Mass Effect: Legendary Edition Page 28

• Mola_Ram 13 Jun 2021 10:09:39 26,050 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    I missed that announcement. There is a new Mass Effect coming?
    Yeah, but all they had to show was a single shot of it.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 10:26:10 13-06-2021
  • Baihu1983 13 Jun 2021 11:06:14 14,298 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They released a teaser that showed Liara a outside a base and hinted at bringing back Shepard

https://youtu.be/Lg-Ctg6k_Ao

Edited by Baihu1983 at 11:09:37 13-06-2021
  • Vice.Destroyer 13 Jun 2021 20:47:45 7,424 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks for that info. I guess I have all the geeks to thank that lapped up this legendary edition for convincing EA that they are leaving money on the table. Shame the geeks didn't turn up for Andromeda, but I guess they showed up when it mattered.
  • Baihu1983 13 Jun 2021 21:10:30 14,298 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm ready to start a new game of Andromeda thanks to the legendary edition. Shame it won't get a series X upgrade and I'm disappointed that story will just be left unfinished.
  • RobTheRobber 13 Jun 2021 21:25:02 121 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Andromeda actually sold reasonably well, but afaik it didn't meet EA's expectations and the backlash made them lose hope in the game. Anthem also didn't meet expectations.

Bioware is in sort of an identity crisis right now, with EA probably wondering how they can make best use of this developer that was once revered mostly for the ME trilogy. The obvious solution is trying to make another old school Mass Effect, Shepard back and all, because that's the most hopeful chance for a commercial success now.

Personally, I have little hope and I see EA's bony finger of death approaching Bioware.
  • the_milkybar_kid 13 Jun 2021 21:58:47 8,473 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got to say, I'm only just up to Ilos on 1 but this has got me interested in trying Andromeda now. As well as No Man's Sky.
  • Vice.Destroyer 13 Jun 2021 22:14:12 7,424 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Got to say, I'm only just up to Ilos on 1 but this has got me interested in trying Andromeda now. As well as No Man's Sky.
    Can't speak to No Man's Sky. People seem to like it. But I can vouch for Andromeda. I had a lot of fun with it.
  • RobTheRobber 13 Jun 2021 22:32:46 121 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Andromeda is great from a gameplay point of view. It combines everything that was good about the action of the trilogy games and improves on it. The cover system is far superior. It even brings back ME1 elements that were good, all combined in one bigger, better package.

The big letdown is the narrative part. Everything's boring AF. This is just not good enough for a game with the Mass Effect name.
  • InfiniteDan 14 Jun 2021 03:58:12 135 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    The only really good game Bioware has ever made is KOTOR. It might be time to admit that while decent, the Mass Effect games are a bit overrated?

Jade Empire sucked. Dragon Age wasn't all that. Pretty much all their games overuse the lightside/darkside moral mechanic and it makes so much of the story and dialogue obvious and un-nuanced.
  • damagedinc 14 Jun 2021 09:11:05 3,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think they're overated in the slightest, if anything I don't think reviews at the time were that gushing.

Loved them back in the day and all these years later despite obvious dated mechanics etc etc still absolutly hooked.
  • Baihu1983 14 Jun 2021 09:13:56 14,298 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah still enjoy the series. Gameplay is fine and it's got so many great characters and moments
  • chrisno21 14 Jun 2021 09:17:09 2,488 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    According to the PlayStation clock I played the legendary edition for 95 hours to complete every mission and get the 3 platinum trophies.

ME1 still the best story by far and the best game.

The story beats in 3 were just terrible, this enemy who kept beating us even though we smashed him every time were just frustrating, predictable and dull. The ending still sucks. 2 was fine, but the whole Cerberus is evil so let's work with them was as bad as I remembered.

All in all, I can look back on the first bring as great as I remembered and the other 2 being as meh.
  • CalamityJames 14 Jun 2021 09:52:25 311 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    InfiniteDan wrote:

Jade Empire sucked.
    Them's fightin' words!
  • spookyxelectric 14 Jun 2021 16:01:20 593 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    InfiniteDan wrote:
    The only really good game Bioware has ever made is KOTOR. It might be time to admit that while decent, the Mass Effect games are a bit overrated?

