The Home Schooling/Teaching and Learning at Home Thread Page 3

• freddymercurystwin 7 Jan 2021 12:05:22 2,371 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @elstoof So perhaps something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Colour-Laser-Wireless-Printer/dp/B07R99FQ91/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Laser+Printers+colour&qid=1610020681&s=computers&sr=1-3

with replacement cartridges such as this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aztech-Compatible-Cartridge-Replacement-CLT-K404S/dp/B076CZDBKW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=HP+117A+toner+cartridges&qid=1610021009&s=computers&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A2XDSOSV1D09VW&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyM1dPUjg1OFZZVUtSJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzcyMzEzMVVVTUJHTFAxNFNLMiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzc2MzEwM0ZHVTJXRFdTQzMzMCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
  • elstoof 7 Jan 2021 12:25:59 26,644 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you like? Tbh Iíve not looked at printers for almost a decade but colour lasers at home were generally prohibitively priced back then
  • Dougs 7 Jan 2021 12:43:33 97,448 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Question is whether it needs to be colour. Can't be many things really that need colour printing.
  • mothercruncher 7 Jan 2021 12:45:08 18,715 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Colour- more nozzlige to clog. Lazers are definitely the way forward but for a simple life Iíd stick with black and white.
  • Not-a-reviewer 7 Jan 2021 12:51:08 6,910 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Black and white printer plus some felt pens for colour.
  • freddymercurystwin 7 Jan 2021 12:52:45 2,371 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @mothercruncher Unfortunately we've found that we've needed to print loads of colour stuff from our schools so it would have to be colour for us. Presumably laser printers come with cartridges to get you going?

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 12:53:40 07-01-2021
  • nudistpete 7 Jan 2021 15:36:47 1,268 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    We've got to fill out the same "technology survey" we've filled in god knows how many times since the lockdown yet again since the eldest's school (Y3) is starting up zoom lessons. It's a bit farcical given that we have to use a myriad of apps anyway to just get details from the schools, and we had to use them during lockdown 1 & and all the self-isolation periods over the last few months.

Wife is a keyworker and our eldest got a school place offered, but our youngest (who really needs that environment because she's bloody hard work at home, despite her teachers telling us how wunderbar she is in school) didn't. So we decided not to put the eldest in as it would be unnecessarily taking up a place - given the more challenging one needs to stay at home.

Re: printers, my over a decade old Samsung lazor printor is stuffed full of cheap cartridges and soldiers on like a tank during these trying times. The thing sits in my garage covered in a thick layer of dust, submitted to extreme temperatures, but just bloody works, and the dodgy ebay toner cartridges last forever. It's a genuine shame they sold out their printer business to HP. When (if?) this one dies I'll defo try to get a new old stock Samsung.

Edited by nudistpete at 15:41:10 07-01-2021
  • freddymercurystwin 7 Jan 2021 15:46:07 2,371 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Another fail today, the youngest seems to have done most of his work which is great but we'll be lucky to get maybe 2 hours out of the eldest, it was like this in the spring in his final year of primary (ie he didn't want to know) but now it's much more hardcore with about 6 hours work to do each day but he still just thinks why should he bother, I see a lot of my younger self in him, unfortunately.

It's a cliche but it makes you feel such a failure at the end of each day.
  • monkman76 7 Jan 2021 15:46:14 17,700 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Coincidentally (not at all coincidentally) we're also looking for a printer. So a cheapish b&w laser is the way to go? What about this one?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8144913

Is the Instant Ink thing good or bad? Thanks EG hivemind.
  • freddymercurystwin 7 Jan 2021 16:01:36 2,371 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    God forbid any bit of work says "optional" or similar, it may as well not have been included at all!
  • Dougs 7 Jan 2021 16:03:13 97,448 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    'you might like to try'. Nah.
  • DJCopa 7 Jan 2021 16:13:43 2,464 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    ...It's a cliche but it makes you feel such a failure at the end of each day.
    No sunshine, all kids off at once and just general fatigue of the whole thing.

