Following Returnal - Housemarque PS5 exclusive Page 37

• harriselhoff 3 May 2021 23:02:35 393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah ok thanks. That is very useful to know. Just had that run where I couldnít get back to the ship due to the drop, will definitely be re-rolling that if I get it again.

I honestly started this so cockily, thinking I was going to find it hard but ok after years of souls games.

Iíve not beaten the first boss, in fact Iíve only got to him twice.
  • SolidSCB 3 May 2021 23:03:42 15,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep it makes B1 a bit of a slog but it sets you up really nicely if you use the health trick. You can end up with double health bars on a good run and if you find the 25% integrity fabricator.
  • harriselhoff 3 May 2021 23:05:03 393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fuck me, just had to use that trick to top up my health after the first bastard room.
  • Worlds_ 3 May 2021 23:15:55 40 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    Oooh good tips there. Gone to the ship, now picking up health and my bar is getting way bigger.

Feel more ready to proceed into the deeper parts now. I also buy that integrity increase.
  • Mark1412 3 May 2021 23:17:53 2,171 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Once you've done it a few times and learned the enemies you won't need to go back much.

I made it to B6 and will gladly never do 5 again. Nearly lost it so many times down to the last hit and it felt like every room was a mini boss or an enemy that should have been mini boss. Whole thing was relentless, not sure playing this is good for you.

Biome 6 is a very welcome change. Very cool.
  • SolidSCB 3 May 2021 23:33:15 15,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tell me that again when you start getting debuffed with malfunctions off some of the twats from regular hits. 6 fucking terrifies me. Just stood outside what I'm guessing is the last boss room now composing myself. Got an Astronaut, 4 health buffs and an autorifle with leech on it.

Please god.

Edited by SolidSCB at 23:33:33 03-05-2021
  • Switch-v85 3 May 2021 23:40:04 4,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    2nd boss down. Pleased with that as I almost died immediately at the start of B2 after picking up from where I left it last night.

This game has me on edge all the time even though itís not actually been that bad so far. Iím always waiting for one enemy to appear that does something different and immediately ends my run. Feel a lot more relaxed when Iíve got that extra life in my pocket.
  • SolidSCB 3 May 2021 23:51:30 15,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's that then. Last boss was by far the easiest of the lot, I didn't even have to use a healing item on it. B6 itself was fucking hell on earth for me though, just couldn't get a decent handle on anything in there.

Truly amazing game. I'm guessing it's just getting started though really.
  • [maven] 4 May 2021 00:00:33 5,778 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Been doing a patient journey through B4 to get ready for making some progress in B5, had decent buffs, 200% health, Astro, and a likable (rapid-fire!) rocket launcher.

Alas, the first mini-boss in B5 wrecked me. Sword-wielding, purple ray spamming asshole! Ah well, I wanted to go to bed anyway. At least I unlocked 2 datacubesÖ
  • Zippity-zap 4 May 2021 00:09:07 635 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So much abject weakness in this thread. Disgusting, quite frankly. Hnnngh!
  • SolidSCB 4 May 2021 00:09:38 15,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the minibosses are the hardest part of the game tbh. That one in 5 is a real test, doubly so when you're lucky enough to get 2 in one room. and a couple in 6 are absolute bastards too.
  • harriselhoff 4 May 2021 00:16:13 393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can you dodge through the red bullets/orbs? I assumed you couldnít for some reason, but realised I donít know what Iím basing that on.
  • Rogueywon 4 May 2021 00:29:13 11,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @harriselhoff The i-frames on dodge take you through anything.

It's funny playing this at the same time as Nier Replicant. The combat pacing is completely different, but the bullet-hell mechanics are the same.
  • harriselhoff 4 May 2021 00:39:47 393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon thanks, hopefully that will help. The bullets are very similar to Nierís. Big balls, which is pretty apt I guess, as thatís what you need to get through this.

