Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FPTP in action ladies and gents.
  • brokenkey 6 Apr 2021 11:54:56 10,948 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Iím in Switzerland, despite having been here for 15 years and having a permanent residency permit, Iím not allowed to vote. Nice, eh? You must be a Swiss citizen, I havenít voted in 20 years or so , wasnít allowed to vote in the Brexit nor Scottish Independence referendums either.
    So yeah, fuck knows.
    Gosh, that's the worst of both worlds! Technically it makes sense I guess, but feels very wrong! One should be able to vote somewhere?!
    No taxation without representation!
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Apr 2021 12:05:42 16,910 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    UK

Generally when I vote there are fewer than 2 people before me in the line, often zero. And there are usually 2 people doing the sign ins. Therefore the queue time is generally just the time it takes to check my details at the desk.

There was one election I had to queue. That took about 20 minutes.
  • DaM 6 Apr 2021 12:26:13 17,681 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Can't recall ever having to queue, walk in walk out. I spend more time chatting/ranting with people I might know representing parties outside.

Might be different this year with Covid, but it's never going to be US levels, that's a deliberate ploy to put peple off. Can't figure out why there isn't more of an outcry about it. I'm sure UK times will increase if the Tories get their photo id checking through.
  • puddleduck 6 Apr 2021 12:57:15 1,987 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If all the people who are apathetic actually voted for the opposition they wouldn't have a majority.

I think the Tory propaganda's biggest success is actually convincing everyone that all politicians are basically the same so it doesn't matter if you vote at all.

No one has to vote for a party that 100% reflects everything they want the country to be. But as a start if you find one that isn't basically run by a bunch of sociopathic cunts and vote for them there's at least a chance the country might find a better direction.

Otherwise not voting quite literally is basically an endorsement for the current political incumbent.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Apr 2021 13:07:27 16,910 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Living in London it is completely the other way round. Labour will always easily win in my constituency.
  • Nazo 6 Apr 2021 13:25:17 1,781 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Nazo wrote:
    To continue to participate in elections merely adds legitimacy to an utterly broken system that is completely unfit for purpose.
    Are there people out there supporting electoral reform that you could get behind?
    If there were, he'd have found them by now, and started doing something about it, something he believes in.

There probably are, but he wouldn't know, because he doesn't really care. The malignance in his tone is mostly driven by anger as a defence mechanism against a question like yours, which will catch him out as someone who uses "the system is broken, man" as a lazy excuse to mask his weak and lazy attitude to doing anything that doesn't directly and immediately benefit him.
    Oh go fuck yourself you sanctimonious cunt. I've voted in every single election that I've been in this country for.
    What a lot of unfounded assumptions and complete bollocks there are in this post, I seem to have hit a real nerve. I notice you fail to engage with any of the points I made were they a bit difficult for you to get your tiny mind around?

Edited by Nazo at 13:26:13 06-04-2021
  • Cappy 6 Apr 2021 13:25:59 14,291 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Food and drinks are fine as long as they are distributed by a neutral party with no political association, no bottles of water labelled courtesy of Joe Biden - Child sniff with pride, it's not exactly difficult to grasp why they'd want to curtail any attempts to influence voters.

Edited by Cappy at 13:27:55 06-04-2021
  • Deleted user 6 April 2021 13:29:01
    10 mins tops and that was when I went after work peak time.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2021 13:35:37
    puddleduck wrote:
    If all the people who are apathetic actually voted for the opposition they wouldn't have a majority.

I think the Tory propaganda's biggest success is actually convincing everyone that all politicians are basically the same so it doesn't matter if you vote at all.

No one has to vote for a party that 100% reflects everything they want the country to be. But as a start if you find one that isn't basically run by a bunch of sociopathic cunts and vote for them there's at least a chance the country might find a better direction.

Otherwise not voting quite literally is basically an endorsement for the current political incumbent.
    Much like the US there are only a few regions in the UK which are genuine swing constituencies. Labour's biggest problem which they fail to acknowledge is the SNP have gelded them of a block of safe seats and the others fucked off and joined the tories.
  • Nazo 6 Apr 2021 13:38:23 1,781 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Nazo wrote:
    To continue to participate in elections merely adds legitimacy to an utterly broken system that is completely unfit for purpose.
    Are there people out there supporting electoral reform that you could get behind?
    Yes there absolutely are and I've considered getting involved with them but I see the electoral system as only a small part of the problem.
    The larger problem is the influence the rich and powerful have over the media, which allows them to dictate public discourse, and the lack of interest the average person has in politics.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Apr 2021 13:39:32 23,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Food and drinks are fine as long as they are distributed by a neutral party with no political association, no bottles of water labelled courtesy of Joe Biden - Child sniff with pride, it's not exactly difficult to grasp why they'd want to curtail any attempts to influence voters.
    Right, okay buddy.
  • Rogueywon 6 Apr 2021 13:46:53 11,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Swing states/constituencies can and do change over time. Trump won the 2016 election because his campaign team worked out that Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, which had been solidly blue for decades, were now in play. He lost for a number of reasons in 2020, but a failure to recognise that "safe" red states like Arizona were no longer safe was a big part of it.

Florida, which has been considered the definitive swing state since at least 2000 is being transformed by demographics into a safe red state (Trump held it comfortably in 2020). Texas, long considered the ultimate safe red state, is turning purple thanks to demographics and may well go to the Democrats in 2028 or so on current trends.

Elections are often won by the party that can identify their opponent's "safe" States/seats that are actually winnable. In the UK, there was a big realignment in "red wall" seats, but traditionally safe blue seats in the Remain-voting non-London South might be getting squishier.

