Live streaming

• THFourteen 27 Mar 2021 11:58:43 54,517 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hey folks, no Iím not starting twitch streaming. A mate of mine is getting married in may and with restrictions heís asked me to look at setting up a live stream for his friends and family.

Anyone ever done this before? Whatís the best way to go about this. Do I need a proper camera, tripod, mic and laptop? Should we use YouTube live streaming?

Iím also slightly concerned by the quality of wifi at the venue as whenever Iíve been anywhere but home the wifi has been shit
  • Dirtbox 27 Mar 2021 14:14:12 92,347 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've been live streaming events over the last year, and yes, you need all that if you're going to do a proper job. Better still, have 2 or 3 cameras you can switch between to get the best angles depending on what's happening. Plus see if you can plug into a wired connection, spotty wifi just isn't going to cut it.

Youtube is fine, probably the best for your purposes, facebook also fine, there's also Vimeo and numerous others. Poke through and see which is best for you.
  • nickthegun 27 Mar 2021 14:26:08 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I did this for a wedding i went to in the US. I just got the bride to add everyone who wanted to watch into a WhatsApp group, started a video call, muted my phone and put it in a tripod angled towards where the magic was going to happen.

Itís a bit ghetto but it was fine for what it was and, tbh, it was a cheeky ask in the first place. ĎOh by the way, can you sort out an international live stream because you know about computers? Thanksí.
  • Phattso 27 Mar 2021 14:27:57 27,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    On the topic of decent connections, a longer shot might be to look at the 5G coverage - get a dongle for the day and use that.

Edited by Phattso at 14:28:08 27-03-2021
  • nickthegun 27 Mar 2021 14:30:21 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This was the thing that annoyed me. It puts logistical hassle on you when you arenít even really part of the wedding, walking around like a dickhead asking already harassed people if they know the WiFi password
  • sport 27 Mar 2021 14:33:57 16,837 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Is EG invited? We could moderate the chat.
  • THFourteen 27 Mar 2021 14:42:48 54,517 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

Itís a bit ghetto but it was fine for what it was and, tbh, it was a cheeky ask in the first place. ĎOh by the way, can you sort out an international live stream because you know about computers? Thanksí.
    I am an usher and probably his most geekiest of friends so i get why he asked... i'm already feeling stressed about it tho.
  • Jono62 27 Mar 2021 14:43:22 26,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This really is for your Onlyfans isn't it?
  • challenge_hanukkah 27 Mar 2021 15:53:34 14,122 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Is EG invited? We could moderate the chat.
    *User banned for every third word *not* being cunt*
  • JoeBlade 27 Mar 2021 16:13:01 6,034 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Word of warning: whatever you choose (Twitch, YouTube, ...), make sure to register well in advance and run a couple of tests before the actual event.

A colleague at my previous job wanted to create a work-related stream and discovered the hard way that almost all those services have very laborious registration procedures and often impose a 24 hour or longer wait before you can actually start using said services.

That's discounting any issues you may encounter; they can all be a bit twitchy (fnar)
  • fontgeeksogood 27 Mar 2021 16:13:47 12,913 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How many thousand people are going to be on the stream
  • THFourteen 27 Mar 2021 16:39:54 54,517 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    No idea... originally he had about 120 guests but down to 30 now. Maybe a few more people will dial in as he doesnít have to buy them food.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.