Ratchet & Clank - Rift Apart (PS5) Page 3

• JamboWayOh 26 Apr 2021 23:47:11 24,302 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So that looks like an animated movie. Pixar level.
  • richardiox 26 Apr 2021 23:49:04 9,840 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Really puts the pricing into context when you need to set aside £140 to pick up a couple of games.

Really annoying as this and Returnal are both games I would have 100% picked up at launch if they were more sensibly priced.
  • Wayne 27 Apr 2021 00:03:04 3,626 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I really didnít want to want this game, but now I do.
  • Decks 27 Apr 2021 07:30:41 30,271 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Really puts the pricing into context when you need to set aside £140 to pick up a couple of games.

Really annoying as this and Returnal are both games I would have 100% picked up at launch if they were more sensibly priced.
    RRP for these games last gen would have been £55 so you still would have been looking at £110. And both games can be found for around the £60.

Things get more expensive because money loses about 30% of its value every 10 years. People need to come to terms with this or just sell the console, the price increase is not going anywhere.
  • richardiox 27 Apr 2021 07:47:01 9,840 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Decks

I'm not going to sell the console, and £110 is more reasonable for me than £140...like what, 40% less?

I'll just wait for these games to get cheaper and jump in then. Fact remains is they've lost a launch customer. I get things get more expensive over time but it's not uniform - in the whole gaming space the £70 RRP thing has only happened with Sony first party games.

Third party games are still "last gen" prices on PS5. Xbox Games haven't been bumped to £70 either.
  • creepiest-lizard 27 Apr 2021 07:56:58 2,591 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just play it, finish it and sell it. You get two thirds of what you spent back. Job done.
  • monkman76 27 Apr 2021 07:57:30 18,725 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not even close to 40% less, no.
  • monkman76 27 Apr 2021 07:58:38 18,725 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Just play it, finish it and sell it. You get two thirds of what you spent back. Job done.
    And where does that leave us PS5 Digital owners?! Hm?!
  • dfunked09 27 Apr 2021 08:01:19 2,077 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @monkman76
    Right where Sony wants you.
  • SolidSCB 27 Apr 2021 08:11:43 16,085 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The thing is we knew. We knew some of the games were £70 before the console ever landed in our homes. It's not as if it was some surprise reveal.

So obviously the sensible thing to do was buy a console on release and make £70 Demon's Souls successful enough for them to know the price isn't a deal breaker then moan about it whenever other games tried to release at the same price. I just don't get it at all.
  • creepiest-lizard 27 Apr 2021 08:29:58 2,591 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @monkman76
    Good point that I should have thought of as I'll be getting a digital one as well whenever thats Fucking possible.
    Yep. They have us by the short and curlies, no doubt about it.
  • nickthegun 27 Apr 2021 08:33:58 86,900 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Things get more expensive because money loses about 30% of its value every 10 years. People need to come to terms with this or just sell the console, the price increase is not going anywhere.
    The weaselly thing left out of this argument is that repeatable production techniques, ancillary revenue streams and a vastly bigger audience mean prices, if anything, should be falling. Itís absolute bullshit.
  • Decks 27 Apr 2021 09:35:03 30,271 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Games were 40 quid in the 90's. Which is around £83 in today's money. So we have had a price decrease.
  • Rogueywon 27 Apr 2021 09:38:25 11,963 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The test of this will come in the Autumn. Right now, as we're less than 6 months into the new console cycle, the ratio of exclusives to multi-platform titles is skewed more heavily to the former than it usually is. Once we get to the usual Death March to Christmas of AAA releases from September to November, it'll be interesting to see if a position of £70 for a game on PS5 compared to £60 for Xbox and £50 for PC really holds up.
  • nickthegun 27 Apr 2021 09:44:26 86,900 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well, yes, thats kind of my point and we have just, more or less, done away with manufacturing and distribution costs.

But, regardless, its a bitter pill to swallow because we dont pay for anything at full price in this country. Designer outlets and the internet sell us cheap clothes, furniture is always on sale, music and movies are essentially free and games arent far behind.

People were always going to baulk at paying 70 quid for a game regardless of whether or not they knew what they were getting into. I suppose the problem is the success of the PS4. Most people are jumping from a platform where games halve in value after a month to a platform with no new games and the ones coming out are more expensive than any other game on any other platform.

