The Home Schooling/Teaching and Learning at Home Thread Page 5

• Not-a-reviewer 23 Jan 2021 07:33:17 7,441 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We’ve had one of those saying they have exceedingly high numbers as expected and they’re increasing the number of bubbles but only those that are key workers or vulnerable should be going in.

I can understand the parents not wanting to have to have the kids at home, not being able to cope or the kids not doing anything so need a classroom environment but it does make the whole closure of primary schools a joke. They might as well reopen them.

Edited by Not-a-reviewer at 07:53:50 23-01-2021
  • elstoof 23 Jan 2021 07:39:16 27,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Must be rough for the kids getting sent into a largely empty school, wondering why all their friends get to stay at home with the parents. Like being in a really shit Breakfast Club without Ally Sheedy
  • sport 23 Jan 2021 07:59:53 16,934 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ringwald or GTFO!
  • Dougs 23 Jan 2021 08:14:30 99,664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm with els, Ally Sheedy all the way.
  • freddymercurystwin 23 Jan 2021 08:20:52 2,677 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My boys school positively welcomed him back and we're adament we'd done the right thing, really quite humbling, I only sent my rambling email at about 3pm to his form tutor but she rang back after about 5 mins (hinted there were other students doing zero work but their parents weren't interested) but by then it had already been forwarded to the deputy principal amongst others and they rang me back about an hour later to say he could start Monday.
  • mothercruncher 23 Jan 2021 08:59:03 19,337 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    SheedyKrew o/
  • Trafford 23 Jan 2021 09:04:44 9,279 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I do genuinely feel for (you) folk going through this. My kids are kinda past it being at Uni.
    Thinking about an ex girlfriend though, she's not the sharpest tool in the box and has 3 daughters, years 7,5&4. A proper handful as well and the very definition of kids needing to be in school for all the help they can get.
  • sport 23 Jan 2021 09:09:41 16,934 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    I do genuinely feel for (you) folk going through this. My kids are kinda past it being at Uni.
    Thinking about an ex girlfriend though, she's not the sharpest tool in the box and has 3 daughters, years 7,5&4. A proper handful as well and the very definition of kids needing to be in school for all the help they can get.
    You dumped her last Feb didn't you? Jesus, mate.
  • Trafford 23 Jan 2021 09:13:09 9,279 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @sport 😊
    Nah that was the Alexa obsessed bird.
    The single Mum I'm on about was about 2 years ago.
  • Not-a-reviewer 23 Jan 2021 09:27:24 7,441 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I guess if this became a permanent thing then in a few years things would adapt. Teaching remotely would improve, kids would get better at it and parents/families would cope a bit better or they’d work out some arrangement with other family/friends to make it work better.

That would be a hellish few years for most people though and some would have no chance.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Jan 2021 15:06:53 18,306 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know he’s only 2 and developing well but I really need to up my game on providing more structured activities for Baby Maybe.

Even if its only to break the day up a bit more.
  • hedben2013 25 Jan 2021 08:54:45 2,102 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This morning I'm quite enjoying the coded messaging I'm getting from all 3 of my kids' schools that basically says "there's home learning, but we don't care if you skip it and have a proper Snow Day"
  • Not-a-reviewer 25 Jan 2021 09:01:30 7,441 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We’re stuck with both of ours today as we live on a really quiet strip of road that is impossible to get out of when there’s only a couple of cm of snow.

Fortunately wife had already booked this afternoon off and I’ve only got 1 meeting I have to go to in the morning but it is a pain.

All she has to do today was learn the sounds for z and x and the signs. She already knows all that, I’m still amazed at how little they teach in reception but that’s the price of large classes.

Edited by Not-a-reviewer at 09:03:06 25-01-2021
  • bzzct 25 Jan 2021 09:18:57 2,402 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Not-a-reviewer Differences across the class yeah but also how easily they forget stuff, to be fair. There's lots of stuff a kid can "learn" in a week, but if they then moved on to other things it wouldn't still be there six months later, so a lot of it is deliberately repetitive even once they "know" it.
  • QuickWithKnives 25 Jan 2021 10:08:17 127 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    All she has to do today was learn the sounds for z and x....
    And how to pronounce “spectrum”, presumably.
  • monkman76 27 Jan 2021 09:47:40 18,744 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was doing ok with the home schooling while full time working juggle so far, but today I feel like I'm one minor setback away from a complete meltdown (my own, not the kids').
  • QuickWithKnives 27 Jan 2021 09:52:20 127 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @monkman76 I'm generally pretty good. I enjoy teaching and our eight year old is a talented and keen learner.

But, I have to say that things have got to me (and Mrs. Quick) a few times over the last couple of weeks.

