Ratchet & Clank - Rift Apart (PS5) Page 17

• Derblington 14 Jun 2021 10:40:03 35,099 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There's some VO from Mort that tells you Trudi can do it during that mission. It's not an unlock, just gated until a specific point.
  • Wayne 14 Jun 2021 10:41:59 3,955 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Derblington Cheers dude. I had my suspicions it was something like that. Seemed a bit arbitrary, but on the scheme of things, not a problem.
    I'm loving this game. The pacing is just superb.
  • Daeltaja 14 Jun 2021 10:43:37 2,060 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No bugs here, either (yet), but SM:MM murdered my PS5, constant crashes.

The game is fun so far, but I don't think Sargasso was the best first choice planet post-Nefarious City. It's just a huge step down in visuals and the level design is really generic. Besides, who the hell likes swamp levels? Luckily things pick back up again pretty quickly, Savali looks great and I love the rocket boots.

My only other small gripe is the floating jumping - at times it feels like the game is built in Unity, the way the character gets stuck briefly on the edge of a platform in a t-pose.
  • Decks 14 Jun 2021 10:47:24 30,855 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think Sargasso looks great.
  • SolidSCB 14 Jun 2021 10:51:58 16,630 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I'm glad it isn't all neon reflective stuff. It would have just felt like a Ray Tracing tech demo. The variety of locations is very welcome.
  • Wayne 14 Jun 2021 11:12:13 3,955 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Being able to change the currency to "rubees" was a bit ballsy.
  • Rogueywon 14 Jun 2021 11:36:34 12,260 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    Being able to change the currency to "rubees" was a bit ballsy.
    Almost as ballsy as one of the cosmetic weapon options for Rivet being a bloody Keyblade.
  • Darren 14 Jun 2021 13:12:55 9,637 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I downloaded the Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade update for PS5, which I finished the PS4 version of last week, on Friday and ended up replaying a lot of that game instead of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

Anyway, finally managed to break away from that game and play more of the new Ratchet & Clank game on Sunday and I'm so glad I did. I was grinning from ear to ear playing almost all day yesterday, taking time to explore the first three worlds thoroughly (so far I have 8 hours clocked up on the game). This is absolutely one of the best games in this genre I've ever played. It's just so damn entertaining with beautifully realised and endearing characters, a well-written and amusing script, great voice acting and truly gorgeous environments to explore and shoot things in! The weapons are all supremely entertaining to use, there's a nice variety of enemies and the combat is just so damn enjoyable and chaotic. There are so also some amazing set-piece moments that made my jaw drop a few times.

Although it follows the familiar Ratchet & Clank formula of shooting, exploring, platforming and puzzles, it is expertly executed here, so much so that the 2016 reboot looks clunky in comparison. The way the cutscenes seamlessly blend into gameplay is amazing, helped by not having any loading screens at all. Everything is rendered in-engine so there are none of those jarring CGI cutscenes that the last game had that are so obviously different from the game cutscenes. Real-time cutscenes with no loading scenes into gameplay make such a big difference to the immersion in my opinion. The 2016 Ratchet & Clank reboot still looks great but you see where the last gen tech is holding back the game design. The rifts found in each of the worlds not only look amazing from a technical and graphical standpoint but are fun side distractions that give you new armour pieces. The game constantly feels rewarding to play and I honestly found it hard to stop playing. I really hope Insomniac release expansion DLC for this game because I honestly do not want it to end.

The only gripes so far are that the music is too quiet (even though it is on 10) and that it is all too easy to get stuck on scenery while exploring, forcing a checkpoint restart to fix. There are also a lot of places where it looks like you can go but then Ratchet falls through solid scenery. Also, I found places with invisible walls. It's a minor thing but considering how other more open areas have electric force-fields in place that appear as you approach them to show you were the world boundaries are then it's odd that these are not used everywhere. The city for example encourages exploration but there are quite a few invisible walls and solid objects there that I was falling through. These stand out only because everything else is so polished.

Rivet is an awesome character but it really is a shame that Insomniac didn't make her play a bit differently to Ratchet as she uses the same weapons and armour sets! There was an opportunity there to do something different, say, have her have telekenic powers or something. They could have given her an option to morph into enemies. The opportunity was there but in the end she is just a female skin of Ratchet. Makes sense for the dimensional theme of the plot but even so, slightly disappointing that she just has the exact same abilities.

Also, came noticed an oddity while playing the game yesterday. I'd just finished 100% exploring a level as Rivet (spent about 3 hours on this one level) then decided to backtrack to the first world. Instead of arriving there as Rivet, I was suddenly Ratchet which was a bit jarring as the cutscene showed Rivet taking off in the ship but when it arrived on the first planet it was Ratchet that got out!!! It seems that the characters are restricted to certain planets, which is an odd decision considering how Ratchet and Rivet play identically!
  • spookyxelectric 14 Jun 2021 16:40:28 595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is there a way to check how many teddy bears you're missing? Or better yet, which planets you've found the teddy bears in? I want to tick them all off before I head to the final mission.

