The Home Schooling/Teaching and Learning at Home Thread Page 6

• Drakesmoke 2 Feb 2021 22:08:00 834 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @bzzct I get all of that and some of those tactics have been employed on occasion.

On the other hand she is entirely capable of doing a good job, and to her (and, being immodest) we grown ups' (doing the shepherding) credit, most days she does.

It'll often be the stupid little tasks that ought to be done in fifteen minutes that get dragged out and that's when it gets frustrating. There's been loads of days where she's done much more advanced and involved work to a good standard in a reasonable time without a problem. Just depends whether she can be arsed I guess. We all have times like that at work no doubt but you can't do it for an entire day.

I genuinely think that all the networked communication they have with friends and all the Tik Tom's and Fortnite's and Roblox of the world have a very negative effect on kids' ability to focus. Given that you don't have time to do anything with them in between lessons this is the stuff they default to and then when you call them for science at 2.30 after your meeting, they can present as a basic zombie, and obviously feel you're interrupting play time. That stuff doesn't help.

I do need to strike a better balance with my own work. Part of the problem is I hate my fucking job so when it goes well with the schooling I've thrown myself into it, for dual reasons: I want her to be supported in it at a time when she just isn't getting that from school, and it gets me off my horrible job for an hour. Her succeeding at school feels more important. It genuinely feels more important to school her than to do my job, which I feel is just a survival task that I have to catch up with after the schooling really. However I am starting to worry work are going to catch on.

My partner has gauged my mood tonight and forced me to talk. She has a quieter day tomorrow so has ordered me to have a day off school work. I won't relish doing a full uninterrupted day of my actual job but perhaps getting ahead on that pile of tasks there again may lift me a bit.
  • mothercruncher 3 Feb 2021 10:05:17 19,337 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Had an interesting new perspective yesterday. Our teacher is top notch. Excuse my prejudice for a second, but friendly, warm, early twenties- you might expect her to struggle. Sheís got the class absolutely eating out of her hand.
    She was away yesterday and so we sat in on another teacherís call. Literally couldnít do that each day, Iíd be hunting kids down for a swift murdering. Kids talking with each other, random singing, drumming on tables, refusing to sit and just dancing around, Fuck knows where the parents were, absolutely understand you might be having to do other things but surely you can occasionally hear the teacher asking them to bloody well behave... ugh.
    Back to normal today, everyoneís sitting quietly and listening, sanity restored.
  • Not-a-reviewer 3 Feb 2021 10:10:38 7,441 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The school recorded a story for the kids yesterday, I donít know which teacher it was and you couldnít see her but she should definitely read more.
  • Drakesmoke 3 Feb 2021 10:19:28 834 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    The school recorded a story for the kids yesterday, I donít know which teacher it was and you couldnít see her but she should definitely read more.
    I'm imagining a bit of a Nigella husk here. If it's actually more Pat Butcher, don't tell me 'til I finish.
  • mothercruncher 4 Feb 2021 15:30:27 19,337 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bad day today, sore from exercise yesterday and have a minging headache. Itís none of that, Iím just fed up of this now. Weíd done our maths and English and a splendid bit of research and some multiple questions on Judaism. Great. Then opened geography and itís an A-fucking-3 poster about the Amazon, draw animals, plants, the forest canopy, add facts, write this, write that.... heart sank but tried to put a brave face on it.
    Funnily enough, my ďoh, for fuckís sakeĒ inner reaction was a precise mirror of the one I give when someone asks me to do a website. Except I get paid for that job 🤬😉
  • Dougs 4 Feb 2021 15:34:36 99,664 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I hear you. My wife has been ill this week and is bed ridden so I've been juggling the kids, work and looking after her and a few days I've just binned it off. A half-hearted "do your work" but otherwise, fuck it. Kids are done with it too.

Edited by Dougs at 15:34:45 04-02-2021
  • Drakesmoke 4 Feb 2021 16:25:16 834 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mothercruncher

Yeah in general I have nothing but respect for the job teachers are doing even if I don't always agree with the approaches, but that happens here too, and it's just like, give the parents a break. Always seems to happen on the Friday when you are on fumes or the Monday when you need the energy to start work too.
  • Drakesmoke 4 Feb 2021 16:35:02 834 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/zoom-and-google-hangouts-are-making-kids-miserable_l_5ebd5cbbc5b655620b13a149

This gave me some interesting (and sad) perspectives over why ours might not love the idea of seeing the class in Zoom on the odd times it's offered. She's been shy and funny about it without really expressing why. Obviously hope it is just shyness and not something deeper but it'll make me think twice before applying pressure to join future sessions, which are rare with our school.
  • Drakesmoke 4 Feb 2021 16:39:56 834 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would just like to say a personal thanks to users Quick with Knives and bzzct for your kind words when I needed it a couple of days ago.

I have in fact had another rough morning with the teaching today, but I think the perspective gained from venting and hearing other views and a bit of kindness too has helped me put it better perspective on it, so I'm determined to have a good evening and not carry those feelings on.

Daughter is also playing with some friends she hasn't managed to catch for over a week next door and I know she's been bothered by that, so that's nice too.

Thanks again all and I'll stop the consecutive posts now.