Power through! And good luck to us all...
  • Nexus_6 27 Jan 2021 11:01:40 6,073 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I have not done much of the teaching so far - it's been the other half as she works 3 days.
    It seems to be an exercise in frustration for the parents. Maybe we care too much and want to see them do well and don't have the patience for them actually learning so much as getting the task done correctly.

It's a difficult habit to break when as adults we need to get things right first time, generally.

Our boy is doing really well but he is struggling with not seeing his friends and not having as much of a structured day. (the work lasts til early afternoon at most then he is free to play) He winds his mum up something rotten by not concentrating or deliberately getting something wrong.

We usually do lego together, and he will often ask for help, get bits wrong and i get frustrated and it turns in to a less pleasurable activity. Yesterday I had to leave him to do a set on his own as I had a meeting. He battered through it and had most of it done within the hour and thoroughly enjoyed it. If there was a way to step back from the numbers and letters teaching and let him figure it out that might be more productive in the long run for us all.

There is no worse feeling that at the end of a difficult day looking back and feeling like a total shit for shouting at a boy for not writing his words correctly in his jotter.
  • monkman76 30 Jan 2021 09:00:33 18,744 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/a-diary-of-kate-middletons-exhausting-parenting-during-lockdown-20210129204774
  • hedben2013 1 Feb 2021 15:16:28 2,102 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This afternoon my 5 year old's showing signs that she's just about had it with home schooling. The usual threats and bribes aren't working and I almost lost my rag with her just now (I find it especially hard when she's been fine for a couple of hours while I was free, and then decides to kick off and spill beads everywhere right when I'm having my only / most important Zoom call of the afternoon).

I banished her to her room with a screen that she's already been on *far* too much today, and I'm headed up there now with sweets to make peace
  • Dougs 1 Feb 2021 16:16:04 99,664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's really hard. My 8 year old has those days where I know we're not going to win and she's checked out. I got about an hour out of her today. Even the 10 year old spent most of last Thursday in bed, just shattered. He's usually pretty good at just getting on, so knew he wasn't right.
  • mothercruncher 1 Feb 2021 16:25:15 19,337 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mmm, bad day today. Started with the teacher on a terrible connection, difficult to understand the gist of what also turned out to be fussy English and Maths work. Neither of us were in the mood today anyway, bah.
    Try again tomorrow I guess.
  • QuickWithKnives 1 Feb 2021 18:57:11 127 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Actually a good day here. They’re not usually too bad, but last week things did seem to be getting to us all a bit.

The eight year old’s home school day is supposed to be 0845 - 1530, including two Zoom lessons and the rest of the time filled in by me, but last week there wasn’t a day when she finished before 1630.

I know for a fact that many of the other families at “our” school are putting in nowhere near that amount of time. I also know that people are STILL meeting up for secret get-togethers and so on.

It got a little depressing.

But today, she was done by 1540, and has been able to enjoy dinner and her two hour Zoom dance class without anything hanging over her.

We’ll see what tomorrow brings!

Good luck to us all.
  • bzzct 1 Feb 2021 19:47:54 2,402 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    QuickWithKnives wrote:
    The eight year old’s home school day is supposed to be 0845 - 1530, including two Zoom lessons and the rest of the time filled in by me, but last week there wasn’t a day when she finished before 1630.
    Really?! Our primary is mercifully setting nowhere near that much, mainly because it would be pointless - parents are working.
  • QuickWithKnives 1 Feb 2021 19:52:02 127 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @bzzct Since Lockdown 1 we’ve been very aware that she seems to be expected to do much more work than most people are reporting.

Mrs. Quick and I are both very passionate about education, so we insist the little un does as much as possible of what’s been set.

We know most folk aren’t going to anywhere near that much effort.
  • Dougs 1 Feb 2021 21:59:53 99,664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The guidelines are 3 hours for key stage 1 and 4 hours for Key stage 2. Eldest in KS2 probably gets close to that but the youngest manages about 2 at most. If we get maths and English done, I'm quite happy.
  • Drakesmoke 2 Feb 2021 19:46:14 834 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Long rant incoming and don't expect any sympathy or replies but basically, this is an example of it all making me feel like a shitty person.

So this week school, who are basically sending homework and not doing any video teaching or anything, have cut down to English, Maths, and a task related to children's mental health week.

Therefore there is less work this week than ever, as the third task is a bit of nothing really. Get outdoors (dog walk for us) yesterday, write a note to thank somebody that helps your state of mind today.

Maths done in about twenty five minutes flat today, it was literally a page of sums involving decimal points. Daughter (9) then does her reading (school encourage it but we mandate it during these times) and is basically free for hours.

