Following Returnal - Housemarque PS5 exclusive Page 3

• Deleted user 25 February 2021 15:11:36
    The PS Blog just announced that once Destruction All-Stars is removed from the Plus lineup, it'll cost 20 quid to buy.

At least they're paying some attention.
  • Derblington 25 Feb 2021 15:11:50 34,881 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I don't know, nothing about it looks cheap. It's a "science fiction psychological horror video game. It is a third-person shooter featuring roguelike elements".
    Housemarque have been the king of arcade action titles and they've always released at lower price points but this looks far higher budget than anything they've done before. It doesn't seem to be judged on what it is but on past releases from the studio.

People laughed about Godfall because it looked and reviewed shit. No-one seems to be saying this looks bad or cheap.
    The price point wasn't really complained about loudly, other than a few grumbles. People did pay it for Demon's, Spider-man, and Sackboy. It;s a given that it;s going to be the same for Ratchet, GoW2, Horizon and GT7, and people will pay for those (and grumble, of course). But Returnal seems to have caused that convo to become very loud suddenly, and I can't work out why it's this game.

You can justify the previous titles as "you need something in the new console" but in doing so you've said "I'm willing to pay £70 for something to play". You can't take that back.
  • monkman76 25 Feb 2021 15:16:06 18,583 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sackboy was and is £60. Spider-Man was £70 for two games, or at least one and a half.

Also name one other roguelike that costs £60, let alone £70.
  • Derblington 25 Feb 2021 15:21:02 34,881 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I can't. But I can point to a number of horror and 3rd person shooters that do.

I'm all about people voting with their wallets, I just expected it to be a much bigger issue from the start of the gen and it just seems to be rising now, 3 months post-launch.
  • Frogofdoom 25 Feb 2021 15:22:43 17,513 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    6 copies of deadcells on pc. Hah and you thought it couldn't be done.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 25 Feb 2021 15:25:30 10,448 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I guess it's not so much of an issue with launch. You drop your £450 on the console and you have some money set aside for games. Maybe that would have got you 3 or 4 games before and now it's only 1 or 2 but you don't really think about it much because it's almost part of the cost of getting the new toy. It's only now that the first games are starting to come out separately that people will hopefully say "nah, I'll wait".
  • richardiox 25 Feb 2021 15:29:01 9,699 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Derblington

I seem to remember plenty of raised eyebrows at the prospect of £70 games when that price point was announced...I don't think this is a "returnal" issue, although the fact it's a new IP by a small studio arcade type game developer rather than a big budget AAA release doesn't help.

Either way, the fact remains there will be a lot of PS5 games I will skip at launch that I would have otherwise picked up under the PS4 pricing structure.

Gamepass over on Xbox just underscores this -especially with first party Sony software. For the price of Returnal I can get a year of Gamepass that gives me all of MS first party output plus the whole existing library. It's all relative to perceived value.

My perception is £70 for Returnal is total bullshit. Shame because I'm a Housemarque fanboy and have previously lapped up all their games on day one.
  • monkman76 25 Feb 2021 15:30:31 18,583 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think Derbs is just forgetting the fair bit of stink there was around launch at the £70 price tag - even for a ground-up remake of a beloved game that would probably still have sold plenty at £80.
  • SnackPlissken 25 Feb 2021 15:35:09 3,215 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    For me anything over £50 is taking the piss. I'm glad I could get a copy of RE Village on PS5 for £43.
  • Derblington 25 Feb 2021 15:40:10 34,881 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Maybe I am. And I do recall people objecting, but nothing along the same lines as this.

