How long do YOU have to wait in line to vote? Page 2

• Jono62 6 Apr 2021 09:22:41 26,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's usually in and out, but I hang around handing out pens to everyone because they erase your vote if you use pencil.
  • elstoof 6 Apr 2021 09:26:46 27,143 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Takes me about 2 and a half hours to fill out alle the postal ballots for the benefit scrounging illegal immigrants and elderly people Iíve stolen the identities of
  • Dougs 6 Apr 2021 09:28:19 99,066 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    It's usually in and out, but I hang around handing out pens to everyone because they erase your vote if you use pencil.
    Absolutely mental, the last few years
  • Trafford 6 Apr 2021 09:29:23 9,202 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Never longer than 5 minutes, but I'm normally early or late in the day.

Please bear in mind Tonka, what makes dramatic news footage?
  • Decks 6 Apr 2021 09:31:58 29,765 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    He does get to vote for Lord Of The Mollusc People once every few years.
    Big year this year with the new osmosis restrictions coming in.
  • Bambot 6 Apr 2021 09:35:39 2,050 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    The voter suppression on America is blatant and well documented. I'm not sure your survey will provide the eureka moment you're hoping for Tonka.
    he got to remind us he lives in Sweden, so not a complete waste of his time
  • Bambot 6 Apr 2021 09:38:01 2,050 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    London. I don't think I've bothered voting for anything since Brexit. Before then there was never really a queue, maybe five minutes tops.
    People who don't vote because it didn't go their way the last time, are literally the worst people.
  • Bambot 6 Apr 2021 09:38:58 2,050 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    Don't think I've ever had to queue in London (suburb), straight in and out every time.
    After the Mayoral election I'm not going to bother any more though, I no longer wish to participate in the pretence that we live in a democracy.
    SO edgy, I can hardly bear it!

Vote, you fucking idiot.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Apr 2021 09:42:38 25,708 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not to harp on specific people, as it's very common. But it's pretty funny (Weird? I don't know a good word) when people in some countries potentially risk their lives and livelihoods to go out and vote, and we're all like "I didn't get the result I wanted, DEMOCRACY SUCKS I'M NEVER VOTING AGAIN". Or we just can't be bothered.

I guess it's more about us living in safer countries, so it feels like there's less at stake? It's a bit different where I live, where you get penalised if you don't show up, but low participation rates in general have always surprised me a bit.

And I get that apathy and cynicism are things, but... not voting isn't going to make anything better. Politicians aren't going to listen if you don't even use your voice.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:45:51 06-04-2021
  • dfunked09 6 Apr 2021 09:45:59 1,993 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'll still go and vote even though it feels like pissing against the wind.

You can't rightfully complain about the current shitty government unless you actually tried to do something about it when given a chance.
  • Bambot 6 Apr 2021 09:50:41 2,050 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    London here, various suburbs around the city over the last 20 years. Never waited longer than a minute or so outside while there was a few people in the booths and someone at the check-in desk, and that happened one time only. All other times: arrive, check-in, vote, leave, done in two minutes.

America deliberately forces hours-long lines because it helps discourage voting. The longest lines are almost exclusively in the areas most likely to vote against Republicans. Funny that.

Going to predict that no other civilised nation experiences such delays. The only reason America does is that they can't get away with doing what Russia doubtless does, which is to toss all the votes out and just declare Putin the winner again. I don't even know if Russia allows voting...

Edited by Bambot at 09:53:52 06-04-2021
  • Bambot 6 Apr 2021 09:52:11 2,050 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Not to harp on specific people, as it's very common. But it's pretty funny (Weird? I don't know a good word) when people in some countries potentially risk their lives and livelihoods to go out and vote, and we're all like "I didn't get the result I wanted, DEMOCRACY SUCKS I'M NEVER VOTING AGAIN". Or we just can't be bothered.

I guess it's more about us living in safer countries, so it feels like there's less at stake? It's a bit different where I live, where you get penalised if you don't show up, but low participation rates in general have always surprised me a bit.

And I get that apathy and cynicism are things, but... not voting isn't going to make anything better. Politicians aren't going to listen if you don't even use your voice.
    It's not funny or weird, it's pathetic. You're a kinder forumite than me though.
  • dominalien 6 Apr 2021 09:59:49 10,465 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I also think voting has fuck all significance, but do it every time anyway.

Anything short of going into politics is pointless imo, democracy just doesnít work.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Apr 2021 10:03:01 25,708 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Bambot I didn't want to be too harsh, because I do genuinely understand (or at least think I understand) why people get so disillusioned with the system we've got.

I just think that the way out of shitty politics is for people to care more about politics and making politics better, rather than disengaging and caring less. I understand why people do the latter thing, but wish there was a way out of the downward spiral. :/
  • JamboWayOh 6 Apr 2021 10:11:21 23,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    @Bambot I didn't want to be too harsh, because I do genuinely understand (or at least think I understand) why people get so disillusioned with the system we've got.

I just think that the way out of shitty politics is for people to care more about politics and making politics better, rather than disengaging and caring less. I understand why people do the latter thing, but wish there was a way out of the downward spiral. :/
    In that case people need to feel engaged and to be made aware that their vote actually matters. I know that we can say people in some countries have to risk death to vote but we have to remember that in countries such as ours many people take what they have for granted; voting, free healthcare at the point of delivery, free education for boys and girls, etc. If you've grown up with all these things and are unable to say they've made a beneficial impact on your life I can see how some people couldn't give a shit about voting especially if you see politicians as one amorphous blob of 'them'.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Apr 2021 10:21:15 25,708 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Of course, I can understand people feeling their vote doesn't matter when their system uses First Past the Post. ;p
  • Nazo 6 Apr 2021 10:21:32 1,781 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    puddleduck wrote:
    Nazo wrote:
    Don't think I've ever had to queue in London (suburb), straight in and out every time.
    After the Mayoral election I'm not going to bother any more though, I no longer wish to participate in the pretence that we live in a democracy.
    That's basically voting Tory. Which if you're fine with that, then sure.

