daily. The fact it's not all games is what brings me back - lots of interesting viewpoints and a community (for better or worse) that just isn't found elsewhere.
  • DFawkes 8 Oct 2020 11:34:05 32,649 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When I was going through some stuff, I vented here. People just let me get on with it and shared some supportive words. Meanwhile, the referral I was supposed to have to the local mental health team never came to anything. It's a minor thing but you lovely people did me a world of good at that time. That feels like a community to me at the very least. Almost like a family - you don't necessarily have to like all members of your family, after all :p
  • JamboWayOh 8 Oct 2020 11:35:58 21,094 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    When I was going through some stuff, I vented here. People just let me get on with it and shared some supportive words. Meanwhile, the referral I was supposed to have to the local mental health team never came to anything. It's a minor thing but you lovely people did me a world of good at that time. That feels like a community to me at the very least. Almost like a family - you don't necessarily have to like all members of your family, after all :p
    Damn! He really is the FRIENDLIEST FORUMITE.
  • Decks 8 Oct 2020 11:40:37 26,869 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm going to put together a task force of 2016's greatest forumites and we're going to come up with an action plan and present it to Rupert.
  • JamboWayOh 8 Oct 2020 11:44:48 21,094 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does SuperBob count? I mean he was wasn't on the awards list but he definitely should have won...something!
  • Decks 8 Oct 2020 11:47:27 26,869 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He actually won best forumite one year I think.
  • JamboWayOh 8 Oct 2020 11:54:50 21,094 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well shiiiiiit...
  • Not-a-reviewer 8 Oct 2020 12:05:19 6,533 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I’m not a programmer but I wouldn’t have thought it would be that difficult to put a 1 day delay on creating threads or only being able to make so many in a set amount of time.
  • Load_2.0 8 Oct 2020 12:06:22 32,182 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There's plenty of lurkers and forumites who read but have lives so choose not to engage in furious debate about the intricacies of post Brexit fisheries policy or pixel density of Kristen Dunst's nipples.

I've no idea of the traffic but I suspect it's higher than we would guess at.

What embarrassing and potentially of concern to the advertisers is how unprofessional it is to abondon a large section of the website to spam.

This is a business with significant revenue and really needs to act like it.
  • monkman76 8 Oct 2020 12:10:15 16,815 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A B O N D O N
  • andytheadequate 8 Oct 2020 12:12:36 9,333 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Load_2.0 completely this. Having a forum full of spam is completely unprofessional and makes them look like a joke to advertisers and new users, even if they don't regularly post on the forum. I understand that everything is prioritised and they'll have a million things to work on, but this can't be a difficult fix and it makes their site look so shit. And if they can't be arsed to fix it then I'd just remove the link to the forum on the home page if I were them.
  • Zyrr 8 Oct 2020 12:12:36 479 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In all honesty I get the feeling that the forum will only be here until the next big site overhaul. Whenever that happens I expect it will just disappear without a word.

"Follow Roger ReedPop on Facebook to engage with the community!" Etc etc.
  • alt-cmd-esc 8 Oct 2020 12:13:43 527 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    I’m not a programmer but I wouldn’t have thought it would be that difficult to put a 1 day delay on creating threads or only being able to make so many in a set amount of time.
    Should be pretty easy, and fair enough to, say, limit users to only being able to post in existing threads, for example, for the first week of registering, only letting them create new threads after having been registered for 7 days and, most importantly, having already contributed comments in x threads (by which time they would have been outed as spammers, I hope)

Edited by alt-cmd-esc at 12:14:06 08-10-2020
  • brainbird 8 Oct 2020 12:14:12 2,654 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    For what it's worth I'm posting once every two years, mainly because I've never come across the thread about Kirsten Dunst's nipples. But I visit the forum (and front page) on a daily basis. Don't know if that means you're part of "the community".

#jesuiseg
  • Decks 8 Oct 2020 12:14:51 26,869 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The fact that they spammers have posted in a few threads to call us motherfuckers would make me believe it's actual people sitting doing this rather any kind of automated program which probably make sit a lot more difficult to deal with.

I'd suggest maybe stopping any new topics with numbers in them as an option maybe?
  • alt-cmd-esc 8 Oct 2020 12:19:16 527 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Decks it’s odd behaviour for sure, but I guess they’re spamming for google indexing hits rather than trying to sell anything to the motherfuckers who actually use the forum?
  • wuntyate 8 Oct 2020 12:23:12 15,468 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    The fact that they spammers have posted in a few threads to call us motherfuckers
    Really? How rude.
  • HoriZon 8 Oct 2020 12:26:25 14,301 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Feck all spammers.
  • ZuluHero 8 Oct 2020 12:31:33 9,252 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    Damn! He really is the FRIENDLIEST FORUMITE.
    He really is!

If it wasn't for DFawkes I wouldn't have claimed my prize of a massive Sony 3DTV for a competition EG ran a few years back. He sent me messages on all the channels he could reach me through, like Guild Wars and the like. It was really nice of him.

I think about it often and I try and return the favour to the people on the forum.
  • Nazo 8 Oct 2020 12:32:25 1,465 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I doubt people are actually sitting there posting these threads, I saw one that posted a bit of the script in the title. I suspect real people probably make the initial post to figure out how to configure the script and maybe occasionally monitor results. And call us motherfuckers.
  • Derblington 8 Oct 2020 12:52:23 34,073 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Without the forum I wouldn't bother with the site at all. I do use the front page daily but only because I'm here and it's a click away.

Reviews seem less frequent than they were, news is normally later than other sites (and therefore the forum). It's only really the odd interview or opinion piece that has much relevance for me.
  • LegendaryApe 8 Oct 2020 12:53:02 2,131 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyway, back on topic.

I like Kirsten Dunst's nipples, but in general don't
    find her attractive.

She's very plain looking.
  • Rum_Monkey 8 Oct 2020 12:53:50 1,455 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    She's got a bit of the Harry Kane's about her.
  • Rodney 8 Oct 2020 13:01:59 4,663 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Zyrr wrote:
    In all honesty I get the feeling that the forum will only be here until the next big site overhaul. Whenever that happens I expect it will just disappear without a word.

"Follow Roger ReedPop on Facebook to engage with the community!" Etc etc.
    This thought depresses me..I've been reading this forum for nearly 20 years, and in a weird way it's been the one constant in my life. I rarely see any of my friends from 20 years ago, and my life has gone in some unexpected directions, but I still lurk/post here daily and have actual affection for some of the familiar names on here.
  • lordofthedunce 8 Oct 2020 13:12:00 688 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In years to come they'll make a film about all this

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.