And there's definitely a large group of people that have accepted it when buying the digital machines. I'm one of those, I don't care for discs. So I don't see it going away, as they're always going to have a chunk of the market that are buying them, which includes those picking up discs and just going 'fuck it, I want it now'.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2021 15:43:55
    Derblington wrote:
    You can justify the previous titles as "you need something in the new console" but in doing so you've said "I'm willing to pay £70 for something to play". You can't take that back.
    You can take it back. You can choose to vote with your wallet whenever you want. As already said, Demon's Souls is an exception for many reasons - it's up there for a lot of people as their favourite game, it was the best looking next gen game and really showed off the hardware, a lot of people knew they would get multiple playthroughs and hours out of it, it's a system seller for a lot of people, it was a launch day release and was part of the "new shiny" window where common sense flies out the window. And you bet that a lot of people buying it still said "I can't believe I'm paying this much for a game".

I made the exception for it because it ticked all those boxes for me, but that's it. No more day one games at that price for me. I want R&C, but not at Sony's asking price.

I'm curious, when Microsoft tried to jack up the price of XBL recently, did you think "what the fuck are they doing" or "hey ho, that's what it is now"? Because if it's the latter then you clearly have more money than sense and are thus part of the absolute minority.
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Feb 2021 15:57:41 40,532 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I can't. But I can point to a number of horror and 3rd person shooters that do.

I'm all about people voting with their wallets, I just expected it to be a much bigger issue from the start of the gen and it just seems to be rising now, 3 months post-launch.

I think that's easy to explain, there has only been one game so far, namely Demon's, that people wanted and that cost as much.

I expect many more discussions once people realise Ratchet & Clank will be 80 EUR as well.

Edited by UncleLou at 15:58:22 25-02-2021
  • Deleted user 25 February 2021 16:01:09
    For a lot of people too the fact that the PS5 effectively doubles as a quiet, much more capable PS4 Pro means it's a lot easier to ignore the drip of overpriced new games.

I'm going to finally do my GoW NG+ playthrough with the recent 4K/60 patch. I've an almost unplayed copy of Borderlands 3 (bought for a tenner) that has a free PS5 upgrade. I never played much of The Division 2 as I found it a bit too janky on PS4. It's absolutely no longer janky on PS5. Even NFS Hot Pursuit Remastered just got a 4K/60 patch for PS5/XSX today.
  • imamazed 25 Feb 2021 16:02:03 6,637 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    GumboVariations wrote:
    For a lot of people too the fact that the PS5 effectively doubles as a quiet, much more capable PS4 Pro means it's a lot easier to ignore the drip of overpriced new games.

Enter The Whine
  • SnackPlissken 25 Feb 2021 16:27:03 3,215 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    To me justifying the price hike is probably people who have a ridiculous amount of disposable income.
  • Wayne 25 Feb 2021 16:31:16 3,370 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think the price hike is justifiable, but I don't like it and I won't defend it.
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Feb 2021 16:46:26 40,532 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah, well, games are a completely unnecessary luxury item, so I donít think they need a justification for any price, really. It can always only ever be about what everyone personally is comfortable with, the sum of which will dictate the pricing strategy.
  • Carlo 25 Feb 2021 16:51:11 21,688 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    To me justifying the price hike is probably people who have a ridiculous amount of disposable income.
    I'm waiting for the "I paid £120 for my street fighter Japan import" guys to jump in now.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2021 16:52:13
    Wayne wrote:
    I think the price hike is justifiable, but I don't like it and I won't defend it.
    Didn't PlayStation recently honk their horns about record sales and profits?

Nothing can justify this hike.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2021 16:53:11
    @Carlo There's a chap who said that to me on the front page article about the Destruction All-Stars pricing 😅
  • Derblington 25 Feb 2021 16:55:54 34,881 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    GumboVariations wrote:
    I'm curious, when Microsoft tried to jack up the price of XBL recently, did you think "what the fuck are they doing" or "hey ho, that's what it is now"? Because if it's the latter then you clearly have more money than sense and are thus part of the absolute minority.
    I saw it as their way of pushing even more people to GP, which is ultimately what they're after.
    It's not my user platform so it wasn't something I ultimately put much thought into, and it was dropped within a couple of days. I stopped trying to play all the platforms this gen. so now it's Sony, with their £70 prices, and Nintendo, who never drop price from RRP.
    MS are still on the backfoot and they're still doing everything to keep favour and bring more people into the Xbox and GP ecosystem, so I can understand why they would reverse it. Sony are far more bullish/arrogant in their approach, which is shitty in a number of outcomes for the consumer. It's far better to be a customer of MS.

