Switching from PlayStation to xBox this generation Page 2

• LostInBKK 12 Nov 2020 14:28:56 26 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @bone-on If no console exclusives come to the xbox it's is the way to go. I think as time goes one we will start to see the more powerful hardware of the xsx start to come through.

Surely Halo Infinite will use xsx to the max after it's embarrassing delay
  • StixxUK 12 Nov 2020 14:45:37 8,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Both really seem to have advantages

PS5 - exclusives (including last-gen!), more next-gen-ness (and all Xbox "exclusives" will come to PC)

Xbox - Basically just Game Pass - but that's massive if you don't buy a lot of games, and has synergies with PC. Also technically stuff like auto-HDR and VRR seems to work better...?

It's a really hard decision, I was leaning heavily toward Xbox but the stuff I've seen so far actually PS5 sounds better in a lot of ways. To be honest I play so casually most of the time these days (buy so few big new games - only had GoW when it went down to 10, although admittedly got Bloodborne and TLoU 2 on release) and have a semi-decent PC, so I think the Xbox with Game Pass route is going to give me more fun.

Missing out on Bloodborne last gen would have been tragic though!
  • Carlo 12 Nov 2020 15:12:12 21,495 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Unfortunately I'm one of those people who hates missing out on something.

This ends up materializing in owning all the consoles (including the switch), and a PC, and when Half Life Alyx came out I bought a Index, etc. etc.

I think it boils down to how obsessive your hobby is, and how much disposable income you have.

If you want to start closing off some platforms, XBox and PC are the first obvious ones that look similar. But not every game on XBox and Game Pass ends up on PC, so it might not quite work out that way.
  • StixxUK 12 Nov 2020 15:39:26 8,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Was also getting close to upgrading my PC, but if I did it would be a whole new everything - so maybe next-gen console offers better value...

I'd probably play some game pass games on my PC still.

Think I can survive without the PS exclusives.

Now let's see if my decision holds until Series X comes back into stock somewhere!

And if I can bring myself to spend the money on a decent new 4k/HDR/VRR TV!
  • Bichii 12 Nov 2020 15:55:13 3,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I say it depends on the depth of your pockets. I would definitely prefer a ps5 but I'm not spending the money they are now asking for a game so I'm likely to go Xbox as I will pay next to nothing for more games than I have time to play.
  • StixxUK 12 Nov 2020 16:21:33 8,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Bichii That's a damn good point. I'm going for best value!
  • Carlo 12 Nov 2020 16:27:03 21,495 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    I value my time more than anything. Playing a shit free game vs an expensive one that's very good doesn't bare thinking about.

I have Game Pass, but that doesn't mean I'll play more games, nor does it mean I'll stop buying games
  • Bichii 12 Nov 2020 16:44:44 3,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    StixxUK wrote:
    I value my time more than anything. Playing a shit free game vs an expensive one that's very good doesn't bare thinking about.

I have Game Pass, but that doesn't mean I'll play more games, nor does it mean I'll stop buying games
    No one mentioned playing shit games. They are way more good games on game pass than I have free time.
  • StixxUK 12 Nov 2020 16:50:43 8,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Carlo My point is more that I probably won't get round to buying (and hence playing) many things that cost 70

I still won't play the shit stuff obviously, I'll just play more interesting indie games and a wider selection of genres as there's no incremental decision or cost.
  • Carlo 12 Nov 2020 16:55:11 21,495 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    StixxUK wrote:

No one mentioned playing shit games. They are way more good games on game pass than I have free time.
    True. But you said 'best value'. Value isn't the price for me, that's all I'm saying.
  • Decks 12 Nov 2020 16:55:44 27,688 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Games come down in price extremely quickly so the 70 thing isn't really worrying me.

I was at a loss why anyone would go for the Xbox after the last gen but I guess the money saving thing makes sense.
  • Bichii 12 Nov 2020 17:01:02 3,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't see the price coming down at all. PS4 digital prices went up if anything over the generation. Physical fluctuated a bit but didn't move much. It started higher, dropped a bit and then went up again in the last few years. Think 65-70 is now the digital price and 60-65 physical. I'm going to give it six months and see if it holds and every new game is 65-70. I really do want ps5 but Xbox will mean I get almost free gaming after the initial cost of the hardware. Plus I have 3 kids who all like to game a little and the series X I can use old pads on it. The ps5 I would need to buy three more ps5 pads which is what 180?
  • Decks 12 Nov 2020 17:09:56 27,688 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No I mean new games become cheaper after a few weeks.
  • StixxUK 12 Nov 2020 17:10:21 8,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Sure, Value isn't just price, but it's a key part of it, and I am a tight bastard, almost incapable of buying anything unless I feel like I'm getting a good deal.

