FIFA 21

• Ultrasoundwave 2 Oct 2020 10:04:16 6,364 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Couldnít find a thread but there probably is one, feel free to get your MERGE on mods.

Anyway, Iíve put a few hours in now through EA play and itís definitely more evolution than revolution.

On the pitch it feels like the players have more realistic movement and ďweightĒ to them - if they receive a ball to feet they canít just instantly turn and go into a full sprint, they actually have a sense of momentum about them.

Theyíve also added the ability to have defenders in the box for a short goal kick, but apart from that I havenít noticed much new.....although Iím sure there are more changes/improvements.

Off the field (career mode) there have been more changes - player development has improved a lot and you can now focus/retrain a player to a certain style or position.

Also, you can LOAN TO FUCKING BUY SOMEONE......itís bugged me for years that you couldnít do that before so itís a nice (but very late) addition.

All in all though.....itís just FIFA 20 with some quality of life improvements.
  • Syrette 2 Oct 2020 10:09:07 51,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You expect revolution in a football (or any sports) game?

I don't think we'll see anything, er, game-changing till we're a good couple of years into the next generation.
  • Daeltaja 2 Oct 2020 12:00:15 2,027 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a bunch of gameplay issues in 20 that you only really notice after playing it a lot. My only ask is that they fix those and get rid of the absolutely ridiculous momentum scripting.
  • spurslol 2 Oct 2020 12:02:09 555 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    All in all though.....itís just FIFA 07 with some quality of life improvements.
    ftfy
  • Rhaegyr 2 Oct 2020 12:13:21 5,428 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FIFA had a purple patch somewhere between 10-15 but it feels like it's been getting worse since then. Bought 20 last year (first since 15) and binned it after a few hours.
  • KRadiation 2 Oct 2020 13:52:22 1,731 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can we kick off with 2 players in the middle like it used to be now I hate the 1 player passing it backwards option.
  • Ultrasoundwave 6 Oct 2020 10:20:46 6,364 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I completed my 10 hour trial and have now unlocked the full game.

I canít stress enough how important it is to FUCKING BIN tactical defending and use legacy defending.

Tactical defending is supposed to be more ďintuitiveĒ and ďrealisticĒ but, when youíve got Harry Kane in the box turning on a dime whilst your defender turns like the fucking Titanic.......it makes the game absolutely infuriating.

Switching to legacy defending completely solves the problem - just some advice for those picking it up this week.
  • imamazed 6 Oct 2020 10:24:50 6,635 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Christ. Not played FIFA for years, but I remember them bringing tactical defending in. I assumed 'legacy' defending would be a stop gap solution as they weren't really confident about their new system, so surprised that it's still in the game.

Due to the EA Access Game Pass thing, I may jump into the 10 hour trial next month, so thanks for the heads up, USW
  • KRadiation 7 Oct 2020 08:31:34 1,731 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Really not feeling this years.

Still the same menus so it just feels like I'm still playing an older version.

Gameplay, I'm not seeing any changes. Certainly nothing that they showed on their trailers about improved collisions. They still bounce off each other.
    Weird issue on penalties where the players stand up and glitch walk to the referee slowly and you cant seem to skip it immediately.

Far too easy. I thrashed Liverpool 4 1 on the intro spoiler match (why give away the thrill of playing in the champ league final?) it should have been more but I gave up.
    Bumped it up to legendary diff. Still hammering teams.
    Through balls are far too over powered.

Its a very half arsed bare bones update as they go from generation to generation. No wonder they're doing free upgrades.

Edited by KRadiation at 08:32:14 07-10-2020
  • binky Moderator 8 Oct 2020 00:05:29 11,139 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It plays quite a bit faster than the previous iteration. Slightly manic almost. Iím not sure Iím going to enjoy playing against people using this new agile dribbling thing. That + any lag is a killer. See also the new commentary. Iíve had to turn the commentary off. Lee Dixon is even more grating here than in real life. Bad move changing the commentary team.
  • Dazimus 8 Oct 2020 09:20:54 1,560 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @binky Itís funny how people see things differently. I found it slower than last year and have seen others say the same. But I think Iíve also seen people say they think itís faster too.

I think it plays fine, I find it slower as I say and I prefer that. Itís very barebones in terms of improvements though, which probably explains why they didnít bother releasing a demo this time.

Maybe the next gen version is a big improvement and thatís where theyíve been putting all of the effort? Probably not to be honest.
  • binky Moderator 8 Oct 2020 09:30:37 11,139 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Dazimus Oh really? That's interesting.

