Dyson Sphere Program Page 2

• crashVoodoo 18 Mar 2021 11:17:25 7,154 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    the items i'm finding that are big in demand are iron, copper and coal.

I have 2 belts of iron plates running down my bus with a separate run off to churn our loads of rings which is fed back into the bus and onwards to create magnetic coil rings. 2 belts of copper plate

I have a whole sperate area for churning coal into energetic carbon because damn this shit is popular. i did have loads of power stations munching through coal but i'm moving over to a 'solar belt' due to the carbon demand.

I've finally got graphene setup as well and i'm starting diamonds, both need carbon hence my transition to going full 'gree' with solar-wind

I can get lost in this game for hours

Edited by crashVoodoo at 11:24:22 18-03-2021
  • crashVoodoo 20 Mar 2021 12:15:38 7,154 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Finally got yellow science up and running ...

Edited by crashVoodoo at 12:16:04 20-03-2021
  • neems 20 Mar 2021 14:04:16 5,293 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice, your set-up ( what I can see of it) looks a lot cleaner than mine. Mine looks like an explosion in several pipe factories.
  • crashVoodoo 20 Mar 2021 15:10:39 7,154 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    The organisation is coming together but my initial setup looks like a snake lair. Now that I've unlocked planetary logistics towers, the one in the middle there, Im dotting them all over. I'm now going to start abusing them I think because they make things loads easier.

I have small mining ops all over the globe where I mine the raw materials and dump them into a station that are set to supply.

I can then just plop down a new station, demand ore, pipe off to a battery of smelters and then feed the output back into the tower which is them made available through my.logistics network. I love it

Now I have the yellows, I'm going intergalactic with my logistics.
  • neems 20 Mar 2021 17:00:33 5,293 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've skipped planetary logistics and jumped straight to interplanetary, although I didn't initially notice that the ships only have capacity for 200 resources. Something tells me I'll need more than three ships.
  • Benno 20 Mar 2021 19:39:22 11,808 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tried the first 20 minutes of this and it felt a bit too much like work. Does this pass at any point? I am new to this genre (factorio style games) so maybe they're just not for me
  • crashVoodoo 20 Mar 2021 19:42:23 7,154 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Oddly enough the idea is such that you automate like a boss so you don't have to work for it.

If you find yourself running all over all the time then you're doing something wrong.

Your starter setup will probably resemble a jumbled up snakey mess but after you get head around it you should have a nice pipeline of stuff where you need/want it for easy pickup

Edited by crashVoodoo at 19:50:43 20-03-2021
  • neems 20 Mar 2021 19:52:25 5,293 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I do an awful lot of micro management, but really the idea is that you set up everything to maximise efficiency, first locally, then globally, then interplanetary. I gather you can travel to other star systems? The task is so mammoth that automation is a must.

I'm loving it personally.
  • crashVoodoo 20 Mar 2021 20:15:32 7,154 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah I've got 2 massive mining operations on a local lava moon and have to keep nipping over for the titanium and silicon.

Got one more trip to drop off the interstellar station and shuttles and then that's it. Deliveries inbound.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 20:15:58 20-03-2021
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 20 Mar 2021 22:58:04 429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    OK, it's clicked, I am addicted! Have spent pretty much all of today tinkering with this, fell out with Mrs RLY because I spent so long playing it while I was supposed to be doing jobs or something. Thanks chaps for the encouragement, it is definitely worth getting over the initial hump. Only got as far as blue matrices and things are looking very snakey to say the least, but damn me this drags you back in.
  • Flying_Pig 21 Mar 2021 11:51:34 16,889 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I bought this yesterday and struggled for the first hour or so - constantly having to use my robot to collect resources and craft materials (same as Benno by the sounds of it) but after watching a few videos last night I now get how this game is meant to be played - the focus seeming to be on maximising automation for the materials you need.

I think the game is a but thin on explain this and also how to get the conveyors and selectors working.

But now I get it, I'm itching to get back in
  • neems 21 Mar 2021 12:55:09 5,293 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wait until you need Titanium.
  • crashVoodoo 21 Mar 2021 19:10:13 7,154 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah titanium and silicon are the first real hurdles.

I've spent an ungodly amount of time on this today. I now have full interstellar logistics shuttling titanium and silicon in.

I've restarted my building again from the equator section as it's 16 squares wide and has scope for expansion. 6x6 creating iron ingots and dumping them into a planetary logistics tower, back out and into 6x3 creating steel and then again back into the tower.

Repeated this for copper, rings, magnetic rings, gears, and motors. All this shit is now requestable anywhere on the planet. I have so much more I want to do.
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 21 Mar 2021 19:18:29 429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What stage do you get off the first planet? I've just researched red matrices, and am currently using vast amounts of resources trying to squeeze a few morsels of silicon out of stone.
  • Flying_Pig 21 Mar 2021 19:50:05 16,889 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Totally hooked now. I've only just got to the blue block stage, but am unlocking so many extra components. Unfortunately my existing logistics and manufacturing set up didn't really account for further expansion, so the next step might be tricky...

Shame I've got work tomorrow :(
  • crashVoodoo 21 Mar 2021 20:05:38 7,154 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Drive engine upgrades are what you need.

DE1 unlocks flight on same planet.
    DE2 unlocks sail mode so you can exit the atmosphere and 'sail' to other objects in orbit of the local star.

