GOTY 2020 Page 4

• TechnoHippy 16 Nov 2020 07:35:47 18,602 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm struggling to think of my GOTY. There's been plenty of decent games, but not a single one that really shines. Based on hours played it would be Undermine, but the last boss proved too much for me.
  • Murbs 16 Nov 2020 07:53:39 25,020 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've played so few games from 2020 it's a tough call. I've played barely anything on PS4 other than borrowing a copy of TLOU2 and falling off it after a couple of hours.
    Most of my time has been on Switch. I wish I could find the love for Hades that so many have. The Long Dark is a contender, I've really enjoyed the time I've spent on it and will still keep playing and playing. Then there is Xenoblade but I only stuck in a dozen or so hours into. But my GOTY?

A Short Hike.

It's perfect.

Edited by Murbs at 07:57:17 16-11-2020
  • Pipedream 16 Nov 2020 07:59:39 608 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    richyroo wrote:
    Streets of Rage 4 easliy for me. For a game that takes 90 minutes to complete, I have spent about 210 hours playing so far.

The gameplay is just pure perfection. Couldnt of hoped for more in a sequel to the classic franchise.
    It's no doubt a great game but imo Fight n Rage takes the crown for scrolling beat em ups. It came out late last year so just misses 2020.
  • Britesparc 16 Nov 2020 08:11:20 2,247 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So I've skimmed through this thread and no one said Animal Crossing? That's probably my GOTY.

I do tend to come to a lot of games 6-18 months late, however.
  • DaM 16 Nov 2020 08:52:58 17,636 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    For me it's definitely Astro's Playroom. Followed by Sackboy then probably Demon's Souls or Miles Morales.
    Oooh didn't realise there was a new Astro game out! I've been replaying the first one recently, and have to say it's one of the best games I've ever played. It makes excellent use of the VR, it's got great level design, and perfect spacing/timing to maximise "just one more go". Great graphics, music you dance along to, it's approaching perfection for me :)
  • DaM 16 Nov 2020 08:54:11 17,636 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:

Me too, so I like these threads to pick up on what I've missed to add to my play list....but nothing has really grabbed me here. I'll do TLOU2 on the PS5.
  • Decks 16 Nov 2020 08:55:44 28,923 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's pre loaded on the PS5.

Oh and Ghost of Tsushima is probably my GOTY. Although TLOU2 was very good too.
  • MmmmmBaby 16 Nov 2020 09:10:15 7 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My GOTY is absolutely The Last of Us 2, the original is my favourite game of all time(it's like a hair above MGS3) and it was a brilliant follow up.
  • nickthegun 16 Nov 2020 09:10:50 85,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    So I've skimmed through this thread and no one said Animal Crossing? That's probably my GOTY.
    Weirdly, I would possibly agree even though I havent played it. Ive watched the girl put hours into it and it looks great, full of content, funny and it protected her sanity over lockdown. It looks like a genuinely brilliant game.

Of the ones Ive played, my favourite is probably Nioh 2 but since that, really, is quite a low effort level pack, I would probably go with Hades, same as everyone else.
  • Carlo 16 Nov 2020 09:32:17 21,605 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    https://uploadvr.com/half-life-alyx-vr-awards/

The 2020 VR Awards moved online last week as the annual ceremony celebrated the best in the VR industry. Unsurprisingly, Valveís Half-Life: Alyx took home one of the big prizes.
  • Murbs 16 Nov 2020 10:46:39 25,020 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:

I'd completely forgotten about it as I fell off it so quickly, much to my daughters' frustrations (they've both put in over a hundred hours each). My eldest has taken to playing it as me in places as I'm the primary resident.
  • Britesparc 16 Nov 2020 11:10:07 2,247 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Murbs it's funny to watch my eldest as she drifts away from it and comes back to it again and again. One thing she does which I find utterly baffling is create new accounts so she can set up new villagers and basically start the game from the beginning. I mean, why?! Why would you want to play through the first ten hours of the game again?! She is eight, mind.

Then you have my brother, twenty years her senior, who confessed to me that he never shuts Animal Crossing down because he can't be bothered waiting for it to load. His Switch has just become his Animal Crossing Machine.

I've been struggling to think of what else, including 2019 games I've come to late, might be my GOTY. Gears Tactics I really enjoyed; ditto Gears 5 and Fallen Order, although I did start both of those last year. One thing I've come to really late is Witcher III, which I bought in a sale. That's very good (obv) although it's another game I've parked till I'm allowed to play with my Series X.
  • Trowel 31 Dec 2020 10:50:48 24,214 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    So Hades takes Eurogamer's GOTY.

I'm in full agreement, though I have reached the point where my runs become very focused on special builds and it's sucking the fun out of it a little. Though having 5 face-melting rockets on Exagryph never gets old :)
  • Rogueywon 31 Dec 2020 10:55:23 11,093 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I gave Hades a go, but struggled to get into it. I think I just didn't find the core gameplay very enjoyable, to the extent I lost interest before really getting sucked into all of its systems.
  • dfunked09 31 Dec 2020 11:08:14 1,697 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Can't argue with that, it was the obvious outcome really.

