Following Watch Dogs Legion Page 7

• SolidSCB 31 Oct 2020 14:00:25 13,968 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thing is, from what you see in most other overseas media this seems like it's genuinely what they think most British people sound like day-to-day. So it's not surprising to see it's kinda slipping by unnoticed.

The Jamaican accent in particular is disgraceful.
  • SennaCujo 31 Oct 2020 14:08:37 372 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Stating you are offended, is one thing. But you are not even doing that. Stop being a snowflake man. Itís a game.
  • johnnyrocketfingers 31 Oct 2020 15:15:17 343 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    johnnyrocketfingers wrote:
    Well it's worth checking the voice credits to find out if they are genuine voices and not white people putting on accents.
    Hows that going to help if it's a black person?
    If it's a black person of said origin or descended then its understandable the accent they give.

Like Dev Patel doing his Indian accent for Slumdog Millionaire. Ethnically Indian boy sounding like he's from India.

In AC they had a Greek-Canadian actress do Kassandra for example. That's less problematic than an anglo-saxon canadian putting on a Greek accent.
  • Rogueywon 31 Oct 2020 15:21:07 10,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dazimus wrote:
    How accurate is it? As a northerner, I donít know London well at all and I imagine itíd be fun exploring but if itís only really the major landmarks and most roads are fake then thatís disappointing. Obviously I donít expect a 1:1 model but is it pretty good?
    It's a reasonably good recreation of some of the touristy bits of central London and a few bits around them. Got to say, from the publicity, I was expecting it to cover a bigger area. Like many games with a London setting, it clearly wants to pretend that nothing exists more than a couple of hundred meters south of the river. And its depiction of Londoners is pretty toe-curling in places.

Basically, as a Northerner, think of it as though they'd released Watch_Whippets, with a decent recreation of Skipton, Keighley and Ilkley and a huge range of cosmetic flat caps to collect.
  • monkman76 31 Oct 2020 15:38:53 17,299 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Well it's worth checking the voice credits to find out if they are genuine voices and not white people putting on accents.
    Hows that going to help if it's a black person?
    If it's a black person of said origin or descended then its understandable the accent they give.

Like Dev Patel doing his Indian accent for Slumdog Millionaire. Ethnically Indian boy sounding like he's from India.

In AC they had a Greek-Canadian actress do Kassandra for example. That's less problematic than an anglo-saxon canadian putting on a Greek accent.
    Yeah but how will you distinguish a white person's name from a black person's?
  • SolidSCB 31 Oct 2020 15:46:32 13,968 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You don't need to see a cast sheet or do a background check to know that some of the efforts at ethnic characters aren't of the same background. It's really bad.
  • MMMarmite 31 Oct 2020 16:00:42 1,634 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @SolidSCB take a look on IMDB the voice cast is quite diverse.

I was a bit perplexed with the Indian accent on my main character but I donít think itís that the accent is terrible, itís the tone and dialogue that makes it sound ropey as hell. In the same sentence it goes from being semi-serious to shouty youthful bants.
  • SolidSCB 31 Oct 2020 16:10:45 13,968 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not suggesting for a second we have a cast of strictly white Canadians doing the voice work.

But no way are some of these guys I'm recruiting being voiced by people representative of their accents. It's like listening to Liam Neeson attempt to Yank up.
  • Frogofdoom 31 Oct 2020 16:43:09 17,099 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Isnt it the voice modulation that they use that makes some of the voices sound really odd? Haven't played enough either way to have my own opinion but saw something about it in one of the reviews.
  • SolidSCB 31 Oct 2020 18:04:40 13,968 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Their cities are genuinely amazing. London is one of the best they've ever done. I just wish they'd figure out something better to do in them. This game literally boils down to 'unlock red thing to get to yellow objective, escape area'. It's such a weird devolution of the core mechanics from the original.
  • johnnyrocketfingers 1 Nov 2020 12:50:45 343 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:

Don't distinguish from the name do you.... Find out the voices, look them up,research where they're from, most bios give ethnicity if relevant. Basically that ropey Indian accent is not problematic if its an Indian doing it. It is of it was the white guy of apu fame.
  • Scimarad 1 Nov 2020 13:32:48 9,892 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I could definitely do with more activities to do; You can only get horribly drunk and fail at darts so many times.
  • johnnyrocketfingers 1 Nov 2020 13:45:02 343 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I enjoyed darts and yes in games like these I really think they should pack as many activities as they can.

A bit sad I couldn't get inside most stores but then there was an enjoyable efficiency about immediately accessing the clothing wardrobes there and then.

I really wanted more over a overwatch from authorities to trigger drones and security. For example if I'm speeding through a check point or driving in a manner that breaks the the law; it's the exact kind of thing drones will be on our asses for; mobile traffic cameras.
  • SolidSCB 1 Nov 2020 13:48:34 13,968 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've found very little reason to actually change characters as the missions are so by the numbers.

Got some intel on a drone designer I had to track down. "Watch out, he's probably got some defences set up". Excellent! I can finally put the drone expert I recruited to good use! He's surely going to have all manner of drones buzzing about and I can get the jump on him with my own professional.

Nah mate, hack the red box to get to the yellow macguffin, then escape the authorities. Not a drone in
    sight. Brilliant.

Edited by SolidSCB at 13:49:17 01-11-2020
  • Humperfunk 1 Nov 2020 13:50:25 8,402 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apologies if this has been posted but https://screenrant.com/watch-dogs-legion-recruit-character-pedophile-pediatrician-outrage/amp/

Hahaha fucking hell!
  • KRadiation 1 Nov 2020 13:54:14 1,664 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I've only had 2 team members die and most of that was because the game sometimes controls like arse. Pressing to get into a vehicle and just watching them standing still.

