The Official 2018 World Cup Thread :( Page 440

• deez 11 Jul 2018 22:39:23 231 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you don't really create any chances throughout a tournament, you are unlikely to win. I also struggle to see how this sets us in good stead for the future
  • p_star 11 Jul 2018 22:39:56 36 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Psiloc I supported Serbia. I felt that they would not make it to the knock out stages given their group. I was hoping they made it to the 2nd round - that would have been great. They got knocked out in the group stages. I felt slight disappointment. And that's it. I was not thinking the WC would be coming to Serbia...lol
  • robc84 11 Jul 2018 22:40:02 12,709 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    @robc84 yes
    Ok then, noted.

I enjoyed the ride anyway.
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 Jul 2018 22:40:38 5,808 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Unlucky England, a great tournament but beaten by the better team on the night.

There’s a young squad there who will be approaching their prime around the time of the next World Cup, also a young manager who will continue to learn and improve over the next few years.

Hopefully England will win the 3rd place play-off and Croatia will win the final!
  • reddevil93 11 Jul 2018 22:40:50 14,568 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    Psiloc wrote:
    Genuinely curious how other countries support their team then?

"It would be nice to scooooore! I would like it if we wiiiiiin with all due respect to the opposing siiiiiide"
    Basically like England, but with much less superiority complex.
    FTFY
  • robc84 11 Jul 2018 22:41:16 12,709 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    p_star wrote:
    @Psiloc I supported Serbia. I felt that they would not make it to the knock out stages given their group. I was hoping they made it to the 2nd round - that would have been great. They got knocked out in the group stages. I felt slight disappointment. And that's it. I was not thinking the WC would be coming to Serbia...lol
    Lol.
  • captbirdseye 11 Jul 2018 22:42:25 8,806 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is he Serbian. I'm guessing he's Scottish.
  • p_star 11 Jul 2018 22:42:32 36 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    Psiloc wrote:

"It would be nice to scooooore! I would like it if we wiiiiiin with all due respect to the opposing siiiiiide"
    FTFY
    ^this
  • JoelStinty 11 Jul 2018 22:42:36 6,741 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    deez wrote:
    If you don't really create any chances throughout a tournament, you are unlikely to win. I also struggle to see how this sets us in good stead for the future
    I think we are only a few tweaks away from having a good side. Basically a modric, a ball carrying midfielder who can retain possession and keep things ticking over. Hopefully Winks can get on top of his injuries as he could be an option

We have a good group of young players you can build a team around.
  • beastmaster 11 Jul 2018 22:43:08 18,493 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had a blast watching the tournament. Hopefully the next two games will be excellent games too.

I didn’t think we’d win it but it was great feeling nonetheless to think that just perhaps…Maybe.

As for the whole “you’ll never get a better chance” thing. We need to be able to beat France, Argentina, Spain and the like. And with what Southgate is building, I think we’ll be able to.

Edited by beastmaster at 22:47:00 11-07-2018
  • p_star 11 Jul 2018 22:43:12 36 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @captbirdseye Hey enough with the personal insults! Not Scottish. Part Serbian.
  • LeD 11 Jul 2018 22:44:00 6,983 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:

Well, here in France people don't give two shits about it until we get to the semis. And the people who do still think they know better and criticize Deschamps for fielding Matuidi and Giroud. Give me a whiteboard and I'll tell you why.

And the vast majority of the great unwashed will have no knowledge of where Football came from, so chants of 'it's coming home' will be taken the wrong way.
  • Jono62 11 Jul 2018 22:44:09 20,336 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Fans are 'rioting' in Croydon...?
    That's a normal night in Croydon.
  • quadfather 11 Jul 2018 22:44:45 32,006 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Fuck it, they've done us proud. A lot there to build on.
  • captbirdseye 11 Jul 2018 22:44:53 8,806 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I though Wales were going to win the Euros.. Does that make me an arrogant wanker?
  • JamboWayOh 11 Jul 2018 22:45:16 8,497 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    p_star wrote:
    Jesus, is this the Vizzini of football?
  • Psiloc 11 Jul 2018 22:45:26 4,649 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:

• LegendaryApe 11 Jul 2018 22:45:35 1,734 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    p_star wrote:
    @captbirdseye Hey enough with the personal insults! Not Scottish. Part Serbian.
    Do you like Serbian street food?
  • AboutHalfaStevas 11 Jul 2018 22:46:31 756 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    p_star wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    Psiloc wrote:

FTFY
    ^this
    The fact you two think I'm serious with that post... Kinda proves my point.