Parties realign over time and change their voter base, just as the electorate itself changes. In the US, FDR won every State by Maine and Vermont for the Democrats in 1936 and Reagan won every State bar Minnesota and District of Columbia for the Republicans in 1984.
  • TechnoHippy 6 Apr 2021 13:56:54 19,001 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    While I do vote every time, because of where I live if you don't vote conservative you might as well not bother.
  • Tonka 6 Apr 2021 14:30:01 31,789 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Thanks for all the replies. It seems like voting isn't much of a hassle in most places. I honestly have no idea how it works in any countries except for Sweden, and the bad parts of America. But by the sound of it I can continue thinking that it mostly works like it does in Sweden. (i.e. not much time wasted waiting in a line)
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Apr 2021 14:48:26 30,322 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    gammonbanter wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Iím in Switzerland, despite having been here for 15 years and having a permanent residency permit, Iím not allowed to vote. Nice, eh? You must be a Swiss citizen, I havenít voted in 20 years or so , wasnít allowed to vote in the Brexit nor Scottish Independence referendums either.
    So yeah, fuck knows.
    Gosh, that's the worst of both worlds! Technically it makes sense I guess, but feels very wrong! One should be able to vote somewhere?!
    No taxation without representation!
    I wish!
  • brainbird 6 Apr 2021 18:49:25 2,661 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies. It seems like voting isn't much of a hassle in most places. I honestly have no idea how it works in any countries except for Sweden, and the bad parts of America. But by the sound of it I can continue thinking that it mostly works like it does in Sweden. (i.e. not much time wasted waiting in a line)
    Fuck walking to vote. I fill out a form and send it back by mail in the prestamped and addressed envelope. Takes me all the time to tick a couple of boxes. That's how we roll in Switzerland (only us yodelling Swiss though, sorry Armoured Bear). Whoever thought the system might be prone to abuse never bothered to take a closer look. It's safe. Unless you live in a developing country like the US.

Edited by brainbird at 18:50:22 06-04-2021
  • JoeBlade 6 Apr 2021 19:03:12 6,034 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Belgium, and it's been really weird.

For the last 4-5 elections or so I had to go to the same place, which had several stations. Before the most recent election it was in-and-out at all stations except the one where I had to vote, which had a queue of several dozens of people.
    It took me an hour - if not more - between entering and leaving the building.

During the most recent election it was in-and-out as well though. Not sure where they went wrong in the elections before that.
  • Trafford 6 Apr 2021 19:38:59 9,202 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I once had to wait 18 years!
  • elstoof 6 Apr 2021 19:41:42 27,143 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I went to a French presidential vote in London, queued for about 2 hours in a school in Kentish Town for that
  • elstoof 6 Apr 2021 19:44:58 27,143 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    At least you donít get a fine for not voting, like in Australia eh
  • JoeBlade 6 Apr 2021 19:51:26 6,034 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Actually, you do in Belgium.
  • BreadBinLidHero 6 Apr 2021 21:10:12 10,587 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm unable to vote in NZ yet, but I didn't see any queues at polling stations last year.

I appreciate Bambot's histrionic preaching, but let's not pretend that massive numbers of votes aren't meaningless under FPTP. It's easy to say 'if all the lazy and disillusioned people went out and voted things would change', but that's not necessarily true. It depends heavily on where voters are. That's how bad FPTP is, it essentially disenfranchises vast swathes of the population and props up two zombie parties - it's a blight on British politics.

You should go out and vote, but unless the mathematics fall correctly in your constituency your vote is symbolic at best.
  • JoeBlade 6 Apr 2021 21:28:11 6,034 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    While proportional representation has its issues - we still have the shameful world record for longest time without an elected government for a reason - I still have difficulty understanding, let alone endorsing FPTP.

The mere psychological effect of indirectly telling voters 'yeah, well, your vote really was pointless' in the sense that it literally doesn't count seems so outlandish. I have a very hard time wrapping my head around it.
  • BreadBinLidHero 6 Apr 2021 21:47:05 10,587 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's a fucking disgrace. No electoral system is perfect, and it may be that, in any given democracy, different systems are needed at different times depending on the party politics and prevailing political culture of the moment.

In the UK the party politics and prevailing political culture are worsened enormously by FPTP, IMO.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Apr 2021 22:03:08 23,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BreadBinLidHero wrote:
    It's a fucking disgrace. No electoral system is perfect, and it may be that, in any given democracy, different systems are needed at different times depending on the party politics and prevailing political culture of the moment.

In the UK the party politics and prevailing political culture are worsened enormously by FPTP, IMO.
    Like I said earlier it definitely adds weight to those people who feel as if they haven't experienced any improvements in their lives. FPTP is a fucking disease.
  • BreadBinLidHero 7 Apr 2021 00:40:27 10,587 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    BreadBinLidHero wrote:

Like I said earlier it definitely adds weight to those people who feel as if they haven't experienced any improvements in their lives. FPTP is a fucking disease.
    Brexit probably helped by this feeling. After the referendum some said they chose to vote Leave as a bit of a 'fuck you' to the London liberal elite. Obviously delivering such a message via parliamentary elections under the UK's FPTP system is currently nigh-on impossible, in a binary referendum, though, the politicians have to listen to you.
  • Mola_Ram 7 Apr 2021 02:56:19 25,708 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    At least you donít get a fine for not voting, like in Australia eh
    Technically it's a fine for not showing up to vote. Once you get your name marked off you can do whatever, even walk right out if you want to.

I don't mind it, really. It still gives you the option of not voting for anyone, but you have to commit to it more than you'd do in a complete optional-voting system. It forces you to really think about it, and imo that's a good thing overall.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 04:17:53 07-04-2021
  • Tonka 7 Apr 2021 06:13:08 31,789 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I like the sound of that Irish thing. Single transferable vote. Sounds like FPTP is the polar opposite to that.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.