Escape from Tarkov

• Tomo 7 Dec 2020 10:22:50 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Is anyone playing this?

I got it recently and it's really quite something. For the uninitiated, it's a (mostly) online first person shooter that's a mix of genres: DayZ, STALKER, Hunt, milsim, permadeath. You can play solo or in duos/squads. You get dropped into a map and have say 20-40 minutes to escape the map by reaching a checkpoint. You face off against other players in a bit to grab loot or steal it off each other. If you get out, you keep your spoils. If you die, you lose (almost) everything unless you insure your gear. The game is all about sneaking around beautiful maps hunting down each other. There is an absolutely bewildering amount of items, weapons and customisation in the game.

I've played a few rounds and getting thoroughly murdered. The learning curve is steep, but the core gameplay loop is very compelling and I'm keen to git gud.
  • BillMurray 4 Jan 2021 23:32:01 9,637 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been watching gameplay videos on and off for a couple of years but probably won't take the plunge unless I persuade a couple of mates to get it. Despite it being right up my alley I'm very much out of practice with first person shooters and I'm just not aggressive enough when playing on my tod, especially when inventory is at stake and I just end up being overly cautious.
  • Dirtbox 5 Jan 2021 01:39:07 91,948 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm not a fan of their pricing model. It's right up my alley otherwise, it just has a strong pay to get a playable experience vibe to it with exorbitant prices for basic quality of life improvements to the game.

Edited by Dirtbox at 02:38:01 05-01-2021
  • Tomo 5 Jan 2021 03:47:14 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @BillMurray

Yeah understandable. I convinced a friend to get it but in all honesty I'm not sure he's convinced by it. The difficulty curve mainly. It is brutal learning the ropes. Plus we bought it just before Cyberpunk released which hasn't helped.
  • Tomo 5 Jan 2021 03:56:38 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Dirtbox

The pricing model is shit. The game comes with its own launcher as well which seems totally unnecessary.

There are some other classic weird design choices like this which I associate with slightly maverick Eastern European developers. For instance there is zero tutorial, so I ended up reading 20 pages of a PDF someone on Reddit made to introduce new players. It starts simply by telling you how to load a map offline with bots and that you should always have a map of the level available on alt+tab otherwise you will get lost and not make it out. There are other uncompromising quirks.

But at the same time, a lot of the game feels very well made, more so than i expected. It looks gorgeous, the guns feel weighty and impactful and there is so much loot and room to customise your weapons - it's really quite impressive.

I need to get into it properly. Thankfully it seems to have sold well and has a constant player base so I can confidently park it for a little while at least.
  • Theshape80 5 Jan 2021 05:59:46 400 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Havenít played recently but played a lot early last year. The gun modding is unrivalled in any game Iíve seen so far. Found it rock hard though.
  • crashVoodoo 6 Jan 2021 18:31:24 6,944 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Tomo the premise sounds exactly the same as vigor but I'm not sure which came first so one of them is probably ripping the other off.
  • Theshape80 6 Jan 2021 21:53:13 400 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @crashVoodoo Tarkov came first.ive been watching DrDisrespect play it the last couple of days. Got to admit itís got me tempted to jump back in. Worst part for was the extractions as the maps are large and thereís no indicator where they are other than the name.
  • crashVoodoo 8 Jan 2021 11:20:38 6,944 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It does look fun but I fear it'll be just like pubg in that I really want to play it but I'll suck so bad at it that it'll just piss me off.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 11:21:39 08-01-2021
  • Theshape80 9 Jan 2021 08:44:45 400 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Any new player will inevitably be bad when they start the game. Your gear for your Pmc is bad to start with. Itís very important to maximise your Scav runs early on. Itís slightly easier to do a Scav run as enemy Ai wonít target you (except bosses) you start later into the round meaning there may be less Pmcs around and youíll have a easier time learning hotspots and extractions. Itís still one of the hardest games around though. But probably THE most rewarding once it comes together.
  • crashVoodoo 12 Jan 2021 10:12:29 6,944 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Tomo did you go for the standard version?

I can't stop watching videos of this. It looks hard as fuck to get into, looting, reloading and medding etc.

All that said, I love the slower pacing and using sound to locate people. Sneaking around and then shooting somebody in the face and taking all their stuff. Difference to pubg seems to be the permanence in that you take your loot home and reuse it later or sell it and upgrade.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 10:13:04 12-01-2021
  • Tomo 12 Jan 2021 10:18:19 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, I did. Don't go for the more expensive ones. They just give you a bit more gear when you're starting out tbh. It's a shitty business practice.
  • Tomo 12 Jan 2021 10:22:01 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    If you get it, I highly recommend going through Section 2 of this when you start:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/etxsgn/2020_beginners_guide_to_eft_new_to_tarkov_start/
  • crashVoodoo 12 Jan 2021 10:48:48 6,944 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Thanks tomo. I'll have a read.

/Downloads maps
  • Theshape80 13 Jan 2021 19:52:14 400 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have the standard edition. The only reason Iím considering upgrading is for a better container. The alphas ok but for new players who are struggling, the larger the size the better as u can make more money slightly quicker.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.