Mass Effect: Legendary Edition Page 29

• Baihu1983 15 Jun 2021 12:04:35 14,298 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    She wants humanity first more than anything which is why she would be a good fit.

Doesn't matter anyways because the VS is wasted in 2 and spends the first half of 3 going over and over about thinking they can't trust the one person who's been trying to stop the reapers all this time.
  • RobTheRobber 15 Jun 2021 12:09:58 121 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Again, in ME1 her character arc is about a xenophobe coming around.

The dialogue in ME2 is half-arsed and she's awful in ME3, yeah. But what did you expect? ME2 dismisses Mass Effect and ME3 is a clusterfuck. ME1 is the good Mass Effect game.

Edited by RobTheRobber at 12:14:24 15-06-2021
  • ozthegweat 15 Jun 2021 14:36:18 2,968 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RobTheRobber wrote:
    At least a more interesting one than "you create AI that kills you all, so to prevent that we kill you all."
    I disagree. The motivation of the Reapers they ended up using could have been a very interesting one if they hadn't fucked it up at the end of ME3:

The Leviathans were an aquatic race that mind-controlled other races. Those races frequently built AI that then annihiliated those slave races. To avoid this the Leviathans built an AI of their own (great idea) with the goal to preserve life. Turns out that AI decided the best way to preserve life is to 1. wipe out advanced races (including the Leviathans) to prevent them from building species-annihilating AIs, and 2. store the genetic material of the races they wiped out in order to still fulfill the "preserve" part after doing the "wiping out races" thing.

For me, a big part of the entire Mass Effect saga is showing that destroying (Geth) or controlling (Krogans) other species is the wrong way, and that it is possible to coexist peacefully. The game's ending should have been to disable the Reapers with logic, using all the event outcomes of Shepard's missions throughout the trilogy. And through that convincing the Reapers that they themselves are the very threat they tried to prevent, and that biological and synthetic races can coexist like my Shepard, the Quarians and the Geth proved during and after ME3's Rannoch mission. End with the Reapers turning friendly and repopulating planets with races they wiped out in the best ending, and shittier versions of that if you didn't do all the sidequests you lazy bastard.

But instead we got "synthetic life forms bad, destroy or control them?", and "synthetic life forms bad, merge every species with ??? Synthesis yay".

Edited by ozthegweat at 14:53:32 15-06-2021
  • RobTheRobber 16 Jun 2021 14:05:48 121 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I'm not sure, I don't like the idea of the Reapers being convinced by logic. They're physically super-advanced and they should be also in terms of intelligence. That's part of what makes them so menacing.

By the time we come up with a logical argument, they should have processed that argument and every related one a trillion times. I don't know, convincing the Reapers with logic feels too much like "Kirk outsmarts the computer" to me.

Edited by RobTheRobber at 14:09:13 16-06-2021
  • ozthegweat 16 Jun 2021 17:37:48 2,968 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well it could also be that our cycle is the first that managed to achieve things that were prior thought impossible by ghe Reapers. Because of Shepard or whatever.

Still a better ending.

Edited by ozthegweat at 17:38:31 16-06-2021
  • Technoishmatt 16 Jun 2021 17:57:44 5,336 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The question i ask myself is, what would Burnham do?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 16 Jun 2021 18:00:15 33,937 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeeeah...I'm not sure everyone becoming friends with the Reapers is a better ending
  • ozthegweat 16 Jun 2021 18:16:42 2,968 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Could also be handled differently, whatever, my point is that the ending presents things as fact that Shepard has shown as false again and again throughout the entire trilogy.

Edited by ozthegweat at 18:17:57 16-06-2021
  • Wayne 16 Jun 2021 22:27:20 3,942 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    Could also be handled differently, whatever, my point is that the ending presents things as fact that Shepard has shown as false again and again throughout the entire trilogy.
    Writing from the school of X Files.
  • Mola_Ram 16 Jun 2021 22:56:51 26,050 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well we can't all be professional writers.
  • Gazray_88 26 Jun 2021 12:12:28 23 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I want this so so bad, but waiting for it to go on sale.
  • richyroo 26 Jun 2021 17:13:49 646 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I completed ME3 a few nights back. The ending is actually alright and the build up to it with the final mission I thought was excellent. It really set a sombre tone, Jennifer Hale you could feel the emotion in her voice.

The Reapers were not destroying organic life, they were "harvesting it" to preserve it, due to the ever destructive nature between organics and synthetics. If they wanted to destroy all organic life, they would of also destroyed the young races, but instead they let them flourish. It may seem like flawed logic to us, but this is ultimately the logic of an advanced AI, one which has seen numerous cycles come and go and civilisation not doing anything to disprove its theories.

Yes Sheppard may of brokered peace between the Quarians and Geth, but ultimately it wouldn't last. To think that this feat would change an advanced AI's logic, one that has existed for thousands of cycles, is quite naive.

There is no happy ending. Everyone wanted a "You saved the Galaxy and destroyed the Reapers" ending. Well you cant always get what you want.

As a package, it is 3 exceptional games.

ME1 = Fantastic story, world building and lore.
    ME2 = Huge cast of characters and much improved gameplay overall
    ME3 = Best combat by far. Ties up a lot of plot threads wonderfully.

I would really struggle to decide which game I prefer and ME3 is underrated by a lot of people just because they didnt like the ending.

All 3 games will hold a special place in my heart.

Edited by richyroo at 17:18:47 26-06-2021
  • Baihu1983 26 Jun 2021 17:31:00 14,298 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Andromeda is the most underrated game in the franchise
  • Technoishmatt 26 Jun 2021 17:36:08 5,336 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Coming straight in from ME1 to ME2 I am actually still a bit ambivalent on the gameplay side of things.

