Hades (PC, Switch)

First Previous
  • Ultrasoundwave 8 Oct 2020 22:08:58 6,127 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sorry, but this game needs its own thread. Late to the part myself but recently started and it’s ridiculously good.

Series X/PS5 versions on the horizon, Shirley?
  • Frogofdoom 8 Oct 2020 22:16:14 16,955 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bloody brilliant game, haven't quite finished a run yet but have got to the last boss. Its probably my goty so far (although I expect it to be dethroned soon).

I'm amazed Microsoft haven't bought them yet.
  • StixxUK 8 Oct 2020 23:06:56 8,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    4 wins so far... From thinking it was impossible to actually winning most runs now, even starting out thinking I'm using a weapon I don't know how to use, or thinking my build is a lost cause.

Still bloody loving it!
  • Malek86 8 Oct 2020 23:08:49 10,765 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Only got to the final boss today, after 11 attempts, and got killed in phase 2. It does feel impossible right now, but I'm sure this feeling won't last long. And I still have lots of upgrades to pick up.
  • TheSaint 8 Oct 2020 23:09:54 19,944 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They’ve been raving about this on the computer game show the last couple of weeks. Planning to pick it up when it gets a price drop or even better pops up on game pass.
  • richardiox 8 Oct 2020 23:16:01 8,994 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Excellent game in every respect. 25 attempts, still a long way to go but beginning to upgrade the weapons now. It's so much more twin stick arcadey than I was expecting. Especially compared to the clunky combat of Bastion.

Has joined the ranks of Slay the Spire and Dead Cells as a must own rogue like indie game this generation.

What a fantastic console the Switch is by the way. Hades, Dead Cells, Into the Breach, Rogue Legacy, Slay the Spire, Hollow Knight - all perfect for quick blast handheld gaming.
  • dfunked09 8 Oct 2020 23:16:09 516 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Beat it once and somehow manage to get stomped in the area before the final boss, or get to the boss and choke. It's gone from being a quick "just one more go" game, to not being sure if I can commit to a 45 min run. Shit game!

Nah, it's bloody great obviously!

I've had Eurydice's music on loop when I'm not playing the game... Just a bit annoying that the OST version is a duet with Orpheus... Pretty obvious in hindsight, but still would've been nice to discover on my own and just have the original version on the OST instead.

Edited by dfunked09 at 23:34:50 08-10-2020
  • Trowel 8 Oct 2020 23:48:17 23,799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    Beat it once and somehow manage to get stomped in the area before the final boss, or get to the boss and choke. It's gone from being a quick "just one more go" game, to not being sure if I can commit to a 45 min run. Shit game!
    Closest thing I've found to Binding of Isaac in that respect, and many others of course.

I find it to be a little button mashy in places, but if I'm honest that's just down to the way I design my load outs - I luuuurve dash damage!!
  • StixxUK 9 Oct 2020 06:37:53 8,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Funny thing was... At first I was amazed to get past the first area, each new area seemed impossible to survive in. Now they're all just warmups to the final battle.

First time I beat him was with the notoriously op hunters blades, my feeling at the time was it was a fluke.

However doing it another 3 times in 24 hours suggests otherwise!
  • Mola_Ram 9 Oct 2020 06:48:14 24,586 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah the final boss isn't really that bad. All his attacks have pretty heavy windups, and the window to dodge them is pretty generous.

I finished it for real a few days ago, but will probably keep plugging away at the various unlockables for a while yet. I don't know if it will have as much staying power as some other roguelites, but I've thoroughly enjoyed myself so far.
  • Frogofdoom 9 Oct 2020 06:57:11 16,955 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been using whichever weapon gives the 20 percent bonus so I can get a feel for all of them. I'm not in any rush to complete it so its fun to try lots of different builds. I'm not even at a stage where I can weight builds yet so just happy to plod along.

Best £5 I have spent in a long time though.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Oct 2020 07:01:10 10,586 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Yeah the final boss isn't really that bad. All his attacks have pretty heavy windups, and the window to dodge them is pretty generous.

I finished it for real a few days ago, but will probably keep plugging away at the various unlockables for a while yet. I don't know if it will have as much staying power as some other roguelites, but I've thoroughly enjoyed myself so far.
    Have you guys who have finished it ‘borrowed’ 300 gold from Charon??
  • Malek86 9 Oct 2020 07:17:50 10,765 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've been using the shield. Favourite weapon by far. I guess it's only a matter of time and some more upgrades before I finish it.

I don't think I'll be playing past the end though. That's a common problem I have with story-focused roguelites. Only Isaac was different, and that one was more of a proper roguelike.

But I must confess that I wouldn't have given it a try if not for the EGS coupon. Still crazy that they pretty much gave people a 66% discount at launch.

