Dyson Sphere Program Page 3

• crashVoodoo 22 Mar 2021 23:41:08 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I wanted a quick reference for my second monitor while playing. I googled and found this, it's not perfect as it doesn't have all the buildings on its useful.

https://dsp-wiki.com/images/d/d9/Recipe_Quick_Reference.jpg

Edited by crashVoodoo at 23:44:28 22-03-2021
  • Flying_Pig 23 Mar 2021 07:31:45 16,889 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    You need matrix labs to create the jelly cubes and then another set of labs to actually consume them for the research hashing.

I have 36 for creation, 12 each of blue, red and yellow jellies dotted in various places. These are then shuttled to one of the poles where I have another 18 (as seen in my screenshot) to consume them for research purposes.
    Yeah, I think that's exactly what I'm gonna have to do too.
  • neems 23 Mar 2021 07:37:29 5,293 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Of course there are two more matrices to worry about later 😀
  • crashVoodoo 23 Mar 2021 10:56:06 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    6 in total, blue, red, yellow, purple, green and white
  • neems 23 Mar 2021 11:00:35 5,293 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The legendary white matrix... I thought it was a myth!
  • crashVoodoo 23 Mar 2021 11:58:30 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    😂
  • crashVoodoo 24 Mar 2021 23:39:27 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I have built a mahoosive mall with 10 IPL towers and 1 PL tower.

It will manufacture everything i need at any given time and then stock them up so they can be called to any planet i decide to trundle off to. mk3 belts and sorters are in and there is a sport for the mk3 assembler that i havent unlocked yet.

I've also extended the power generation on my lava planet and created a nice system for requesting the empty batteries, charging them and sending them back out. I've also built an area at the side that creates new batteries. If any spaces appear on the belt then obviously i've depolyed a new exchanger to meet power demand so the new batteries will be put into the 'loop' and additional batteries will be created.

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

Edited by crashVoodoo at 23:39:49 24-03-2021
  • crashVoodoo 25 Mar 2021 09:02:59 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Turns out the massive iron, rings, magnetic ring production I put in place are still under prepared for the demand I made on them later with other stuff :-/
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 25 Mar 2021 11:05:57 429 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Loving your enthusiasm for this, now that it's bitten me I feel the same way too. I'm a long way further back, but very proud of my neat little two miner iron plate/magnet/gear production area. Also have not re-started in nearly 24 hours now, so this is a triumph.
  • crashVoodoo 25 Mar 2021 11:10:45 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @RaymondLuxuryYacht Im hooked in like no other game has had me for years

I'm so far along now that a restart would be a set back. I'm trying to sort production out now because the scale is getting huge, seriously considering setting up shop on the planet on the outer most ring as it's 95% buildable land and just going all in with hemisphere sized factories for the basics.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 11:22:29 25-03-2021

Edited by crashVoodoo at 12:45:07 25-03-2021
  • neems 25 Mar 2021 11:33:58 5,293 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My bespoke, artisanal Dyson Sphere Program is an absolute mess 😀

I have weird test areas, and conveyer belts than run half the world. I got really excited about launching solar sails for power generation, then discovered that without upgrades they only last half an hour and the ray receiver uses more power than it generates.

I might actually start again, I think what I really want is a solar system with more planets (or I could take a look at interstellar travel I suppose).
  • crashVoodoo 25 Mar 2021 12:42:40 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Seriously, take what you've learned and rebuild around the planet and then slowly take your original mess apart.

I guarantee what you build next time isn't of the scale you require and you'll just want to restart again.

If you have PLTs, plonk one down on the other hemisphere, and then demand ore. Belt it out to a ream of smelters (I did 6x6) but leave yourself scope to expand to around 6x21 (or more, I didn't leave the room). Then belt the iron back into the PLT and set to supply.

Repeat.

Build east to west as north to south suffers grid crush at the poles or alignment issues as you cross the faultlines.

From the equator heading towards either pole you have 16 tiles of juicy land before a faultline. Then 10 tiles and reducing. Stick to these for your bulk items as you have clean width to build in.
  • neems 25 Mar 2021 13:19:10 5,293 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That genuinely sounds mental. I wish there was an upgraded or just plain larger smelter, maybe there'll be some more factory upgrades somewhere down the development path.

So the planet that I import my titanium / silicon from also has iron, I think I might convert the whole thing into ore production.

