Valheim - by Odin's beard Page 2

• captbirdseye 14 Feb 2021 13:04:01 10,430 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Forest is one of the best survival games that has a pretty decent story mode. It's not all happiness and blue skies though and can be poop your pants scary in some parts.

On Valheim, does the game hit a certain time where it just spawns massive trolls? They keep appearing by base which makes me sad if they destroy something I've spent 25 hours building.
  • Gregolution 14 Feb 2021 13:31:15 10,848 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @captbirdseye

so you vote the other way that Forest is better than this?

Just checked and there are 250,000 people playing this at the moment on steam. thats nuts.
  • crashVoodoo 14 Feb 2021 14:15:05 7,069 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-14-if-youre-playing-valheim-you-need-to-back-up-your-data-right-now

Valheim developer Iron Gate is advising all players backup their characters and worlds after discovering a "world-destroyer" bug is resetting progress.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 14:15:42 14-02-2021
  • captbirdseye 14 Feb 2021 14:33:41 10,430 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution The advantage with The Forest is that it's no longer in EA and I really enjoyed my time with it and much more focussed and streamlined compared with Valheim. Valheim is one of those games where I totally loose track of time in the real world hehe.
  • Gregolution 14 Feb 2021 15:04:26 10,848 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does Valheim have some sort of win condition to aim for? Is there a final boss?
  • captbirdseye 14 Feb 2021 15:09:30 10,430 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It has a selection of bosses to hunt down but that's about it currently. I think the games about a year out from final release.
  • Gregolution 14 Feb 2021 15:44:06 10,848 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cool, cheers for your help. I'll save this one for release and grab the forest and subnautica
  • MrWonderstuff 14 Feb 2021 17:42:48 3,539 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Spent today on this. It's certainly charming and visually arresting. My stumbling point came when wondering how to upgrade my workbench - had to online and search for it. *Slaps head* of course flint which is only found by water. WTF? It doesnt even give you a vague hint how you do it or what is required. Happy finding out that I need certain things for recipes which I havent come across as that at least is more descriptive - "oh I need bones to upgrade x weapon. Cool will look out for that". Oh and the building mechanic is really finicky. However there is much to enjoy so will stick with it.
  • captbirdseye 14 Feb 2021 17:53:31 10,430 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Some of the systems do lack a bit of explaining but I guess it's no different to games like Dark Souls. Some of the weapons you can make also don't appear in the bench menu.

It's still EA and imagine these things will change as time goes on. You can always let the Devs know using the menu. I'm spamming them for horses.
  • Tomo 14 Feb 2021 17:53:43 18,984 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @WonderStuff

Yeah, I can see that being frustrating. I actually stumbled upon the flint on the off chance when I happened to need it. I think that has since taught me to just go looking for stuff when I feel slightly stuck with what to build next.

I'm off to actually fight something that doesn't die in two swings next I think.

So far just been having fun renovating the derelict buildings you find and joining them with the pathing tool... My own tiny little utopia is forming.

Edited by Tomo at 17:53:57 14-02-2021
  • Tomo 14 Feb 2021 17:55:53 18,984 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    On a broader note... the scope for the game is really enormous. The crafting system is so good - there are already some crazy constructions on Reddit. And presumably they can just add more and more enemies. It'll be like a Minecraft/Rust/Monster Hunter type hybrid.
  • MrWonderstuff 14 Feb 2021 20:55:04 3,539 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I do like annotating the map - 'Big horned beastie lives here' and 'arrrrgh too cold'. Playing solo is ok...quite nice thinking this uniquely generated landscape is my own...bit like NMS.
  • OldDirty 14 Feb 2021 23:49:51 60 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    It looks great fun. is it like ARK or more of an MMO?
  • Tomo 14 Feb 2021 23:50:28 18,984 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm really loving solo. Just beat my first boss and been suitably rewarded which is nice.

I'm going to make the jump to multiplayer soon... think I've got the main thread of the gameplay now. That said a friend said he is doing both solo and coop, so maybe I'll stick with that as well.
  • Tomo 14 Feb 2021 23:50:54 18,984 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    One thing actually... are the bosses you face the same on every run? Or are they randomly generated for that run?
  • Tomo 14 Feb 2021 23:52:09 18,984 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @OldDirty

I've not played a huge amount of survival games, but I think it's more Ark than MMO. Think there can only be 10 people on a map. It reminds me of Sea of Thieves as well, although I've never played that either...
  • Mola_Ram 15 Feb 2021 00:04:52 25,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I'm going to make the jump to multiplayer soon... think I've got the main thread of the gameplay now. That said a friend said he is doing both solo and coop, so maybe I'll stick with that as well.
    Yeah, when I started my friends said "Hey, just jump on our server, you can do the tutorial there". But it was like jumping into a conversation that's already been going on for hours, without any context. People were going around doing stuff, and I really had no idea why.