Edited by Malek86 at 07:21:19 09-10-2020
  • CalamityJames 9 Oct 2020 07:54:17 273 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm holding out for a Switch cartridge release, but my willpower is being sorely tested because it's exactly my kinda thing. Nothing confirmed, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't get, at the very least, a release from Limited Run or a similar company at some point.
  • dfunked09 9 Oct 2020 08:18:08 516 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Yeah, that made my run come to an abrupt end... Haven't seen the option again since to have another try.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Oct 2020 09:04:31 24,586 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Yes, and after what happened I don't know if I'd be game to try again. :D
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Oct 2020 09:08:19 10,586 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If you win, he gives you a 20% off card for the rest of your run
  • Awimbawe 9 Oct 2020 09:16:16 659 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My Goty so far. I've stuck over 100 hours into this ( but was playing quite a bit in early access too ). Think I've rinsed it of everything to do and going for massively very high heat runs just gets less fun the more restrictions you use.
  • Trowel 9 Oct 2020 09:40:27 23,799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    But I must confess that I wouldn't have given it a try if not for the EGS coupon. Still crazy that they pretty much gave people a 66% discount at launch.
    I missed that but used the Epic Games £10 coupon you get for downloading Rocket League, which brings it down to £9. Absolute bargain.
  • StixxUK 9 Oct 2020 09:47:52 8,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    That is pretty crazy - however I definitely wouldn't have played it anywhere near as much if I hadn't got it on Switch

Well worth the £18 or so
  • Tuffty 9 Oct 2020 09:53:10 4,646 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Its so good. So smart how theyve added value beyond the appeal of doing multiple runs by adding in tons of dialogue, customisation and using the nature of death and re runs as part of thr narrative. Theres no weapon I actively dislike either. Its definitely up there as one of my GOTY.
  • Daeltaja 9 Oct 2020 10:04:06 1,838 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Only got to the final boss today, after 11 attempts, and got killed in phase 2. It does feel impossible right now, but I'm sure this feeling won't last long. And I still have lots of upgrades to pick up.
    Exactly where I am at. On that specific run I felt completely OP though with the upgrades I got. Need to be quite lucky.
  • Ironlungs_76 9 Oct 2020 10:46:33 180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm still yet to finish it, on approximately 50-odd attempts and got to final boss 4 times. Usually shield / Demeter / Poseidon build.

I was reading the other day about God Mode which sounds like a fantastic addition (although I am yet to try toggling it on). It apparently doesn't make the game immediately any easier but as you fail you start to develop resistances. The more you fail, the better you become at taking damage.

I'm a bit torn as my gaming mindset is to beat the game "normally" but God Mode was supposedly added to help people progress the storyline without getting bogged down by repeatedly failing.

Anyone else tried this God Mode care to confirm if this is the case or not? I don't want to unintentionally ruin my fun with the game if it does actually make it piss easy...
  • Mola_Ram 9 Oct 2020 11:06:57 24,586 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Ironlungs_76 so, basically, when you turn it on, you start at 20% damage resistance. Then, if you die while it's on, that increases by 2%, up to a max of 80%. You can turn it off at any time, and there's no penalty for using it.

I'm not ashamed to admit that my first victory had it on. I recommend it!

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:28:55 09-10-2020
  • nickthegun 9 Oct 2020 11:30:09 83,331 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I got this at the weekend. Not got very far, I think ive had nine or ten runs and made it to the fourth zone once (on a fluke build with a spear that shot lighting across the screen) but Ive started unlocking things that make the game easier.

I havent quite cracked the tactics yet. I had a tendency to pile in on health, only to hit a brick wall when the HP pools and armour start to get ridiculous, so tried to max out damage and was far too squishy.

Its also made me realise how fucked up my joycons are. Its pretty much unplayable without the hori split pad. I nearly snapped the switch when controller drift kept steering me into the lava pits.
  • Ironlungs_76 9 Oct 2020 11:30:55 180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mola_Ram - cheers for that. I think I'll give it a shot this weekend if only to see what happens after the boss.

In many ways I actually take consolation when I fail as it means I can go back to the hub and see what's new this time around...!

There seems to be so many different ways to build a character, weapons and artefacts aside. Finding out there were actually 2 sets of abilities in the mirror (purple and gold alternatives) that you can tinker with endlessly...such a satisfying gameplay loop.

My GOTY for sure this year.
  • dfunked09 9 Oct 2020 11:54:46 516 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    That is pretty crazy - however I definitely wouldn't have played it anywhere near as much if I hadn't got it on Switch

Well worth the £18 or so
    Got it full price on Steam a few weeks before launch and I'll definitely be picking it up for the switch when they enable cross save, well worth the cost of buying it twice!

The noclip YouTube docs on development of the game are well worth a watch for anybody interested in that side of it (the WFH one prompted me to buy the game funnily enough)

Edited by dfunked09 at 11:56:07 09-10-2020
  • StixxUK 9 Oct 2020 13:00:37 8,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Didn't manage to reach the boss until my 58th attempt! Although I did beat him first time.

Now on #72, 5 escapes. Making up for lost time!
  • Mola_Ram 9 Oct 2020 13:34:51 24,586 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Ironlungs_76 yeah I basically wanted to see the end, so I turned the God Mode on for the final battle. Turned out that I was (probably) ok anyway, but it's nice if you need just that little bit to push you over the edge.
  • KRadiation 9 Oct 2020 18:15:08 1,591 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I didnt try God mode as I presumed it would mean I'd be blocked from certain things. Like how ganes used to tell you to piss off and play on hard if you got to the last level on easy.

After reading it doesnt do anything but increase your resistance by a smidge. I gave it a shot. There is so much to play through, unlock/upgrade that I don't feel like I'm cheating myself. I've still only got to the end twice, most times im dying on the dual boss still so its not really boosted me to fly through the game. A few poor rolls of the dice and I'm still useless and dying easily.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.