I haven't gone beyond that yet, since my research has slowed down due to my refined oil setup being inadequate now and needs a rebuild.
  • Lukree 21 Mar 2021 20:18:38 574 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Btw do not transport pure titanium - process it and then deliver it processed!
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 21 Mar 2021 20:25:30 429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @crashVoodoo Thanks - got DE1, will work towards DE2 now. If, that is, I don't succumb to what I always do with this type of game - endlessly restarting and replaying the early game trying to get it 'just right', to the point of never actually seeing the mid- or end- game...
  • crashVoodoo 21 Mar 2021 20:27:59 7,154 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @RaymondLuxuryYacht yeah don't do that. The started planet is just to get your bearings, feel free to bin the planet off and continue elsewhere and then come back and bulldoze your original mess. That is currently what I'm doing except on the other hemisphere :-)

I think the only time you'll get it just right is when you gone past the early stages into mid/late game and you understand the scale at which stuff has to be built to.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 20:38:13 21-03-2021
  • crashVoodoo 21 Mar 2021 20:30:48 7,154 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Lukree wrote:
    Same with silicon. Additionally if they're substantial setups, just lob down a logistics tower and shuttle ore to it when the veins are dry. This is what I've done with my new iron and copper setups.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 20:34:07 21-03-2021
  • neems 21 Mar 2021 21:43:49 5,293 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Lukree wrote:
    Same with silicon. Additionally if they're substantial setups, just lob down a logistics tower and shuttle ore to it when the veins are dry. This is what I've done with my new iron and copper setups.
    Yeah this occurred to me after I started shipping ore 😀

I am currently shipping both but I will sort it at some point, I have bigger fish to fry.
  • crashVoodoo 22 Mar 2021 00:18:12 7,154 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    discovered a bit of a game changer with the energy exchanger & accumulators. they're giant duracell rechargable setups.

i've got rid of ALL of my windmills and my solar belt on my home planet and replaced it with 3 energy exchangers at one of my poles that discharge the accumulators (essentially batteries) into my grid.

i've re-created the solar belt on my lava planet connected to 4 energy exchangers at a pole that charge the accumulators. this planet is going to be renamed to energiser moon

both ends are hooked to an interplanetary logistic tower (ILT i'm sick of typing it), the lava one is demanding empty batteries to charge them and the home planet is demanding full batteries.

when i finally progress onto a new planet i can just drop in with an ILT and some exchangers and just ship in a fuckton of batteries as required.
  • Flying_Pig 22 Mar 2021 08:23:49 16,889 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought I'd have a quick half an hour on this last night just before 11pm. Suddenly 2 hours had passed...

At least I've unlocked the red cubes - I just need to build the infrastructure to make them now.

Is it also worth expanding my blue cube manufacturing or is that now broadly redundant?
  • Scimarad 22 Mar 2021 08:26:13 9,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @crashVoodoo

I think it goes without saying that you have to ELO the top of your planet, given the option:)
  • crashVoodoo 22 Mar 2021 11:10:32 7,154 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    So much i want to do in this game. Everywhere I look in my initial setup i just hampered by the lack of space that I left myself and I have snaking belts going all over. I tried to recreate a main bus thing like I had in factorio but that is just not efficient enough for the scale required here.

I've just brought electronic chips, the next blue ones and processors back online 'at scale' and pumped them into a tower to shuttle everywhere.

Going to ramp up the Duracell production as I only have 400 and they took ages to craft in my little robot replicator. I want a surplus if charged ones to be swapping with the empty ones and not just 'in transit'
  • neems 22 Mar 2021 16:12:00 5,293 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am investigating the possibilities of infinite hydrogen generation, both for ease of red matrix production / research but also power. I only just discovered that you can burn hydrogen in a thermal generator, and you can daisy chain the generators together and skip the conveyor belt.

Looking at deutorium rods for long term though, seem very powerful once you get the supply up and running.
  • crashVoodoo 22 Mar 2021 19:54:59 7,154 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I recommend hydrogen rods as a good easy power source for the mecha as well. It burns really slowly but the charge rate is great. Have a few as a backup and you easily forget that power is a thing.

Hydrogen + titanium ingots
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 22 Mar 2021 20:09:24 429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    OK so I restarted, OCD got the better of me again... at least now I have a small but super-neat iron ore to iron ingots layout...
  • Flying_Pig 22 Mar 2021 20:27:23 16,889 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I got my red cube production up and running nicely but couldn't figure out why my red cube research wasn't working like my blue one.

I bit of googling and I've realised that for research which required red and blue cubes needs for them to be red into the same matrix thing.... Unfortunately my blue cube production is miles away from my red one -_-

I think I also need to consolidate my item storage into one location. Things are ok for the early (pre-blue cube) stuff, but since then my production is much more adhoc and dotted around everywhere.

There's a part of me which is also itching bin the whole lot and start again, but instead I'm just promising myself my next planet will be tidier... :)
  • crashVoodoo 22 Mar 2021 23:35:09 7,154 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    You need matrix labs to create the jelly cubes and then another set of labs to actually consume them for the research hashing.

I have 36 for creation, 12 each of blue, red and yellow jellies dotted in various places. These are then shuttled to one of the poles where I have another 18 (as seen in my screenshot) to consume them for research purposes.

Ok the topic of restarting, just start using the other hemisphere of your home planet if you need to. Transition your old setup to new locations and slowly erase and rebuild new infrastructure.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 23:38:23 22-03-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.