Mass Effect: Legendary Edition Page 3

• Technoishmatt 7 Nov 2020 20:13:29 5,349 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Where you getting this info?
    What info? That the first game isn't getting any functional updates? That's just from their press release - it's visual upgrades for the trilogy only, it seems. Which is great but, while I love that first game like my first illegitimate lovechild, it's a chore to actually get through the combat and I'd have loved it if they could've ported the content forward. :(
    They did talk about refinements for modern era too.
  • Deleted user 7 November 2020 20:15:19
    That just means iTunes integration
  • StarchildHypocrethes 7 Nov 2020 20:29:45 33,950 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fuck the election, this is proper news! \o/

And confirmation of a new ME too. Unf.
  • Nanocrystal 7 Nov 2020 20:39:44 2,530 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have rock bottom expectations for the new one to be honest.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 7 Nov 2020 21:16:28 4,436 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I didn't mind Andromeda, I did play it on a free month of EA Play though... And after all patches etc. It had its flaws but was entertaining enough for me to finish.
  • Syrette 7 Nov 2020 21:21:50 51,155 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    I have rock bottom expectations for the new one to be honest.
    Agreed, yet the possibility (however slight) of a return to form (after Andromeda) is pretty exciting.
  • Rodderz 7 Nov 2020 21:39:50 4,490 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    \o/ Finally. It's about time we had a remaster of the originals, though a little laughable it has taken EA up to the end of this console gen to suddenly announce it. Regardless, I'm very much looking forward to playing this awesome series again.

As for Andromeda, it had its flaws but I think it did some good things too. The combat was one improvement, moving the series on somewhat from the GoW cover shooter clone, to something a bit more open, tactical and the suit with the little thrusters was kind of reminiscent of a slower paced Vanquish.

Now EA have recognised the potential of single player games again, with the success of Jedi Fallen Order, I hope they properly invest in this new sequel and Bioware can return to some former glory days post-Anthem. Plus, PLEASE EA let the team use UE5 rather than Frostbite, which was a flawed engine for this style of game.

Edited by Rodderz at 21:41:56 07-11-2020
  • HelloNo 8 Nov 2020 09:23:46 2,283 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hope they update everything except the Mako, which is left exactly the same, controls and textures included.
  • Rodderz 3 Dec 2020 22:18:07 4,490 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It has been announced that Casey Hudson (Mass Effect head honcho) and Mark Darrah (dragon Age exec producer) have left BioWare.

Not sure what that means for either franchise, but it seems like all is never well at that previously brilliant studio since EA bought them and the founders, Dr's Muzyka and Zeschuck, left. Time will tell I guess.
  • Frogofdoom 3 Dec 2020 22:31:44 17,878 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Casey Hudson only came back a few years ago.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Dec 2020 22:52:09 24,990 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tbh Bioware hasn't been Bioware for an exceptionally long time now.
  • Rogueywon 3 Dec 2020 23:05:07 12,272 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They've been Bioware-in-name-only since... hmmm... I'd say Dragon Age: Inquisition was the last title that had even faint traces of their old magic.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Dec 2020 23:43:21 24,990 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    They've been Bioware-in-name-only since... hmmm... I'd say Dragon Age: Inquisition was the last title that had even faint traces of their old magic.
    I'd say earlier like Mass Effect 2.
  • Rogueywon 3 Dec 2020 23:44:45 12,272 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @JamboWayOh ME2 was the last burst of full, undiluted Bioware magic, for sure. But it didn't vanish overnight... we just got dminishing returns on it until not a trace was left by the time Andromeda hit.
  • Daz190uk 4 Dec 2020 07:06:26 463 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Controversial, I know, but I think ME3 is every bit as brilliant as the other two.

I agree Inquisition was their last proper good game.
  • TechnoHippy 4 Dec 2020 07:42:49 19,220 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I didn't enjoy ME3 when it was first released, but gave it another try a year or so ago and ended up completing it. It certainly had it's moments.
  • Dombat 4 Dec 2020 07:49:49 1,915 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I donít think ME3 is as bad as a lot of people make out. I do think itís their last good game though.
  • Rogueywon 4 Dec 2020 09:18:12 12,272 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Dombat ME3 had some great moments and specific scenes that really stood out in my mind. My problems with it were threefld.