I'd still be using my starting guy if he wasn't utterly generic for skills. My 2nd unlock was a woman that has a drone support and ive not changed since other than for a construction worker mission where I thought the game was being clever... and then I realised the disguise was useless.
    unfortunately my female drone character has the worst voice ever. Its sounds like its one of the fake voice to text characters.

It probably needed a bit more sandbox like the nemesis system where the game surprises me and forces me to keep changing.
  • johnnyrocketfingers 1 Nov 2020 17:29:27 343 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've made great use of switching characters. It's a real fun time infiltrating areas in uniform and not having some random lawyer cosplaying as Sam Fisher. I need to get in to an Albion centre? My Albion worker agent can stroll in and do that job for me.
  • SolidSCB 1 Nov 2020 17:41:48 13,968 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the Albion suit would probably have worked in about 90% of levels I've done so far.

Feels half finished. There's this great depth of character types and one type of level to use them in. I'm 16 hours in now and aside from one or two drone/spider sections I've played the exact same level over and over in different places.

Edited by SolidSCB at 17:42:09 01-11-2020
  • DFawkes 1 Nov 2020 18:43:25 32,690 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So far, I'm finding it good but it's not quite clicking as I had hoped. Everything works okay, most of the stuff I wanted is still there and I like the recruitment system. There's just something missing for me and I'm not sure what it is. It's enjoyable enough so I will stick with it but it doesn't have that spark of joy I got from 2.

That said I love my current character and will be devastated when my incompetence gets her killed :p
  • johnnyrocketfingers 1 Nov 2020 20:28:06 343 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's just the joy of being in the city and feeling at home. Sure the British Library has a bit of a different court yard and it's a shame so much is boarded up. I really would have liked more interiors.

Oh it needs to be said RTX great, put it on ultra no worries.
  • dfunked09 1 Nov 2020 20:37:29 1,028 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    The appeal of London sightseeing is definitely tipping me towards just ordering this. Saw a video of someone walking around Camden and now I'm curious to see if the place I used to work is there, or if it's outside of their condensed London.
  • MrWonderstuff 1 Nov 2020 21:51:32 3,428 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @dfunked09 well the office overlooking the Camden Lock is there and I worked there.
  • Rogueywon 1 Nov 2020 21:55:21 10,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just got the HDR actually working on PC (yes, PC HDR is as temperamental as ever) and it absolutely pops. Think that might de-throne Borderlands 3 as the best looking PC HDR game I've seen.
  • MrWonderstuff 1 Nov 2020 22:25:26 3,428 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I assume I'm using HDR as it's ticked as an option in Windows and the game. Is there something else I should do?

Edited by MrWonderstuff at 22:25:35 01-11-2020
  • Rogueywon 1 Nov 2020 23:25:47 10,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @MrWonderstuff As it's Windows HDR, you need to slaughter a chicken and rub its entrails over your screen.

For me, I had to have HDR switched on at the desktop and in-game, but it would only work in exclusive fullscreen, not borderless.
  • Humperfunk 1 Nov 2020 23:56:36 8,402 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll be interested to see the areas when I get round to this. I've lived in a few places in London over the last 15 years (moved out last weekend), delighted to see Wapping is in the game, my first flat is there.

Also spent most of my career in the Square Mile so will be good to see what buildings are there that I have worked in, I'm assuming Heron Tower will be for example.
  • Nanocrystal 2 Nov 2020 00:42:08 2,268 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:

Don't distinguish from the name do you.... Find out the voices, look them up,research where they're from, most bios give ethnicity if relevant. Basically that ropey Indian accent is not problematic if its an Indian doing it. It is of it was the white guy of apu fame.
    Shitty voice acting is "problematic" no matter who's doing it, surely?
  • johnnyrocketfingers 2 Nov 2020 10:01:45 343 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Okay but is it judgement of shitty in a general performance way or "this accent feels weird" even though it is a genuine accent from a legitimate speaker? And can I trust a non-native to those accents parsing it from performance.

So sadly it's hard to determine which actor goes to which voice but I can safely assume someone like Bhavini Sheth( did more than just look at the name, she's British Indian and starred in Bollywood films) provided voices for South Asian characters in the game, plus maybe a few more given devs also used voice modulation to disperse an even wider set of voices per actor. I'm confident they didn't make her do Jamaican. I am of course researching right now who was most likely to have done it.

Edited by johnnyrocketfingers at 10:07:01 02-11-2020
  • KRadiation 2 Nov 2020 12:25:59 1,664 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm almost at the end now...

My biggest annoyance with the game is how little they scratched the surface with it.

For example, this recruit anyone system. Why should I bother beyond an initial 2 or 3. Its not like I need the police or ambulance characters with permanent death on.

Am I going to gain XP and unlock more abilities for them? Nope.
    Can I send them off to do side missions and risk them dying or being captured? Nope.
    Can they be called to assist me on missions?

I'll regularly bump into a "brother of operative" or worse, ones that say "sister was killed by one of my team". But there's no point behind it

Surely victims of my actions should call in the police or attack me - creating those surprise assaults that middle earth had with the nemesis system.

If I'm killing people in front of the brother of one of my team, maybe thats not what they want their family involved in and now the brother quits.
    Or maybe the brother like that and wants in and wants to volunteer for missions but he's shit.. so if I say no. That has a knock on effect. If I say yes and he dies that also has an effect.

There just isn't anything here interesting enough. Its a very paint by numbers story with A LOT of repetative missions in the SAME small handful of interiors over and over. And a shit soundtrack to top it off with radio stations that may as well not have bothered with. Nothing here is memorable.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.