I play almost exclusively in Coop Seasons and Pro Clubs. We've played over 1,000 games of 20, and last night we played a few hours of 21 in coop. We played 2 games of 20 right after to compare and contrast and it honestly felt slower, not by a lot, but definitely less manic.

I think we're going to wait a month until it sorts its shit out before going back in.

Oh, and we've had this happen at least once per match which is thoroughly game breaking. Not that 20 is without its problems.
  • Zomoniac 8 Oct 2020 22:34:13 10,486 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    RIP Martin and Alan.

Fuck you Derek and Lee.
  • binky Moderator 8 Oct 2020 23:11:10 11,139 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Iíve changed my commentary to Italian.
  • KRadiation 9 Oct 2020 08:08:11 1,731 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Incomming commentary DLC £9.99
  • JYM60 9 Oct 2020 09:44:57 18,914 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    RIP Martin and Alan.

Fuck you Derek and Lee.
    Can't believe they didn't change the Bruno Fernanche line from Derek's commentary. Or is that how you say his name in Portuguese or some shit?
  • Ultrasoundwave 9 Oct 2020 10:18:41 6,364 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quick note that Iíve JUST realised about 30 hours in when it comes to retraining players to a new position:

You have to manually go into each player once theyíve completed their retraining and press Y (or triangle I guess) to convert them to that position.
  • KRadiation 9 Oct 2020 21:47:29 1,731 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm really not liking this. Easily one of the worst footie games I've played in recent memory.

Shonky controls and poor jelly animations.
    Boring goals
    Commentary is PES like bad.
    Tons of bugs and glitches.

You can tell they just didn't give half a shit with this. I'd cross my fingers for next gen but I'm guessing it will be the same game but just at a higher res.
  • Steagz2020 11 Oct 2020 00:33:39 19 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    The ability to jump in and out of matches at any time during a football manager style match SIM is amazing in my opinion,,,, this is probably the best thing iv ever seen in console football management,,,, why this is not getting praised more is beyond me,,,, pes needs this asap

Edited by Steagz2020 at 00:37:38 11-10-2020
  • spindle9988 11 Oct 2020 09:29:10 5,218 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What the fuck happened to the commentary?
  • Zomoniac 5 Dec 2020 09:53:04 10,486 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The next gen patch gives everyone wildly overanimated hair. Messi now looks like Jack Grealish in motion (but more upright) and itís quite jarring.
  • scott1987 5 Dec 2020 15:16:56 271 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • scott1987 5 Dec 2020 15:16:56 271 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How the hell do you upgrade this? Mine still seems to be showing as the Xbox one version?
  • Daeltaja 17 Dec 2020 12:10:20 2,027 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This game is total dog shit. Defending is laughably broken and scripted momentum is way more noticeable then ever before.

Binned it.
  • scoobysi 19 Dec 2020 23:20:20 1,483 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I havenít played FIFA much for a number of years, although have dabbled a bit as my son plays it a lot. However Iím really enjoying this version, for some reason it has grabbed me more than the others, it feels fluid, passes go where I expect and Iíve not had an issue with the defending.I like the feedback on the triggers too. The only real issue I have is a bit of slowdown on the PS5 version (single & local vs) which will hopefully get patched out.

PS5 activity cards are great for jumping straight into Kick-Off, Tournament etc, from the dash.

@scott1987 donít you just download the new version, I donít think itís an upgrade, at least it wasnít on PS5. (I guess youíve figured this out by now as just noticed date)

Edited by scoobysi at 23:21:19 19-12-2020
  • THFourteen 20 Mar 2021 09:57:00 54,520 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Jesus christ. Did my 5 placement matches today, managed to win 2 of them, but 3 of them were the most painful 15minutes each of my life. Lost 6-0, 7-1, 8-2... the last game the other guy had Ronaldo, Maradona, Lewandowski, Fernandes, god knows who else... it was literally pointless, i dont know why EA designed it in this way.

Anyway its plonked me in division 5 and i'm shit, so i guess it will be another 20 games until i get back to division 8 or something.
  • EvaShinQ 27 Apr 2021 21:26:21 1 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    Guys, aren't you tired of this game?! I am sooo freaking annoyed by the amount of bugs in this game, and basically nothing changes from one update to another. I even get the impression that it only gets worse and worse! I really miss the good old days of FIFA 15, that one was probably the best one from the last 10 games. I really hope that FIFA 22 would be something special. Ehhh, what do you think about the champions league semis?! As I have got so much work, I don't know if I be able to watch the live soccer matches today, hope I will make it.

Edited by EvaShinQ at 18:52:38 03-05-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.