First, that the whole key to beating the Reapers turns out to be a secret superweapon that wasn't even mentioned in the first two games. That felt like one of those dialled-in episodes of Star Trek:TNG, where the crisis of the week is resolved by fiddling with the sensor dish.

Second, that ending. Even after they patched it to expand it a bit, it still felt like total bathos after a generally excellent three game series.

Third, the multiplayer tie-in required to get the "best" ending (such as it was). That felt horribly misguided and I got very, very bored of those same few multiplayer maps.
  • smoothpete 4 Dec 2020 09:30:28 37,723 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Daz190uk wrote:
    Controversial, I know, but I think ME3 is every bit as brilliant as the other two.
    I agree, I really liked it. I never quite got the hate for it.
  • richyroo 4 Dec 2020 09:30:37 646 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mass Effect 3 is awesome. Anyone that says otheriwse needs their head testing!
  • Scimarad 4 Dec 2020 09:37:53 9,962 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    From an actual gameplay perspective I thought it was fine as were some individual bits but as a 3rd part in a trilogy I thought was terrible and just didn't convincingly fit with the other two. Which is quite an achievement as ME2 already felt a bit disconnected from 1 in several ways though I never felt that hurt that game in the slightest.
  • Stuz359 4 Dec 2020 10:56:27 481 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The third part in a trilogy is usually disappointing because they have to wrap up all the story beats. Everyone has an idea for how those stories resolve and it never matches the vision you yourself had for it. Even then they did a really good job with the story.

Gameplay wise though, it was spot on.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Dec 2020 11:14:45 31,146 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rodderz wrote:
    It has been announced that Casey Hudson (Mass Effect head honcho) and Mark Darrah (dragon Age exec producer) have left BioWare.

Not sure what that means for either franchise, but it seems like all is never well at that previously brilliant studio since EA bought them and the founders, Dr's Muzyka and Zeschuck, left. Time will tell I guess.
    Have EA ever taken over a studio and them not went to shit?
  • Deleted user 4 December 2020 13:15:44
    Scimarad wrote:
    From an actual gameplay perspective I thought it was fine as were some individual bits but as a 3rd part in a trilogy I thought was terrible and just didn't convincingly fit with the other two. Which is quite an achievement as ME2 already felt a bit disconnected from 1 in several ways though I never felt that hurt that game in the slightest.
    ME2 felt sour to me because it just threw away most things that made me love ME1 and handwaved away all the glaring inconsistencies and plot holes. I mean, the "continuation" of the main storyline is like four missions or so of shooting bug people who feed blended humans to a giant Terminator.

However, I learned to appreciate it for what it does, because it is bloody good at that. It works great when I accept it as not a sequel, but rather as a separate game/spinoff. I loved Mordin and Jack, and Garrus of course. Garrus was from ME1 obviously, but ME2 is absolutely great with him. I can see why people love ME2, it's just that as a fan of ME1's grand sci-fi story it will always remain a big ugly stain on ME2 to me how it turned that into a comical sidenote.

ME3... well it was a good action game.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 13:21:55 04-12-2020
  • Deleted user 4 December 2020 13:17:16
    It just occured to me how after 4 ME games there was only one with a good antagonist
  • Mola_Ram 4 Dec 2020 13:31:36 26,066 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the reporter lady that you got to Renegade Punch in all three games was a good antagonist.
  • Deleted user 4 December 2020 13:38:17
    Am I the only one who doesn't do that because physical violence against journalists for asking unwelcome questions doesn't feel right?
  • richyroo 4 Dec 2020 13:39:26 646 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I dont even class Saren as a bad guy. Poor soul was indoctrinated and kills himself if you can talk him into it. Fairly heroic in my book!

Edited by richyroo at 13:40:25 04-12-2020
  • Mola_Ram 4 Dec 2020 13:40:09 26,066 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's right for a Renegade.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Dec 2020 13:40:15 33,950 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @DrStrangelove People like you give intergalactic space bastards a bad name.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 13:47:06 04-12-2020
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.