Edited by StixxUK at 17:11:37 12-11-2020
  • Bichii 12 Nov 2020 17:13:46 3,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    No I mean new games become cheaper after a few weeks.
    Will have to see but when the starting price is 70 how long until it comes down to a sensible 30-40? Possibly a long time on the top game I want. Things like god of war and tlou 2 held value for a long time. Hell I've never seen sekiro under 30 and whats that, 18 months old with a starting price of 45 ish.
  • DUFFMAN5 12 Nov 2020 17:31:18 26,339 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    To add to the great value of GP, if you do the Gamepass weekly and monthly quests and daily searches via bing on your phone and PC you can hit 5800 points per month fairly comfortably which is the cost of an MS 5 gift voucher applied directly to your account.
    I just search 1,2,3, and so on. I have earned 50 so far this year.
    Just imagine how much you could have earned if you didn't just play gears!
    But where is the fun in that :)
  • markypants 12 Nov 2020 17:35:20 2,853 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @LostInBKK Hey there! You are me 3 days ago (not literally - I'm sure you're much more handsome).

Here's what I did, hope it helps.

1. Went to CD Keys and bought X 3 12 month Xbox Live Gold. Think it all came in at 120 or there abouts.

2. Logged into my Xbox account - you can set that up before you get your Xbox. Once you do that, if you click your icon image in top right hand corner and then click on the '...' icon you can then redeem the Xbox Live codes you get given from CD Keys in the email they send you.

3. Once all that has gone through, just go to here - Upgrade Your Xbox Live Gold Membership to Ultimate Do the upgrade for a 1 and that then turns your 36 months of Live into Game Pass Ultimate. Jobs a good'n.

I'd then recommend getting both Game Pass app and Xbox app for your phone. It's all really easy and will end up making Game Pass about 3.33 a month.

Hope that helps!!
  • TechnoHippy 13 Nov 2020 08:15:02 18,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    For me the strength of Game Pass isn't really the first party content - MGS aren't exactly prolific publishers, although hopefully their recent acquisitions will change things. No, I like being able to dip into games that I normally wouldn't bother with if I'd have to pay for them, and I've discovered some great games that way. I still buy games of course, but I also know that I have a large library to dip into if I fancy something different.
  • LostInBKK 14 Nov 2020 09:51:05 26 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @TechnoHippy They have added a lot of top-quality strategy and RPG studios. With Bethesda coming in if you like those games it's a no-brainer.

Of course, those games take a long time to and get regular updates a great way to keep people locked in.

I guess to shift more consoles they need the new Halo to be perfect and in 4K 120fps.
  • LostInBKK 14 Nov 2020 10:17:23 26 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DeadDeadpool The PS exclusives are good but they are not the only games out there
  • JamboWayOh 14 Nov 2020 10:17:36 21,665 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well that's that then Microsoft, user DeadDeadpool has spoken.
  • rammy18 14 Nov 2020 10:25:25 28 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Well it wasn't 3-1 last gen, and this time around Xbox MS have stepped it up massively with both the console and gamepass.
    But lets play along, if MS do bail next gen you think (presumably as a Sony acolyte) that's good for you? I don't - competition is good for everyone, especially the consumer
  • LostInBKK 14 Nov 2020 12:32:52 26 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @rammy18 If we are to take this serious maybe M$ will say no more console hardware in 7 years as xCloud is good?

I think we might get one more set of dedicated console hardware but 7 or 5 years is a very long time in tech.
  • Bichii 14 Nov 2020 12:40:53 3,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    rammy18 wrote:
    Well it wasn't 3-1 last gen, and this time around Xbox MS have stepped it up massively with both the console and gamepass.
    But lets play along, if MS do bail next gen you think (presumably as a Sony acolyte) that's good for you? I don't - competition is good for everyone, especially the consumer
    Sony definitely need the competition as this gen was around 2-1 and they suddenly think 70 is okay. Jesus Christ even Activision, ACTIVISION aren't charging 70 for the ps5 call of duty.

Edited by Bichii at 12:42:04 14-11-2020
  • rammy18 14 Nov 2020 13:16:58 28 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @LostInBKK I dunno. I have fibre to the home and I'm still not sure how all this high frame rate 4k loveliness would work well if it was purely online. I mean sure, bandwidth is increasing all the time, but then so is the definition we play in?
  • rammy18 14 Nov 2020 13:19:08 28 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @Bichii for sure, if they had no competition it would be worse. I imagine if MS hadn't declared at 450 then people would be looking at 500+ for the PS5. And I reckon Sony would have totally ignored last gen games if they hadn't been pushed by gamepass
  • StixxUK 20 Nov 2020 15:21:07 8,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Come on then who's got both... and if you had to dump one which would it be?
  • dfunked09 20 Nov 2020 15:25:37 1,028 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I got a Series S if that counts? I'd get rid of the S to buy an X (but in reality will probably move it up to the bedroom!)

Although in fairness if I had to choose one I'd say goodbye to the XBox. There's no real need to own one these days if you've got a PC. I just like the convenience of them for couch play.

Edited by dfunked09 at 15:42:12 20-11-2020
  • SennaCujo 20 Nov 2020 17:38:43 372 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Have got XSX and PS5 and without hesitation it would be the PS5, I would want to hang on to. This is solely based on my first day enjoyment of both machines. The XBX was ok, but yesterday definitely had more of the wow factor. The PS5 just looks and feels more next gen.

Edited by SennaCujo at 17:39:42 20-11-2020
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.