The English lesson today is to write, proof and edit a poem about a magical journey. This follows on from yesterday's task to fill in a table to plan it. Partner handled the planning stage, but neither kid nor mum read the instructions properly, so wrote about what would happen at the destination rather than the journey, which was pointed out by teach.

Mum couldn't do the lesson until later in the day, so I got the little one down to do the mental health task, and then had the aim of getting her to think about this one section of the planning task to help write the poem later. So the MH 'thank you' task was done in about five minutes flat, and I'm asked if she can have a five or ten minute break. She's just had three hours playing online games (don't even speak to me about Roblox) with her cousin. Annoyance starts here.

I obviously refuse, and walk her through this planning task. I ask her to think of three or four magical things to happen on this magical journey. She shouts me in after ten minutes and it's just low effort guff. As an example, 'get on train which has automatic door, eat meat sandwich from cafe'. And this is a bright kid. Annoyance rises again as I tell her to use her imagination, stop thinking about R*Blox and do it properly.

Re-task her to similar results. Annoyance rises again.

She finally produces what she assures me is the finished product. So the magical event is that our dog discovers an alien on the carriage, and 'magically poops on its head' before 'peeing on the poop to make the alien faint!'

Lose my rag a bit here, there is actually an example poem to set the tone and the spirit and this isn't it, I'm not showing this to your teacher, etc etc. In the midst of this, I'm very aware that these two bits that should have taken 15 minutes have now stretched to 50 minutes. Between IT problems, toxic modern constant Zoom meeting culture, and the school work (which for better or worse I prioritize over my work) I'm struggling with my job. I have to ring some pretty vulnerable and therefore hard work people and I've been waiting to ring a particular one for 50 minutes at this point to be presented with that nonsense. All the while, dick head neighbours are hammering, sawing and sanding, as they appear to have been doing for the last year ('what's he BUILDING in there?! ')

The worst thing is because I'm very stressed and a terrible person when this stuff happens I'm finding it hard to move on and keep carrying the bad mood into the evening. I can tell at times my other half is pissed off at me as sometimes it's all I'll talk about when it gets to me too much.

So I've popped upstairs to find something, to find 9 year old has changed the TV without asking in the living room (always The Simpsons), which she's been asked not to do, and I've just come upstairs to get away for half an hour. To find The Simpsons on in her own room. I've flipped my lid and sworn and ranted, pissed off at wasting electric and having the annoying show on downstairs when she could watch it herself, doubtless other half and child will have heard, so I'll get told off later and have a child upset at me over me over reacting to an absolute triviality. Feel shit, and have been shit.

Which ever poster above said they 'never asked for this slightly hectoring relationship with my child' is absofuckinglutely spot on, when I read that it was like my feelings had been perfectly summarized in a sentence.

Apologies for a long, self indulgent, selfish rant but it's an outlet.

Edited by Drakesmoke at 19:48:24 02-02-2021
  • QuickWithKnives 2 Feb 2021 19:52:40 127 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Drakesmoke This is the place for it, my friend: let it out.

It’s not easy for any of us - a totally alien environment for most - and we just need to do what we can.

For your own well-being, try to find a way to forgive yourself for any breakdowns. They’re a release valve we all need.
  • Drakesmoke 2 Feb 2021 20:10:23 834 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @QuickWithKnives appreciate it. Looks like nobody even heard me so I'm off the hook, at least until either the next time or being fired from work. The irony of me flipping out at her on children's mental health week isn't lost on me either.

There are days when it goes great and then days when I'm just like 'FFS you are being given 2 hours of work max, here and are making it hell for me over that'. When she gets these moods on her, I cannot get it through that it's quicker to do a thorough job once than get a rush job sent back five times. Not to mention the whole pride in your work and not wanting to torture your family thing.

FML.

Thanks again, do feel a bit better for now.

Edited by Drakesmoke at 20:10:40 02-02-2021
  • bzzct 2 Feb 2021 20:20:12 2,402 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Drakesmoke Cut yourself some slack, mate. You can't expect to give them a day of schooling when you're fitting it around a job, and it sounds like the school are being fairly realistic about that too based on the quantity and types of work they're setting. And even if you didn't have your own work to fit it around there's no way most kids will settle down to focus as well in their own house as they would in a classroom.

I've found picking an amount of time to spend on home-schooling more manageable than thinking it done when each activity has been completed to a certain standard. Spent half an hour on your maths? Then that's what we're submitting. If it's not good enough, we'll push a bit harder tomorrow but that's it for today. Obviously it's not always quite that simple... but I try to think of it more that way around now.

If you can shift your expectations a bit over how much home-schooling is enough, you'll no doubt find the evenings etc. come down a notch in pressure then too.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.