Following Watch Dogs Legion Page 8

• SolidSCB 2 Nov 2020 12:33:25 13,968 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Feels really, really rushed. It's a grandiose mechanic that has absolutely no support from the game it's actually in. I've used a generic hacker with a few basic abilities pretty much since the start and had no reason to change other than when it's enforced.

The fact that online isn't even ready until December tells me development hasn't gone particularly well. It almost feels like they lost the source code to the originals and had to start over from scratch. It all seems sort of the same until you actually play it, then it feels like a strange, stripped back knock off.
  • cambison 2 Nov 2020 14:09:41 87 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @SolidSCB completely agree. Even with the play as anyone mechanic it still feels less fleshed out then the previous WD games. No phone UI, no varied side missions, no option to rest to trigger day/night cycle. You can add all the ray tracing you want but the reality is Legion is a step backwards.

Edited by cambison at 14:17:02 02-11-2020
  • DUFFMAN5 2 Nov 2020 16:05:24 26,339 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Such a shame reading the above posts. It would seem I made the right decision to get a refund.
    How could they fook it up so much.
    First was great (once people got over the "downgrade") and second seemed to improve almost everything, while I except the story and characters were not to everyone's taste.

Simple things like doing away with the phone interface for example, that fitted perfectly.
  • HelloNo 2 Nov 2020 16:13:03 2,237 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    See, I'm still enjoying it, despite the flaws.

Its just fun to play honestly?

That said, its just crashed two times in the last hour. Bit of a mystery since its been stable until now.
  • Your-Mother 2 Nov 2020 17:59:36 5,442 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm kind of enjoying it, but it still doesn't really feel like a sequel. I'm treating it mostly as a metric for how the transition to next gen will go, given most third party games will be cross-gen for a while. Guess I'll see how the PS5 version holds up on the 12th.
  • SolidSCB 2 Nov 2020 18:41:29 13,968 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've racked up 18 hours now, so it's hardly an unplayable mess, but yeah. If you'd have put all 3 games in front of me and I knew nothing about them beforehand, I'd probably have said this was the first game in the series rather than the latest.

and yeah, it's a nice little current gen/next gen test subject, so it's got that going for it too.
  • Blackmarsh63 2 Nov 2020 18:49:23 3,900 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've played a few hours on PC. It does look rather pretty with the RT but its nothing special. I'm playing on Uplay+ so I don't feel robbed.
  • Kernowgaz 2 Nov 2020 23:07:25 124 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone had issues with their motorbike just blowing up for no reason at all ?

Just lost my first operative and I donít know why, just riding down the middle of the road with nothing near me or in front and the bike exploded. I captured it on my Xbox and canít see why it happened
  • dfunked09 3 Nov 2020 00:39:45 1,028 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Ended up caving in and grabbing a uplay+ sub for a month, which I now realise is a bit silly because I'll feel like I should be playing AC Valhalla next week too, then have a PS5 turning up the week after when I'll probably be nowhere near finishing either game.

It's alright so far... Mainly just pootling around the place and doing some digital tourism. Some places are pretty spot on, but then you try something random like following the canal from Camden to London zoo and the seams really start to show.

Haven't really tried recruitment apart from one construction worker. My initial character (Laura, a barmaid IIRC) had such an appalling voice that I just switched to one of the bonus characters (uplay+ or season pass bonus) as soon as I could and released her.
  • KRadiation 3 Nov 2020 08:28:21 1,664 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Anyone had issues with their motorbike just blowing up for no reason at all ?

Just lost my first operative and I donít know why, just riding down the middle of the road with nothing near me or in front and the bike exploded. I captured it on my Xbox and canít see why it happened
    Ive had a bike crash into thin air on that construction bridge towards the bottom of the map Its like the seam connecting 2 sections was slightly glitchy. But never spontaneous combustion level.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Nov 2020 10:28:28 21,665 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-03-watch-dogs-legion-review-a-bleak-and-buggy-retread-of-ubisofts-formula

EG are...not fans.
  • Phattso 3 Nov 2020 11:16:02 26,294 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I do wonder if being more familiar with the setting makes one a bit harsher. People who don't know how utterly wanky the voices are, and don't see the dramatic decline of their own country writ large, seem to be enjoying it a whole lot more than the UK press. :)

A takeaway definitely seems to be that if you role-play a bit more, you'll enjoy it a bit more. Sticking it on default difficulty and just spamming through the game with the same skills over and over sounds like a bad way to play.

Edited by Phattso at 11:17:01 03-11-2020
  • HelloNo 3 Nov 2020 11:49:19 2,237 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I live out in the sticks of East Anglia so its all a bit removed, but even I can tell the accents are a bit off. Mentally I've put it in the Dragon's Dogma section where the dialogue/voices are goofy enough that its funny rather than irritating.

That said the background dialogue from NPCs is more convincing - walking past people on their phones or in conversation with each other and they almost sound real.
  • Albert-steptoe 3 Nov 2020 12:05:49 1 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Well I for one am loving it. EGs review was rubbish as usual
  • Rogueywon 3 Nov 2020 12:25:54 10,178 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm not a big fan of Legion, but the EG reviewer game every impression of having picked up the game with the intention of hating it.
  • SolidSCB 3 Nov 2020 12:27:14 13,968 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I used the recommendations from I think IGN? To begin with. Hard with permadeath. Makes no difference, you don't have to play clever as they all play out the exact same way. I've since knocked it down to normal just to get through it.