Which is the thing that really sticks in your throat. Its only sony who have jacked the prices up.
  • Rhaegyr 27 Apr 2021 09:44:58 5,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Games were 40 quid in the 90's. Which is around £83 in today's money. So we have had a price decrease.
    Hasn't the market grown massively since then, though?
  • Decks 27 Apr 2021 09:46:15 30,271 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't get me wrong, I don't like paying more but literally everything else on the planet goes up in price, I don't understand why people seem to expect games to be exempt from it. Especially now they involve hundreds of people working for several years to make them. Sony never use microtransactions and regularly give away quite a bit of post release content so the money has got to come from somewhere.
  • Decks 27 Apr 2021 09:48:30 30,271 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    As has the scope of the games and the massive amounts of time and manpower that it take to make them. Hundreds of people being paid for years worth of work on salaries that have also increased with the rate of inflation.
  • nickthegun 27 Apr 2021 09:50:44 86,900 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Because over the last few years we were taught media is worthless, especially by sony and their constant sales.

People arent surprised its just that their concept of value has been completely changed. I suspect most people complaining havent paid full price for a game in years. I mean, I knew full well I would have to swallow 70 quid in the short/medium term when I bought the PS5 but knowing and doing are very different.
  • Rhaegyr 27 Apr 2021 09:57:41 5,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    As has the scope of the games and the massive amounts of time and manpower that it take to make them. Hundreds of people being paid for years worth of work on salaries that have also increased with the rate of inflation.
    This is only true for the top end 'AAA' games isn't it?

Housemarque have around 80 employees. Disco Elysium was most outlets' GOTY last year and was made by a team of 20-30 people.
  • Gibroon 27 Apr 2021 09:59:12 2,633 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    If you didn't expect to pay premium prices for games in the first year of a new console, you have not paid much attention to previous generations. It is what it is.

Someone also mentioned that some games are still 50 quid when new like resi 8 but they are cross platform and not designed with new consoles in mind as they need to be played on last gen consoles. Obviously they are cheaper as they are going to get a lot of sales from last gen.

I would prefer if games were £50 obviously but when you are adding extra shinies or a brand new ip with a smaller market due to a lack of new consoles, it makes sense to put them at a higher price to cover costs. Sometimes you have to pay the premium or we are going to get lower grade games still using UE4 engine(please burn it) to keep costs down.
  • monkman76 27 Apr 2021 09:59:48 18,725 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do you mean Hades? Disco Elysium was 2019. Either way, neither was close to full price, and neither had close to the production values of Returnal, so it seems moot to me.
  • Rhaegyr 27 Apr 2021 10:01:58 5,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Do you mean Hades? Disco Elysium was 2019. Either way, neither was close to full price, and neither had close to the production values of Returnal, so it seems moot to me.
    Ah, my mistake.
  • Decks 27 Apr 2021 10:05:22 30,271 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Because over the last few years we were taught media is worthless, especially by sony and their constant sales.

People arent surprised its just that their concept of value has been completely changed. I suspect most people complaining havent paid full price for a game in years. I mean, I knew full well I would have to swallow 70 quid in the short/medium term when I bought the PS5 but knowing and doing are very different.
    I wouldn't say the sales have made me feel that media is worthless. Just that they have a pricing stategy to try and make as much money as possible. Release at full price for the rubes like me, then gradually decrease the price to get as many people to buy it as possible. Again it happens with everything so I don't know why it's only media that gets singled out as being worthless. This stuff costs astronomical amounts to make now.
  • Humperfunk 27 Apr 2021 10:06:26 8,586 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Man that Ratchet game sure looks good eh
  • nickthegun 27 Apr 2021 10:08:50 86,900 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh yeah, Ive said this before on here, the price rises are to frontload the profits with the whales and reduce the price for a long tail.

Media gets singled out for being worthless because it is. We stream everything and for the things we dont, its always on sale.

And, I know this is a contentious one, nobody asked for these things to cost astronomical amounts of money. Nobody said 'please waste millions of pounds on half arsed development cycles' or whatever else they jizz money on.
  • PierrePressure 27 Apr 2021 10:11:30 1,439 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've got no problem with the £70 price point, obviously I'd like it cheaper and I can understand differing views on it. In this case I think I'll wait for the sub £50 sale and buy it. The next Naughty Dog game/Final Fantasy will be day one so I'll have to take that £70 on the chin.
  • monkman76 27 Apr 2021 10:11:53 18,725 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But we expect gigantic, ultra-realistic looking worlds to run around in, so we kind of do ask for it.
  • nickthegun 27 Apr 2021 10:14:04 86,900 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The vast, vast majority of people wouldnt notice a reduction in graphical fidelity if it meant keeping the cost down.
  • Decks 27 Apr 2021 10:15:59 30,271 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well people want bigger and better games which are going to cost more and more to make. And I don't know how much money is wasted on development, it's sounds like they're working people to the fucking bone.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.