Genshin Impact

• frightlever 4 Oct 2020 10:11:48 1,516 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Downloaded this on PC last night. Getting terrible lag in game (3600 + 5700XT + 32GB ram) and the controls are Nintendo. ie B to select, A to back out. No way to change it either. Not a huge issue when playing but it is messing with my head when I'm in the Settings menu.

Anyway:

https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/

• ZuluHero 4 Oct 2020 10:49:54 9,708 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Playing it on PS4, after seeing the article on front page as I'd never heard of it, and have been pleasantly surprised.

It's got a botw world, with a 'Tales of' story and progression. I think it looks good too, like playing a cartoon.

Not hit the freemium stuff yet, in fact I'm struggling a bit to understand how that side works. I know you can buy wishes with gems, but there are so many different ways to make them it's hard to know what is what.
  • magicpanda 4 Oct 2020 11:25:37 15,086 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I put a long time into this yesterday, it's genuinely excellent.

The 'it's a BOTW rip off' is doing it a disservice. It was inevitable BOTW mechanics would make it into other games.

At the end of the day though it's a lootbox game, it's only going to end in disappointment so I'm bailing early.

Are there any really decent RPGS similar to this? I'm eyeing up Ni no Kuni™ II: Revenant Kingdom.
  • ZuluHero 4 Oct 2020 11:55:50 9,708 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was only likening it to BotW give others an idea of what it's like to play.
  • sport 4 Oct 2020 12:50:32 16,578 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This the one with the anti cheat ring 0 access? Fuck that shit.
  • magicpanda 4 Oct 2020 12:51:28 15,086 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @ZuluHero Yeah, sorry, that wasn't directed at you. When they released the trailers a while back there was lots of harrumphing about this Chinese rip off.
  • jack5255 4 Oct 2020 13:25:14 879 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Magicpanda could look at tales of berseria if you’ve not played before. I had a good run on that to scratch an itch, must get back to it really as it was very fun

Replied to wrong comment 🙄

Edited by jack5255 at 13:26:07 04-10-2020
  • monsieur-Cosmo 4 Oct 2020 15:29:28 626 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    sport wrote:
    This.
    It allegedly installs kernel-level software which keeps running even after you close the game. Applies to PC obviously.
  • frightlever 6 Oct 2020 23:51:35 1,516 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    monsieur-Cosmo wrote:
    sport wrote:
    This.
    It allegedly installs kernel-level software which keeps running even after you close the game. Applies to PC obviously.
    Apparently patched out about a week ago. The anti cheat is still there, but the service stops when you exit the game.
  • Tuffty 7 Oct 2020 08:54:14 4,763 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tried it for an hour and really liked what I played. Got a little terrified at seeing all the stats and systems and resources the game was throwing at me so I decided to put it on thr back-burner for now considering I'm already pretty deep into similar games like Ghosts of Tsushima and FF14. There was the occasional framerate issues I saw but otherwise it looked remarkable and stacked with content, certainly sounds like it will rise the bar in terms of people's expectations from a free to play game, similar to Warframe.

Edited by Tuffty at 15:28:27 07-10-2020
  • DugBriderider 4 Jan 2021 14:44:40 848 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A bump after rediscovering the thread. I believe this game is getting a fair bit of love generally but not much round these parts. After the Winter event and update to version 1.2 adding a new area. I am encouraged that Genshin is going from a strong start to improving all the time.

Maybe I'm naive but I'm impressed by the depth of this Action JRPG style. It's mostly combat with some exploration and puzzles. The math's on the combat is very impressive, you have physical damage plus 6 types of elemental damage that all react together in different ways. That with the hot-swap 4 characters (that you would treat like guns in a FPS) makes combat satisfyingly difficult to master.

Like the above post I was intimidated by the variety of resources and grind required for upgrades but now I see how they push you to explore many parts of game. XP and currency are always in demand, but also materials from exploration, enemy drops, boss drops, dungeon raids. I don't mind the grind if the combat and art style are good enough.

Its free to play and I've been running two accounts so I can co-op with my kids, the gacha/lootbox element is there but so far I haven't spent a penny (I'm feeling a little guilty even) and been playing regularly since launch. I don't think you can pay to win, but you can probably pay to double the speed of progress. I have around 16 characters/weapons on each account and 2 premium drops on each and so far; you need about 8 well kitted characters to attempt the endgame content. You always feel your striving for the perfect team but resources and enemy variety make it always out of reach.

If only the story/dialogue wasn't so hit or miss, it maybe lost in translation but the lore/setting is solid. If it ever get released on the switch I'll have no reason to stop.
  • dfunked09 4 Jan 2021 17:18:08 1,451 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Tried it on PC for an hour or two and found it fairly enjoyable... Went to pick up where I'd left off on PS5 but realised that cross save doesn't work that way, so just never came back to it.
  • Murbs 4 Jan 2021 17:31:58 24,964 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've downloaded the ios version but haven't got around to starting it. Hearing lots of positive buzz on my podcasts at the moment (it's still October in podcast land 😂;)
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.