So I went back to solo, and it's been very relaxing just finding out things for myself (and getting killed by bees). I'll get back to MP at some point, but I'm happy enough for now. It's nice that you can take the same character into multiple servers and not lose progress.
  • OldDirty 15 Feb 2021 09:06:55 60 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Tomo I might have to dip in my toe and have a go. So do you meet random people or is it like an instance you have to manually connect to?

Edit. dw just seen Mola's post.

Edited by OldDirty at 09:08:54 15-02-2021
  • magicpanda 15 Feb 2021 14:01:54 15,115 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Has anyone seen the creepy thing that sometimes watches your camp at night? Go near it and it disappears.

I've fucked up. Sailing home and saw something interesting on the coast that proceeded to one shot me. I'm now naked on the coast of the black forest on the border of a swamp at a temporary campfire and bed. All my stuff is basically across an ocean, main base is miles away. Last thing I saw before a fade to black was it attacking my ship with over 100 copper on board.

I so much as fart in the forest and this happens.

Edited by magicpanda at 14:03:12 15-02-2021
  • captbirdseye 15 Feb 2021 14:06:50 10,430 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yep, I have seen it walk around just outside my base and found it quite creepy.
  • magicpanda 15 Feb 2021 17:23:10 15,115 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    2 Million sold now in 13 days.
  • Mola_Ram 16 Feb 2021 08:31:50 25,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm finding building stuff really, really fiddly. Even building a basic house to sleep in is a faff, there's so many bloody roof pieces and beams and everything, and it's hard to properly place things.

Anyway, the reason I'm building a house is because I want a place to spawn if I die trying to kill the first boss. I finally built the thing, though the roof looks shit.
  • MrWonderstuff 16 Feb 2021 09:28:31 3,539 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Yea I agree it is a faff. I worked out if you can point the cursor on the edge of a block you want to attach a piece to it should appear there. I had to go on Youtube to see how buildings are made to get an idea of how to use some pieces. I have made/remade something ok as a result. It is useful checking out the ruined buildings nearby as they use some of the components you have access to.
  • captbirdseye 16 Feb 2021 09:35:38 10,430 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I really like the building mechanic as it makes you think about how to build support structures. Yeah, you need to come at from an angle when trying to attach something.
  • MrWonderstuff 16 Feb 2021 09:57:26 3,539 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Also the colours when hovering over parts you have built show how stable it is - blue is sturdy to orange which is flimsey - red will fall down.
  • Mola_Ram 16 Feb 2021 09:59:34 25,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldn't mind so much if I weren't trying to quickly get something done before night falls and something kills me. I get that engineering your own stuff is one of the appeals of this kind of game, and that it shouldn't hold your hand too much. But I think it should hold your hand a *little*, and at the start be like "hey, there's a meadow over in that direction! Sounds like a grand place to build a house!"

Make it optional, I don't care. Just give me a bit of direction for the first few hours.

Anyway, I killed the giant deer thing, so now I'm trying to find where to use my new pickaxe. I'm assuming that you can mine things that aren't just stone or flint.
  • magicpanda 16 Feb 2021 10:18:45 15,115 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Copper is in the Black Forest, Tin along the shore of the black forest.

Don't go at night.

You'll need lots of flint, leather scraps and deer hide first which is a bit of a chore but gets easier once you unlock things.

If you are at the work bench use the hammer icon to repair everything.

Edited by magicpanda at 10:20:08 16-02-2021
  • thefishmonger 16 Feb 2021 10:48:05 30 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    2 Million sold now in 13 days.
    I know the Eurogamer crew have done a couple of live playthroughs - but you do wonder why the staff have yet to publish a main article on this game and its success?

It's a great game and has so much more potential. As well as all the brand deals and spin-offs that may occur just like Minecraft.
  • Turrican 16 Feb 2021 22:42:57 34 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm not sure - on the other hand PCGamer seem completely obsessed by it.
  • magicpanda 20 Feb 2021 23:58:07 15,115 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Anyone beat Bonemass solo yet? I just can't down him.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.