After I finished it a few times the appeal started to wane and I couldn't be bothered finishing with all of the weapons, but the time I spent with it was absolutely fantastic.
    It sucked me in for so many "just one more run" goes, well after midnight when you know a run can take half an hour.
  • superdelphinus 31 Dec 2020 11:25:31 10,480 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Microsoft flight simulator is mine, not because Iíve played it much (since it came out of alpha at least), but because I think it is an astonishing technical masterpiece.
  • Murbs 31 Dec 2020 11:54:17 25,020 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Definitely feel like I missed something with Hades. Still play it here and there, but not in the way Iíve constantly returned to other roguelites/likes.

In other news, I went back to TLOU2, and extreme graphic violence aside, *really* enjoyed it. Probably preferred you know who to Ellie too.
  • Malek86 31 Dec 2020 12:05:28 11,714 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mine would be Lair of the Clockwork God, but not enough people have played it, so it never had a chance.

So I kinda agree with Hades overall, which was my second choice anyway.

Unfortunately the voting ended in the middle of the month. If it hadn't, I would have probably put World of Horror into the list as well. I bounced off fairly quickly at launch due to the constant crashes, but now it's been fixed and I really started getting into the game in the past week.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:07:01 31-12-2020
  • beastmaster 31 Dec 2020 12:28:00 21,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've only played 3 games this year.

That Terminator game
    Street of Rage 4
    Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Valhalla has pulled me right back into gaming again, so I'm going with that.
  • Dazimus 31 Dec 2020 12:28:35 1,560 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    1. Ghost Of Tsushima
    2. Hades
    3. Final Fantasy 7 Remake
    4. Miles Morales
    5. Yakuza: Like A Dragon
    6. The Last Of Us Part II
    7. Animal Crossing
    8. Astroís Playroom
    9. Murder By Numbers
    10. A Short Hike

Tsushima sneaked in last minute as I left it to play on PS5.

Edited by Dazimus at 12:29:07 31-12-2020
  • Globalmeltdown 31 Dec 2020 12:34:28 963 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Death stranding on PC my Game of the Year
  • DUFFMAN5 31 Dec 2020 12:37:13 26,520 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    As a die hard Xbox fan (read Gears is my life!) my goty is..

Gears of Tsushima. Sorry...
    Ghost of War, sorry...

Ghost of Tsushima.

Just brilliant.

Second place: Gears Tactics and Hivebusters 👌😊

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 12:38:44 31-12-2020
  • andytheadequate 31 Dec 2020 12:43:59 9,529 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've not played many games that were released this year, but the real stand out for me was Tony Hawks 1&2. I was amazed how well it had aged, and I tend to love games that focus on pure gameplay over open world immersion/ story etc. The other games I've enjoyed in 2020 have been similarly gameplay heavy games (Dirt Rally, Trials Rising, Dark Souls, Unity of Command 2), but none of these came out in 2020. I've enjoyed Halo MCC too, although I tend to ignore the story as it's a bit shit.

Saying that, and to completely contradict myself, I also loved Disco Elysium. It came out in 2019 on PC, but I think the Switch version was 2020 so might count. The sheer amount of choice in how to role play the character and the excellent writing made me actually interested in the story.
  • JamboWayOh 31 Dec 2020 13:29:52 23,052 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @andytheadequate

Disco Elysium isn't out on Switch yet, it's coming to console next year.
  • addybV3 31 Dec 2020 14:11:35 108 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Hades
    Streets of Rage 4
  • Syrette 31 Dec 2020 14:15:50 51,047 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Last of Us Part 2, even though I prefer the original.

For all its flaws I found myself deeply immersed in Cyberpunk, so that'd be up there too. I loved the characterisation in both that and Miles Morales.
  • spookyxelectric 31 Dec 2020 14:59:18 369 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'll give a top five

Final Fantasy VII Remake
    The Last of Us Part II
    Sakura Wars
    Cyberpunk 2077
    Xenoblade Definitive

But if I'm choosing one, it's FFVIIR.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 31 Dec 2020 14:59:54 22,912 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    It's pre loaded on the PS5.

Oh and Ghost of Tsushima is probably my GOTY. Although TLOU2 was very good too.
    Between these two for me. Leaning towards the latter, although I keep coming back to GoT post completion to mop bits up and in terms of longevity itís giving TLOu a kicking.
  • andytheadequate 31 Dec 2020 15:08:53 9,529 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    @andytheadequate

Disco Elysium isn't out on Switch yet, it's coming to console next year.
    Ah, scrap that then. It's still one of my "Best Games I've Played This Year" though (just after Bad Company 2) 😃

I've played far more games this year due to lockdown. I hadn't really played a big budget game released in the last 4 or 5 years before buying the XSX, the jump in quality from the stuff I was playing earlier in the year was pretty huge. Going from using geforce now to stream a game on medium settings in 720p with a bit of lag to a XSX running on a 4k TV was like jumping 2 generations overnight, and being able to play games at a stable 60fps frame rate rather than on my crappy laptop made even older games more fun.
  • monkman76 31 Dec 2020 15:10:49 18,095 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Demon's Souls or Flight Simulator for me I guess. Wish I'd played Ghost of Tsushima though, reckon that'd be up there.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.