As a vanguard in ME1 I stormed around shotgunning mercs and aliens in the face.

In ME2, it seems your health only ever regens when actually in sticky cover. I have been caught out a couple times by running into a safe place and then getting out down.

And you have fewer powers to work with! I end up in cover, getting Miranda and Garrus to spam shielded baddies with overload, and I use pull, and by then they are helpless.

Edited by Technoishmatt at 17:36:52 26-06-2021
  • richyroo 28 Jun 2021 13:50:15 646 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Technoishmatt ME2 makes you rely on your squadmate powers far more than it ever did in the first, especially at higher difficulties.

The fewer powers are better as well, they are more suited to each squadmate. It didnt make much sense for Wrex in ME1 to have biotic powers for example. In ME2, a tech expert only uses tech etc. Makes choosing who you have on each mission more important too as it depends what enemies you may be facing.
  • Dave_McCoy 28 Jun 2021 14:50:07 3,409 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I forgot ME3 doesn't let you holster in mission areas. Shame they couldn't sort that out. Not a big deal but having Shepard swinging his (or her) gun about constantly doesn't seem right.
  • Wayne 28 Jun 2021 14:53:50 3,942 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Im about half way through ME1 now and I kinda wish Id just kept the memories. So much of this game is really frustrating me. A lack of way points, and when I do get a way point, theyre so often glitched.
  • CalamityJames 28 Jun 2021 16:07:10 311 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I finished ME1 last night and found really easy this time around. I first played it on normal in 2008, then played it on easy in 2019 because I just wanted to blast through the story as quickly as possible. And I found this playthrough, on normal difficulty, easier than either of them.

That could just be because it's my third time, but I think whatever they've changed about the combat makes it easier.

As for ME3, I enjoyed it and I'll enjoy it again when I get to it, but I didn't and don't like the fact it's a straight-up shooter with hardly any discernible RPG DNA. Never had an issue with the ending (even before they patched it), it just felt kinda thin compared with the previous two. Oh, and with the original release it was infuriating that so much of the game was carved out and sold as DLC, but obviously that doesn't apply this time out.

For me, ME2 is unquestionably the peak of the series, even though it barely moves the trilogy's overarching story along at all. The characters and their stories are just so well realised.
  • Nanocrystal 29 Jun 2021 04:14:52 2,520 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Totally agree with richyroo's post above. I'm a few hours into ME3 now and wow it definitely has the best combat by far. Huge step up from ME2, where the shooting felt quite limp to me and not much better than in ME1. Targeting enemies with powers is improved. Balancing the weight of weapons versus power recharge time was a great idea, and weapon mods are a welcome addition. And you can actually run now. And dodge!

ME3 is definitely underrated, the story telling is for the most part pretty decent, there's plenty of interesting lore there and it resolves a number of the trilogy's overarching plot lines in a satisfying way (particularly the genophage stuff which I think is this trilogy's highlight in terms of world building and writing). My biggest criticism is that it does try a bit too hard to be cool at times (Kai Leng, the cringeworthy banter between Vega and Cortez, and no, James, I do not want to be called "Loco").
  • robo-Dante 29 Jun 2021 09:07:36 23 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Question from someone who knows about the series, but never touched it: is Legendary Edition a compilation of games? Will I get the full experience if I play it?
  • Nanocrystal 29 Jun 2021 09:11:57 2,520 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @robo-Dante Yes, it's three full games that tell a single story. Plus all their DLC.
  • Baihu1983 29 Jun 2021 11:37:51 14,298 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Missing ME3s MP and Pinnacle Station DLC from ME1.
  • Technoishmatt 29 Jun 2021 12:37:10 5,336 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I enjoyed the MP! Guess I will have to try Andromeda.
  • Nanocrystal 29 Jun 2021 12:54:44 2,520 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah ME3 multiplayer was great. Pinnacle Station on the other hand will not be missed.
  • Baihu1983 29 Jun 2021 17:00:10 14,298 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah really enjoyed ME3s MP.

I'm playing Andromeda now so might see if anyone still playing it online.
  • robo-Dante 2 Jul 2021 11:47:38 23 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @Nanocrystal Nice! Then I'll definitely play it soon.
  • DUFFMAN5 2 Jul 2021 11:52:35 26,820 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:

I'm playing Andromeda now so might see if anyone still playing it online.
    When I played earlier in the year there was still a very healthy online community. It is a great mode, just like 3's.
  • CalamityJames 9 Jul 2021 13:07:26 311 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Started the third game a couple of days ago, and I haven't really warmed to it since I last played it. It feels like I'm playing any old generic military shooter. It's definitely the best shooter of the three though, by some margin. But I bought ME1 back in 2007 or 2008 because it was the latest RPG from Bioware, who made some of my favourite RPGs up to that point (KOTOR on the OG Xbox was at that point my top game ever).

With ME3, I feel the customisation, plot and script are of the level I'd expect from a military-themed FPS rather than an RPG. Which is fine I guess, because that's what it is. But I wish I knew what direction the series might have gone in if it had remained an RPG.
  • richyroo 9 Jul 2021 18:20:57 646 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @CalamityJames you say it feels like your playing a military shooter? I can play ME3 without even firing a bullet, perhaps change your class from that of soldier!

The plot revolving the genophage and the quarians/geth is anything but generic.
  • RobTheRobber 9 Jul 2021 20:52:46 121 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Post deleted
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.