Edited by neems at 13:24:46 25-03-2021
  • crashVoodoo 25 Mar 2021 14:26:51 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It's still early access so there is scope for them to add more things.

I assume an upgraded smelter will appear at some point.
    I'm also hoping for some blueprint/copy paste mechanics and also drag to.place appears.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 14:27:31 25-03-2021
  • Flying_Pig 25 Mar 2021 19:57:51 16,889 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm also completly hooked on this. I've spend the last day or so (only a few hours in reality) trying to optimise my hydrogen production to up my red cube output. I've also built a ring of solar panels around the equator.

But I've now got to the point where I need titanium and need to head off planet, so that's the next task, but I could happily spend hours just tinkering and making sure everything is running smoothly.
  • crashVoodoo 25 Mar 2021 20:23:20 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I eagerly await your next enthusiastic when you've watched a logistic vessel return with the goods from another world and it all comes hosing out on a belt before your eyes.

It was this point that so many possibilities darted through my head.
  • Anhunedd 26 Mar 2021 09:43:11 96 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I keep having moments where I add a new item to my manufacturing setup, and it exhausts all the previous stocks in the chain leading up to it, despite there being 5000 or more of everything in place (in LTs). Typical factory game then :)

Some comments on notes before - I did try using accumulators as transportable batteries, but the annoying thing is that although they charge as exepected (use all spare power) they discharge at the full 45MW whatever the power demand actually is, so always last just 2 seconds each. So you need at least to match each remote planet using them with a charger at your power planet, and actually, typically need one spare charger. Kind of hoped it would be more intelligent than that, and only really need me to add more charging capability as demand ramped up in total. Hopefully it's a bug that will be fixed.

I've also been experimenting with smelting as a service - an LT feeding lots of smelters and supplying the ingots in return. I reckon that for iron as an example that's 180 smelters to max the system out, as that would use up six inputs of iron ore on Mk III belts (30/s each) and receive six corresponding full belts of iron ingots. I'm currently on 400 units per logistics ship, so that's going to need one every 2 seconds or so to ship that lot out to av manufacturing planet! And with 50 units per planetary drone, that will need nearly 4 of those per second to ferry ore from around the planet - it will be like a swarm!
  • crashVoodoo 26 Mar 2021 12:17:49 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Anhunedd

EDIT: just realised what I think may be your problem. if you're charging on the same planet within the same grid as you're discharging into then yes, your batteries are essentially discharging into the grid to then charge another battery up. You need them on seperate grids.

ORIGINAL:it's possible you're needing more.power than a single exchanger is outputting. Mine are discharging at the rate of demand split by the number of exchangers I have on site. Currently my setup is like so:

On my lava planet I have 24 exchangers setup to charge batteries from the local power grid. I'm generating 200mw (solar/wind) but only using around 6mw in production.

I have a ILT that receives empty batteries and spits them out onto a conveyor that loops around all 24 exchangers with splitters to dump the batteries in. This loop just keeps cycling the batteries around until the splitters pull them. Then a seperate belt to output full batteries back to the ILT.

On my home planet, I have 12 exchangers set to discharge at one of the poles in a circle around an ILT. The full batteries come out and loop around endlessly until the splitters grab one from the loop, discharge it and output it onto a seperate belt back into the ILT.

The discharge rate for my exchangers is a max of around 45mw I think but they're only using 15 or so when I last looked. Total load for my planet is covered by all these exchangers with 66% extra to grow.

If I go to another planet, I can drop an ILT and exchanger on the pole and start shipping batteries. 45mw of power straight away. Also since more batteries are out in the chain, new batteries are created automatically to fill the demand.

If I need more power, I'll add more exchangers into the loop to discharge more batteries

charging on the lava planet

discharging on the home planet

I've still got some generation going on this planet from old windmills that are dotted around but I keep dismantling them when I come across them

Edited by crashVoodoo at 13:29:16 26-03-2021
  • neems 26 Mar 2021 14:24:04 5,293 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just been setting up a fire ice network on my system's outermost planet, saw what looked like shooting stars, looked up and saw the sun surrounded by a double loop of solar sails, the whole thing just glittering in the distance. Amazing.
  • crashVoodoo 26 Mar 2021 14:35:59 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @neems do you have a screenshot?