The Gold situation isn't quite the same as the game prices though. They were announced, and released, and people have spent the money on them. Changing it is much harder than denying it in the first place.
    I don't think they expect people to just flock to it either. Sony know that a small group will pay it, and others will wait for sales, or buy discs, etc. It's all calculated. I think more publishers will start doing it (Sony weren't the first to mention it after all, I think it was 2K?), and then options will be even more limited over time. So ultimately I don't think the consumer behaviour is unexpected.

I don't really know if I feel like £70 is too high for the price of entertainment when it's all weighed up in terms of personal value, but I feel like it's quite a shocking figure on the face of it, if that makes sense?
    Realistically though I know that I'll buy R&C and Horizon, and Gow2.
    I have a digital machine. I'll enjoy the games. I was initially taken aback by the £70 number because it's *that* much closer to £100 and I don't particularly care about the inflation argument whether it's valid or not, but at the same time it's "only" £10 more and that's not too significant (in terms of it being the cost of 2 drinks on a night out or a sandwich for lunch or whatever). And I get more for it in a game than I do 2x rum and Cokes. But I also don't intend to be buying 3 full-priced games a month so I'll balance it as needed.

Edited by Derblington at 16:58:45 25-02-2021
  • dfunked09 25 Feb 2021 17:00:41 2,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    GumboVariations wrote:
    Even NFS Hot Pursuit Remastered just got a 4K/60 patch for PS5/XSX today.
    For a tenner, which is yet another pisstake.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2021 17:47:37
    @dfunked09 I've downloaded the update but haven't had a chance to play it yet, but there was no mention of it being paid on EA's blog post about it.

I know Tony Hawk 1+2's eventual upgrade is a tenner, so it seems to be an Activision thing.
  • dfunked09 25 Feb 2021 17:49:31 2,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Ah FFS, I must be getting my games mixed up. Sorry Fuzzy, carry on mate.
  • SolidSCB 25 Feb 2021 18:06:41 15,772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I remember paying a combined £115 for Killzone Shadow Fall and Assassin's Creed IV on PS4 launch day. By then end of the gen I'd completely forgotten that early on I was paying 50-60 notes for largely forgettable shite.

Early adopters tax unfortunately. I'd wager the fact that there are currently around 27 PS5's in public hands worldwide probably has an awful lot to do with it too.
  • oldskooldeano 25 Feb 2021 18:13:33 3,411 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The game looks like an arcade shoot em up with narrative and cut scenes, allwrapped up in third person 3D perspective. I can see elements of other Housemarque games in it. I donít think it should cost three times as much as any of their other output. Itís exploitative and part of a strategy to set a new Ďnormalí. Good luck with that.
  • Dombat 25 Feb 2021 19:15:56 1,914 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Despite the price I can see myself getting this at launch just because there seems to be very little in terms of new releases that appeal to me this year, and this one of the few games I'm genuinely interested in.

I doubt I'll spend much on gaming overall this year.
  • Carlo 26 Feb 2021 11:44:31 21,688 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, so based on the interview on teh EG front page right now, I won't be getting this at launch.

They did a fantastic job of turning everyone off it, at the price they're asking for.

What a complete own-goal :S

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-25-the-big-housemarque-interview

Edited by Carlo at 11:45:12 26-02-2021
  • dfunked09 26 Feb 2021 11:45:38 2,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Carlo
    Yeah, love the wishy-washy non-answer to the £70 question.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 26 Feb 2021 11:51:22 10,448 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    When you look at the kind of thing available now for sub £50 - Valhalla, Immortals (OK it's AC lite but still...), Resi, Yakuza... charging £70 for this seems insane I have to say. You can get Godfall for about 30 quid now and I really see this going the same way.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.