Following Returnal - Housemarque PS5 exclusive Page 40

• HisDudness 4 May 2021 13:38:24 1,757 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One thing I recently discovered was that you can carry multiple of the same consumable. I lucked into 3 of the consumables that grant you full adrenaline. Allowed me to recover full damage easily in the boss fight, which obviously makes things much simpler since getting hit is less punishing.
  • nickthegun 4 May 2021 13:47:32 86,400 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I beat boss 3 with 3x small health and 2x big health.

Donít sleep on damage to health, either. Itís pretty generous and fills your bar really quickly. You can Leroy Jenkins most things if you want.

Also, you can save things for later. Dropped items persist so you can drop your health potions for something else and come back for them later.
  • SolidSCB 4 May 2021 13:51:59 15,712 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post game is what you make of it really. It's the same thing but you got access to everything and there's nothing stopping you from really taking risks on pickups and stuff and going through with funky builds. I definitely want to try and do a 1-6 run with all bosses before all's said and done and I'm sure they've only just got started with the challenge stuff.

A half decent rolled Electropylon gun is basically cheat mode btw. I was really pissing about yesterday after I finished and made it from the start to the end of B3 in about 40 minutes cutting about half arsed like I was invincible. Did the last half of B3 with about 30% health as absolutely nothing could get near me before my red electric webs of doom were melting them. Brilliant gun.
  • Worlds_ 4 May 2021 13:59:38 28 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    This rogue-like term, I don't think it does the game justice. Feels like it's making it sound hardcore or something.

Returnal is basically just how games used to be in the 80's and 90's. You had to finish the whole level. If you died, you were back at the start.

The good thing about Returnal is how the levels change on every run. I haven't yet had that repetitive feel, even after dying 20 times.
  • monkman76 4 May 2021 14:00:49 18,564 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Levels changing on every run is part of what makes it a roguelike chief.
  • DakeyrasUK 4 May 2021 14:14:32 5,123 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384139504623?hash=item59707fabef%3Ag%3Az98AAOSwrhxgfVcF&LH_BIN=1

55.96 with PRICEWINS discount... so tempted, but by the time the posty delivers it I will be playing RE8... so will resist a little longer!
  • Rogueywon 4 May 2021 14:20:21 11,571 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I quite like the daily challenges - they're just about the right length. In some ways, the game feels better suited to that kind of scope than to multi-hour no-save runs.
  • HisDudness 4 May 2021 14:25:26 1,757 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There was no way to save progress in nex machina right? If you wanted to throw up a high score you have to commit to all 5 stages?

My guess is they'll do the demon's souls save approach. And maybe disable that for high score run mode or something.
  • HisDudness 4 May 2021 14:25:26 1,757 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • SolidSCB 4 May 2021 14:31:08 15,712 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just need to make the warp points or reconstructors checkpoints really.
  • Rogueywon 4 May 2021 14:34:51 11,571 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Just need to make the warp points or reconstructors checkpoints really.
    Just need a Souls-style autosave running in the background. It could save when you move between rooms, end a fight, open a chest and so on, to minimise the risk of save-scumming (though strange to fixate on that in a singleplayer game). Dark Souls managed it with no problems back in the days when clunky mechanical HDDs were the norm. There's no way Returnal couldn't manage it on the snazzy PS5 SSD.
  • Worlds_ 4 May 2021 14:36:03 28 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Levels changing on every run is part of what makes it a roguelike chief.
    I did not know that 😂 FP
  • nickthegun 4 May 2021 15:00:17 86,400 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They donít change *that* much. B3 was basically the same every time I ran it bar the tower climb which varied between ok and total bullshit.
  • SolidSCB 4 May 2021 15:03:35 15,712 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Second half gets a lot more regimented in terms of level design too. The last 2 worlds are basically "Right, let's see where your build can get when we throw this at you".
  • SolidSCB 4 May 2021 15:33:16 15,712 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you just want to finish this game then honestly, forget everything else and just get yourself an Electropylon Driver. I've got one here; Level 0, literally zero stat points with 6 shots and its making a total mockery of everything in B2. Just shoot your rounds, dodge around a bit and wait for everything to melt away.

