Following Resident Evil 8 (Village) Page 12

• wuntyate 4 May 2021 13:15:34 16,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I fucking LOVED CV when I bought it for my dreamcast but haven't played it again since. Funnily enough I won that in my PS library as well but I'm too scared to fire it up as I want to keep my happy memories of it. I recall how amazing I thought it looked at the time, being all proper 3D, and with the excellent lighting.
  • SnackPlissken 4 May 2021 13:24:58 3,199 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I completed it last year again. For the most part it is classic RE but the story is pretty weak. I think the nostalgia is more you get to play as Claire, then Chris.. and Wesker is involved. At the time that was pretty jaw dropping. Then you've got Steve.. yeah enough said about Steve.

Also the end boss is proper BS. You try aiming that rocket launcher at the boss first try...
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 May 2021 13:40:19 17,514 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think CV suffers a lot from going full 3D. The environments are all pretty lifeless, ugly and mostly quite small.

The story is the first big jump the series took into stupid over the top pantomime villainy too.

And its the first without any really iconic moments.

Iím glad Sony waggled their ďwe demand 3 numbered titles on PS1 cardĒ because this wouldíve been a very weak addition to the main series if released as intended
  • Tonka 4 May 2021 14:09:29 31,798 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    RE4 is my favourite game of all time, clunky controls and all. I loved the cheesy b-movie plot. Haven't played any resi games since.

Not sure what this one is supposed to be, the trailer didn't really do it for me.
    Bit surprising - going by the village demo, this feels the closest Resident Evil has felt to 4 since, well, 4. I've nto seen the trailer you refer to, mind.
    I looked at some gameplayfootage now and it seems you are right. That looked better than the trailer I saw. I got the faulty impression that it would all be inside a big old musty castle, but now I saw there will be varied settings.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 May 2021 14:26:14 17,514 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    From the trailer and demo Iím guessing weíve had sight of at least three locations - the village, the castle, and some kind of mine(?).

Iím going to assume at least one more outdoor location, plus whatever that Lord of the Rings looking altar and statues place is at the start of the trailer
  • Wayne 4 May 2021 14:37:20 3,362 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If the last section isn't an underground lab, is it even Resident Evil?
  • Rhaegyr 4 May 2021 14:42:50 5,428 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No doubt it'll be shit, like all final sections of RE games.
  • Darth_Flibble 4 May 2021 17:53:30 5,209 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    I fucking LOVED CV when I bought it for my dreamcast but haven't played it again since. Funnily enough I won that in my PS library as well but I'm too scared to fire it up as I want to keep my happy memories of it. I recall how amazing I thought it looked at the time, being all proper 3D, and with the excellent lighting.
    The game really needs a proper remaster as capcom have done the bare minimum to the port (like they did with RE4 on 360 and last gen consoles). The fog on the helicopter pad looks awful now and makes the boss fight harder due to the weapon you need to use
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 May 2021 17:53:47 17,514 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Village downloaded and countdown ticking
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 May 2021 17:55:28 17,514 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    wuntyate wrote:
    The game really needs a proper remaster as capcom have done the bare minimum to the port (like they did with RE4 on 360 and last gen consoles). The fog on the helicopter pad looks awful now and makes the boss fight harder due to the weapon you need to use
    Iíd be up for it getting a polish or even a full remake. Reimagine the loopier bits and get away from those Playmobil character models.
  • spookyxelectric 4 May 2021 18:06:32 408 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I always hoped the R3make rumours were wrong and that we'd get Code Veremakea instead (sorry).
    Kind of still hoping that with the rumours of the RE4make surfacing.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 May 2021 18:45:26 17,514 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yahtzee said on something last week that he thought the RE4make had been binned but ideas from it rolled into 8
  • Humperfunk 4 May 2021 19:57:21 8,557 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I assumed the RE4 remake turned out to be this VR one they announced the other day...
  • Darth_Flibble 4 May 2021 20:13:18 5,209 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The VR RE4 is not a remake, its just RE4 with VR stuff. I can't see the actual RE4 remake getting binned as its easy money for capcom. If they do remake 4, they need to do more rather than just remake it scene for scene or cut stuff out like they did with RE3
  • ChiefGB 4 May 2021 20:29:44 13,658 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This one feels nice and gothic. Iím quite keen on the whole witches and werewolves hammer horror vibe it has going on. But these arenít really games that feel part of canon anymore.
  • JamboWayOh 4 May 2021 20:34:20 23,811 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Resi 4 remake is a thing there were leaked screenshots. The only difference is that it's been taken in-house Capcom after a milestone check. Essentially the outsourced studio, the same who made Resi 3 remake, were remaking 4 beat for beat and Capcom wanted to keep it in line with Resi 2 where some things were changed to keep the pacing up. Basically do not expect it till around the 2023 the earliest.

Resi 8 was supposed to be something akin to Revelations, like a side project, but it was going so well that Capcom just made it a numbered edition.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 May 2021 20:52:30 17,514 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know Iíve said its not one of my favourites but even if it was there are some sections that are so dated youíd have to remove them from a 4 remakr
  • JamboWayOh 4 May 2021 20:57:03 23,811 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From what I've read they want to keep the remakes together with the same serious tone as the 2 and 3 so things like the walking Salazar statue would DEFINITELY be removed.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 May 2021 21:24:10 17,514 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I donít think anything Salazar related would fit the tone of 2 and 3. The castle, the catapult turret section, the statue, the insectoid monks, dressing as Napoleon.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 May 2021 21:25:13 17,514 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The way they move

https://www.pcgamer.com/resident-evil-villages-demo-lasted-long-enough-to-add-a-barney-mod/
  • the_milkybar_kid 4 May 2021 21:37:12 8,426 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Part of what made 7 for me was there semi realistic setting and antagonist. Being chased by some werewolf doesn't hold the same threat as some Midwestern yokel with an axe. I appreciate the turn they're taking but I think the tension will suffer by there reduculous characters. Much like the end of 7.
  • ZuluHero 4 May 2021 23:48:35 10,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Actually just played through both village and castle, took 20mins apiece, wasn't as scary as the first demo. Only time I panicked was the 2nd encounter with the vampire lady. It was weird seeing the first demo locations in reverse. Had a proper sense of dread as I wormed my way into the cells.

Really enjoyed castle, though it made me long for a remake of the first game in that style.

Even though I thought it would be too scary, I'm actually pretty tempted now.

Edited by ZuluHero at 23:49:58 04-05-2021
  • davidfowles 5 May 2021 10:27:35 439 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Iíll be outraged if they remove a single beat from RE4, except for every QuickTime event.
  • Load_2.0 5 May 2021 11:06:39 33,052 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Id even keep the quicktime, sure they were awful on a first playthrough but I feel like they added something.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 May 2021 11:23:38 17,514 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Put more in, do TellTaleís Resident Evil 4
  • creepiest-lizard 5 May 2021 11:35:15 2,417 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whens the review embargo up for this lil fella then?
  • DakeyrasUK 5 May 2021 11:46:52 5,123 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    4pm I think
  • SnackPlissken 5 May 2021 11:48:37 3,199 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mine has shipped so hopefully be here tomorrow
  • wuntyate 5 May 2021 12:11:25 16,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I notice mine has shipped as well. Not expecting it til Friday though as shit takes ages to get to me up here.
  • Switch-v85 5 May 2021 12:28:51 4,287 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopefully mine's about to ship too as they've taken the money. Going away next week so getting it a day early would be a nice bonus.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.