Problem isn't in the settings, it's the fundamentals of the game. I hired a getaway driver early on in the game, that's going to come in handy I thought. Haven't had to use her once as the game suffers from what you can only call extreme MGSV-itis, in that the outposts you have to infiltrate have no real link to the world outside them.

I robbed the Bank of fucking England last night, got caught up in a mass shootout inside and when it was time to run, I was safe and the mission was complete as soon as I crossed the road outside its walls. No big chase through the streets of London. Fuck, the guys I fought inside didn't even bother to leave their little red territory to take the fight onto the streets FFS! It's just so unfinished. You could drive a bus through the seams in the game.
  • SennaCujo 3 Nov 2020 12:38:16 372 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yep enjoying it here too.
    I think the EG reviewer is having a hard time living in London with the Lockdown looming. It sort of comes across as a review of his worries about this, rather than the actual game itself.
  • KRadiation 3 Nov 2020 12:38:16 1,664 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have to imagine part of the plan for recruiting everyone was to build your trust back up by completing jobs and bringing people into the fold.

It starts with you painted as the bad guys. I know its slight spoiler ish but this is the opening cut scene/ mission so not much of one. But you're framed as terrorists, the people behind the deaths of hundreds (?)
    and then as far as I can remember never mentions it again and no one treats you any differently.
  • consoledelight 7 Nov 2020 16:38:28 239 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I find a hidden letter t by scanning at the southbank attium whilst trying to get to the poster there. You can only view by scanning...does anyone know what this for..

Looks like

\[T]/

Actually there is a firepit with a broom i it...i wonder of a dark souls reference

Edited by consoledelight at 16:39:15 07-11-2020

Edited by consoledelight at 16:40:35 07-11-2020
  • Rogueywon 8 Nov 2020 11:44:11 10,178 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Played some more of this yesterday after finishing Wasteland 3 and have decided I don't like it. The gameplay loop gets very old very fast and the driving is awful. In fact, driving is virtually impossible on mouse+keyboard, so I keep having to switch control method as I get into and out of vehicles.

Plus there's something just a bit off at the moment about the plot and setting. Paranoid conspiracy stuff can make a fine setting for a game - the original Deus Ex remains an all-time classic. But some of this is going places that I'm not sure are wise in 2020. It's not quite going into 5G/antivax places, but it's adjacent to them at times.

Oh, and the voice work is fucking terrible. Have they used amateurs for a lot of the voices?
  • DFawkes 8 Nov 2020 14:28:44 32,690 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I lost my first team member today. My fault, couldn't figure out how to access an item so tried driving at it. Turns out it was beside an explosive canister. Goodbye Omairi, you did some good work!

After that I went back to that place with my hitman and John Wick'd everyone instead of stealth hacking :p
  • KRadiation 8 Nov 2020 15:34:18 1,664 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And Bagley just makes some half arsed yeah they're dead now comment after.

Edited by KRadiation at 15:34:49 08-11-2020
  • Your-Mother 8 Nov 2020 15:46:50 5,442 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I played a bit of WD2 yesterday, and even in the opening tutorial missions it was so dramatically better thought out than WDL that Iím staggered how it all went so very wrong.

The most apt comparison I can currently think of is that itís like Metal Gear 5 and Metal Gear Survive.
  • SolidSCB 8 Nov 2020 16:57:20 13,968 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I mentioned the other day it feels like they lost the source code and had to start from scratch in a hurry, and that's really the best description I could give of it. The surface layer is Watch Dogs, but as soon as it's in motion it feels like a cobbled together Chinese knock off for mobile devices or something.

Everything about it doesn't quite add up. It's like you're playing a massive game of deja vu. Everything feels sort of similar, but it also isn't.
  • DFawkes 8 Nov 2020 17:21:01 32,690 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It feels like a spin-off by another developer. I'm enjoying it now I've got a few more powers and I've started making use of other recruits, but the Spiderbot is really the most efficient and safe way of dealing with every single situation I've ran into so far.
  • Phattso 8 Nov 2020 17:22:54 26,294 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Really, folks, I can't thank you enough for dropping my expectations so low here. I can't fail but be "meh" about the game on Tuesday, which is better than the "WTAF?!" it seems to garner otherwise.
  • ryanclayton 8 Nov 2020 17:28:12 78 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think Iíve almost finished the main story, I havenít hated it, but I have zero interest in doing much else but the main story, Iíve got 2 decent recruits who Iím just doing everything with. I had a spy earlier but he got blown up so just tag teaming between a builder and some rock hard bird with a shotgun. The game feels very 7/10 and I echo peopleís thoughts on the driving. Abysmal.
  • Rogueywon 8 Nov 2020 18:31:01 10,178 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The tech's not bad - I suspect that's where a lot of the attention's gone. It's a handsome looking game with a lot on screen at the same time. The HDR implementation really pops and the RTX features on PC are very pretty indeed.

Just a pity the gameplay and story aren't there to match the visuals.
  • dfunked09 8 Nov 2020 18:33:47 1,028 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Yeah, it's something I'll definitely be firing up to benchmark new kit. The city looks great and is obviously a big appeal if you're at all familiar with London.

The actual game behind it all though?... Nah, not for me.
  • clockworkzombie 12 Nov 2020 22:29:19 428 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I am enjoying this, the platforming puzzle bits with robot spiders are such good fun, just did a similar thing with the Micro drone, flying across London on a cargo drone is good too.

Autopilot is your friend, and the hand to hand combat reminded me of Saintsí Row 2, if only I had a septic truck.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.