Big balls and a lot of spunk.
  • Your-Mother 4 May 2021 00:49:28 7,393 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There are a handful of things you canít dodge through. Think itís anything dark purple or pink.
  • harriselhoff 4 May 2021 00:55:47 393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Itís one of those games that piss you off so much you turn it off in a strop, but as soon as you start doing something else itís all you can think about.
  • neems 4 May 2021 02:28:23 5,392 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fucking hell, stage 3 of Nemesis (B3 boss) is fantastic. Pretty easy once you're properly tooled up - I found an amazing perk early on that increased max integrity every time I gained or fixed a malfunction. By the time I got near the boss I had max health and a level 15 carbine.

Fantastic game, had to force myself to stop playing it.
  • Frogofdoom 4 May 2021 07:02:52 17,513 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Must admit, would rather be at home playing this today than the shitshow that work is after a Bank Holiday.
  • Trafford 4 May 2021 07:06:39 9,211 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hope PS5 stock is about come early July when I have the cash to get one.
  • Decks 4 May 2021 07:18:12 29,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't forget that muting the mic on the pad increases the haptic feedback effect. Makes a noticeable difference.
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 May 2021 07:35:01 40,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Vague tips for the first biome (this is the sort of farm Iím doing before moving onto the next biome):

- only collect health when youíre at full health. If youíre running low, go back to the ship. Iím trying to more or less clear the whole biome before I collect anything green

- save one weapon chest for the boss run. If you empty all the chests, they are all pegged at your current proficiency.
    Donít get why they had to make going back to the ship as annoying as possible:

1. thereĎs never a teleporter in the room with the ship
    2. thereĎs an (at least skippable) animation when you slowly enter the ship
    3. sloooowly walk to the bed in first person
    4. Unskippable lie down/dream animation
    5. Back to first person, with no health bar. Now you can guess whether you should repeat 4. because sleeping once might not be enough to heal you fully.
    6. Slow walk back to the entrance
    7. exit ship with slow (skippable) Animation
    8. walk to next teleporter two rooms over

ThatĎs just not good design.

Why not make use of the power of the PS5? Insta teleport to the ship and back?

Edited by UncleLou at 07:38:04 04-05-2021
  • Rogueywon 4 May 2021 07:42:43 11,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @UncleLou I suspect the devs didn't intend topping up at the ship after every fight to be part of the gameflow in the first biome. Fully expecting them to patch it so you can only rest once per run or something.
  • HisDudness 4 May 2021 07:50:17 1,757 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just started biome 2, did I miss the grapple somewhere?
  • Rogueywon 4 May 2021 07:50:39 11,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @HisDudness No, you get the grapple after you complete biome 2.
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 May 2021 07:50:39 40,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Rogueywon I am sure thatís the reason, but in that case, they should reconsider the whole mechanic, not bury it behind a laborious process. I agree that they need to/will patch this.
  • HisDudness 4 May 2021 08:17:54 1,757 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rogueywon ok thanks, I'll look forward to that then.
  • Wayne 4 May 2021 08:18:09 3,370 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @UncleLou Are all gamers this impatient? I mean, the whole game is an exercise in patience to be honest. Have you considered Call Of Duty?
  • monkman76 4 May 2021 08:36:43 18,583 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How many times have you had to do what Lou describes? Since you've only just started. Why so antagonistic?
  • Decks 4 May 2021 08:40:18 29,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It would be a pretty cool discussion topic for your podcast Wayne. I'm sure your viewer would love it.
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 May 2021 08:45:35 40,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    @UncleLou Are all gamers this impatient? I mean, the whole game is an exercise in patience to be honest. Have you considered Call Of Duty?
    It's my favourite game series.

I'll break it down for you: what the game, with little exaggeration, does, is give you a "you can heal anytime, but we'll interrupt the game and let you stare at a black screen for 5 minutes" option. That's essentially what it is.

If you can't see how this is lousy design, I am not sure what else to tell you. If it's a problem that people heal on the ship, change that mechanic. Hiding it behind unskippable cut scenes and making it as arduous as possible is not the solution.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.