The Home Schooling/Teaching and Learning at Home Thread Page 7

Next Last
  • bzzct 8 Mar 2021 09:26:23 2,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Bollocks to these staggered opening times though, makes it a right faff to drop and collect each one
    Can imagine that with multiples. Selfishly for a single kid it reduces car and foot traffic and minimizes exposure to covidiots for me.
    It means a lot of people just hanging around the school waiting the 15-30 minutes for the next child to go in
    Yeah that seems a counter-productive approach. Ours have siblings all being dropped off together for that exact reason.
  • Drakesmoke 8 Mar 2021 10:14:44 834 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Bollocks to these staggered opening times though, makes it a right faff to drop and collect each one
    Can imagine that with multiples. Selfishly for a single kid it reduces car and foot traffic and minimizes exposure to covidiots for me.
    It means a lot of people just hanging around the school waiting the 15-30 minutes for the next child to go in
    As I said it's better for me personally, I. E. selfish me. IME there is less traffic of both types compared to pre virus society, plenty of only children out there.

It seems to me a good compromise would be staggering for single kid households so they are definitely not arriving all at once, and for those with more than one, the other kid/kids go in at the same time and sit with a CA or something, we are only talking fifteen minutes or something.

I get that you would be able to find multiple exceptions like different schools etc and I haven't thought that far and am probably too thick to achieve it.

In my day (primary) the parents dropped you off, buggered off, and dinner ladies (I'm using the language of the times) were in the playground. You'd knock lumps out of each other playing tig or whatever for half an hour and be shepherded in.

At least half of the problem in the morning is that parents are made to wait in the grounds or at the gates until the actual bell (there is no bell) without that facility.
  • elstoof 8 Mar 2021 10:22:08 27,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    In our school you can drop siblings together at the later time, and collect at the earlier time, but this means your children are missing out on potentially 45 minutes of school each day, depending on which years theyíre in
  • bzzct 8 Mar 2021 10:28:30 2,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Blimey, 45 mins. Ours is 3 for infants with no junior siblings, 3:10 for mixed and 3:20 for juniors with no infant siblings.

I guess a lot of it depends on layouts, like whether each class can file out independently and parents can all be spread out, or whether there are pinch points for the kids and the parents are all huddled outside one gate.
  • bzzct 8 Mar 2021 10:34:35 2,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    In my day (primary) the parents dropped you off, buggered off, and dinner ladies (I'm using the language of the times) were in the playground. You'd knock lumps out of each other playing tig or whatever for half an hour and be shepherded in.

At least half of the problem in the morning is that parents are made to wait in the grounds or at the gates until the actual bell (there is no bell) without that facility.
    Ours recently (well pre-covid so not that recent...) switched from "you can arrive any time between 8:45 and 09:00 - bell rings at 9" (was always a bit risky to aim for 9 so in practice you had to aim earlier and hang around) to "you can arrive any time between 8:45 and 09:00 - and kids just go straight in whenever in that window they arrive". Parents realised they were getting about 10 mins of their life back each morning, and there was much rejoicing.

Edited by bzzct at 12:19:12 08-03-2021
  • nickthegun 8 Mar 2021 10:37:55 86,943 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They have dropped the staggered starts at our school. I think more people than just me pointed out that it was completely pointless unless you are also going to stagger period times.

It was fine having them come in a different times but as soon as the bell goes for the end of lesson, the entire school piles out of the classroom at the same time anyway, so whats the point?
  • elstoof 8 Mar 2021 10:51:08 27,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I guess itís to stop parents all piling in at the same time, plenty of the fuckers loitering for a chat this morning anyway
  • nickthegun 8 Mar 2021 11:01:31 86,943 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This is secondary, so no parents allowed. They actually cast a parent exclusion zone around the school so everyone was dropping off in sainsburys which was just at the perimeter.

Edited by nickthegun at 11:01:37 08-03-2021
  • THFourteen 8 Mar 2021 11:09:06 54,688 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hour and a half of playing dollyís now. Iím bored shitless.
  • Drakesmoke 8 Mar 2021 11:10:46 834 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Staggered end time at ours. Which has been good except for the frequent times they are out ten minutes late anyway.

Of course the one time a month they are actually out two minutes EARLY (always on a Friday amirite) child accuses you of 'always being late'
    😂
  • Not-a-reviewer 8 Mar 2021 11:21:33 7,441 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The staggered times at ours are 5 minute difference in total. Itís so small that itís completely pointless.
  • ZuluHero 8 Mar 2021 12:02:18 10,221 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    This morning me and Mrs hedben spent 20 minutes organising the mug shelf and throwing away unused mugs, in case anyone's wondering how we're making use of the quiet time we get once the kids are dropped off.
    I was looking for something to do after all the sex. She never joined me for that, but hopefully she will help sort all the mugs.
  • Knighty 8 Mar 2021 12:53:54 1,291 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh shit thereís a new series of numberblocks out today, just as kids go back to school. Thatís maths sorted for primary kids then!
  • hedben2013 8 Mar 2021 13:10:49 2,102 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    hedben2013 wrote:
    This morning me and Mrs hedben spent 20 minutes organising the mug shelf and throwing away unused mugs, in case anyone's wondering how we're making use of the quiet time we get once the kids are dropped off.
    I was looking for something to do after all the sex. She never joined me for that, but hopefully she will help sort all the mugs.
    I can probably explain why my wife didn't join you for sex, but if you want her to help sort out your mugs maybe we can arrange a Zoom or something
  • ZuluHero 8 Mar 2021 13:13:52 10,221 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    :D

/puts car keys in the Zoom meeting waiting room bowl
  • Technoishmatt 8 Mar 2021 13:18:37 5,244 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Our nursery has split timings in upstairs and downstairs. Downstairs drop off is 8-8:30, up is 8:30-9, then pick up is 17:00 & 17:30 respectively.

Hasn't been difficult to distance in a queue out front.

Not sure what we do when the baby starts downstairs in May! (Boy is upstairs) and for how long this stuff will keep going (note that previous times were 8-18:00 so we are losing an hour a day!!!
  • PierrePressure 8 Mar 2021 13:32:27 1,443 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My 13 year old goes back tomorrow.

I've been so shit with watching what he has been up to, help usually comes from his mum in the evenings as she is a health visitor and she's basically out 9-5.

He never comes to me needing helping with in class work due to a) he's already well past my education levels and b) I'm always stuck on the phone for work.

Just told him I'm really proud with how he's coped l, cue awkward silence between the both of us. Haha.
  • THFourteen 8 Mar 2021 14:00:35 54,688 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @PierrePressure

Is he the footballer? how's he getting on? Did he have to stop training and stuff?

Oh wait that might have been Pierre2k!

Edited by THFourteen at 14:03:30 08-03-2021
  • PierrePressure 8 Mar 2021 14:12:00 1,443 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My lad did get picked up but nothing came from it, as the kids shot up he's stayed the same and he just can't compete in the same way.

Disappointing but not surprising really.
  • Mageme 8 Mar 2021 15:11:50 2,326 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Staggered times 5 minutes apart here too and I have to go round the school twice to pick up both kids.

Oh well, at least they're back in school and no more home schooling (for now).
  • bzzct 8 Mar 2021 15:17:31 2,402 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Mageme wrote:
    (for now).
    Don't... just - just, don't...
  • Dougs 8 Mar 2021 15:56:28 99,664 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    One of my favourite podcasts now has a "Mug Chat" section, where listeners send in their mug stories - hierarchies, preferred styles etc. It sounds horrendously dull until you find yourself getting dragged into it. Top content.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.