Oh, and I imagine this is going to be my game of the year. It is a bit an easy win since there isn't much out this year, but even if the year was stacked, I'm loving it enough to have it up for consideration.
  • Derblington 14 Jun 2021 16:43:26 35,099 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    No, no bear tracker.
  • spookyxelectric 14 Jun 2021 16:44:25 595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Damn. Oh well. I guess I know what I'll be doing all evening.
  • Decks 14 Jun 2021 16:49:12 30,855 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It shows you on the activities on the dash how many you have left to find.
  • spookyxelectric 14 Jun 2021 16:51:10 595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks. I'm missing 3, apparently. Ah, if only I knew where. But it's a start.
  • atthegates 14 Jun 2021 17:43:40 9 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @dfunked09 Thanks for the reply. Yeah it really does seem like a ymmv situation. My wife is more of a fan of it than i am (i just wanna see that pretty rt) so i'll probably pick it up sooner rather than later
  • dfunked09 14 Jun 2021 17:44:43 2,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Didn't bother picking up the sniper rifle as I just didn't see the point of one in a game like this, then played the gold challenge and fell in love with it instantly. Feels awesome and I can only imagine how fun it'll be at level 5 with everything unlocked (or level 10!)

I'm torn between cleaning up everything on my first playthrough or cracking on and finishing asap (I'm at what I'm assuming is a point of no return in the story)
    I'll inevitably start a challenge mode playthrough so that I can get the guns up to level 10, so will probably do the latter so that I have more than just the story to get through.

Edited by dfunked09 at 17:46:18 14-06-2021
  • Kangoo 14 Jun 2021 19:10:32 1,441 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Finished with the platinum tonight. Outstanding game, graphically this is off the charts and if this is what the next gen consoles ate capable of after 6 months, can't wait to see what we will be looking at in a few years.

So much fun to play, Rivet is a great new character to bring in and hopefully this will give the devs somewhere fresh to go for the inevitable sequels.

The sound, as others have said was a bit quiet in places but I guess that can be patched. Only 1 endless fall within the 1st 10 minutes and the RYNO never triggered at the end but these were the only issues I had.

Also noticed that my PS5 never made a sound all the way through, bodes well for future games that push the system further. Funny how you take these things for granted after getting used to the PS4 fans kicking in when things got taxing.

Highly recommend this for anyone looking for something fun to play that will put a smile on your face.
  • dfunked09 14 Jun 2021 22:34:58 2,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Just finished it too and will definitely be back in challenge mode to mop up some trophies. Great stuff, and probably would've been a GotY contender if it wasn't all so familiar.

Loved the Rivet & Kit storyline, and switching between her and Ratchet never got old.
    Superb score and the sound design in general is just top notch. Definitely a showcase for 3D audio, even on my wanky old gold headset.

If this is the kind of technical showcase that we get a few months into a console generation... I feel weak at the knees just thinking about the future!

An absolute joy to play.

Edited by dfunked09 at 22:36:06 14-06-2021
  • PazJohnMitch 14 Jun 2021 22:54:17 17,170 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I finished it too. 100% in game completion but missing about 6 trophies.
  • spookyxelectric 15 Jun 2021 01:38:06 595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Also finished it. Loved it. Trophy related question, I'll put it in spoilers just in case.

For the Fully Stacked trophy, is there an additonal weapon once you've found all the bears? If not, PSN failed to unlock it even after I've purchased everything and unlocked the RYNO. In which case, I'll give up on the Platinum.
  • SolidSCB 15 Jun 2021 01:42:39 16,630 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Start it in challenge mode, first shop.
  • spookyxelectric 15 Jun 2021 01:47:13 595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ahh okay. Thanks!
  • Decks 15 Jun 2021 19:55:16 30,855 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shit Torren IV looks amazing.
  • neems 15 Jun 2021 22:16:39 5,608 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Shit Torren IV looks amazing.
    Yeah just did that, absolutely stunning.
  • Daeltaja 16 Jun 2021 21:50:49 2,060 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Platinumed. What a lovely little game. Perfectly paced, not an ounce of padding. I like how they introduced mechanics gradually and how they were woven into the levels. The variety in locations was also perfect.

Only had 1 crash and the final boss trophy didn't pop so had to replay the end section, but overall super polished and loved every minute of it!
  • dfunked09 17 Jun 2021 08:53:41 2,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The kill enemies with reflected shots from the void shield weapon is a bit of a bastard if you don't start it early on... Only possible to start it when the gun is level 5, and even then it chews through ammo so fast and rarely seems to actually kill even weaker enemies.

Last one left before the plat for me... Definitely something I wish I'd started on sooner.
  • PazJohnMitch 17 Jun 2021 12:03:03 17,170 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Looking at the trophies I have left that one and the teddies are a pain. (Although if I can be arsed to get a platinum I will probably just use a guide for the teddies).
  • dfunked09 17 Jun 2021 14:14:54 2,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @PazJohnMitch
    Yeah, teddies aren't tracked anywhere in game it seems, so a bit of a bastard to even attempt without a guide. I just went with a guide and smashed through them quickly.

The one I'm talking about wasn't actually all that bad if you do it on the first bronze challenge at Zurkies (which is also handy for levelling up guns). Get through wave 1 quickly with any weapon, hit the guys in the second wave a few times with your wrench until they're nearly dead, then use the void shield reflection to finish them off. Finish wave 2 and then restart checkpoint and get through wave 1 again quickly and repeat.

Plat now done... What a great game :)
  • Scimarad 17 Jun 2021 16:52:58 9,962 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm finding this one way may enjoyable than the PS4 one.
  • Decks 17 Jun 2021 16:57:35 30,855 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh it's not even close. The combat and general feel of everything is on a different level to the one I played on PS4.
  • PazJohnMitch 17 Jun 2021 20:13:51 17,170 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @dfunked09

Thanks for the suggestions. Nor have the Platinum.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.