Following The PIGWHIP Challenge 2021 Page 28

• wuntyate 23 Feb 2021 18:45:02 16,586 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ahem

DuckBreaker wrote:
    @wuntyate
    I am giving you a last minute reprieve as your completion rate for the MD games was more reasonable than your dodgy initial presentation suggested. Talk about digging yourself a hole to fall in!
    But my beady eye is watching you. If you listen carefully you might just hear a sinister , distant quacking...
  • Murbs 23 Feb 2021 18:49:40 25,020 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Safe to renew ps+ without impacting my list?
  • HelloNo 23 Feb 2021 19:24:23 2,265 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cross Fallout 76 off the list please, got to level 50 :)

Think I'm gonna play through some old, finished games before picking my next slot, and try and get on with Stardew...
  • RyanDS 23 Feb 2021 20:18:13 13,851 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DuckBreaker wrote:
    Wayne wrote:
    Iíve a question.

Can I buy a PlayStation 5* if all my slots are filled?
    The plan would be to purchase it but not unbox it until I have a free slot (which would inevitably be taken up by AstroBot**)

*letís face it, the chances are slim

**itís a free game, so I wouldnít be purchasing a game, Iíd be purchasing a console that just happens to come with a free game.
    There was a rebellion in the ranks last year and I eventually let Astrobot slide, though it might have been too late for some. heh heh

In your case, if you are able to snap up a new PS5 at RRP, then no slot is needed until you start a new game on it. If you are paying some scalper top dollar, then you deserve a big pigwhip failure for such foolishness.
    I Call fowl! I was ejected as I bought but did not install games.

Anyway, in my own head I am really enjoying the challenge. Although (unfairly) ejected I am still abiding by the rules and it really has upped my enjoyment of games this year.
  • Saul_Iscariot 23 Feb 2021 21:01:33 4,169 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    There's a decent AssCreed sale on the Xbox dashboard this week. The devil on my left shoulder is saying I could get AC Odyssey, and chain Syndicate into Origins into Odyssey this year.

I probably won't do it. Probably.
    I was thinking along those lines when I saw TLoU 2 for £15. Then recalled I hadnít played the first game when I picked it up on PS3 and 4. It might be cheap but I donít think I would start it in the near future.
  • crashVoodoo 23 Feb 2021 21:17:27 7,075 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Ahem

DuckBreaker wrote:
    @wuntyate
    I am giving you a last minute reprieve as your completion rate for the MD games was more reasonable than your dodgy initial presentation suggested. Talk about digging yourself a hole to fall in!
    But my beady eye is watching you. If you listen carefully you might just hear a sinister , distant quacking...
  • Wayne 24 Feb 2021 00:10:29 2,624 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My girlfriend was playing TitanFall 2 tonight and I reeeeeaaally want to play it now, but no free slot. Booooo!
  • Saul_Iscariot 24 Feb 2021 01:54:39 4,169 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Murbs wrote:
    Safe to renew ps+ without impacting my list?
    As long as you do not download the games, I think that is fine.
  • crashVoodoo 24 Feb 2021 08:07:24 7,075 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    My girlfriend was playing TitanFall 2 tonight and I reeeeeaaally want to play it now, but no free slot. Booooo!
    OH was playing wreckfest at the weekend. She never plays games o_0
  • Technoishmatt 24 Feb 2021 09:28:14 4,977 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't understand this year's pigwhip, glad I am not signed up.

Surely replaying previously completed games for a lark (assume TF2 is not a new one to you) is all good and fine?
  • monkman76 24 Feb 2021 09:30:46 18,095 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You'd think. It seems to have gone a little puritanical to me this year. Like the overzealous second in command has finally pushed the benevolent founder aside.
  • Phattso 24 Feb 2021 09:52:22 26,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    I don't understand this year's pigwhip, glad I am not signed up.

Surely replaying previously completed games for a lark (assume TF2 is not a new one to you) is all good and fine?
    I mean, yeah. And that's literally always been the case. Not once in the four odd years we've been doing this has someone been denied playing something they've finished.
  • wuntyate 24 Feb 2021 09:57:57 16,586 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It may be dated back to the discussion I had last month about Resident Evil 2 and if it should go on my list or not as I've already played and finished it. I think with pre-completed games it's a case of "it could potentially go on as it's something else you're actively playing - but you don't have to". I'm happy if they're not though otherwise I really am fucked considering I'm dipping in and out of The Division 2 and Destiny again as well - which I've absolutely rinsed in the past - but I don't think you should be penalised for firing something up and messing about in it if you've already had your money's worth in the past.