That's going to happen anyway. In my 43 years of life we've had one non-Tory government.
    It's not about sulking about getting the 'wrong' result, it's about there never being any hope of any other result.
    The vast majority of our press is now little more than propaganda for the Tories, vast sums are spent on unregulated social media campaigns to the same end, even the neutrality of TV news is under assault.

Democracy is not just the ability to put crosses in boxes, it requires checks and balances to ensure fairness and these have been completely swept away.

To continue to participate in elections merely adds legitimacy to an utterly broken system that is completely unfit for purpose.
  • Bambot 6 Apr 2021 10:24:49 2,050 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    puddleduck wrote:
    Nazo wrote:
    That's basically voting Tory. Which if you're fine with that, then sure.

That's going to happen anyway. In my 43 years of life we've had one non-Tory government.
    It's not about sulking about getting the 'wrong' result, it's about there never being any hope of any other result.
    The vast majority of our press is now little more than propaganda for the Tories, vast sums are spent on unregulated social media campaigns to the same end, even the neutrality of TV news is under assault.

Democracy is not just the ability to put crosses in boxes, it requires checks and balances to ensure fairness and these have been completely swept away.

To continue to participate in elections merely adds legitimacy to an utterly broken system that is completely unfit for purpose.
    It absolutely astonishes me that you're so blind to the fact that the more people like you whine that "the tories always win anyway so I'm not even going to try, therefore allowing them to win yet again, which will just confirm to my shallow mind that I was right to not even bother trying", the more likely they are to fucking win again.

Absolutely beggars belief.

Where I lived until recently the local Tory was firmly ejected in the last election. Because people who aren't as lazily edgily cynical as you got up off their arses to vote for someone else.

So yeah, I'll keep voting for people who aren't Tories, because that's how it works.

Edited by Bambot at 10:27:53 06-04-2021
  • Mola_Ram 6 Apr 2021 10:28:01 25,708 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    Are there people out there supporting electoral reform that you could get behind?
  • robthehermit 6 Apr 2021 10:28:32 8,406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I don't vote, so no time at all.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Apr 2021 10:29:49 23,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Of course, I can understand people feeling their vote doesn't matter when their system uses First Past the Post. ;p
    It really isn't fit for purpose, I wonder whether it ever was. Or maybe the sheer ineptitude, hubris gaslighting of current British politics has exposed it's uselessness even more.
  • Bambot 6 Apr 2021 10:31:14 2,050 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Nazo wrote:
    Are there people out there supporting electoral reform that you could get behind?
    If there were, he'd have found them by now, and started doing something about it, something he believes in.

There probably are, but he wouldn't know, because he doesn't really care. The malignance in his tone is mostly driven by anger as a defence mechanism against a question like yours, which will catch him out as someone who uses "the system is broken, man" as a lazy excuse to mask his weak and lazy attitude to doing anything that doesn't directly and immediately benefit him.
  • Bichii 6 Apr 2021 10:31:55 4,517 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Having some politicians I'd like to vote for would be a lovely start. Someone like Alexandra Ocasio Cortez orJacinda Ardern I'd campaign for. There are a few others I like internationally but there have only been a couple I've seen nationally I liked and none have been my local ones.
  • Rum_Monkey 6 Apr 2021 10:35:08 2,673 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Bambot off his meds this morning.
  • Bambot 6 Apr 2021 10:35:37 2,050 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    I've had two alarmingly strong coffees, that's for sure.

But also, I just don't get it. I cannot, for the life of me, compute why going ten, maybe 15 minutes down the road to put a tick in a box, is such a difficult proposition that they would rather not do anything, and continue to whine about the results. I hear all their reasoning, I see where they think they're coming from, but it just hits a brick wall for me. All I hear is "I didn't get my way so I'm not playing".

Edited by Bambot at 10:37:47 06-04-2021
  • JamboWayOh 6 Apr 2021 10:37:55 23,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If only Higgy was still here, he'd call of all you fucking Tories.
  • boo 6 Apr 2021 10:55:57 13,798 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    I'll still go and vote even though it feels like pissing against the wind.

You can't rightfully complain about the current shitty government unless you actually tried to do something about it when given a chance.
    QFT
  • General_Martok 6 Apr 2021 11:11:12 2,200 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    I've had two alarmingly strong coffees, that's for sure.

But also, I just don't get it. I cannot, for the life of me, compute why going ten, maybe 15 minutes down the road to put a tick in a box, is such a difficult proposition that they would rather not do anything, and continue to whine about the results. I hear all their reasoning, I see where they think they're coming from, but it just hits a brick wall for me. All I hear is "I didn't get my way so I'm not playing".
    They'll never get their way if they don't vote.
  • nickthegun 6 Apr 2021 11:19:17 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    In mitigation, there are occasions when I havent felt like voting. I live in such a tory area, my vote doesnt count and on a national scale, I dont feel like any of the parties other than maybe Green represent me.

In almost every election I can remember, I have voted *against* the tories rather than for the person im putting my cross next to.
  • robthehermit 6 Apr 2021 11:29:48 8,406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Where I am, conservatives took 60% of the last vote and beat Labour by around 3 to 1, so it would take a miracle for that to change anytime soon. And to be honest, I do ok as things currently stand so I'm alright with that.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.