GOTY 2020 Page 6

Next Last
  • cov 1 Jan 2021 01:52:55 2,419 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Cyberpunk or ghosts of my tush, cyberpunk edges it so far but not finished it yet
  • oldskooldeano 1 Jan 2021 01:55:24 3,285 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Cyberpunk 2077. Bugs and all. A world I find hard to leave and where I can realise my fantasies. A proper role playing game.

Everything else I loved playing this year like Slay the Spire and Elite Dangerous didnít come out in 2020.
  • uiruki 1 Jan 2021 02:16:00 5,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    For me it's 13 Sentinels, HL Alyx and Ryu ga Gotoku 7. If you pushed me for one I'd probably say RGG since the version of 13 Sentinels I played came out in 2019.

I started playing art of rally on the 31st and if I'd gotten that earlier that might have actually had a chance to slip in as I'm really enjoying it so far.

Looking back at my list of stuff I completed I noted that I'd probably feel worse about FF7 remake over time and I do - that's the disappointment of the year with Granblue Versus close behind. Actual worst experience of the year was Pirate Warriors 4 and its frankly beastly 'translation'.

edit: I suspect Labyrinth of Galleria might have sneaked in as well but it has some serious tone issues which mar an otherwise excellent story and frankly I'm still probably 30 hours from finishing it. It sounds an awful lot like there's a dungeon with over 2,000 floors in it before I can get to the true ending and I don't have the normal ending yet!

Edited by uiruki at 02:18:33 01-01-2021
  • SnackPlissken 1 Jan 2021 11:41:05 2,607 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    1. Ghost of Tsushima
    2. Resident Evil 3 remake
    3. Animal Crossing

And honourable mention to WRC 9.

Edited by SnackPlissken at 11:41:31 01-01-2021
  • Gibroon 2 Jan 2021 11:35:43 2,397 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just got round to reading the readers top 50 and can't Adam and Eve it. They quoted me for the TLOU2 \0/

I feel almost famous.

Edit : it wasn't even me, some twat called Girboon, gutted. Haha

Edited by Gibroon at 11:56:29 02-01-2021
  • dfunked09 2 Jan 2021 11:48:56 1,451 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Congrats!

dr_faulk's quote seems a bit spoilery for a GotY list... I'm about halfway through it now judging by a chapter list just got to the hospital and wish I didn't know what's coming up (I read a major one on HUKD of all places near launch)
  • Gibroon 2 Jan 2021 12:01:01 2,397 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, I'm surprised about some of those quotes. So hard these days to keep away from spoilers.
  • Dombat 2 Jan 2021 12:31:20 1,877 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Annoyingly missed the vote for the 2020 GOTY but here are my top 5 anyway:

1. The Last of Us: Part II
    2. Valorant
    3. Astro's Playroom
    4. Ghost of Tsushima
    5. Demon's Souls

Honourable mentions to: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (great so far but not played enough of yet), Cyberpunk 2077 (very conflicted on and haven't played enough of but might end up being one of my favourites) and FF7 Remake (haven't completed and have mixed feelings on it).
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 2 Jan 2021 13:30:37 4,173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    As usual some of my choices were missing from the list and despite posting them early in the "have I missed anything" post they didn't get added (pretty sure this happens to me every year).

I will go for:

1. Wasteland 3
    2. Beautiful Desolation
    3. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
    4. Disaster Report 4
    5. Langrisser 1/2

Honourable mention to Call of the Sea but I didn't finish it until yesterday so it would have missed the list but I would put it at 4 though.

I didn't play a huge amount of 2020 games it seemed and not enough of Cyberpunk 2077 to faurly judge it. Wasteland 3 was really enjoyable (played early on too before a lot of patches) and grabbed me more than WL2 did (which is on the backlog). Lovely CE too, albeit massive.

Beautiful Desolation was my game missing off the list. Point and click isometric adventure/rpg set in post apocalyptic Africa by the devs of Stasis. Great to see a different scenario than the usual US or European setting and really pretty. A few clunky bits but the branching narrative worked quite well for a low budget indie production.

Yakuza:LAD is a fun new take on the series with a nice new location and leading man. Not quite finished it yet but enjoying it.

Disaster Report 4 has jank by the bucketloads and overmeaningless vhoices and is clearly an upres of the original cancelled 2011 PS3 version but I liked the setting and some of the scenarios are really well done.

Langrisser was a nice return to 2D Fire Emblen style with added troop system to mix things up a bit. Lots of new scenarios in L1 (the only one I have finished so far) and although a tluch easy I enjoyed it.
  • neems 2 Jan 2021 15:12:04 5,183 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx

Re: Beautiful Desolation, I haven't played it but I remember it coming out... I though EG covered it? I must be thinking of somewhere else.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Jan 2021 15:52:47 29,481 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think Persona 5 Royal is the only game I played properly from 2020, was awesome but took up half the bloody year!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 3 Jan 2021 11:18:51 4,173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    neems wrote:
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx

Re: Beautiful Desolation, I haven't played it but I remember it coming out... I though EG covered it? I must be thinking of somewhere else.
    They possibly mentioned it before the Kickstarter but I don't think they posted anything else about it around launch.
  • docrob 3 Jan 2021 12:38:26 1,720 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Canít remember what I played this year :| haha.

I think the game that as stuck with me most is Lonely Downhill Mountain. It nailed the feel of mountain biking (skids! Free hub! Birds! Breaking your face!) backed up with a compulsive game chasing fast times or just simply ambling down a massive canyons and ravines. Must check out the dlc at some point.
    Lonely Mountains Downhill was a great game. Simple idea but I really enjoyed it.

My GOTY would have to be Half Life:Alyx. Itís a fantastic experience and itís a shame not that many people will get to play it. Itís definitely a model for how games could be in the future.

Having said that, I think Cyberpunk is amazing. Finding myself thinking about the game when not playing, which is always a good sign (where this is concerned anyway!)
  • You-can-call-me-kal 3 Jan 2021 13:08:57 22,315 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I wouldnít be surprised if Alyx is on next gen console VR.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.