Edited by wuntyate at 09:58:12 24-02-2021
  • Red_Bool 24 Feb 2021 09:59:03 2,214 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Where in the rules does it say that this is not allowed?
    If you've completed TF2 before then by all means, have a blast!

But then the real question should be:
    Did user Wayne actually complete TF2 before? Well!?
  • monkman76 24 Feb 2021 10:00:54 18,095 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To be fair I think you do have to count it if you buy it again on a different system. Or you buy a remaster. I've counted Mario 3D World on Switch, even though I've already finished the Wii U version.
  • Nazo 24 Feb 2021 10:05:01 1,703 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think it's any more strict than in previous years, it maybe seems that way due to an increase in chancers trying their luck on and getting shot down.
  • monkman76 24 Feb 2021 10:12:22 18,095 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's just on every page there's an enforcer answering a question in a way that makes me think "this hobby is supposed to be fun, not work". Maybe it's not for me at the moment I guess.
  • Phattso 24 Feb 2021 10:12:47 26,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    I don't think it's any more strict than in previous years, it maybe seems that way due to an increase in chancers trying their luck on and getting shot down.
    I mean, it's literally the same as last year but with an extra slot and a little more generosity around bundled shit. Definitely chancer central! :-D
  • dominalien 24 Feb 2021 10:19:35 10,324 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    It's just on every page there's an enforcer answering a question in a way that makes me think "this hobby is supposed to be fun, not work". Maybe it's not for me at the moment I guess.
    Hey, like everything in life, it's not for everyone. Except death. Death is for everyone. This is not death. This is work, hard gruelling work. Erm, not work. Fun! This is fun.

All hail the DuckBreaker!
  • dominalien 24 Feb 2021 10:28:30 10,324 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    In seriousness, though, it's all about deciding whether buying games you then play 10 years later or never is a problem for you or not. And fun. Fun is paramount.
  • monkman76 24 Feb 2021 10:43:51 18,095 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's making me feel like I have to get to the end of games I'm playing, which I think is having a negative effect on my enjoyment. I bought Division 2 for £7.50 for example and I've probably put a good 10-12 hours into it already. If I never fire it up again I'd still say that was a good purchase. I don't want to get to the point another ten hours in where I'm no longer enjoying it but feel like I have to keep playing it (ahead of something I might actually enjoy) just to get the 🎯

But that's just me right now I guess. You lot carry on :)
  • wuntyate 24 Feb 2021 10:44:06 16,586 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It should be fun, of course, but lets face it, those of us that are taking on the challenge are doing so because we can't stop fucking well buying games we don't get round to playing. And, like errant children grabbing mint clubs from the biscuit tin half an hour before dinner, we occasionally need our hands slapped.
  • wuntyate 24 Feb 2021 10:47:24 16,586 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @monkman76 I know what you're saying, and it's for that reason alone I didn't even end up partaking last year. It's the old "money spent : fun" ratio isn't it. Maybe the challenge isn't right for those of us who have had our fill before getting to the end of some games.

You could also argue is it our fault games are so bloody long that it goes far beyond the realms of enjoyment.

Maybe there should be an allowance for time spent on a game?

Because there is the danger that we'll only end up choosing games that are short and missing out on great gaming experiences.

Why are games so damn big now :(

Edited by wuntyate at 10:48:58 24-02-2021
  • dominalien 24 Feb 2021 10:48:57 10,324 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's not a gulag, you don't have to come in and once you're in you don't have to stay. Seriously.
  • wuntyate 24 Feb 2021 10:50:14 16,586 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Okay sure whatever you say. Just let me know when it's my turn for 10 minutes of daylight and a bowl of mush. I think there's something crawling on my leg. If only I could see.
  • Nazo 24 Feb 2021 11:03:19 1,703 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think actually completing games is a requirement is it? As long as you're honest with yourself that you've got you wanted out of it and aren't just giving up because new shiny shiny or you've made a terrible mistake and don't like the game then I reckon you're good.
  • Phattso 24 Feb 2021 11:09:31 26,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    I don't think actually completing games is a requirement is it? As long as you're honest with yourself that you've got you wanted out of it and aren't just giving up because new shiny shiny or you've made a terrible mistake and don't like the game then I reckon you're good.
    On the nose.
  • monkman76 24 Feb 2021 11:16:20 18,095 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fair enough. I think it's good to reiterate that point now and then. :)
  • Phattso 24 Feb 2021 11:21:57 26,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    But your time in The Division 2 is shameful. Get on it. And join our clan. :)
  • monkman76 24 Feb 2021 11:25:14 18,095 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh I haven't finished yet, still enjoying it. I'm about to hit the western half of the map. Might be a bit low level for your l33t clan though.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.