Following Watch Dogs Legion Page 3

• monkman76 28 Oct 2020 10:25:24 17,299 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Actually really looking forward to firing this up at midnight out of nowhere. I'm glad I went back to WD1 this week to mop up the Platinum as it's got me right in the mood.

Probably helps that I've mostly skipped open world games in recent years, especially Ubisoft ones, so I'm not as burnt out on the concept as I could have been.
    I'm the other person who really liked WD1 (and it's my *only* platinum in a full price game), and fell off WD2 pretty quickly, so I'm up for the apparently more serious tone of this one.

Wonder if it'll have the asynchronous MP this time around. Loved that in the first one.
  • SolidSCB 28 Oct 2020 10:51:49 13,968 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @monkman76

Yeah I'm with you there. I was actually shocked this week to see WD1 was still actually populated reasonably well! Only had 10 or so hours of stuff to do but I was frequently being hacked and invited to races that were full lobbies etc.

With the 'play as anyone' stuff in this one, there's a lot of potential for the MP side of things I hope they tap into. Fingers crossed.
  • beastmaster 28 Oct 2020 11:11:54 21,684 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Game breaking bug on One X

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-28-watch-dogs-legions-has-a-game-breaking-bug-on-xbox-one-x
  • dfunked09 28 Oct 2020 12:02:49 1,028 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I'm kind of tempted to pick it up now actually, knowing that I won't play Valhalla this year... Curious to see if it's as crap on geforce now as WD2 was though, because that was absolutely painful to play.
  • Syrette 28 Oct 2020 12:12:56 50,935 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Seeing the word repetition used a lot in reviews of this, which alone is significantly off-putting. Apparently it's also, yet again, too easy to use the same couple of gadgets all the time despite having a wealth of other options

Reviews aren't terrible but they're not stellar either.
  • beastmaster 28 Oct 2020 12:17:04 21,684 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Never played a Watch Dogs game so I'll hopefully enjoy it. After it's patched. Don't want to chance it on the series X but we shall see.
  • JamboWayOh 28 Oct 2020 12:22:56 21,665 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Seeing the word repetition used a lot in reviews of this, which alone is significantly off-putting. Apparently it's also, yet again, too easy to use the same couple of gadgets all the time despite having a wealth of other options

Reviews aren't terrible but they're not stellar either.
    Essentially it reads like another ubi game in terms of mission design I suppose if you like that kind of thing, which I do, but not at full price. Sale for me.
  • TheyreAllDeadDave 28 Oct 2020 12:28:09 79 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Enjoying this so far. I've got my nephews round but we're just mucking about in it ATM. Will have a 'serious' play tonight. Looks good and runs well on PS4 Pro.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 28 Oct 2020 12:38:25 33,394 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Think I'll take a punt on this. The reverse nemesis system and the emergent gameplay it seems to trigger sounds right up my alley.

If they can fix it so that it won't break my xbox that would be even better.
  • Globalmeltdown 28 Oct 2020 12:53:40 911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played an hour, very good first impressions on XBox One X. Anyone pre ordered on digital you can play this now if you change location to New Zealand.

Just found out about the overheating problem so will stop playing until the hot fix released.

Edited by Globalmeltdown at 13:12:44 28-10-2020
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 28 Oct 2020 13:09:42 488 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    https://youtu.be/y3dklTrUt04

Think I'll wait.
  • leekuti 28 Oct 2020 13:55:07 35 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Globalmeltdown wrote:
    Played an hour, very good first impressions on XBox One X. Anyone pre ordered on digital you can play this now if you change location to New Zealand.

How can I change to new Zealand?

Edited by leekuti at 13:55:52 28-10-2020
  • Globalmeltdown 28 Oct 2020 14:07:53 911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @leekuti go into settings, press language and location, select New Zealand for location then restart your console.
  • Globalmeltdown 28 Oct 2020 14:12:03 911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Yorkshire_Bourne “chocolate milk straight from the cow“ and “over developed sex drive” for the granny made me laugh 😊
  • leekuti 28 Oct 2020 14:26:20 35 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Globalmeltdown wrote:
    @leekuti go into settings, press language and location, select New Zealand for location then restart your console.
    So I tried Language, there is no location in this menu

Then I tried Time and Date > Time zone = Wellington (NZ) and restarted but no joy

I'll wait patiently for the hours to run down :)
  • Tricky 28 Oct 2020 14:38:22 5,067 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Polygon with a seemingly useful (for once) recommendation:

Play on hard with permadeath rules enabled. It ups the stakes (duh) and actually makes you care more about the characters.
  • ThrowingTuba 28 Oct 2020 16:37:27 213 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just bought this on a bit of a whim, the main appeal being able to hoon it round London streets I used to cycle on. Have no idea about the recruit mechanics but it does sound interesting from the top line.
  • ThrowingTuba 28 Oct 2020 16:37:28 213 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just bought this on a bit of a whim, the main appeal being able to hoon it round London streets I used to cycle on. Have no idea about the recruit mechanics but it does sound interesting from the top line.
  • Phattso 28 Oct 2020 16:40:30 26,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Tricky cheers for linking that - not a place I frequent, but that actually tipped me over the edge into ordering the game. Permadeath and hard difficulty - given that the ACG dude spent a lot of his review bemoaning how trivial the combat encounters were - seems the way to go. So yeah - ta!
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 28 Oct 2020 16:48:38 488 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Globalmeltdown I did wonder WTF was going on at the beginning of the review with that voice 😂.
  • Globalmeltdown 28 Oct 2020 19:15:17 911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Yorkshire_Bourne I think the voice was simulated or something, didn’t sound right but it was funny😊
  • beastmaster 28 Oct 2020 23:38:53 21,684 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This arrived from ShopTo this morning. Just opened it. Will get this onto the SSD ready for Series X.
  • SolidSCB 29 Oct 2020 01:13:54 13,968 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had an hour since it unlocked. Severely misjudged the tone, it's complete self parody at this point. The accents remind me of Fable, just totally over the top.

The driving is also irritating the life out of me. The camera constantly snap auto-centres when you turn corners. I have no idea why they've done that, it's horrendous.

Still, plenty of hacking fun to be had so far, and scanning through the public to find candidates to join me is a nice novelty. Hopefully it warms up a bit within a few hours of play when I get stuck in tomorrow.
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Oct 2020 05:45:14 26,339 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Played the first mission. (before titles) it is very WD, which is pretty much what I am after. It didn't wow me, but as I say it was fine.

I think I am looking forward to the mp in Dec as much as the sp. I enjoyed both previous games multiplayer modes. Still jump on them now and again.
  • FoxMoody 29 Oct 2020 08:41:32 141 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Looks fun and all but I don't see it occupying me for a long period of time.
  • MrWonderstuff 29 Oct 2020 08:51:11 3,428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    There's me banging on about "Day 1" and now with reported performance issues I think it may be "Day 2". Day 2 being when they release a hotfix.

Below are patch notes (already deployed for consoles I believe):

Patch Notes: 

- Global performance improvements on PS4 for smoother gameplay/driving
    - Made several improvements to PC performance
    - Optimized performance to improve framerates for RTX GPUs
    - Fixed an issue that caused framerate drops to occur when characters walk through checkpoints
    - Improved the framerate performance when driving
    - Fixed a freeze when switching input controllers on PC
    - Fixed sporadic crashes on PS4
    - Fixed sporadic crashes on Xbox One/S
    - Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when launched on a console set to TURKISH, INDONESIAN, GREEK, ROMANIAN, HUNGARIAN, VIETNAMESE or THAI languages
    - Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash on Xbox One X when selecting a certain option in the Into the Void mission
    - Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when browsing through the Premium Shop tabs on Xbox One
  • Globalmeltdown 29 Oct 2020 10:36:30 911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Started my recruitment of over 70s for my team, got three so far, they can hardly run but it’s fun watching them beat the crap out of Albion Baddies 😊. London looks fantastic too.
  • leekuti 29 Oct 2020 13:39:37 35 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    It's cool
  • imamazed 29 Oct 2020 14:19:14 6,518 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Do go on, user leekuti
  • BOFH_UK 29 Oct 2020 14:38:02 255 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Played the first mission. (before titles) it is very WD, which is pretty much what I am after. It didn't wow me, but as I say it was fine.

I think I am looking forward to the mp in Dec as much as the sp. I enjoyed both previous games multiplayer modes. Still jump on them now and again.
    Yep, I'd agree with that regarding the MP. The 'invasion' mechanic had a genuinely different feel and vibe to proceedings. Been a while since I played but whichever mode was basically a giant game of hide and seek in shrinking areas might just have a couple of my favourite MP experiences to its name.

To be honest I hope (and I know WD3 ain't the game for this) that at some point they take that feeling a lot further. As weird as it sounds for an Ubi open world game I kinda feel like there should be a lot *more* sidequests and the like. Especially with a responsive world now being possible it'd be cool to go completely off script and almost create your own side quests. Like... uh... say you want cash for something. Sure you can do the usual activities or you can pick a likely store / event / whatever and heist the thing based on who works there, what activities are going on, how subtle you want to be etc. Almost like mixing WD with Hitman I suppose. Who knows maybe if we get a WD4 which baselines to Series S/X and PS5 there'll be enough power to expand out the current system to something along those lines.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.