It does feel a lot harder this time, so you are by no means alone.
  • Immaterial 7 Jan 2021 16:21:14 2,493 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    After getting a cheapish webcam to attach to my desktop pc, he's spent almost the whole school day in front of the PC 'working' as far as I can tell, rather than dicking around the house chatting to his mates on his phone. Minor success- now all I need to do is check his web history on the PC...
  • Dirt3 7 Jan 2021 17:52:36 1,339 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Coincidentally (not at all coincidentally) we're also looking for a printer. So a cheapish b&w laser is the way to go? What about this one?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8144913

Is the Instant Ink thing good or bad? Thanks EG hivemind.
    I've got an older version of that and its great. You can leave it sitting for months, fire it up and it works fine apart from a bit of smell which goes away pdq.

I also have a colour A4 laser scanner copier which is great. These days you get so much paper. I just scan it all in, pdf it and then shred it.

Lasers for me all the way. Inkjets just clog up all the time. I have an A3 laser for the biz, which I got because I was fed up with replacing the inkjet carts on the A3. The carts are really expensive, but I hardly ever need to replace them. It weighs a ton though.

The only thing I would say is that if you are getting something for homework then you might want to consider colour because that can be used a lot in delimiting information. It may be worth getting a colour laser. The photo quality is not as good as inkjet, but its not bad.

Also if you intend to print a lot of pages, you might consider something heavier duty than that. Small carts are ok, but it works out more expensive than the bigger ones if you are replacing them all the time.

Edit : Oh yes, as well do you trust your kids not to burn through expensive carts. They are less likely to do that with mono than colour. maybe the cheapo one that they can use when they want and a colour one in Dads room that they have to ask to use.

Edited by Dirt3 at 17:58:28 07-01-2021

Edited by Dirt3 at 17:59:44 07-01-2021
  • crashVoodoo 7 Jan 2021 18:32:03 6,944 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Got fucked off and decided to just get a 'copy' of acrobat and he can now to annotate the pdfs. Save and send back via the portal. Winner.

I despise pointless printing

Edited by crashVoodoo at 18:33:58 07-01-2021
  • LukeChester 7 Jan 2021 21:18:32 2 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    Homeschooling can be a hardcore challenge. For both parents and children. One colleague of mine suggested teaching his son with his friends - this guy decided that if the kids study altogether, it will be more productive. I like his approach - the children learn their lessons quite quickly and have fun together after studying.
    Also, in my opinion, homeschooling is a good idea when a child is involved in it from early childhood. In other cases, parents should be ready for all pros and cons. For example, my sister decided to pay for the tutoring service to save her nerves...
  • MrWorf 7 Jan 2021 21:24:47 63,994 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Nexus_6 https://www.khanacademy.org/ is amazing, completely free lessons in a lot of subjects. From ealry learners to A-Level and University level topics. My young nephews use it to help with their Sciences. Missus and I used it to brush up on our Maths last year.

They also have daily lesson plans for home schooling

https://keeplearning.khanacademy.org/daily-schedule

Edited by MrWorf at 21:30:49 07-01-2021
  • kdsh7 7 Jan 2021 21:46:58 1,271 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've been using an iPad pro and it's been working out ok. Classes are run from Zoom and Google Classroom which can be run side by side split screen. And using Apple Pencil the boy can fill out homework sheets without us needing to print anything. Google Classroom lets you write on Powerpoint/Word/PDFs and we have the app PDF-Expert to also write on PDFs directly.

For anything done on paper we can just snap a photo from the iPad directly into Google Classroom.
  • Nexus_6 12 Jan 2021 10:01:24 5,685 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    So the first day of home schooling here was a mixed bag

The entire country jumping on to Teams meant it fell over pretty much straight away and made getting anything done online basically impossible for the majority of the day.
    Luckily the school had provided a pack of paper learning to fall back on with reading and writing assignments.
    Things improved late last night as the teacher uploaded today's work at about 2200 meaning it wasn't as busy and we could download the files and screenshot anything else we needed to use.

