Forum turning to shit Page 26

• Zomoniac 17 Oct 2020 19:01:50 10,281 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wasnít the whole reasoning behind the removal of PMs that it allowed people to get scammed? And since then the whole forum has become one big scam factory.
  • uiruki 17 Oct 2020 19:05:20 5,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I thought it was because of GDPR, they didn't want to be responsible for people possible swapping PII on their servers.
  • Zomoniac 17 Oct 2020 19:15:21 10,281 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I had in my head itís because someone posing as a forum reg got involved in the swapsies thread and scammed someone out of some money? Happened around the same time, maybe it was just coincidence.
  • uiruki 17 Oct 2020 20:50:55 5,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Could well be, it's always easier to blame it on GDPR.
  • brokenkey 17 Oct 2020 20:54:12 10,605 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    No, it was gdpr. I asked at the time and admin confirmed it.
  • Dougs 17 Oct 2020 20:57:43 95,995 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Pretty sure they've said as much in this thread too recently
  • andytheadequate 17 Oct 2020 21:13:32 9,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, it was GDPR, although there was a scammer using PMs who had a very similar username as a reg.
  • Jono62 17 Oct 2020 21:21:06 25,760 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Name was Alyss or something like that. They tried the same in the Discord.
  • StixxUK 17 Oct 2020 23:02:34 8,403 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Anyone else finding the forum freezes in any chromium based Android browser?

Edge, Brave and Chrome all seem to suffer from it whilst Firefox doesn't...

Happened on both my old handset and my new one so it's not the hardware!
  • BigOrkWaaagh 18 Oct 2020 00:15:22 9,704 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Name was Alyss or something like that. They tried the same in the Discord.
    Alyz1_1 or something like that. But they had another name before that which was the scam name, I can't remember what it was.
  • Rogueywon 18 Oct 2020 00:34:35 9,485 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    I had in my head itís because someone posing as a forum reg got involved in the swapsies thread and scammed someone out of some money? Happened around the same time, maybe it was just coincidence.
    Had somebody try this with me, a few days before the PMs were suspended. I was looking to shift an old PC and somebody posing as a regular set themselves up as a buyer via PM. I noticed the username was slightly wrong, with a _ rather than a -.

Not sure if it was the cause or not, but there was definitely somebody trying to use the PM system for scamming purposes a few days before it was withdrawn.
  • smemma 18 Oct 2020 06:04:25 745 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, they were posing as Higgy

Shitbags
  • Dougs 18 Oct 2020 06:25:48 95,995 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:

I get this weird thing in Chrome where when I go to quote a post, the previous tab I've been browsing appears. And only disappears when I start typing. Odd as fuck.
  • EMarkM 18 Oct 2020 11:23:24 5,064 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aaaaaaaaaaand we're off!
  • askew 18 Oct 2020 13:18:27 21,965 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    smemma wrote:
    Yeah, they were posing as Higgy

Shitbags
    we'll see
  • challenge_hanukkah 18 Oct 2020 13:47:45 13,166 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It was the real higgy. He was just redistributing your wealth.
  • Dombat 18 Oct 2020 20:31:57 1,797 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:

I used to get that on my last Android phone. Using Firefox was a viable workaround until I made the switch back to iPhone a year ago. Shame to see the problem still exists.

Edited by Dombat at 20:34:41 18-10-2020
  • Trowel 18 Oct 2020 21:04:35 23,800 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:

Used to happen all the time for me until very recently, but I found that another site I usually had open in another tab was clashing in some way.
  • DaM 19 Oct 2020 10:46:55 17,487 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Surely it would take a minute to write code to filter and delete post titles that have the character sequence for those little graphics? It would stop 90% of them.
  • KnuttinAtoll 19 Oct 2020 11:07:22 8,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wonder how many people got scammed out of money as a result of EG continuing to allow this shit to go on for yet another week (since Oli's update).

I also wonder to what extent EG is garnering a reputation in the scammer scene as a place to do easy business, almost unhindered.
  • Phattso 19 Oct 2020 11:17:42 25,939 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Letís not overreact people. Jesus. The internet is a big place, these scammers deal with an aggregate of scale of tens or hundreds of thousands of weak ass places they can dump their junk. EG is a drop on the ocean against that backdrop.

I mean it sucks, and I want it fixed, but talking like EG are singlehandedly enabling GLOBAL FRAUD ACTIONS is fucking stupid. Have a word. :)
  • KnuttinAtoll 19 Oct 2020 11:21:30 8,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes, I'm aware of that Phattso, but at the same time, if this was my site I would be embarrassed to be a part of the problem when it should be pretty straightforward to nip it in the bud.
  • Gruff 19 Oct 2020 11:23:33 3,686 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Holy cow, look at the Mod Gang, they will be able to name a first eleven soon :)
  • Phattso 19 Oct 2020 11:31:27 25,939 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Yes, I'm aware of that Phattso, but at the same time, if this was my site I would be embarrassed to be a part of the problem when it should be pretty straightforward to nip it in the bud.
    The issue is that the forum is 25th on a list of other things that are more important.

When they get to it, I'm sure it'll be fixed rapidly. They haven't gotten to it. ut even then this naive notion that someone is going to just arbitrarily hack a fix into the codebase is silly. They'll look at the problems, formulate the regex(s) to fix them, patch the code, test and deploy. It's not a ten minute job. At least not if you want to do it "right".

While the three dozen of us in here are clearly very important and special people, perhaps in the scheme of things it's just not that big a deal. Food for thought. :)
  • KnuttinAtoll 19 Oct 2020 11:54:33 8,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well if the same experts who are responsible for the forum search function will do it 'right' eventually then I'm sure we're in good hands.

Having said that, I have started to question why I keep staring at pages upon pages of tech support threads every morning, afternoon and evening for the past month or so, and having to use awkward workarounds just to be able to read threads I want to, so food for thought indeed.
  • Phattso 19 Oct 2020 12:01:15 25,939 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dude - I'm not saying don't be pissed, if that's how you want to react. But the hyperbolic "HOW COULD THEY DO THIS TO THE CHILDREN" horseshit is all a bit much IMO.

Maybe I'm just getting more chill in my old age? It is what it is. I filter by threads I've posted in and go on about my day.
  • Steve-Perry 19 Oct 2020 12:03:48 2,040 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Dude - I'm not saying don't be pissed, if that's how you want to react. But the hyperbolic "HOW COULD THEY DO THIS TO THE CHILDREN" horseshit is all a bit much IMO.

Maybe I'm just getting more chill in my old age? It is what it is. I filter by threads I've posted in and go on about my day.
    I agree. It's really not that important to me. It's a bit annoying but I just go and do something else for a bit.

I'm sure they'll sort it. The fact they've said they would is really nice of them. I worked for a huge website years ago that lost all its traffic due to a google update. The forum was really busy. It was literally just deleted because it was a waste of time commercially.

We should be thankful they're letting the old girl continue, and the mods are saints for clearing it all up in the meantime.
  • Nazo 19 Oct 2020 12:06:10 1,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Remember the good old days when Craigy would deploy a cache config update at 5pm on a Friday then bugger off down the pub, resulting in people getting randomly logged into other usersí accounts?

Thatís the kind of decisive action this site is lacking recently.
  • KnuttinAtoll 19 Oct 2020 12:41:25 8,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Phattso wrote:

You're right, it's really not worth it.
  • Psiloc 19 Oct 2020 12:49:27 5,753 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Am I the only one who thinks "it will take a long time to fix this!" would be a shitty excuse if it were even remotely true?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.