Jade Empire sucked. Dragon Age wasn't all that. Pretty much all their games overuse the lightside/darkside moral mechanic and it makes so much of the story and dialogue obvious and un-nuanced.
    If anything, I'd say KOTOR is the overrated game of the lot. The combat was always terrible, and it's even moreso now that the Dragon Age games took it and refined it. The characters are mostly uninteresting, and it's one strong point was the plot twist. Oh, and it being Star Wars, having Jedi powers etc.

It was a good blueprint for the games that came later, but it's definitely not their best.

Edited by spookyxelectric at 16:01:44 14-06-2021
  • Technoishmatt 14 Jun 2021 16:10:22 5,336 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, no contest, ME is better...
  • Rogueywon 14 Jun 2021 16:13:20 12,244 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    KOTOR's an odd one. It was great at the time, but with hindsight it falls into an odd, janky valley between the late Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale 2) and the more polished games from the 360/PS3 era.
  • damagedinc 14 Jun 2021 23:58:28 3,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    See for my playthrough cerberus kind of makes sense.

Rejecting the spectre title and council not making it at the end of 1 kind of gives me this antihero vibe anyway haha..that along with them rebuilding me literally.
  • Baihu1983 15 Jun 2021 06:48:14 14,298 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If anyone should have joined Cerberus in 2 its racist Ashley.

No need for that intro to force Shepard into that organisation. The Council should have just had him go rouge to investigate stuff while they tried claiming it was just a Geth attack.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Jun 2021 06:55:30 26,050 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I mean... you were forced to work for the council in the first game. I don't know why it's so terrible to be forced to work for their opposite in the sequel. You get to kill Martin Sheen at the end anyway, so who gives a shit.
  • RobTheRobber 15 Jun 2021 07:17:12 121 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Well, one difference is that the Council is kind of a representation of many species (even if some are more equal than others), while Cerberus is an extremist faction of a single species.

Then, in ME1 you can repeatedly shut them down by telling Joker to cut the connection. That's become a meme. I wish I could tell TIM to fuck off like you could the Council in ME1.

And then, the Council gave me leads but told me to do as I saw fit. TIM did similarly with the dossiers and squadmates, but left me zero choice with the "main" quests. To the point that even talking to him would immediately result in being teleported to the next "main" mission. When the Council told me something, I still could take my time and go there whenever I chose to. The Council asked me to do something, they didn't force me to do it right now.

And the Council didn't let me run into traps that they knew were traps.

Edited by RobTheRobber at 07:23:11 15-06-2021
  • Mola_Ram 15 Jun 2021 07:24:33 26,050 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The dictates of open world game design let you take your time with the missions in the first game, not the Council. You still had to do them; cutting their communications off in mid-sentence made no real difference.

And yeah, Cerberus is an evil organisation. That makes being forced to work with them *more* interesting, not less. Forces those Paragons to take a break from saving cats stuck in trees and do something slightly more morally grey. :)

Edited by Mola_Ram at 07:25:52 15-06-2021
  • RobTheRobber 15 Jun 2021 07:52:36 121 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    While I agree that it's mostly a gameplay decision, I don't think you can fully separate that from the story told. A game is designed in a specific way with a narrative to accompany it. If the game is designed such and such, the narrative is designed to support that. And thus, the narrative gives you more freedom in ME1 than in ME2. It may be a gameplay decision but it is reflected in the narrative, which makes the Council feel less like giving you orders than TIM does.

Another thing is that Citadel, Council etc. are a gathering of different species and humanity is trying to earn its place among them and that's something I can get behind. Cerberus being all about human dominance and fuck everyone else, I reject that. Politics aren't always pretty, but ME1/Council gives me some greater goal. Cerberus is a bunch of knobheads trying to confront with a primitive "us vs. them" mindset and I don't want anything to do with them.