Today, the little class is upstairs doing work after the morning PE with Joe. Eerily quiet as well so better check there hasn't been a murder yet
  • mothercruncher 12 Jan 2021 10:45:46 18,715 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Feeling a bit trapped here- had plans for January, bit of work, DIY, tax return, general getting organised stuff. All out the window at 12 hours notice, Iím now in daily subordinating conjunction land and flailing about.
    I did first lockdown too, but that was a couple of A4 sheets of stuff to do for the week and, in hindsight, that flexibility was great. We used to bash through a fifth of the work each day by lunchtime and then go and do something more fun.
    Now, itís Teams call at 9:30 and again at 2:30, work to do in between and sometimes after, five days a week. I feel like Iíve taken on a second job, I guess I have.

Weíll get through it, but I suspect this is at least a couple of months and Iím still slightly in shock
  • Nexus_6 12 Jan 2021 10:53:31 5,685 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Guessing by the type of work yours are a bit older than mine at nearly 6?

Still feel pretty lucky - missed the home schooling first time round as he wasn't at school, and now it's only P1 so can cope with the letters and numbers stuff. I read the shit out the little story book too - easy.

Quite glad it's not integration of equations and all that crazy shit.
  • Dirt3 12 Jan 2021 11:25:58 1,339 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You won't do calculus until A level, at which point they can pretty much learn it by themselves.
  • PatrickEwing 12 Jan 2021 12:10:05 2,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Going back to printers, whatever you do. don't buy a Canon G7050, it's colour and it's fucking shit. Bought one in December and it's as if printing technology hasn't moved on in 20 years. Bar the addition of Wifi it's as frustrating as printers ever have been.

I was drawn to it by the bottle ink top up reservoir system but I'll be buggered if I can get it to print reliably. I'd say it takes a good 2-3 minutes to print one page, and I'll be lucky if that's a proper page, more than likely it'll make one page with 30-40mm at the top OK then rest blank then a couple of blank pages of paper then maybe it might print a proper page 3 or 4 pages in. Try to line up a good number of prints for each of the three kids daily worksheets and you might be there for an hour trying to get it sorted.

I don't know if it's faulty or just shit but every time i'm effing around with it I'm reminded of that cat vs printer youtube video.
  • Immaterial 12 Jan 2021 18:07:36 2,493 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Having managed to avoid any exercise through this and other lock downs, my youngest forced me to endure Joe Wicks for 25 mins for his PE lesson today.

Little shit. My youngest, that is.

Edited by Immaterial at 18:08:09 12-01-2021
  • freddymercurystwin 12 Jan 2021 18:24:26 2,371 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fuck home schooling right up the arse.
  • hedben2013 12 Jan 2021 18:50:47 1,906 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One of today's assignments in the online kids resource "phonics play" made my 5yo daughter decide whether "vag" is a real word
  • MrWorf 12 Jan 2021 21:03:49 63,994 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Immaterial Were you present for the fartgate?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9135941/PE-Joe-viewers-left-hysterics-Body-Coach-star-appears-break-wind-start-clip.html
  • Immaterial 12 Jan 2021 21:39:27 2,493 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Possibly. I was trying not to let the kid see how out of breath I was.

Edited by Immaterial at 21:39:48 12-01-2021
  • Immaterial 13 Jan 2021 13:45:58 2,493 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Second joe Wicks session. Is it rude to have a heart attack in front of a 10 year old?
    Also, I got moaned at by the missus for criticising our youngest child's approach to bear crawls and burpees. Apparently, it's enough that he does it, not that he does it the way it's being demonstrated by some excessively chirpy Londoner.

/victorian dad
  • freddymercurystwin 13 Jan 2021 19:02:49 2,371 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Parent evening tomorrow, Mr Mercury it appears that you're beloved darling has done sweet FA since the end of last year, yes I'm sorry about that do you know of any adoption agencies?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.