Following The PIGWHIP Challenge 2021 Page 53

• Wayne 25 May 2021 15:49:59 3,626 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've said it before, playing games isn't a fashion. There shouldn't be a concern about having the new popular thing.
  • Phattso 25 May 2021 15:55:30 27,232 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    I've said it before, playing games isn't a fashion. There shouldn't be a concern about having the new popular thing.
    Feels like you're inventing a bogeyman to point at. Who does that? I used to buy the new shiny because I wanted the new shiny - I've literally never met a person that used buying a popular game as a badge of honour for fear of being mocked if they don't?

Wanting to see the latest graphics, or a new multiplayer mode, or a new gameplay style... these are natural urges if you're a fan of games, and urges that are easily fulfilled. But unless what you really want/need at that moment is exactly that, you're likely to bin it off.

What I've learned is patience. Side effect is I've saved a fucktonne of money. Real win is that I enjoy what I play more, whether it's mainstream or not.
  • hedben2013 25 May 2021 16:32:22 2,098 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, when I talked about needing the new shiny earlier (Subnautica Below Zero), it was more about instant gratification on a game I was really excited about once I learned it had come out. The last game I bought brand new on release before that was Borderlands 3, and that was a mistake because I abandoned it after about 10 hours. The other 4 games I had slotted were all bought on heavy discount well after release...

...and even considering that, I screwed up - because XCom 2 was bought earlier this year for about £10 or £12, I haven't even started it yet, and it's now £6 in the Xbox sale this week.

Let's just say I'll be trying harder next year because I may need PIGWHIP more than I realise...
  • Wayne 25 May 2021 16:52:52 3,626 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Phattso I genuinely know people that won't play old games, and when I say old games, I'm talking anything more than 3 months old.

Personally, I prefer to wait about six months so the game drops in price and gets patched, but since I got involved in Game Savers podcast, I felt obliged to play more games at launch so we can do early impressions / reviews.
  • Phattso 25 May 2021 17:42:05 27,232 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    They sound like morons. Are they morons? :)
  • Wayne 25 May 2021 17:49:38 3,626 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Absolutely!
  • Phattso 25 May 2021 17:54:58 27,232 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    And you... you're comparing us to... to them. I mean. Claret would normally ensue at this point! :)
  • DuckBreaker 25 May 2021 19:03:26 289 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    All you Pigwhippers still under my soft downy wings of protection can delight in being definitely not a moron. Out there in the cold? You could well be a moron. Or surrounded by morons. Egging you on to be more like them.
    The fools. Little do they know, the Great Beast of gaming marketing is milking them daily. Milking them as they pre-order their season passes, as they spunk on massive collectors editions filled with tat, with their dlc skins, their barebones remasters of games they already own, their gems to speed up their repetitive pointless grinding.
    Stand apart. Stand proud, and glory in your magnificent self-control as a Pigwhipper!
  • OnlyJoeKing 26 May 2021 01:37:47 1,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm out. TLOU2 is on sale and the 60 fps patch is out and fuck me sideways, I have been dying to play this game. Any I'm a long way off 'finishing' any of my other 4. Which are:

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - brilliant, love it love it love it, but I'm not even halfway in.

Returnal - how do you even 'finish' this!? I left my PS5 in rest mode for a week because I got to the third biome and was afraid to fuck it up. Naturally, when I fired it up again, I had forgotten how to play it, and immediately died. Lol.

Radient Historia - what the fuck was I thinking. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Some nice, relaxing, handheld JRPG escapism. But it's really not been calling to me at all.

And Death Stranding - only just bought it. Too soon to say!