Edited by RobTheRobber at 07:55:30 15-06-2021
  • Baihu1983 15 Jun 2021 07:52:48 14,298 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But all it did was have them suddenly saying, all that stuff from 1? Yeah no forget that Cerberus really just want to help...

But the entire Cerberus storyline should have been scrapped or finished mid way through 3 and leng should have been cut.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Jun 2021 07:56:25 26,050 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well yeah, that's definitely a problem with the first game having poorly-written side quests. I guess maybe they hadn't planned on making Cerberus so central to the plot of the second game; otherwise they might have taken some time in the first to make them a bit less... one-note.
  • RobTheRobber 15 Jun 2021 07:58:45 121 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    See, that's another thing I resent about ME2. In ME1, in the end the Council said you are a hero for everyone and you saved us from the Reapers etc. Then ME2 pretends that never happened and the Council is like "Reapers don't exist you gullible fool, fuck off". That is not a problem of the Council, that's a problem of ME2's narrative.
  • RobTheRobber 15 Jun 2021 08:01:42 121 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Mola_Ram

I'm confident that in ME1 they weren't planning to give Cerberus the role they got in ME2. I just don't see anything in any ME1 Cerberus encounter to indicate any such thing.

But that's how it goes, they never had a plan about how everything would turn out over the course of the trilogy. The motivation of the Reapers was never explained in ME1 or 2 either because it hadn't been decided yet.
  • Baihu1983 15 Jun 2021 08:03:00 14,298 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah 2 ignored too many things from 1. Didn't the original writer leave Bioware just after 1 released?
  • RobTheRobber 15 Jun 2021 08:08:33 121 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Afaik Drew Karpyshyn (main writer of ME1) was involved in the beginning of ME2 development but left pretty soon.

There's the Tali recruitment mission in ME2 with the star going supernova unexpectedly. From interviews I've read they were still unsure why the Reapers did what they did but one idea was that the rise of advanced civilisations led to the rise of biotics which in turn would cause dark matter/whatever shenanigans to mess up stars and cause stuff like this. It wasn't decided at the point, but it was one path they were apparently considering, giving the Reapers an actually interesting motivation.

At least a more interesting one than "you create AI that kills you all, so to prevent that we kill you all."

Edited by RobTheRobber at 08:09:59 15-06-2021
  • Wayne 15 Jun 2021 09:42:01 3,942 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I absolutely adored the ME trilogy first time round. Played the games, read the books, the comics, watched the animated movie. I was all in, so to speak.

But playing ME1 again now, dear god, the pacing is awful. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cut scene skipper, I love dialogue in games, I love getting to know characters, the lore, the story, etc. But it feels like I can be going for up to an hour at a time without pulling my gun out. And then when I do... lets go with Noveria... it's a handful of enemies at a time.

ME1 has the best story by far, that's a given, but dear god the pacing.
  • RobTheRobber 15 Jun 2021 11:29:59 121 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    If anyone should have joined Cerberus in 2 its racist Ashley.
    People always act as if Ashley was some kind of space nazi. Yeah she is xenophobic (to a little extent understandably given her background). But she comes around. She actually cares about Liara after the whole thing with her mother. She becomes friends with Tali. Ashley's character arc is one meant to be overcoming xenophoby.

But she's not simply xenophobic for the sake of it. She doesn't trust anyone, alien or not, and she hates Udina even though he's all HUMANITY. She attacks Terra Firma for being just racist jerks. She calls you out for working with Cerberus, because she disapproves of space nazis.

Ashley is deeply distrustful, which first means having aliens running around on the Alliance's most advanced spaceship, but she comes around. She gets used to aliens but she never gets used to human supremacist jackasses like the ones you're working with in ME2. It's Ashley who tells you to fuck off for working with the nazis.

I think the hatred for Ashley misses the point. She's actually one of the more complex characters in the trilogy. And she is anything but space nazi. TIM is. Ashley is not.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.