Think Anarchy in Destiny 2 on crack. It's a joke of a weapon.
  • neems 4 May 2021 15:36:09 5,388 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There seem to be some variations that are pretty rare - I once came across a gigantic sort of plaza in B1 with 2 levels and statues dotted around. Never saw it again. And there was a giant cliff that I've seen maybe 3 times.

Sometimes just going through a room in the opposite direction is enough to make it fresh. It's only when the dust settles that you realise you've seen it before.
  • SolidSCB 4 May 2021 15:45:15 15,712 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah there's just enough there to keep each run interesting. I like the idea that there are a finite amount I could eventually master with enough familiarity.
  • monkman76 4 May 2021 15:46:41 18,564 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, it certainly plays, looks and sounds great doesn't it. Slightly worried that I'm going to be running halfway across levels back to my ship every time I take damage though, so I can get the suit integrity upgrades.
  • Rogueywon 4 May 2021 15:47:37 11,571 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I tend to think of the biomes as a series of arenas around the size of one of the smaller Unreal Tournament maps, with a few connective areas between them and loot rooms off to the side. You do recognise the same rooms coming up over and over pretty quickly. I think I know the 2-level plaza one that neems mentions and have seen it a good few times.
  • quadfather 4 May 2021 15:48:35 38,673 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    If you just want to finish this game then honestly, forget everything else and just get yourself an Electropylon Driver. I've got one here; Level 0, literally zero stat points with 6 shots and its making a total mockery of everything in B2. Just shoot your rounds, dodge around a bit and wait for everything to melt away.

I'll happily take one of these. When do they start appearing?
  • neems 4 May 2021 16:00:18 5,388 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @quadfather

Biome 4.
  • SolidSCB 4 May 2021 16:01:36 15,712 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:

I'll happily take one of these. When do they start appearing?
    Not too far I don't think. I started getting them very early on so it may just be RNG.

Just about to tackle the boss of B3 and I'm still rocking the same level 0 weapon with no stat points at all. I've got here from my ship in a little over 40 minutes.

That sounds like a not so humble brag but it's all the weapon's doing. It's making me laugh how OP it is.
  • Decks 4 May 2021 16:02:23 29,777 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Well, it certainly plays, looks and sounds great doesn't it. Slightly worried that I'm going to be running halfway across levels back to my ship every time I take damage though, so I can get the suit integrity upgrades.
    The teleport things normally get you pretty close.
  • Derblington 4 May 2021 16:03:23 34,878 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @monkman76 You won't, as you don't have access to your ship in every level :)
  • neems 4 May 2021 16:03:45 5,388 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Personally I wouldn't recommend leaning too heavily on the ship as a healing tool, just play the game. Maybe if you think you've got a really good run going, but until you meet the boss for the first time I don't think it's worth it.
  • Carlo 4 May 2021 16:15:59 21,686 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    neems wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    Personally I wouldn't recommend leaning too heavily on the ship as a healing tool, just play the game. Maybe if you think you've got a really good run going, but until you meet the boss for the first time I don't think it's worth it.
    I'm with you there. Running back all the time doesn't really help skill you up, and the increase in health from 3 health drops is pretty tiny compared to other perks and stuff anyway. It's application is a little less important than people are making out
  • SolidSCB 4 May 2021 16:16:03 15,712 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's 1-3 done on a level 0 weapon.

Bosses were taking pea damage especially the last one but the mobs were getting smoked by it. Bit of a shame the game doesn't let me carry it over to 4.
  • SolidSCB 4 May 2021 16:18:04 15,712 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The health trick is a nice little crutch for your first few runs of each half of the game and is good if you're quite far in and want some insurance to be able to get further but yeah, it's use diminishes over time.
  • Daeltaja 4 May 2021 16:19:01 2,027 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I definitely want to try and do a 1-6 run with all bosses before all's said and done and I'm sure they've only just got started with the challenge stuff.
    Not sure this is possible due to how the game is structured. Everything resets after Biome 3, so just like a fresh run. 1-3 or 4-6 are the options from what I can tell.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.