Following Returnal - Housemarque PS5 exclusive Page 38

• PrivateFloyd 4 May 2021 08:49:09 5,456 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Don't forget that muting the mic on the pad increases the haptic feedback effect. Makes a noticeable difference.
    Is this actually a thing?
  • Decks 4 May 2021 08:52:35 29,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah it lowers it from high so the mic doesn't pick up the vibrations. Dumb design bit there you go. Just press the mute button in the middle of the pad.
  • dominalien 4 May 2021 08:55:46 10,476 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The mic not picking up vibration noise is a worthwhile goal though.
  • chrisno21 4 May 2021 08:57:34 2,478 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Did not know that, however if you are playing with headphones it mutes the pad anyway.
  • Decks 4 May 2021 09:00:55 29,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's crazy that it's on by default.
  • Worlds_ 4 May 2021 09:01:01 40 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    Whatís everyone doing with picking up stuff that has malfunctions or high probability? Iím now leaving all those as I wouldnít have enough ether to cleanse and donít want my suit fucked.
  • Rogueywon 4 May 2021 09:05:28 11,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Worlds_ Early in the run, I'm relaxed about a couple of malfunctions. Some of them are easy to cleanse in B1 and if they aren't... not much time lost. The further in I get, the more cautious I am.
  • TheyreAllDeadDave 4 May 2021 09:10:54 94 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Yeah it lowers it from high so the mic doesn't pick up the vibrations. Dumb design bit there you go. Just press the mute button in the middle of the pad.
    There's also a setting to disable mic as default when you turn on/ log in on the ps5.
  • Lotos8ter 4 May 2021 09:11:34 3,100 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was watching a YouTuber who had a Ďtake damage on picking items upí malfunction, that basically ended his run. I canít remember the removal cost, but he was low enough health that when he got to a clump of enemies it was game over.
  • nickthegun 4 May 2021 09:13:21 86,445 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I turned it off at system level. Weird that itís on out of the box.
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 May 2021 09:14:44 40,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    It's also counter-intuitive that the mic is on when the light is off.
  • nickthegun 4 May 2021 09:20:50 86,445 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím avoiding anything that causes malfunction unless I have a purification sphere or a itís parasite that heals a killing blow but causes malfunction.

Most of the malfunctions donít seem too bad though so there is a nagging feeling Iím gimping myself unnecessarily. I do take quite a lot of parasites, though. The upsides almost always outweigh the bad except for when they donít and the results are catastrophic.
  • quadfather 4 May 2021 09:23:36 38,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    I was watching a YouTuber who had a Ďtake damage on picking items upí malfunction, that basically ended his run. I canít remember the removal cost, but he was low enough health that when he got to a clump of enemies it was game over.
    I used this one a fair bit actually - but it depends on the positives on it. I'm only in B1 so it doesn't really matter - either I'll a) die to the boss, or b) use a nullification sphere which gets rid of all malfunctions. You can normally get one of these knocking about through a run.

The other thing to remember in this game that I'm still teaching myself, is that you don't have to pick everything up straight away. In fact, for health, it's recommended that you don't, and instead maximise your health through the ship healing mechanic before picking up health to then improve it over the initial maximum.

So even though the game is absolutely mad as fuck most of the time, once I've sorted a level, it's as quiet as a mouse and I then work out what to do with items, malfunctions, healing, items etc, before doing the last run to the boss.

Obviously that tactic will change when(if) I get to later biomes - I'll have to swap it out a bit.
  • Derblington 4 May 2021 09:29:38 34,881 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    That's pretty much how all headset mics work too.
  • Wayne 4 May 2021 09:34:32 3,370 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    Is it a red light? That makes sense to me. Red = stop.
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 May 2021 09:41:22 40,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    That's pretty much how all headset mics work too.
    Is it? I never use headsets. But with cameras, webcams, microphones, or genereally studio equipment, a light always means it's live. Actually, red means "mic is live".
  • Rogueywon 4 May 2021 09:44:22 11,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I just had to check this - both of my headsets use "red light on" to show they're muted.
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 May 2021 10:11:00 40,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    That's properly weird*. Do they have a different light to show they're live?

*to me, I mean. Obviously it seems to be the standard with headsets. :)

Edited by UncleLou at 10:12:44 04-05-2021
  • monkman76 4 May 2021 10:15:41 18,583 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I guess the light being on means 'not in default/startup mode'. Startup mode on a headset is a live mic, but on recording equipment it's 'not recording'.
  • neems 4 May 2021 10:26:25 5,392 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In case anybody else doesn't know, I found out by sheer chance last night that the energy shields that block some rooms need the 'blade balancer' upgrade to destroy. You can often buy it in the B1 shop, I never bothered but happened to get it out in the world.
  • nickthegun 4 May 2021 10:59:49 86,445 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ah, I was just waiting for an upgrade. Speaking of yellow things... is there any penalty for killing those yellow octopus things?
  • quadfather 4 May 2021 11:05:56 38,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    neems wrote:
    In case anybody else doesn't know, I found out by sheer chance last night that the energy shields that block some rooms need the 'blade balancer' upgrade to destroy. You can often buy it in the B1 shop, I never bothered but happened to get it out in the world.
    Ah nice one, I wondered why some energy doors weren't opening with the blade
  • Decks 4 May 2021 11:09:20 29,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Ah, I was just waiting for an upgrade. Speaking of yellow things... is there any penalty for killing those yellow octopus things?
    Think you're just supposed to get them as quickly as possible before they disappear.
  • KRadiation 4 May 2021 11:36:37 1,731 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Managed to get to the 3rd boss and then lost it on the 3rd phase.. more so just out of confusion. I think it will likely take a few attempts just to work out what and when.

I definitely feel like its easier to get through each biome to have another go though now. Having more tools to play with and knowing the enemies better. Doesn't make the roguelike elements feel quite so bad.

I just need that save option. I'm leaving the house in about an hour and half which doesnt give me long enough to play. Ridiculous.

Edited by KRadiation at 11:38:24 04-05-2021
  • monkman76 4 May 2021 11:38:44 18,583 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thread's got quieter - has the initial wow worn off? Hovering over 'buy' at the moment.
  • Globalmeltdown 4 May 2021 11:41:41 1,021 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Taking a break from it, itís worn me out
  • Carlo 4 May 2021 11:46:51 21,688 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Thread's got quieter - has the initial wow worn off? Hovering over 'buy' at the moment.
    Back at work for many of us

Edited by Carlo at 14:05:08 04-05-2021
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 May 2021 11:48:26 40,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    If I may say so: it's good, and it mostly has the AAA polish, but as a roguelite/like, Hades is a better game. Based on my limited and admittedly frustrating experience so far, mind. :)
  • quadfather 4 May 2021 11:48:27 38,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    I was up till 4am night before last on it - I was determined to crack the first boss, but still didn't manage it. Had a break yesterday, but I'll be on it later.

Back at work now though :/
  • Gibroon 4 May 2021 11:48:35 2,558 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @monkman76

I'm having a couple of days break break after getting past the first boss but I'm glad I bought it for some pewpew and the challenge. Can see it lasting for weeks and months due to my limited time playing it and occasional breaks due to the intensity of it.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.