Circumstances have done for me a bit. Work has been oppressive this year. Barely had any free time at all. I have a week off coming up though, so I'm not going to pass up on this tiny sliver of escapism now. Anyway, there's my life story. Good luck comrades!
  • OnlyJoeKing 26 May 2021 05:59:38 1,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tell you what though, on closer inspection I have only put 1 hour, 36 minutes and 58 seconds into Radient Historia. Isn't there some 2 hour loophole? Perhaps I could just sack that off and delay the inevitable. What say ye, Mr duck sir?
  • OnlyJoeKing 26 May 2021 05:59:39 1,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tell you what though, on closer inspection I have only put 1 hour, 36 minutes and 58 seconds into Radient Historia. Isn't there some 2 hour loophole? Perhaps I could just sack that off and delay the inevitable. What say ye, Mr duck sir?
  • Blackmarsh63 26 May 2021 07:51:39 4,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @OnlyJoeKing You might be in luck if itís from your backlog. 🤔
  • Nazo 26 May 2021 08:06:39 1,835 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah that last glint of hope in the eyes of a dying Pigwhipper. 'But the 2 hour rule...' seeing it go out is a beautiful moment.
  • OnlyJoeKing 26 May 2021 09:15:49 1,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Blackmarsh63 it actually was! I should have really been more cautious...
  • Red_Bool 26 May 2021 09:51:33 2,270 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @OnlyJoeKing - I seem to recall the 2 hour rule is before you (have to) put it on your list. If you've already put it on your list, it is ON...YOUR...LIST...
  • OnlyJoeKing 26 May 2021 11:52:48 1,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The humane thing might be to just put me out of my misery at this point tbf
  • Phattso 26 May 2021 11:54:28 27,232 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Another Mayfly dazzles for a time and then drops to the ground, bereft of life and soul. Purchase in Peace.
  • Wayne 26 May 2021 12:22:11 3,626 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I keep telling myself "Don't bail until you actually fail".
  • Chug666 26 May 2021 14:23:08 765 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'd better add Banner Saga 2 to my list please- I need a switch game on the go for the half term family camping trip...
  • DuckBreaker 26 May 2021 17:54:20 289 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    OnlyJoeKing wrote:
    Nope. Once you announce it, it counts. The 2hr rule only counts while you are trying a backlog game BEFORE you announce it. You shot your load too soon it seems.
  • Phattso 26 May 2021 18:06:07 27,232 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    A less honourable participant would go back to the offending post and edit in a speculative chatter about the game in question. :)
  • DuckBreaker 26 May 2021 18:59:28 289 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Don't give then any ideas! But I'm sure all our pigwhippers are entirely honourable to the core.
  • DuckBreaker 26 May 2021 19:07:39 289 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    At the next update I will also be culling two more failures.

Mangojoe - who has completely forgotten about joining this thread for a SECOND YEAR RUNNING. Recently posted elsewhere about playing Rust for a few hours and has basically said nothing since filling all their slots at the start of the year. Dead.

tt_el_barto - who hasn't posted even once on this thread (joined on the long buried 'joining up thread'). I won't have anyone sleepwalk their way to victory, so they will also be very Pigwhip...Dead.

No mercy for the time wasters!

Edited by DuckBreaker at 19:11:15 26-05-2021
  • Saul_Iscariot 26 May 2021 20:55:33 4,347 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Vortex808 Hours and hours, at one point it was the only game I played for about three weeks. I have now deleted the save and started the game again. It might be I have missed something I can do that will make the difficult section easier.

I have spoken with people that assured me that the part that I am stuck on is quite tricky but doable.
  • ryanclayton 26 May 2021 21:44:01 121 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished dragon age inquisition. 🎯
    Started playing control so add it to the list. Itís decent innit.
  • JoelStinty 26 May 2021 22:00:48 9,471 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished Resi 8 this evening, so if that could come off my list that be great. A mixed bag, enjoyed it all the way through, itís nothing short of entertaining but itís bonkers. For better and worse.

Not sure on a replacement yet. Suspect it be ratchet and clank or FF7 yuffie Dlc
  • Vortex808 26 May 2021 22:41:02 15,247 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    @Vortex808 It might be I have missed something I can do that will make the difficult section easier.

I have spoken with people that assured me that the part that I am stuck on is quite tricky but doable.
    Good luck!

Hope you get by the bottleneck, or get permission to bin it.
  • OnlyJoeKing 26 May 2021 23:05:39 1,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DuckBreaker wrote:
    OnlyJoeKing wrote:
    Nope. Once you announce it, it counts. The 2hr rule only counts while you are trying a backlog game BEFORE you announce it. You shot your load too soon it seems.
    That's totally fair, I guess. Story of my life, lol.

I will endeavour to follow the PIGWHIP doctrine all the same.
  • Saul_Iscariot 27 May 2021 06:57:10 4,347 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Vortex808 I have no intention of binning. What I played so far is great, and one of the best looking Switch games I have played. It is just a pain in the behind. But in the back of my mind I recall other games that have had me stumped, that a bit of a break from I beat first go.
  • Red_Bool 27 May 2021 07:24:54 2,270 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I dusted off my 3DS yesterday. Since I have some free slots, please add this one from ye olde backlog:
    🦆 Pullblox (3DS)

Still a bunch of levels to go. Solved one puzzle yesterday, now I'm hooked again.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.