The one I wasn't even making.

Well played.
  • robc84 11 Jul 2018 22:47:28 12,709 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think if you look back through this thread there hasn't really been any arrogance or superiority. We know the limitations of the team but have enjoyed the run and dared to believe that we may make it all the way. Isn't that what supporting football is all about?

I think we've been gracious in defeat and accepted that Croatia were the better side.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jul 2018 22:48:37 23,369 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:

We take one game at a time and wouldn't go on about winning an entire tournament till we were actually in the final.
    Not complicated.
  • captbirdseye 11 Jul 2018 22:48:58 8,806 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There was always going to be miserable tits flooding in when they lost.
  • LeD 11 Jul 2018 22:49:38 6,983 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Regarding tonight...

In my book any team making it to the semis and then edging past their opponent is worthy of the cup, regardless of who they had in front of them en route to the final.
    It really comes down to minute details in the end. Probably shouldn't have subbed Sterling so early and maybe some fans will stop slagging him off in the future.

England just lacked some experience and self-belief when things didn't go their way. Other than that they did really well and I'm sure there is more to come from them if media and pundits don't fuck them up, or their coach.
  • quadfather 11 Jul 2018 22:50:05 32,006 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Unlucky England, a great tournament but beaten by the better team on the night.

There’s a young squad there who will be approaching their prime around the time of the next World Cup, also a young manager who will continue to learn and improve over the next few years.

Hopefully England will win the 3rd place play-off and Croatia will win the final!
    I think this says it all in my eyes
  • JamboWayOh 11 Jul 2018 22:50:22 8,497 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    I think if you look back through this thread there hasn't really been any arrogance or superiority. We know the limitations of the team but have enjoyed the run and dared to believe that we may make it all the way. Isn't that what supporting football is all about?

I think we've been gracious in defeat and accepted that Croatia were the better side.
    No you're supposed to be a joyless cunt and not be like all the fans at every world cup who believe their country will win it because that's just the height of arrogance, because in a competition you should never think you have a chance of winning. To quote Homer Simpson:

"Never try."
  • p_star 11 Jul 2018 22:51:19 36 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @JamboWayOh That would be you if you thought the English team could win the WC. Ah Viz..I miss his lunacy. My favourite argument of his was when he was adamant that the goalkeepers in PES were being realistic and "fixing the netting" instead of their AI failing them and having them walk into the back of their own goal :D

Nice straw man by the way. I never said teams should "not try". Most teams have an expectation as to how far they can go and try to win each match they play. That's different from believing that they can win all of their matches and take the cup home.

Edited by p_star at 22:53:09 11-07-2018
  • JamboWayOh 11 Jul 2018 22:52:33 8,497 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Psiloc wrote:

We take one game at a time and wouldn't go on about winning an entire tournament till we were actually in the final.
    Not complicated.
    You take one game at a time because you go home on the first day .
  • retro74 11 Jul 2018 22:53:12 2,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @robc84 it’s not been like that on Twitter though. I can understand why the rest of the home nations dislike England when you read some of the BS on there

99% of people on this thread are spot on, open it up to all of England though and by the law of averages you’re going to be neck deep in cunts
  • Psiloc 11 Jul 2018 22:53:16 4,649 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Psiloc wrote:

Not complicated.
    "We'll take it one game at a tiiiiime and do our beeeest"

Scottish football songs must be fucking shit
  • mangojoe 11 Jul 2018 22:53:51 1,875 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    People now slagging off the team you're idiots

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.