I'm yet to set them up. Too much other stuff to play with
  • neems 26 Mar 2021 15:46:49 5,293 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not in game at the moment, but I'll try and arrange something later - I've shut production down for now, as I'm just wasting resources, so my sails will start to die :(
  • crashVoodoo 26 Mar 2021 16:38:18 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Anhunedd wrote:
    I keep having moments where I add a new item to my manufacturing setup, and it exhausts all the previous stocks in the chain leading up to it, despite there being 5000 or more of everything in place (in LTs). Typical factory game then :)
    Yeah it gets crazy when you see what you thought were massive stocks of resources suddenly just hose through.

Just for curiosity I looked at what the impacts were of putting 1 machine on creating super mag rings as im using a lot to create accumulators.

Just adding 1 mk1 assembler at 15 per minute requires an additional 195 iron ore, 30 copper and 15 crude oil per minute from the basic raw resources.

I added 16 MK2 assemblers at 30p/m. This is an additional requirement of 10,740 iron ore p/m o_0

Edited by crashVoodoo at 16:46:20 26-03-2021

Edited by crashVoodoo at 16:49:19 26-03-2021
  • Flying_Pig 26 Mar 2021 20:01:08 16,889 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've played quite a bit of this today - I've got my titanium production up and running on my lava planet, but and still working on my inter-planetary logistics.

I've suddenly got massive shortages of silicon for all of the processors I need - those damn smelters just don't do it quickly enough!

I think once I've got my IPL moving and titanium coming on to my planet, I think I'll switch to the other hemisphere and try to recreate what I have but in a much more organised way. My current set up is a nightmare tangle of conveyors :)
  • neems 26 Mar 2021 21:19:45 5,293 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Screenshots weren't really doing it... it would look better if I was on a planet without an atmosphere though.

• crashVoodoo 26 Mar 2021 22:06:09 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @neems hah holy shit it's like star wars blasting into space.

I love it

On the back of your last post I decided to have a look at the Dyson Sphere creator screen. It doesn't make much sense at the moment but I have created a giant ring. I want to see if I can make.something that swings close to my home planet

Edited by crashVoodoo at 23:05:19 26-03-2021
  • Anhunedd 26 Mar 2021 22:35:36 96 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @crashVoodoo

Interesting. Mine doesn't do the same. I've setup just a quick test case as I've dismantled it for now and gone back to fusion power on my main planet. If I put down a single exchanger with some charged accumulators in, you can see I've got a massive surplus of power.

When I activate the exchanger, it makes no attempt to spot I have enough power already, and just discharges the full accumulators at near 45MW (interestingly, I seem to have caught the image at just under - never noticed it was anything other than 45MW before) - so they last 2 seconds each.

For this to work for me, I need a guaranteed matching exchanger charging them at full power at the other end. Yet in your images, it shows the exchanger you have highlighted working at just 14.9MW, as so presumably draining each accumulator slower. You seem to still have a small surplus, but not as much as I do.

Edited by Anhunedd at 22:36:36 26-03-2021
  • Anhunedd 26 Mar 2021 22:45:19 96 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Aha! I've got it. It drains the accumulators to match the demand rate, even if you already have any power sources still online - those are entirely ignored. So this only works if you have no other power on the network, else it is inefficient.

This is entirely the other way around than using them as buildings - they only discharge when needed. I suspect what they have done is code it slightly the wrong way around and it does discharge the building version... but then charges it up again from the network surplus so you never notice, but when they are in the exchanger they can only do one thing, so discharge before the rest of the network is taken into account.
  • crashVoodoo 27 Mar 2021 00:11:40 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    So I've been reading around and they're a bit wonky if you're combining power sources.

If your planet requires 500mw and you're generating 300 on the planet and supplying up to 300 via accumulators then it'll use all 300 available from the accumulators first and then take 200 from the planet.

What they need is a setting to allow you to pick which should be given priority over the other.

A fudgy workaround for the problem would be to have a charging loop within the discharge grid somewhere so that when the full 300 is discharged, that extra 100 can be diverted back into charging accumulators that are fed back into your 'chain'.

A priority option would be better though or remove other generation and go accumulator only on your planet. Literally 1 exchanger @45mw would effectively replace your entire generation setup as you have it now. Add in a second to allow scalability, the issue would just be the creation of the accumulators. However, once created, they're reusable

Edited by crashVoodoo at 00:18:59 27-03-2021
  • crashVoodoo 27 Mar 2021 03:26:40 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    purple is on the wheel
  • crashVoodoo 27 Mar 2021 03:28:36 7,153 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    organisation FTW
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.