Thanks
  • Not-a-reviewer 4 Feb 2021 16:43:11 7,441 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The article does gloss over the tools not being great for social interaction in that the tools just arenít good. 20 people all trying to have conversations with their friends while others do the same on the same time is going to be shit.

The rest of the points on there are all completely valid to different degrees for different children.

Theyíre fine for small groups but talking to a screen will take some getting used to, part of it is that they arenít used to it (like most office workers werenít but theyíre getting better).
  • bzzct 4 Feb 2021 17:54:01 2,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    The article does gloss over the tools not being great for social interaction in that the tools just arenít good. 20 people all trying to have conversations with their friends while others do the same on the same time is going to be shit.
    Absolutely - the subtleties around learning how to chime in and out of a conversation when most of the regular body language etc. cues are missing is hard enough for adults.

Also somewhat glossed over in that article is that if your 5-year-old is "hating all the school and virtual play dates", you've probably been arranging far too many of them? It suggests "cancel Zoom dates with friends and family for a few days", implying that said 5-year-old has been having at least one social video call *every day*, on top of whatever they're doing for school. I'm not sure most 5-year-olds have been that saturated in Zoom calls to start with...?
  • Not-a-reviewer 4 Feb 2021 18:31:54 7,441 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Our 4 year old (reception) has 1 half hour teams call 4 days a week, they were doing 10 a week at one point but realised that was stupid.

For my work I havenít had a single video call at all, itís all phone calls and you do adapt after a while of doing it.
  • QuickWithKnives 4 Feb 2021 19:34:50 127 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Drakesmoke Not a problem, mate. EG is nothing if not my favourite support group!

Hope you all manage to have a good evening.
  • Dougs 4 Feb 2021 19:35:56 99,664 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I probably have on average 6 video calls a day. It's a pain in the arse.

My 10 year old has no problems talking with his mates online or in a game but no interest in doing school calls, since it became obvious it was only the girls who pitched up. And my 8 year old isn't interested in more than a school call once a week because of the chaos.

Edited by Dougs at 19:49:24 04-02-2021
  • Not-a-reviewer 4 Feb 2021 20:04:28 7,441 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They do seem to result in a bunch of kids all talking at the same time or the teacher talking and them all silent staring.

At least work phone calls I can walk off with my phone and get a drink when Iím not needing to listen. Weíre not allowed to do video calls which is good.
  • Dougs 4 Feb 2021 21:05:33 99,664 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Security issues? Amazed a lot of discussions I have aren't under greater restrictions but seems cost wins out. Too expensive to provide secure lines etc beyond the basics.
  • Dougs 8 Mar 2021 06:49:15 99,664 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Get thee back to school, you little fuckers!
  • monkman76 8 Mar 2021 07:03:13 18,744 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    \o/
  • Not-a-reviewer 8 Mar 2021 07:56:37 7,441 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The 4 year old is already there at breakfast club. The two year old is off sick, I donít think Iíve ever felt so disappointed :(
  • Drakesmoke 8 Mar 2021 08:00:07 834 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can't wait for her to become somebody else's f*cking problem today 😂
  • binky Moderator 8 Mar 2021 08:10:16 11,152 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    Mixed emotions this morning.
    On the one hand it'll be great to finally not have to worry about them here all day and get on the road to finding some bloody focus for my work.

On the other hand I'll be worrying about them a place with loads of other people all day :-/
  • nickthegun 8 Mar 2021 08:22:33 86,943 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The school mass tested every pupil last week and they have all been confirmed negative. I know anything can happen over the weekend but it does give at least some confidence.
  • elstoof 8 Mar 2021 08:29:18 27,447 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Feel like I should be taking first day at school photos for the memory books
  • THFourteen 8 Mar 2021 08:32:03 54,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Saw people doing that on the way.

Hmmm how am I gonna entertain the 4 year old all day without any activities or an older brother.
  • elstoof 8 Mar 2021 08:36:00 27,447 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bollocks to these staggered opening times though, makes it a right faff to drop and collect each one
  • Drakesmoke 8 Mar 2021 08:39:57 834 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Bollocks to these staggered opening times though, makes it a right faff to drop and collect each one
    Can imagine that with multiples. Selfishly for a single kid it reduces car and foot traffic and minimizes exposure to covidiots for me.
  • Immaterial 8 Mar 2021 08:41:58 2,581 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    First one off to school, second one will be helped out the door for a 9:45 appointment with a nasal/oral swab shortly.

The junior school may or may not be doing mass testing (don't think they are doing it to be honest), but the secondary school definitely is.
  • THFourteen 8 Mar 2021 08:51:33 54,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tonne of parents interacting at the school gates.
  • elstoof 8 Mar 2021 09:02:35 27,447 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Can imagine that with multiples. Selfishly for a single kid it reduces car and foot traffic and minimizes exposure to covidiots for me.
    It means a lot of people just hanging around the school waiting the 15-30 minutes for the next child to go in
  • hedben2013 8 Mar 2021 09:11:56 2,102 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This morning me and Mrs hedben spent 20 minutes organising the mug shelf and throwing away unused mugs, in case anyone's wondering how we're making use of the quiet time we get once the kids are dropped off.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.